PDA

View Full Version : Praccy Round 9 or 18.. who's fair dinkum??????

oldracer
5th December 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm only getting to play between 5-9 holes with 2-3 balls depending on fairways hit a few times a week, but give up on the crappy shot so really I'm playing best ball by myself and getting really frustrated with it, anyone else half arse practise rounds like this???? Should I just play one ball to the death? Haha my best ball is awesome golf!!!!!!

KristianJ
5th December 2013, 09:28 PM
Play worst ball...forces you to be on song for every shot.

I had a a practice 9 this arvo. It wadn't worst ball but more a match play, and it was blowing a gale (I generally struggle in windy conditions).

I had to think a fair bit about what shots to play and how to keep the ball low when hitting into it...hit driver off the deck at one stage and was very happy with the result.

I find it's easy to throw pre shot routine out the window as well, so today I was a bit more deliberate in checking my alignment and where my target line actually was.

Pretty decent hour and a half in the end...

AndyP
5th December 2013, 09:36 PM
Mix it up, so it doesn't get boring. I used to do the matchplay between two balls often too. Now it's all about the speed golf.

oldracer
5th December 2013, 09:47 PM
Play worst ball...forces you to be on song for every shot.

I had a a practice 9 this arvo. It wadn't worst ball but more a match play, and it was blowing a gale (I generally struggle in windy conditions).

I had to think a fair bit about what shots to play and how to keep the ball low when hitting into it...hit driver off the deck at one stage and was very happy with the result.

I find it's easy to throw pre shot routine out the window as well, so today I was a bit more deliberate in checking my alignment and where my target line actually was.

Pretty decent hour and a half in the end... guess by playing best ball I'm kidding myself so worst ball should make me be more diligent with alignment and results rather than just be stoked with one pured 5 iron out of 3!! mmm driver off the deck in Nagambie is tantamount to sacrificing the driver but well played, very creative, that's what this game's about, the hero shot surely!!!! maybe not :roll:

AndyP
5th December 2013, 10:21 PM
Best ball is good for confidence. Worst ball can be demoralising, if it gets messy.
You could play one ball, and if you weren't happy with a shot, play several from the same spot.

G.K
5th December 2013, 10:25 PM
Best ball is good for confidence. Worst ball can be demoralising, if it gets messy.
You could play one ball, and if you weren't happy with a shot, play several from the same spot.

+1

This is what I usually do. Unfortunately quite often my second and third attempt are just as bad :cry:

mrbluu
5th December 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm only getting to play between 5-9 holes with 2-3 balls depending on fairways hit a few times a week, but give up on the crappy shot so really I'm playing best ball by myself and getting really frustrated with it, anyone else half arse practise rounds like this???? Should I just play one ball to the death? Haha my best ball is awesome golf!!!!!!

I can't remember when i finished 9 practice holes by myself. I get bored then spend 20-30mins on some greens chipoing were its pretty quiet.

Hatchman
5th December 2013, 10:49 PM
Match play with two balls and take it serious trying to beat one against the other.
I find ball of different brands helps with this. Your usual gamer against something you'd like to try.

Ferrins
5th December 2013, 10:54 PM
I like to play matchplay so here are a couple of my variations. One ball off the back tee's and the other off the ladies. Another is 3 clubs only for one ball and 14 for the other.

Shortylook
5th December 2013, 11:14 PM
I try to play 18 holes for practice, so I get a feel for the shots I need to play when I'm in a certain spot. If I hit a bad shot I'll drop another ball and try to hit it sweet, but I'll always go to the bad shot and play it out. The second ball shows me that I can play a good shot if I slow down/concentrate/execute my shots. Sometimes if time is tight,9 holes are just the same, and I use the same option. But each to their own mate, some times I like to just hit shots from 40/50/60 out to start, then progress out to a longer distance. I find when I practice a fair bi my game seems to really seem easy. Im a 20 cap so you might think this is all bullshit for your style too. Happy golfing

Eca
5th December 2013, 11:54 PM
I could not do a prac round by myself, struggle to get myself on driving range unless theres a new toy to try or a buddy wants to have a hit & giggle.

I have to try the Matchplay thing.. never thought of that.

Peter
6th December 2013, 06:06 AM
Worst ball is bloody tough if you are honest about it.

The pros play it in one of those silly end of year skills events, and pars are golden.

matty
6th December 2013, 06:57 AM
In the next few weeks when I have the course to myself (unlikely over holiday period) I plan to play two balls, a best and worst ball.
The difference in scores could be scary.

3oneday
6th December 2013, 07:50 AM
Don't even know how many holes I played yesterday, wasn't 9. Beauty of hitting off at 6pm I guess :)

Hit a poor chip on my first hole so stayed there for 5 minutes, poor bunker shot on my 2nd, so stayed there for an extra 5 minutes. Got back to my car at 7.58pm, had fun.

Captain Nemo
6th December 2013, 08:12 AM
I play 3 balls from the ladies tees and play the best one of those....

Dotty
6th December 2013, 08:28 AM
I play 3 balls from the ladies tees and play the best one of those....
because the first two got wet.

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 08:34 AM
Who the hell practices???

dc68
6th December 2013, 08:53 AM

I concur.

Ferrins
6th December 2013, 09:17 AM
Some mere mortals have to in order to improve. Love the wank comments from low markers that they never practice though,makes me chuckle.

Marto65
6th December 2013, 09:20 AM
I don't get time to play 9 or 18 much as practice, so I just go to the local range to empty ball buckets.

AndyP
6th December 2013, 09:38 AM
I see it as playing golf, since I don't get to on as many weekends as I'd like.

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 09:42 AM
Some mere mortals have to in order to improve. Love the wank comments from low markers that they never practice though,makes me chuckle.

Well you say that but I can tell you the 4 times I've "practiced" in the last 15 months (excluding testing a new driver or 3 wood)
* hit 75 balls on the range before Palm Meadows
* hit 50ish balls on the range before City of Cairns ON THE WEDNESDAY (not even the big show)
* played 9 holes the Wednesday before my club champs final on the Sunday
* hit 40 or so of your pink balls on the range before Bribie Island.

That's it. God knows when it was before that. Probably club champs time in March / April.

Edit: Palm Meadows, not Paradise Palms.

mrbluu
6th December 2013, 09:46 AM
Don't even know how many holes I played yesterday, wasn't 9. Beauty of hitting off at 6pm I guess :)

Hit a poor chip on my first hole so stayed there for 5 minutes, poor bunker shot on my 2nd, so stayed there for an extra 5 minutes. Got back to my car at 7.58pm, had fun.

If I had to stay and extra 5mins everytime I hit a bad chip, I wouldn't be able to leave the course

mrbluu
6th December 2013, 09:50 AM
Well you say that but I can tell you the 4 times I've "practiced" in the last 15 months (excluding testing a new driver or 3 wood)
* hit 75 balls on the range before Paradise Palms
* hit 50ish balls on the range before City of Cairns ON THE WEDNESDAY (not even the big show)

That's it.

But don't you play 6-8 games a month???

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 09:59 AM
But don't you play 6-8 games a month???

Check my golflink mate. Struggle for 6-8 a quarter unless they're part of a tournament.

mrbluu
6th December 2013, 10:07 AM
Check my golflink mate. Struggle for 6-8 a quarter unless they're part of a tournament.

I did check your GL link but it didn't work so I assumed your were trying to his the evidence ;)

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 10:13 AM
I did check your GL link but it didn't work so I assumed your were trying to his the evidence ;)

Strange, it kinda works for me. Gets the correct URL, but doesn't give the details.

I've had 32 games over the last 12 months, which is quite high for me. If I didn't go to City of Cairns it would be 27.

Ferrins
6th December 2013, 10:42 AM
* hit 75 balls on the range before Palm Meadows

That's it. God knows when it was before that. Probably club champs time in March / April.

Edit: Palm Meadows, not Paradise Palms.
Does trying on golf clothes count as practice?

mrbluu
6th December 2013, 10:46 AM
Strange, it kinda works for me. Gets the correct URL, but doesn't give the details.

I've had 32 games over the last 12 months, which is quite high for me. If I didn't go to City of Cairns it would be 27.

wow, that is not many at all.....I've played 66 and that is not including 3 of the non comp rounds at the QLD Champs...No wonder my handicap is working it's way back down!!

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 11:14 AM
Does trying on golf clothes count as practice?

Not for madboarder...

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 11:14 AM
wow, that is not many at all.....I've played 66 and that is not including 3 of the non comp rounds at the QLD Champs...No wonder my handicap is working it's way back down!!

Yep, play bugger all, practice even less.

timah!
6th December 2013, 11:27 AM
I've had 32 games over the last 12 months

I've played 66

Up yours the pair of you...

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 11:32 AM
Up yours the pair of you...

I'm sure you could play more if you really wanted.

Doesn't sound like there's a lot of passion to though.

timah!
6th December 2013, 04:45 PM
I'm sure you could play more if you really wanted.

Doesn't sound like there's a lot of passion to though.

What makes you think that?

LeftyHoges
6th December 2013, 04:48 PM
What makes you think that?

Because if you really wanted to play it's easy to sneak out at 7 on a Saturday morning and be home by 11.30. Still plenty of time to get all the other stuff done that needs to be.

timah!
6th December 2013, 04:52 PM
Because if you really wanted to play it's easy to sneak out at 7 on a Saturday morning and be home by 11.30. Still plenty of time to get all the other stuff done that needs to be.

Fair enough :)

Captain Nemo
6th December 2013, 04:58 PM

Good on theory, but once you have kids......

mrbluu
6th December 2013, 05:04 PM
What makes you think that? I would have went for lack of equipment purchases in the last 12months ;)