PDA

View Full Version : Lost ball

weekend hacker
27th November 2013, 07:29 PM
I had an instance a few weeks ago where I teed off and hit it straight up the middle and my group saw it land and when we got up there my ball was gone and in its place was a b 51. Obviously someone has hit my ball by mistake but since we did not see it my scorer deemed it lost ball. Is this correct even though we all saw where my ball ended up?

Cheers

highballin
27th November 2013, 07:39 PM
I had an instance a few weeks ago where I teed off and hit it straight up the middle and my group saw it land and when we got up there my ball was gone and in its place was a b 51. Obviously someone has hit my ball by mistake but since we did not see it my scorer deemed it lost ball. Is this correct even though we all saw where my ball ended up?

Cheers

Yep your marker was correct. It sucks but it happens.

WBennett
27th November 2013, 08:36 PM
When you saw someone else hit it, call them out. I've had many a 'new Australian' return my Titleist shamefaced when called out for being a thief.

Yossarian
27th November 2013, 08:38 PM
Wtf is a new Australian?

markTHEblake
27th November 2013, 08:46 PM
Obviously someone has hit my ball by mistake but since we did not see it my scorer deemed it lost ball. Is this correct even though we all saw where my ball ended up? You have not told us why it was obvious that someone else hit it?The only way you can declare that they did would be if there is evidence. For example, you saw the ball come to rest, and then you saw another golfer hit a ball from very close to that spot. If you saw neither then the ball is lost. Each case has to be decided based on the facts though.

weekend hacker
27th November 2013, 08:46 PM
There was a footy day ambrose on and we think they just picked it up. Your right it sucks.

Captain Nemo
27th November 2013, 08:47 PM
Wtf is a new Australian?

Not an "old" one?

sms316
27th November 2013, 09:11 PM
Wtf is a new Australian? Apparently a dumb **** at Kwinana on the 1st while a Nullabor Cup match is taking place on the 18th.

WBennett
27th November 2013, 09:35 PM
Yoss

Generally older Chinese players who are happy to swap a Pro V for their Hot Dot.

mrbluu
28th November 2013, 09:39 AM
Yoss

Generally older Chinese players who are happy to swap a Pro V for their Hot Dot.

Yes that's all they do....I've never seen anyone but old chinese players hit the wrong ball!!!

Bruce Dickinson
28th November 2013, 10:12 AM
does the exception in rule 27 (Ball Lost or Out of Bounds) cover this??

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball, that has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1) or is in a water hazard (Rule 26-1), the player may proceed under the applicable Rule.

Yossarian
28th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Yoss

I see. Are you going to petition your local member for the rules of golf to be introduced as part of citizenship?

just
28th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Don't be silly. It would be cheaper to issue the "new Australians" with a few boxes of Pro V's when they take the oath. Then it would give the rest of us something to moan about, like how these migrants get all the best balls, leaving us real Aussies with Srixons and other inferior product.

MegaWatty
28th November 2013, 11:21 AM
I hate this thread.

WBennett
28th November 2013, 11:22 AM
Don't be silly. It would be cheaper to issue the "new Australians" with a few boxes of Pro V's when they take the oath. Then it would give the rest of us something to moan about, like how these migrants get all the best balls, leaving us real Aussies with Srixons and other inferior product.

Got it in one Just! And welcome back.

I've only ever hit the wrong ball once - we had the same markings, and the balls were two metres apart.

It was embarrassing running up to the green 75 metres away and returning the other blokes ball....

goughy
28th November 2013, 11:26 AM
The penalty sux. Had it happen years ago, cept mine was in the trees. We just assumed we couldn't find it, till 3 or 4 holes later we found it in the middle of another fairway some distance away. They obviously discovered their mistake, but I always wondered if they penalised themselves.

Yossarian
28th November 2013, 11:26 AM
I hate this thread.

ROFL.

Dotty
28th November 2013, 12:12 PM
Mystery solved.

These gentlemen take holidays in WA, hit other people's premium Nike balls out of the rough and leave their Noodles.

Johnny Canuck
28th November 2013, 12:58 PM
I hate this thread.

Funny.

markTHEblake
28th November 2013, 03:34 PM
does the exception in rule 27 (Ball Lost or Out of Bounds) cover this??.On the facts disclosed so far absolutely not. The only fact so far is that the ball was struck down middle of the fairway, and never seen again. One cannot say someone must have hit it or taken it simply because it is not where it was expected to be.

3oneday
28th November 2013, 03:39 PM
Depends on your definition of virtually certain, a saturday afternoon fourball where there are minimal folks on the course could argue that "we are virtually certain". Inserting the word virtually gives it the ambiguity to be taken advantage of, new australian or not.

3Puttpete
28th November 2013, 03:46 PM
On the facts disclosed so far absolutely not. The only fact so far is that the ball was struck down middle of the fairway, and never seen again. One cannot say someone must have hit it or taken it simply because it is not where it was expected to be.

He said they saw it land, not just fly off the club face.

Bruce Dickinson
28th November 2013, 03:47 PM
On the facts disclosed so far absolutely not. The only fact so far is that the ball was struck down middle of the fairway, and never seen again. One cannot say someone must have hit it or taken it simply because it is not where it was expected to be.
"I teed off and hit it straight up the middle and my group saw it land"

PeteyD
28th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure the examples in the rule book indicate that you need to see the act.

ruud
28th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Prob a crow took it!

Jerry Springer
28th November 2013, 05:16 PM
Not the act itself, the rule says,
"If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball, that has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1)"

i.e if you watch the ball go up the middle of the fairway and it disappears after coming to rest, say whilst you are looking for a fellow players ball, you can replace it without penalty.

I had a much easier case of brainless idiot hitting my ball yesterday.

I watched as a human Mung Bean hit my Titleist 3, complete with a giant orange smiley drawn next to the numbers, from the front of a green. His nice new Titleist 3 (unmarked) lay 5 meters away in a bunker. I placed a new ball as near as possible to where it lay and played on without penalty.

He got rather pissed off when I told him he needed to add two shots to his 11th hole.

Monsta
28th November 2013, 05:43 PM
"Virtually certain"

What oxyMORON wrote this rule???????

markTHEblake
28th November 2013, 06:18 PM
He said they saw it land, not just fly off the club face.

"I teed off and hit it straight up the middle and my group saw it land"

That does not change a thing according to what he said, it still completely fails the KVC test. You cant claim something must have taken it if the only evidence is that the ball is missing.

Pretty sure the examples in the rule book indicate that you need to see the act.\
Virtually certain would suggest you dont have to but there has to be a very convincing reason.

Depends on your definition of virtually certain, a saturday afternoon fourball where there are minimal folks on the course could argue that "we are virtually certain". Inserting the word virtually gives it the ambiguity to be taken advantage of, new australian or not.

That is true, they could make up anything they like at the time between themselves, such as Elvis took it. However we are talking about the correct application of the rule. Any qualified referee would be sending the player back to the tee in this instance.

Of course the guy might have more information that he has not disclosed. The rules talk about interpeting the known facts of the situation. We can only go on what he has told us. :-)

Bruce Dickinson
28th November 2013, 06:42 PM
so all in the group saw the ball land in the fairway but that fails the "If it is known or virtually certain" test - it was known by the entire group that the ball was on the fairway after the tee shot was played

I'm genuinely curious as to how that fails? I've seen a couple of incidents at Joondalup where kids have nicked balls that are in the fairway but the group didn't see it because they were in a hollow at the time, Dune 8 is a hole where it happens occassionally.