PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a lob wedge?

darrenr
25th November 2013, 09:49 PM
Gday Guys, I have been playing just over a year now although I don't have an official handicap yet my last 10 games I have scored between 102- 106. I am happy with the progress in most of my game except my chipping which is letting my scores down. I have been told to get a lob wedge as I only use a P & S wedge for chipping. I have also been told that a LW is just a gimmick and to just stick with my P & S wedge. What's your thoughts and is a lob wedge a good investment for my bag. By the way my biggest problem chipping is that I nearly always shoot over and the ball gets to much run, my accuracy isn't to bad, well in my eyes anyway, lol. I have been playing a lot recently at the Vines and Sun City playing of the blues and I am really going well on my long game, but my short game needs a major overhaul.

WBennett
25th November 2013, 09:52 PM
The answer is no. You must buy about 6 lob wedges until you find one you like. I would happily sell you five of my rejects :)

3Puttpete
25th November 2013, 09:53 PM
Yes you should buy one. If it helps, keep it. If not, get rid of it.

WBennett
25th November 2013, 09:55 PM
Short games is all about practise. Learn to bump and run, flop and hit normal chips. Spend an hour practicing with 8 iron, pw, sw. A good short game can fix a lot of woes elsewhere on the course.

darrenr
25th November 2013, 09:55 PM
Yes you should buy one. If it helps, keep it. If not, get rid of it. I was thinking the same thing at the alter 10 years ago!

Lagerlover
25th November 2013, 10:03 PM
Yes...nothing funnier than hitting it thin 50 metres through the green.... NOTHING.

Dotty
25th November 2013, 10:08 PM
You need to know whether to buy the digger lob wedge (that digs into the turf, sending the ball gheyly halfway to the green) or a slider lob wedge (that skims off the turf, blading the ball into the hazard behind the green).

Seriously, lesson first, then decide the right style of swing (and wedge) for you and your course.

ddasey
25th November 2013, 10:12 PM
Yes...nothing funnier than hitting it 45 degrees to the green.... NOTHING.

:smt080

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2013, 10:13 PM
Adding to Dotty get a cheap 58* - noticably easier to use than the 60* and all one should need really. Practise plenty with it to progress your game and don't use it in comp until you can hit it a bit.

Lucasto23
25th November 2013, 10:16 PM
NO get a low bounce 56* and learn to open the face up

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2013, 10:18 PM
Yes...nothing funnier than hitting it thin 50 metres through the green.... NOTHING.

Hahaha. A mate off about 23 used to go for the high lofted club swung 100% when inside 100m or so, it was all about hitting it long. He was about 80m out one day on a downhill lie. I said ffs you can't reach it with that man. Well damned if he didn't blade it and hit the wood fence about 25 meters behind the green on the full with an enormous CRACK. I said well ya sure proved me wrong, that carried about 110m! It might have killed someone if it hit them in the head lmao

Lucasto23
25th November 2013, 10:18 PM
And your closing the face at impact, split hand drill is your friend. YouTube will show you

TheNuclearOne
25th November 2013, 10:19 PM

What about bunkers?

mrbluu
25th November 2013, 10:30 PM
It depends on the loft and bounce of your current sand wedge? If u are happy with them then dont change a thing. If there a shots u dont think u can play with them then get some new wedges. If you can't think of any shots that u would play differently then u dont need them.I couldn't use a 60 so I got a 58 and it really helped my game and I was able to build some confidence. A good 56 could do the trick as well, but u need to try them out to see what suits u.I too have wedges to sell u I'd u need something cheapish to try out.

Johnny Canuck
25th November 2013, 10:43 PM
At this point in time, I would say no to a lobby. There isn't much that you can't do with a 56* wedge that you can do with a 60*. Bunkers at both of those courses are not overly penal and don't require lobbys.

Do some googling, learn the basics of the different shots you can play and work on that 1st.

Shooting the scores you are shooting, you do not need, it have the game to be playing a 60.

Fwiw, I am a single marker and only use my 60 unless I feel it absolutely necessary. Our club champ, off +1, doesn't even carry one.

dc68
25th November 2013, 10:50 PM

SAFunnier.

Shortylook
25th November 2013, 10:53 PM
Do what ever makes you feel comfortable mate, but I'm just saying, I've asked about my set up here and the guys don't seem to give you a bum steer. I wish I asked about my 3wood 6 months ago. Don't play it anymore. I was shooting 110-120 most rounds and I had a cheap set. Played for 6 months or so and got new stuff. I wanted the best of the best so I went and got it. I just changed my driver over with good results because I came and asked here. JC and SMS are low caps and will point you in the right direction. But I've had help from lots of guys,
JC
SMS
Simmsy
Larger
MrBluu
GK
Nk
The list goes on mate. All pretty awesome blokes.

madboarder
25th November 2013, 11:04 PM
Buy not just one and as mentioned carry 3 wedges and learn to use them. Open the face on the lob by turning the face 45o to target and swing hard at the ball.. You will enjoy the results...

markTHEblake
26th November 2013, 12:56 AM
I am happy with the progress in most of my game except my chipping which is letting my scores down.

You don't use a Lob Wedge for chipping!

I have been told to get a lob wedge as I only use a P & S wedge for chipping. Welcome to Golf, where everyone is an expert.... [rolls eyes]

but my short game needs a major overhaul.
I have only been playing off 5 for 30 years, and whilst I dont know much, what I do know is that a lob wedge is not the answer.
p.s. I only only use a P & S wedge for chipping (mostly)

timah!
26th November 2013, 01:28 AM
This ^^
#ifyoudothisyoullhavebinhdoingitright

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 01:58 AM
Forget about getting a lob wedge, you don't have the game for it yet and it will cost you more wasted shots a round than it will help.
Forget about chipping with your sand iron too, you don't have the game for that yet either.
Learn and practice chipping with your 8 iron and wedge first. Spend money on a short game lesson learning to chip with the PW and 8iron. Once you've got some sort of consistent feel and control of flight and distance then think about introducing some other clubs with more loft.

matty
26th November 2013, 07:09 AM
I'd forget the lobby. I'm mid single handicap and will probably take it out of the bag again. Had 6 over in the last comp I played and EVERY time I used the lob, except in the sand, it cost me a shot. So, cost me three shots in the round. Either I hit it fat or tried the miracle shot.

I don't practice the short game enough but you really have to know your shit to gain shots with it over a round.

As others have said you should be able to everything with a 56*. And at your handicap learn the 8 iron bump and run. I recall that was the reason I drop from 12 or 13 in to single figures.

Yes, it's a **** of a game.

Jerry Springer
26th November 2013, 07:13 AM
Like most parts of the game, wedges are a very personal thing, what suits me won't suit you etc.

One important factor to note is that the spin generated on a pitch shot is a combination of ball type, club face & club head speed. Simply changing a SW to LW may not help you much if you are using a low spin ball (which at this stage you probably should be).

My advice would be to buy Pelzs short game bible instead, there is a lot of great info in there, including tailoring your set of wedges to the conditions you play, something many golfers ignore. Once you have read that you will be in a better position to determine your choice of wedges.

Hope that helps

Dotty
26th November 2013, 07:15 AM
I chip with a gap wedge. That's another club you should look at. Welcome to OzGolf. :)

Practice with your pitch shots with your Pitching Wedge. Aim to just land it on the green (1m from the edge) and let it run to the hole. And shorten your backswing, by only taking your hands as far back as your right knee (or a little beyond), similar to a long putt.

Repeat with SW, 9i and 8i to compare the amount of roll, still aiming to land it 1m from the edge of the green.

goughy
26th November 2013, 07:22 AM
Shooting in the low 100's, a lobbie won't help you score better. Consistency and technique will. I reckon even one lesson on shortgame technique could do you wonders. Your issues could be a simple as an incorrect setup, or the clubhead getting in front of your hands and thinning the ball. A lobbie ain't gonna help that. In saying that, if you want one just get one. Have some fun.
I've ditched mine, and use a 56* that's got a back and heel grind on it. It opens up easy for high soft lob shots (like Lucas was saying).

matty
26th November 2013, 07:24 AM
Good advice dotty.

When new to the game I used to pace of my chip shots. If I had 24 paces to the hole I'd land the 8 iron at 8 paces from the ball and let it roll out.

8 iron - fly 1/3, roll 2/3
6 iron - fly 1/4, roll 3/4
SW - fly 2/3, roll 1/3 (spin dependant)

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 07:25 AM
Shooting in the low 100's, a lobbie won't help you score better. Consistency and technique will. I reckon even one lesson on shortgame technique could do you wonders. Your issues could be a simple as an incorrect setup, or the clubhead getting in front of your hands and thinning the ball. A lobbie ain't gonna help that. In saying that, if you want one just get one. Have some fun.I've ditched mine, and use a 56* that's got a back and heel grind on it. It opens up easy for high soft lob shots (like Lucas was saying).Good job goughy, talking abiut grinds should stuff him completely!!!

matty
26th November 2013, 07:26 AM
Yeah, what's a grind!

3Puttpete
26th November 2013, 07:34 AM
My advice would be to buy Pelzs short game bible

I'm almost certain Pelz advocates choppers carrying a lob wedge

goughy
26th November 2013, 07:36 AM
Good job goughy, talking abiut grinds should stuff him completely!!!

This is ozgolf, you didn't seriously think this was gonna be simple!
But, I still say my advice is sound. He has the clubs he 'needs' already. Just needs to learn to use them right. But there isn't a shot in the book he can't hit with what he's got.

goughy
26th November 2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah, what's a grind!

Spending 18holes watching me play!

Captain Nemo
26th November 2013, 07:54 AM
What you really need is a Ping Gorge Tour 60* ws KBS Tour stiff shaft.
Blade a few thru the green, then sell it to me, fixed.

sms316
26th November 2013, 08:13 AM
I would get a lobby but only use it for full shots. Chipping at your level is all about minimising potential blowouts so get the ball on the ground as soon as possible and run it out.

Whoever said that a 30 marker should just open the face on a 56 has their hand on it. That will never end well.

Captain Nemo
26th November 2013, 08:19 AM
I would get a lobby but only use it for full shots. Chipping at your level is all about minimising potential blowouts so get the ball on the ground as soon as possible and run it out.

Whoever said that a 30 marker should just open the face on a 56 has their hand on it. That will never end well.

Sound advice there....
You get lucky last night?
:)

goughy
26th November 2013, 08:21 AM
OMG, can I possibly agree with sms! First since of the apocalypse.

Marto65
26th November 2013, 09:02 AM
I'd leave it until a bit later to get a lob wedge. They'll cost you as many shots as you'll save. Practice practice practice.

Eca
26th November 2013, 09:57 AM
Yes & practice. I avoid lofted clubs with chips as much as possible in game but certain situation needs it.

hocko
26th November 2013, 10:07 AM
Putt as often as you can

Yossarian
26th November 2013, 10:10 AM
Putt as often as you can

Except when you are on the greens?

hocko
26th November 2013, 10:11 AM
Except when you are on the greens?

Including when you are on the greens.
My old adage is that my worst putt is normally better than my best chip.

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2013, 10:21 AM
Including when you are on the greens.
My old adage is that my worst putt is normally better than my best chip.

You must be a really bad chipper.

Lagerlover
26th November 2013, 10:28 AM
Putt as often as you can I do.....and unfortunately, I do.

hocko
26th November 2013, 11:04 AM
You must be a really bad chipper.

This may well be true but I am a better putter than you.........now.

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2013, 11:08 AM
This may well be true but I am a better putter than you.........now.

Big. BIG call.

I saw the 5 bird round on the weekend. Well done.

I also remember there was a recent round with 4 or 5, 3 jacks. I think I have one three stab in the last 5 rounds.

All or nothing approach now?

hocko
26th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Big. BIG call.

I saw the 5 bird round on the weekend. Well done.

I also remember there was a recent round with 4 or 5, 3 jacks. I think I have one three stab in the last 5 rounds.

All or nothing approach now?

Change of grip, putter and greens.
Averaging 32 putts per round these days.

backintheswing
26th November 2013, 11:11 AM

Your putting grip or putter grip. Tell us more.

idgolfguy
26th November 2013, 11:14 AM
Lots of advice... my 2 cents worth...
Buy a 60° or 62 °because you want to - we've all been there.

Ensure your 56°/58° has plenty of of bounce for sand shots.

Go practice with the Lob and track your success and failure during rounds. Consensus would be that you'd fail. Use the stats to back your choice.

Advice is usually taken lightly - experience is the best way to learn.

hocko
26th November 2013, 11:14 AM
Both BITS.
Using a super stroke and have reversed my grip

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2013, 11:15 AM
I think the greens is the most important change in the equation.

I would still have you if you are averaging 32, although I believe total putts is a tough measure of putting as missing a green by two feet and chipping to a foot can drastically skew numbers.

aym
26th November 2013, 11:15 AM
Always had a lobby from 100+ to now 87ish I've always used on, I actually lost my lobby recently and struggled big time, as someone who has no distance control 60 degree means I can use my normal swing most of the time.

hocko
26th November 2013, 11:20 AM

I would still have you if you are averaging 32, although I believe total putts is a tough measure of putting as missing a green by two feet and chipping to a foot can drastically skew numbers.
Agreed, it's all relative to how many greens you hit.

Yossarian
26th November 2013, 11:56 AM
My putting has improved a lot over the last month as well.

Shadesy
26th November 2013, 11:58 AM
I use my 60/8 in Bunkers only.

darrenr
26th November 2013, 12:17 PM
I was actually considering getting another lesson so I might take the advice and get it for a short game lesson. As for a lob wedge I'm thinking of getting a cheapy off one of the local 2nd hand websites, there's a few around $50. I'll see if it works for me if not well its no big deal. I brought a Cleveland Halo Hybrid 2nd hand for $30 and its one of the clubs that work well for me. Who knows maybe a 2nd hand LW will be the same!, thanks for the advice although I'm still confused on Jacks and Grinds!

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2013, 01:07 PM
Darren, just make sure you don't get a super low bounce lob wedge. Aim for something around 7-8 degrees at a minimum.

Lagerlover
26th November 2013, 01:39 PM
Nice move with the halo darren... I had one before my self imposed ban on all things cleveland, you may have caught the piece on ACA.

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 01:41 PM
Nice move with the halo darren... I had one before my self imposed ban on all things cleveland, you may have caught the piece on ACA.

Please explain or provide a link...

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 01:48 PM

+1 to that brotha.
When my GIR is well up from my average so is my putts.

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 01:51 PM

Are Cleveland hosels easier to hit?

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2013, 02:03 PM
Are Cleveland hosels easier to hit?

That didn't take long.

mike
26th November 2013, 02:31 PM
My most lofted club is a 50* GW. Anything loftier than that is useless to me.

madboarder
26th November 2013, 02:56 PM
For the 80+ hits a round golfer 80% of your total hits that are classified as short game. And who said that learning to play the short game is not important. !!!!

Jerry Springer
26th November 2013, 03:20 PM
My most lofted club is a 50* GW. Anything loftier than that is useless to me. Wow, i have a 54 wide sole for bunkers and a 60 without which i would be 15 handicapper!

matty
26th November 2013, 03:44 PM
For the 80+ hits a round golfer 80% of your total hits that are classified as short game. And who said that learning to play the short game is not important. !!!!

No one.

PerryGroves
26th November 2013, 03:50 PM

Agreed SMS, however I do have a couple of mates (25+ handicaps with 60s) who are prone to saying, its 73m, I don't have a club that goes that far.

I dont want to go all Seve Ballesteros but I think less (clubs) is better when starting, learn how to hit different shots

AndyP
26th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Nice number pluck of 80%.

The average par for a hole is 4, therefore it will generally take 2 shots to get in a position to use your short game. That's 36 shots, so even if you score 100 overall, it is still only going to be 64% short game.

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 04:01 PM

The average par for a hole is 4, therefore it will generally take 2 shots to get in a position to use your short game. That's 36 shots, so even if you score 100 overall, it is still only going to be 64% short game.

I think he has been watching you play, aren't all your shots short ;-)

Grunt
26th November 2013, 04:03 PM
Just remember to putt whenever you can and when you can't you chip with the lowest loft you can. I even putt with the hybrid and fairway woods.
My game on Sunday was built on the fact I was chipping close and sinking the putts. The hole I wiped was because I bladed the lob wedge trying to get it over a puddle of standing water I could not putt through.

darrenr
26th November 2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah I see people putting from off the green and its not always pretty..... but what is too far? my chipping from 20 - 30yrds out is crap maybe I should putt:lol:

idgolfguy
26th November 2013, 04:23 PM
Putt with your 8 iron. Course condition dictates the type of chip or pitch.

3Puttpete
26th November 2013, 04:36 PM
I find it helps if I focus on chipping to where I want the ball to land, not where I want it to stop. You won't always get the bounce or roll you want but it's a good starting point.

Daves
26th November 2013, 04:47 PM
A putter has a couple of degrees (2 to 4* normally) of loft on it. This is just enough it get it up out of the slight depression it is sitting in (due to its weight) and rolling towards target. Have a look at some slow motion video to see exactly what happens at impact. This is normally enough loft to be able to putt off of closely mow areas around the green, But a few millimetres longer than the green is about the limit of it. Anything more than this and you need more loft to get the ball up and over the thicker grass and rolling. If you still want to use a putting type stroke, this is where a Fairway Wood or Hybrid is an option. Otherwise chip it with your 8i/9i.

madboarder
26th November 2013, 05:26 PM

The average par for a hole is 4, therefore it will generally take 2 shots to get in a position to use your short game. That's 36 shots, so even if you score 100 overall, it is still only going to be 64% short game. I was not talking mentioning average as its over 100 swipes per round based on NGF statistics of club golfers. Sorry I rounded the numbers out of the data provided. Looks like its a area of interst to you with the numbers you posted?

AndyP
26th November 2013, 05:37 PM
80% isn't a rounded number based on statistics, it's made up. It doesn't work out whichever way you look at it.

Ashes
26th November 2013, 05:58 PM
80% isn't a rounded number based on statistics, it's made up. It doesn't work out whichever way you look at it.

To be fair, 80% is probably about right for Happy Gilmore.

madboarder
26th November 2013, 06:04 PM
If you don’t believe me, go to www.europeantour.com and look for the heading “Stats”.

Of these 71 shots, a player will use their driver on average 11 to 13 times in a round (given a course that has four par 3’s)
Of these 71 shots, the average Tour player will have on average 30 putts. (That is 2 ˝ times more than the amount of times they use a driver!!!)
Of these 71 shots, the Tour Player will on average hit 12 greens in regulation out of 18. This means they will miss 6 greens in a round.

NOW
Combine the 6 greens missed in a round (meaning they will be pitching/chipping/ or playing out of a bunker 6 times) with the 30 putts a player has in a round and you will see that the Professional Tour player requires their short game 50% of the time. Now these are stats for the best players in the world!!!
The average golfer out there of any handicap requires the use of their short game considerably more that 50%.

madboarder
26th November 2013, 06:08 PM
I cant calulate.. Sorry it just seem like its much more.

Anyway Darren buy a lob wedge and enjoy learing how to use it.

Dotty
26th November 2013, 06:08 PM
To be fair, 80% is probably about right for Happy Gilmore.
Or including Ashes' jug shots off the tee. ;)

virge666
26th November 2013, 07:19 PM
I cant calulate.. Sorry it just seem like its much more.

Anyway Darren buy a lob wedge and enjoy learing how to use it.

^^^

This.

GuyIncognito
26th November 2013, 07:43 PM
Whilst there are things I'd probly work on first if I was shooting circa 100, I don't see why getting a lob wedge can be a bad thing.

The game is supposed to be fun, and a lob wedge one club that can provide a lot of that...

Lagerlover
26th November 2013, 08:11 PM
Very true Guy, in fact every golf shot brings joy to someone in some way.

matty
26th November 2013, 08:21 PM
True. I hit a chunked wedge short of the green on Sunday. Brought mrbluu no end of enjoyment. Bastard.:lol:

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 08:23 PM
True. I hit a chunked wedge short of the green on Sunday. Brought mrbluu no end of enjoyment. Bastard.:lol: Dont worry mate, a driver fitting should fix that ;-)

Dotty
26th November 2013, 08:35 PM
True. I hit a chunked wedge short of the green on Sunday. Brought mrbluu no end of enjoyment. Bastard.:lol:
Wrong strategy off the tee, leaving a bunker between the ball and the hole.

And no, I didn't hit an 8 iron into 18. :)

matty
26th November 2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah, dotty, it happened on another too. Shoot me.

liptout
27th November 2013, 08:06 AM
well at least you didnt take bogey after leaving your drive a metre from the front of the green!! :mad:

maybe i should have tried to use my LOB WEDGE is that situation!! ;)

wizard_of_oz
27th November 2013, 11:18 AM
Don't really get why people are making it seem like the lob wedge is such a difficult club to use. It's about as difficult as the other 13 clubs in the bag. Just practice and you can be decent with it.

Peppas
27th November 2013, 11:41 AM
When the question has "Should I buy..." then the automatic answer should be "yes". Well, at least on here :)

davepuppies
27th November 2013, 02:25 PM
well at least you didnt take bogey after leaving your drive a metre from the front of the green!! :mad:

maybe i should have tried to use my LOB WEDGE is that situation!! ;)

I think that had more to do with your putt than wedge lippy!

mrbluu
27th November 2013, 02:30 PM

So he should've putted with his lobby??

liptout
27th November 2013, 04:15 PM

yea, probably wasnt my best green reading effort of the day that!! ;)

kinda pitiful really......

liptout
27th November 2013, 04:18 PM
So he should've putted with his lobby??

after a snapped putter shaft ive been known to putt with my lobby!!

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2013, 07:39 PM

Back to this, is the 32 average over 12 or 14 holes? ;).

Do you ever play 18 anymore?

markTHEblake
27th November 2013, 09:26 PM
Don't really get why people are making it seem like the lob wedge is such a difficult club to use. It's about as difficult as the other 13 clubs in the bag. Just practice and you can be decent with it.Therein lies the point, With more loft it has less sidespin and shorter shaft is easier to hit the middle, so it should be the 2nd easiest club in the bag to use ( after the putter)?

But it is not.