PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed Handicap - Returning to golf

mint
25th November 2013, 10:46 AM
So a mate of mine that has had a two year absence from golf (due to some injury and other circumstances) is returning to golf
and wants to get his handicap again..

His last handicap lapsed 2 years ago and was off around 10 at the time. Having gone through some physical changes and problems
he obviously wont be the golfer that he was before however he has been informed that even tho his handicap lapsed 2 years
ago he can only gain a new handicap no more that 7 shots above his last...

Is this correct or was the person informing him just full of crap?

Captain Nemo
25th November 2013, 10:48 AM
Dunno, is he joining the same club???

mrbluu
25th November 2013, 10:52 AM
So a mate of mine that has had a two year absence from golf (due to some injury and other circumstances) is returning to golf
and wants to get his handicap again..

His last handicap lapsed 2 years ago and was off around 10 at the time. Having gone through some physical changes and problems
he obviously wont be the golfer that he was before however he has been informed that even tho his handicap lapsed 2 years
ago he can only gain a new handicap no more that 7 shots above his last...

Is this correct or was the person informing him just full of crap?

I'm not sure if this is the case, but his club handicapper should be able to adjust his handicap once he is back to reflect how he is playing.

Good luck to your mate and hope he goes well!!

mint
25th November 2013, 10:54 AM
No different state all together mate. I just don't think after two years away there should be a rule about it.. he can only be judged on how he is
playing at the time I would of thought

LeftyHoges
25th November 2013, 10:57 AM
No different state all together mate. I just don't think after two years away there should be a rule about it.. he can only be judged on how he is
playing at the time I would of thought

Pretty sure they had to bring this rule (or something similar) in to stop the amount of burglaries that was happening by blokes coming back off wildly inflated handicaps from "time off".

mint
25th November 2013, 10:59 AM
but you would think that it would be on a case by case scenario wouldn't it? I mean how can they prove that a guy isn't legitimately injured?

Captain Nemo
25th November 2013, 11:01 AM
I only asked as i had a major surgery few years back, took 8 or so months off and they wouldnt even adjust my h/cap at all (****s)!!!!!

LeftyHoges
25th November 2013, 11:02 AM
but you would think that it would be on a case by case scenario wouldn't it? I mean how can they prove that a guy isn't legitimately injured?

Too much lenience can be shown in doing it case-by-case, I think, was their reasoning. "Friends" of the handicapper, that sort of thing.

For the record, I do totally see your point.

Steve57
25th November 2013, 11:04 AM
Handicaps do not lapse. He must advise his new club of his old Golflink number and he will play off what he was on when he finished. If he cannot play to that he has to apply to his club's committee for special consideration and it is their decision whether to adjust his handicap or not.

mint
25th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Handicaps do not lapse. He must advise his new club of his old Golflink number and he will play off what he was on when he finished. If he cannot play to that he has to apply to his club's committee for special consideration and it is their decision whether to adjust his handicap or not.

Thanks Steve - That sounds like an official response given by a handicapper haha

Steve57
25th November 2013, 11:07 AM
Correct!

goughy
25th November 2013, 11:31 AM
I'm your example case. I just rejoined my club after not being a member for about 5 years. I'm straight back onto my old hc, and if you look at my golflink you will see some of my flagged rounds are from 2007. He'll be back off 10.

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 02:11 AM

Not entirely correct Steve57.
After a 6 year holiday from the game my old Golflink handicap/record no longer existed. I contacted Golflink at the time I was rejoining another club and they stated I didn't exist on the system and would have to put cards in to get a handicap again. Maybe I just got lucky or there is some time of inactivity that they do a clean out.

Steve57
26th November 2013, 06:55 AM
After a 6 year holiday from the game my old Golflink handicap/record no longer existed. I contacted Golflink at the time I was rejoining another club and they stated I didn't exist on the system and would have to put cards in to get a handicap again. Maybe I just got lucky or there is some time of inactivity that they do a clean out.Your case is also correct but only because they couldnt locate you on the Golflink system. If you are on the system then your handicap is always current. Golflink no longer do clean outs like they did before Golf Australia changed the rules a couple of years ago. You had obviously been out of the system too long so yes you got lucky!

goughy
26th November 2013, 07:10 AM
After a 6 year holiday from the game my old Golflink handicap/record no longer existed. I contacted Golflink at the time I was rejoining another club and they stated I didn't exist on the system and would have to put cards in to get a handicap again. Maybe I just got lucky or there is some time of inactivity that they do a clean out.

How long ago was it that you 'rejoined' the game? Maybe your 6 year period started long enough ago that that happened. Mine was 5 years, but I only rejoined a couple of months ago.

markTHEblake
26th November 2013, 08:12 AM
Its a very sad story when a golfer does not play for a couple of years and is not the golfer he used to be. Kind of like Lagerlover and the shank, stiff shit! He can apply for his handicap to be reassesssed if circumstances warrant, like missing a leg. But the starting point always is the old handicap, they do not lapse anymore. Not playing for a period of time is not a reason for a sympathy adjustment.

goughy
26th November 2013, 08:22 AM
I prefer my vanity hc atm anyway! Unfortunately the only time I've broken it since returning was at the champs. Feels like a waste.

mint
26th November 2013, 08:54 AM
Its a very sad story when a golfer does not play for a couple of years and is not the golfer he used to be. Kind of like Lagerlover and the shank, stiff shit! He can apply for his handicap to be reassesssed if circumstances warrant, like missing a leg. But the starting point always is the old handicap, they do not lapse anymore. Not playing for a period of time is not a reason for a sympathy adjustment.

I do agree with what your saying however in this case we are talking about a guy that was in a horrific car accident and has taken almost 2 years to regain enough strength in his body to complete a round.. he definitely will not be the golfer he was.

markTHEblake
26th November 2013, 09:31 AM
Then there is a rule to cover this scenario. You can look it up yourself. Your mate needs to talk to his handicapper.

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 05:17 PM
How long ago was it that you 'rejoined' the game? Maybe your 6 year period started long enough ago that that happened. Mine was 5 years, but I only rejoined a couple of months ago.

Joined up again September last year.