PDA

View Full Version : Weighting a putter right?

goughy
19th November 2013, 11:20 PM
So I have an SC pro platinum mid sur that I'm playing at 35". Is a 375g head. It just feel whack. I've used it at 33" in the past and I'm sure that felt good. And when it was belly length, if I PR'ed with it normally, holding it at about 35" it felt good, granted I think the top of the belly shaft /grip was counter balancing it.

Pretty sure it was virge on the weekend who said it could use about 80g at the top of the shaft. Does something like that sound about right? Is a great feeling putter if I can get the balance right. Is there a way I can pay around and test this out?

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2013, 11:40 PM
375 is big badda heavy at 35" for the vast majority. Virge is right in that if you want to keep playing it at that length you need to counter weight.

mrbluu
19th November 2013, 11:42 PM
So I have an SC pro platinum mid sur that I'm playing at 35". Is a 375g head. It just feel whack. I've used it at 33" in the past and I'm sure that felt good. And when it was belly length, if I PR'ed with it normally, holding it at about 35" it felt good, granted I think the top of the belly shaft /grip was counter balancing it.

Pretty sure it was virge on the weekend who said it could use about 80g at the top of the shaft. Does something like that sound about right? Is a great feeling putter if I can get the balance right. Is there a way I can pay around and test this out?

I play my putters at 33" so I've had to get them shorten and inch or 2. My 2 favourite putters are a Cleveland Classic 4 and Yes Tracey II, both of these have and weights put down the shaft to make of for the club being cut down. It's like a butt plug, but pushed in deeper down the shaft (no homo)....a little like these ones.
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TL0001

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2013, 11:56 PM
hmmm

timah!
19th November 2013, 11:58 PM
At 35/375 you'd be about 35gm over a 'normal' Scotty weight.
(I say normal as it can depend in what you like. My custom Lajosi is 34/350 and feels mint).

So yeah, adding a head of weight at the butt, and even a 'longer' and heavier grip will improve the feel.

goughy
20th November 2013, 07:36 AM
But how do you work out how much weight?

mrbluu
20th November 2013, 07:37 AM
Until it feels right.

goughy
20th November 2013, 07:49 AM
Yeah, but do you go through the trouble of fully trying it set up properly, or do you strap a bag of flower to the top of the grip and if it's too much, go half a bag?

Dotty
20th November 2013, 08:03 AM
I find lead flashing from the hardware store is handy for experimenting. Easy to cut, bend and stick on with a bit to tape.

I had the same putter and it felt great at 33". Unfortunately, as I started bending less and extended it, it felt like a lead-tipped arrow.

goughy
20th November 2013, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I've found gripping down on it and it feels much better. It's amazing what a difference an extra 2" can make :o

timah!
20th November 2013, 09:50 AM
Grab a while lot of different weight sinkers and sticky tape them to the butt of the club.

goughy
20th November 2013, 10:56 AM
I hate fishing!

backintheswing
20th November 2013, 02:55 PM
I think I said it need some counter balance weights when we played on Saturday. Pm shane788 as he has got some big arse clevis pins and used those in one of his putters.

The head weight on your scotty felt out of wack to me. I also don't know why you pulled it out on about the 12th, after putting ok with your other putter and then I think you proceeded to 4 putt with it.

goughy
20th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it's totally out of whack. I three putted the next few holes with it, then went back to the NC mallet I'd been putting ok with, and proceeded to 4 putt with it. You did question why I changed when the other was going ok. I'm just not good at listening.