PDA

View Full Version : Steel Driver Shafts

senecio
4th July 2004, 05:31 PM
Am I the only dinosaur that still uses a steel shaft in the driver?

In the past six weeks that I have been back at my old club, I have not played with anyone that uses a steel shaft in their driver.

Surely there must be others?

Ryan

Jarro
4th July 2004, 05:41 PM
not me :wink:

i use steel in the 3 wood though 8)

AndyP
4th July 2004, 06:49 PM
I have a steel-shafted driver, but I probably don't count. Haven't changed a shaft yet.

McMw
5th July 2004, 01:15 AM
Tiger's changed - maybe you should too!!! :lol:

Nah....Adam Scott and Badds.Com still have steel in their driver...

BrisVegas
5th July 2004, 08:29 AM
Ryan,

You're not the ONLY one out there with steel in your driver, although it seems less and less people are opting for it these days. I have a scratch hcap friend who swears by it, simply because he likes the heavier feel and straighter shape it gives him. Length is not a problem, as he plays at Wynnum all the time.

Someone else may be able to correct me here, but I don't think any graphite shaft has managed to offer the same (LOW) torque characteristics of graphite yet. With higher club head speeds, low torque is the key.

I couldn't hit a steel shaft in driver or 3 wood. I got a stiff Rifle shaft in my 5 wood, but then I swing that more like an iron anyway.

Dion

damoocow
5th July 2004, 07:26 PM
I just changed my driver shaft from a penley 50 [ for sale people - $50] - to a DG R300 and feel much better with it , the extra weight just feels so much more comfortable to me - have only hit it at the range but will try and get out this week and give it a proper test - more power to steel !
damoocow

Ona
6th July 2004, 11:58 PM
Bris i think there are now graphite shafts that offer torque plenty low even for outrageous swingspeeds ie. long drive blokes

There are heavy graphite shafts, but are they as heavy as steel?

I rekon if you can keep your ss up using steel it cant hurt, the added mass can apply greater force on the ball.

goughy
7th July 2004, 05:39 AM
Onabreak's right, graphite shafts torque is getting closer and closer to steel all the time, especially in some high end shafts.

Some people like the higher torque in graphite, so they can feel the head whipping closed through impact. I gave my driver with a regular blue to a mate of jasters (2hc) and he didn't like the low torque aspect of it for this reason.

I remember gary calder at gci once telling me that when tiger and a few others started with steel shafts, all these people (juniors especially) would come to him asking for steel in there drivers. Against his advice they would have them done only to come back complaining of lost distance. Don't forget that unless you have a high enough swing speed, the extra weight of a steel shaft may lose you a bit of distance.

While there are some pro's using steel shafts, the vast majority would still have graphite. Didn't goosen have steel once; had his iron shafts flex towards the 8 on the rifle scale. And while tiger uses a steel shaft, I've heard it's tipped quite a lot to make it even stiffer. That's some swing speed and strength there.

BrisVegas
7th July 2004, 07:46 AM
Onabreak. You're probably right, although those kind of shafts are probably only suited to tour pros etc with outrageous swing speed etc. I think I'll stick to graphite. It gives me a bit of extra speed, and who wouldn't want that? :wink:

Iain
7th July 2004, 09:16 AM
I believe Tiger's steel shaft is/was tipped about 4inches.... :shock:

Ona
7th July 2004, 02:53 PM
maybe it was an A flex :D

Jarro
7th July 2004, 03:07 PM
Didn't goosen have steel once; had his iron shafts flex towards the 8 on the rifle scale. .

I read in the TM insider magazine that they e-mail me that Retief has Rifle 8.0's in his irons AND 3 wood :shock:

I think the iron shafts are no longer available and he bought the remaining 20 sets ......

.. but Rifle 8.0 :!: :!: Give me a break :o

nick
7th July 2004, 05:41 PM
Tiger has gone to Graphite now, and its a Graffaloy Blue prototype.

Nick

Jarro
7th July 2004, 05:53 PM
so the guys on BSG finally agree that it was a Grafalloy Blue Proto 'eh :roll:

nick
7th July 2004, 06:25 PM

Yeh, but it took them a while!

Nick

BrisVegas
8th July 2004, 08:51 AM

Welcome to Team Blue Tiger :D

markTHEblake
8th July 2004, 11:22 AM
Steel shafts are only for those golfers wishing to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

Like a mate of mine in the 80's awesome striker of the ball. Hit every shot with a ski jump ball flight, even with a 1 iron.

He made up a driver shaft with about 6 inches of dowel in the butt so that the first step in the steel shaft was only an inch above the hosel. I have seen crowbars with more flex in them than that shaft.

He is probably the only golfer i have met that could still afford to use a steel shaft in the driver.