PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct (sole) position for driver set up?

wizard_of_oz
17th November 2013, 06:58 PM
I'm referring more to the sole of the driver. For irons, it's quite obvious if the toe or heel is off the ground as the sole is flat. But the driver is more rounded on the sole, so how can you tell? Is the back of the driver sole meant to be sitting flush on the ground at set up as well? Is the butt end of the grip meant to be pointed at your belt buckle like your irons and if so, does that mean your lie angle should be adjusted? Does it even matter because some people hover their drivers so there's no way they can keep the lie angle of the sole etc constant?

madboarder
17th November 2013, 08:01 PM
Just make sure the club face is square to your target at address. All swings are a little different.

matty
17th November 2013, 08:06 PM
I would suggest the lie angle is irrelevant on a driver because the bottom of the club is an inch of the ground at impact (at a guess). A thousand other things to worry about in the swing.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2013, 08:19 PM
The lie angle is much much less relevant because drivers have so little loft. The more lofted club the more pronounced the drama of bad lie angles.

GuyIncognito
17th November 2013, 08:34 PM
grats on your next post TN1

Captain Nemo
17th November 2013, 08:37 PM
Find the "Wishon adjustable driver" blog...

markTHEblake
17th November 2013, 08:38 PM
For irons, it's quite obvious if the toe or heel is off the ground as the sole is flat. But the driver is more rounded on the sole, so how can you tell? Is the back of the driver sole meant to be sitting flush on the ground at set up as well?

It doesnt matter what the lie angle is at address, what matters is as impact. You simply cannot gauge impact lie angle from the address position, plus what The Nuclear One said.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2013, 08:44 PM
grats on your next post TN1

Cheers buddy, i didn't even realise!!!!!

Steve
17th November 2013, 09:02 PM
The correct position, would be on the bottom ;)

wizard_of_oz
18th November 2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys. I have always wondered because of the adjustable drivers which like Taylormade the adjustable sole plate changes the open/close/neutral on the R11 and the Cobra Amp Cell changes to 2 degrees more upright in the draw setting so I'm guessing that these adjustments are more marketing than anything else then.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2013, 12:42 AM
The more upright your driver goes the more draw tendancy. For some this may also bring in left side, others (big slicers etc) might be ok. Depends on the individual.

wizard_of_oz
18th November 2013, 01:24 PM
Fascinating article that I came across through the ISG forum on adjustability of drivers and the correct position of the sole to measure the lie angle.

(http://wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/adjustable-hosel-drivers.pdf)http://wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/adjustable-hosel-drivers.pdf

If you look at the pictures of the various drivers of Nike Covert, R1, 913 and Ping Anser where the intended lie angle of the driver is measured, the way that the soles are lying off the ground are all different! So if you've been used to soling your old driver a certain way, the new driver could have a completely different lie angle if you soled it the same way.

In a nutshell, all the adjustability gizmos on the new drivers are very different from their actual measurements vs the intended measurements for face angle, loft and lie. And in order to get to the intended measurements, all sorts of manual manipulation would be needed in holding the driver at address and impact.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2013, 01:26 PM
Very controversial article that one.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2013, 01:31 PM
When you've got a month or two spare read thru this for full points/counter points and Toms own thoughts etc etc

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/823507-a-technical-discussion-and-report-on-adjustable-hoseladjustable-sole-piece-drivers-in-the-modern-golf-equipment-industry/page__hl__%20adjustable