PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about the Impact Bag

kwantfm
19th January 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm sure that some of you training aid hos have had some experience with this device.  How do you use it?  Why does it help?  Did you like it?

Thanks,
T

BrisVegas
19th January 2006, 01:53 PM
I've used one once at a clinic. I think the idea was to teach you the feeling of lag. Not quite sure how/why it works, but the faster you can fire your hands through on the downswing, the louder the "WHACK" it makes when you smack it. Not something you'd want to use regularly at the driving range, for fear of upsetting everyone else.....

then again, plenty of people take Cobra drivers to the driving range... :wink: :roll:

Grunt
19th January 2006, 02:22 PM
I have made myself one but have not used it for a while. I used it to train my hands to work correctly in the downswing.

Jarro
19th January 2006, 02:24 PM
i wouldn't mind getting one.

They are supposed to simulate the feeling of impact aren't they :?: as well as helping to get the hands in the right position at impact as well.

Jono
19th January 2006, 02:55 PM
i wouldn't mind getting one.

They are supposed to simulate the feeling of impact aren't they  :?:  as well as helping to get the hands in the right position at impact as well.

I think that's the main idea. Many golfers (including myself) tend to flip the hands and fail to get it ahead of the ball at impact. To thump the impact bag with any authority, you have to get the hands ahead at impact. Also trains the feeling of square clubface at impact as well.

A cheap DIY version of the impact bag is the tyre. You can get one for free at a local service station.

andylo
19th January 2006, 02:55 PM
hit one, and don't understand what it does for me :p

Probably this is the key I am missing to get better on golf :p

AndyP
19th January 2006, 03:28 PM
Probably this is the key I am missing to get better on golf :p
One of the keys, anyway.

Is hitting this bag or the tyre doing damage to the clubs?

Jono
19th January 2006, 03:36 PM
Is hitting this bag or the tyre doing damage to the clubs?

Potentially, it can break/bend the shaft. Suggest using an old club.

I wouldn't suggest doing a full swing with it. Just take it back half way and then down to impact.

amanda
19th January 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the bag doesn't - but the tyre would.

I have used one in a lesson - but my teacher suggested getting a large sack and filling it with old towels. Does the same job. A proper impact bag is $99 :shock:

McMw
19th January 2006, 07:27 PM
the pro here has one - I think it makes an excellent foot rest after 18...

goughy
20th January 2006, 08:08 PM
I have a tyre in the backyard for this. Cost me like 5 bucks. I suggest you use an old club for this. It wrecks the shaft.