PDA

View Full Version : Drivers - looking for straight(ish) - not a wanted to buy thread :)

3oneday
11th November 2013, 03:46 PM
In doing some research over the weekend, I have narrowed my search to a few drivers and was wondering if anyone had any input for me, good or bad.

According to a website, the Callaway X Hot (non Pro) rated the most accurate, followed by the Stage 2 (non Tour). I have some Christmas shopping for the olds to do on 3balls, so was looking for feedback on:

X Hot (non pro)
Nike VR-S (non pro)
Cleve Classic 290

I have been using a 910 D3, last 2 rounds I've probably hit maybe 6 fairways total but managed to break 80 each time. I know I'm dumb enough to make doubles from the middle of the course but it surely has to be easier :). I also used a Stage 2 10.5 for a while and could end up back there as well I guess, but maybe in a 9.5 instead. As you can see, I'm still even undecided on loft, I don't feel I hit a 10.5 any more straight than an 8.5 or 9°.

SirTop
11th November 2013, 03:47 PM
I've got the Nike Covert Performance and its a lovely, forgiving and straight driver unless I really stuff it up

Lucasto23
11th November 2013, 03:51 PM
Old clevo Classic was a good performer for old old dudes in the nets from a dispersion stand point. But you swing harder I hope so would say no go

Dotty
11th November 2013, 04:11 PM
I'm hitting a XHot (non-pro) at the moment and it is mighty forgiving.

The big problem is that the head is 10g lighter than the RazrFit, so shafts weren't easily interchangeable. (Lead tape worked fine, and now testing the RIP'd NV that was too heavy at D5 in the RAZR Fit, but D1 in the XHot.)

Ping G20 was the all time straightest for me.

virge666
11th November 2013, 04:13 PM
Nike Covert and Stage 2 are my picks... I find the 910-913 models a pain in the arse when it comes to accuracy, but the distance with the Titleist stuff is quite alluring.

meh
11th November 2013, 04:30 PM
3, just got an x hot and it's very forgiving. Feels/sounds great when you middle it but off centre ones are not bad at all. Try it, if you can, with the shaft from the pro, apparently it's a real deal not made for

mrbluu
11th November 2013, 04:43 PM
The SLDR is quite promising at the moment. As it comes off with such little spin and you are using extra loft, it's not likely to move too far off line....

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 04:45 PM
I can't see how a particular drive is straighter than another......

Meet the ball with a square face, square path, it goes straight.

Don't, it goes sideways.....

I can understand forgiveness, on off centre hits.....

Am I off the mark here?

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 04:45 PM
No comment.

virge666
11th November 2013, 04:48 PM
I can't see how a particular drive is straighter than another......

All drivers are different weights, shapes, sizes and loft configs. We all have a particular swing pattern. You may think it changes a lot - but in all honesty, it doesn't.

These swing patterns suit particular types of driver configs. Once you find a particular config... then your are sort of done with the driver search...

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 04:54 PM
Correct.

So to see a magazine of the "straightest drivers" does not gel with my way of thinking.

Getting fitted to a particular head shape and weight that suits your swing and matching to shaft makes sense to me.

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 04:54 PM
No comment.

?????

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 05:05 PM
?????

Not aimed at you Dave, aimed at 3.
He's tried more drivers than I have prob putters this year, surely!

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 05:10 PM
Not aimed at you Dave, aimed at 3.
He's tried more drivers than I have prob putters this year, surely!

Got ya......

3oneday
11th November 2013, 05:32 PM
I would imagine accuracy relates to forgiveness and size of sweetspot. A club that has less of both might also mean a slightly less square face at impact could make more of a diff.

Thanks L, I have tried a couple this year. :) To be honest, I didn't expect too much help as the list doesn't include any players drivers, it'd be like asking for advice on reg flex driver shafts on golfwrx :lol:

Thanks for those who answered, I think I might try a cally, or use my 3 wood more :)

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 05:49 PM
On a serious note, everyone that's tried that x hot 3 wood thingo have raved about it?

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 05:50 PM
3 Deep I think?

markTHEblake
11th November 2013, 05:52 PM
3oneday, in that driver accuracy testing, were those heads all used with the same shaft? Obviously I am wondering whether the verdict is head only or the out of the box club.

antz30
11th November 2013, 05:57 PM
Bought an x-hot 3 wood (3 deep)(broke after 5 hits on the range)
Sent it back to callaway & broke the new one they sent me after 2 rounds.

Thin face caves in makes a horrid sound when it happens. But the shots I did get to hit with the club geez the ball flys of the face seriously long.

rqrox
11th November 2013, 06:16 PM
3, I saw stuart hit the 3deep like a champion the other week but I currently use the X hot (non pro) with Fubuki in it and it is straight ( comparatively) with very little spin and find it as long as anything else including the Titliest.
Are you looking at the covert or the older VR-S as I've heard the VR-S is sneaky long club with very little spin, very similar to the SLDR.

also I have 910 D2 in 10.5 degrees which is lower spinning if you want to have a whirl?

GuyIncognito
11th November 2013, 06:19 PM
3deep is the business.

live4golf
11th November 2013, 06:23 PM

Found your solution. http://xfactordirect.com/proshop/hammerx.html

(http://xfactordirect.com/proshop/hammerx.html)You're welcome

3oneday
11th November 2013, 06:47 PM
Wicked

3oneday
11th November 2013, 06:51 PM
Are you looking at the covert or the older VR-S as I've heard the VR-S is sneaky long club with very little spin, very similar to the SLDR.

also I have 910 D2 in 10.5 degrees which is lower spinning if you want to have a whirl?Still torn, will work on it the next few hours :) I was looking at the Covert VRS, only $149 + ship at 3balls for new. I had considered trying a D2 as well but everything I read is it is too spinny so not sure. Supposedly the 913 corrected that but I don't think I need to spend $300 + to find more fairways either.

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 06:58 PM
I honestly don't find much difference spin wise between my 913d2 and my old 910d2.

In saying that, back spin is your friend if looking for accuracy

oncewasagolfer
11th November 2013, 07:00 PM
I have a covert performance which is really forgiving but have mainly been hitting the g20 3 wood off the tee - love that club!

3oneday
11th November 2013, 07:05 PM
I honestly don't find much difference spin wise between my 913d2 and my old 910d2.

In saying that, back spin is your friend if looking for accuracyI think you are right, maybe any 460CC head with a larger sweetspot would do.

TheNuclearOne
11th November 2013, 07:18 PM
A little older but one model that seems to be very very highly noted for ease of accuracy by it's users is the K15.

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Pete, don't know if this sold or not, bit these are great value with a decent stocky (I have one)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221308166294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
He plays at Penriff with Jadho.

3oneday
11th November 2013, 07:31 PM
A little older but one model that seems to be very very highly noted for ease of accuracy by it's users is the K15.more likely to buy your 3deep, except i love my rbz with fubuki alpha.

3oneday
11th November 2013, 07:32 PM
Pete, don't know if this sold or not, bit these are great value with a decent stocky (I have one)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221308166294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
He plays at Penriff with Jadho.rickho mentioned he had one of these and liked. He and I rarely like the same things :)

Captain Nemo
11th November 2013, 07:50 PM
You can take mine for a run?

chappy1970
11th November 2013, 10:45 PM
Pete I played like crap everywhere but off the tee yesterday, the Rzr fit I have with the Attas shaft is the longest and most consistent club I have used in 30 years of playing this stupid, pox ridden game

mrbluu
11th November 2013, 11:27 PM
I got a 9.5* 910D2 you can take for a run if you want.

3oneday
12th November 2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys, I grabbed a cheap Cleve Classic 290 off 3 balls, might just save/sell titty drivers for a 3deep instead.

virge666
12th November 2013, 09:13 AM
I would imagine accuracy relates to forgiveness and size of sweetspot. A club that has less of both might also mean a slightly less square face at impact could make more of a diff.

not quite, but yes, sort of.

I will use me as an example. I hit it out of the middle every now and then, but my bad shot is impact low and towards the heel, i very rarely hit it in the toe and definitely never high and off the toe.

So i look for drivers that have a shallower face and lower COG. RBZ Taylor, some Pings and Nike Coverts are much better with my misses than Titty or Cally. Anything deep face and with the COG forward will be fantastic on days when I am striping it, but on the bad days, I wont hit the golf course. I don't have the handicap to chase the great drives, so i just do whatever keeps it in play.

Throw some impact tape on your driver and see where your misses are, then match the driver head to the misses.

liptout
12th November 2013, 09:58 AM
So i look for drivers that have a shallower face and lower COG. RBZ Taylor, some Pings and Nike Coverts are much better with my misses than Titty or Cally. Anything deep face and with the COG forward will be fantastic on days when I am striping it, but on the bad days, I wont hit the golf course. I don't have the handicap to chase the great drives, so i just do whatever keeps it in play.

ahhhh, that makes sense.

that would explain why i can hit my Covert and R9 well (most of the time) but cant for the life of me hit my Krank unless im 'in the zone' (which aint often)....

3oneday
12th November 2013, 10:06 AM
Sounds good, I think I use the middle/heel section more than often. Obviously the heel is going to make it tough to draw like I can every other stick :)

I had some success with the SL290, biggest driver face in golf apparently, be interesting to see what happens. I find it hard to aim at water and draw it back in with driver, whereas I can do this quite comfortably with an iron.

Mububban
12th November 2013, 02:32 PM
Still in love with my X Hot regular driver. I hit it all over the face (sometimes even the centre!) and it communicates where you've hit it, high, low, toe, heel, but it is so forgiving it's amazing. Of course I can still slice it to the next fairway over, but on straight path but heel or toe hits, it's amazingly forgiving. You hardly lose any distance and you're not in the trees either.

Shortylook
12th November 2013, 03:39 PM
Still in love with my X Hot regular driver. I hit it all over the face (sometimes even the centre!) and it communicates where you've hit it, high, low, toe, heel, but it is so forgiving it's amazing. Of course I can still slice it to the next fairway over, but on straight path but heel or toe hits, it's amazingly forgiving. You hardly lose any distance and you're not in the trees either.
That could be a club for me. Hope I get some vouchers tomoz, if I do I think I might buy one to try

3oneday
12th November 2013, 03:54 PM
Still in love with my X Hot regular driver. I hit it all over the face (sometimes even the centre!) and it communicates where you've hit it, high, low, toe, heel, but it is so forgiving it's amazing. Of course I can still slice it to the next fairway over, but on straight path but heel or toe hits, it's amazingly forgiving. You hardly lose any distance and you're not in the trees either.I have tried one of these, at an indoor fitting session. I did rate it quite highly, always liked Cally drivers.

davidw88
12th November 2013, 06:06 PM
Straightest driver i have used is a G25, I am currently using a sldr it isnt to bad. I had a 913 d3 and was that hard to keep on the fairway.

Mububban
12th November 2013, 06:21 PM
That could be a club for me. Hope I get some vouchers tomoz, if I do I think I might buy one to try

There's no upcharge for choosing the blue Pro head shaft over the red Regular head shafts. Red comes in reg and stiff, blues come in different numbers, have a crack with all of them. Like I said, no cost difference whichever shaft you choose so might as well.

Shortylook
12th November 2013, 06:44 PM
There's no upcharge for choosing the blue Pro head shaft over the red Regular head shafts. Red comes in reg and stiff, blues come in different numbers, have a crack with all of them. Like I said, no cost difference whichever shaft you choose so might as well.

Hope someone in mandurah has one, can't be shagged traveling too far tomoz

meh
12th November 2013, 06:56 PM
It sure does.

3oneday
14th November 2013, 07:47 AM
3, just got an x hot and it's very forgiving. Feels/sounds great when you middle it but off centre ones are not bad at all. Try it, if you can, with the shaft from the pro, apparently it's a real deal not made forHad the great benefit of trying this combo last night for 9 holes.

Even set open it went left, whereas the 910 would go straight up the middle. Felt like a good driver, just too heavily draw biased for mine.