PDA

View Full Version : Playing up next fairway

oldracer
9th November 2013, 07:27 PM
Hit a major slice thru the trees lying tight on the next fairway, par 5, as there was no one coming down that hole I decided to play the shot up the other fairway. Long story short, made position, short iron over trees, 2 putts for par. As I'm still a social golfer, no one around, no probs. what happens in comp when all fairways occupied, is it ok to play up opposite fairway, what's the etiquette??

990B Luva
9th November 2013, 07:46 PM
I've had to do it myself on a more than a few occasions. Try to ensure there is no one in the line of fire.

Lagerlover
9th November 2013, 07:53 PM
Hit a major slice thru the trees lying tight on the next fairway, par 5, as there was no one coming down that hole I decided to play the shot up the other fairway. Long story short, made position, short iron over trees, 2 putts for par. As I'm still a social golfer, no one around, no probs. what happens in comp when all fairways occupied, is it ok to play up opposite fairway, what's the etiquette??

Your fees entitle you to access the whole course. The most annoying thing is when you wait the ten minutes for the other fairway to clear...then chunk the stuff out of it!

mrbluu
9th November 2013, 08:33 PM

The only etiquette is to make sure you are not endangering anyone by hitting up on them. You will have to wait for them to clear out before hitting. Also if you are waiting let your playing partners know to play on so your group doesn't get out if position.

oldracer
9th November 2013, 08:36 PM
Your fees entitle you to access the whole course. The most annoying thing is when you wait the ten minutes for the other fairway to clear...then chunk the stuff out of it! hahaha yep, dun that!!!!! and that group is watching back at your shot up!!!!!!

oldracer
9th November 2013, 08:40 PM
thanks Bluu and 990, just thinking of the times I've gone 2 wide!!!!! shudder!!!

mrbluu
9th November 2013, 08:41 PM
thanks Bluu and 990, just thinking of the times I've gone 2 wide!!!!! shudder!!! 2 wide pppfffttt, get 3 fairways over and then talk to me ;-)

madboarder
9th November 2013, 09:58 PM
On a busy course yell "four" if needed. The best shot is the easy next one!!!

oldracer
9th November 2013, 11:59 PM
2 wide pppfffttt, get 3 fairways over and then talk to me ;-) :lol:

TheNuclearOne
10th November 2013, 12:43 AM
Around my area this has been stunted, sometimes by a high fence parallel to the tee and more often by OB. One course here it was THE play with a sizable advantage so they fenced the shot off.

Another course here (short par 4 bending hard left with high tree's) they used to (many years ago) belt it high and left up another fairway basically at the 18th green which was quite hittable. You'd then have a short easy punch across to the green if you got far enough. A guy got sconed around 18 green apparently and was never the same again, dying some months later because his immune system was in tatters.

So i've been told. So they'd made all along the other fairway OB. Personally if there's no one around on the other FW i'd go for it if it's a decent advantage, if i was going to hold play up waiting for it to clear i'd probably just hit the orthodox shot.