PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Barnbougle/Lost Farm Dash

matty
8th November 2013, 02:13 PM
It's on! :smt026

Saturday 18 Jan - Lost Farm 12.40pm
Sunday19 Jan - Barnbougle 8.20am, lunch, (2.30pm for an optional 9 or 18 holes)

Fly out Sydney early Saturday morning, back the next night.

Accommodation - 2 room cabin, sleeps 4, 1 queen, 3 singles ($230 for the room, $62.50p/p if full)

Will be flying out early Saturday morning from Sydney, coming back the next night.

1. Matty
2. Davepuppies
3. Liptout
4. BenM

DO WE HAVE A FOURTH?

Click on this link of Lost Farm and watch the slide show that starts.
http://www.lostfarm.com.au/

mrbluu
8th November 2013, 02:15 PM
Total price?

KristianJ
8th November 2013, 02:17 PM
That would be a rather interesting birthday present...

Anfield
8th November 2013, 02:19 PM
Bugger! I'm keen but better be in light pencil at this stage.

Dotty
8th November 2013, 02:25 PM
Total price?
Based on a recent trip, set aside ...
$240 for two days golf
$100 per head twin share accom (LF)
$200 per car for 2 day rental (+$60 petrol?)
$200? for a return flight
$50? for Park'n'fly
$18 brekkie and $55 dinner at LF
$x at LF Sports Bar

matty
8th November 2013, 02:33 PM
Pretty close Dotty.
190 for return incl luggage.
Golf is 99 for sat, 130 for sunday (unlimited)
Accom is about right
The hire car can be split 4 ways.

Don't really care about the cost. It's on the bucket list. I just need one person, preferably three to make it even better!

Tee times are good at the moment.

I think they're in top 30 or 40 courses in the world too.

Dangals
8th November 2013, 02:46 PM
Would normally jump at this but the wife doesnt go back to work till Feb and we will be strapped for cash at that point I reckon.

Shame as it's on my list as well

Monsta
8th November 2013, 03:04 PM
If it wasnt for the Vic Champs I would be in like Errol.............

WBennett
8th November 2013, 03:38 PM
No can do but planning a barney king island trip for my 40th in 2015

markTHEblake
8th November 2013, 03:44 PM
It's a good idea but I would be thiking that it needs to be 3 days of golf to justify the expense. I imagine almost everyone can sponge a Friday off work except bank johnnies.

matty
8th November 2013, 03:57 PM
Constructive.

Captain Nemo
8th November 2013, 04:08 PM
If it wasnt for the Vic Champs I would be in like Errol.............

+1
:(

Grunt
8th November 2013, 06:52 PM
Would love to but funds would be short at that time as it would only be a week or so after we return from a South Pacific Cruise.

matty
8th November 2013, 07:06 PM
Just cancel it. I'm sure the Mrs would understand when it comes to these two courses:-D

Grunt
8th November 2013, 07:09 PM
Just cancel it. I'm sure the Mrs would understand when it comes to these two courses:-D

Thanks for the tip Matty. But I will have to pass. This holiday is rather important, is her 40th birthday. ;)

BenM
8th November 2013, 07:48 PM
Haven't looked at my diary but may be able to play... Wouldn't likely need accommodation or flights though :)

stealth2
8th November 2013, 07:51 PM
This is on my bucket list. Let me float the idea and get back to you by Monday. Great idea though.

davepuppies
8th November 2013, 08:09 PM
It's quite a drive to barnbougle from Launceston airport ( 1-1.5 hours)"not sure you would get 36 holes into day 2?

I played,the dunes course a few years ago, and it's great.

Agree it might work better over 3 days.

Peppas
8th November 2013, 08:11 PM
I wish... can't take leave over Jan unfortunately :(

matty
8th November 2013, 08:31 PM
It's one hour from Launceston.
Tee off midday Saturday for 18.
Day 2 play all day. Don't have to be in launceston until 7.30pm or so.

wazandnic
8th November 2013, 11:19 PM
I've done 2x 18s on a Sunday then driven back to the airport.
Ill admit the 2nd 18 we whipped around playing a 2 ball ambrose off the Blacks... But it was also coming after 18 on Fri and 36 on Sat. :)

petethepilot
8th November 2013, 11:32 PM
I wish there had been some northern interest when this was floated as the dates and venues of the TAS champs! Wouldn't have cancelled it then!

matty
9th November 2013, 07:44 AM
It's frustrating Pete.

A couple of guys are possibles. BenM said he might join us for a hit. We'll call it the Tassie Champs for you.:lol:

davepuppies
9th November 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm in, subject to both the wife and I being able to get some additional time off work.

We are thinking of flying down the Thursday night, staying with the wife's grandparents Thursday and Friday night, I will come to barny sat and sun, then stay at grandparents sun night.

If the wife can get the time off, were in. My leave will be fine.

matty
9th November 2013, 10:08 AM
Awesome Dave. Don't mind meeting you down there. Will be good to play it with someone. We could have a good foursome. You never know. Anfieldred, Stealth, and KJ are possibles. Also BenM might join us for a hit too.

When do you think will you find out about getting the Friday off?

mrbluu
9th November 2013, 01:00 PM
Awesome Dave. Don't mind meeting you down there. Will be good to play it with someone. We could have a good foursome. You never know. Anfieldred, Stealth, and KJ are possibles. Also BenM might join us for a hit too.

I'm trying to convince the missus spend a week down there then either has back early whilst we play golf or just hang out while we are playing...I'll check out some flight soon.

Anfield
9th November 2013, 07:10 PM
Sorry Matty I'm no good for this, mrs is talking up an overseas family holiday early next year so Money just won't be there
have a great time though, I'm completely jealous

davepuppies
9th November 2013, 09:19 PM

I will be fine, the mrs should know early next week.

Remind me to remind her ( as bad as that sounds!)

liptout
10th November 2013, 07:38 AM
You know how to find my weak spot don't ya!!

I'm suppose to be heading on a fishing trip that weekend but if I can convince them to cancel it later in the year, like the great Jado says:

"I'm in there like swimwear!!"

I'll let you know through the week if it ain't too late???

davepuppies
10th November 2013, 06:14 PM
The wife has submitted leave, will know in a couple of days if approved......

matty
10th November 2013, 06:32 PM
Sweeeet. Touch wood, looks positive.
Barnbougle/Lost farm. Here we come!

davepuppies
10th November 2013, 07:05 PM
If approved, I might need you to pick me up on the way to barnbougle (will be staying about 15 mins out of Launceston)

BenM
10th November 2013, 07:39 PM
I'm sure someone will be able to give you a lift, I live just outside of Launceston too so will be coming through from there if I play, likely in a wagon so should have some room.

matty
11th November 2013, 01:00 PM
Dave, check this out. Quality is patchy at times but some great footage in there. Check out the putt at 54secs. Tell me he didn't practice that!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edgnP8dJrTM

matty
11th November 2013, 01:01 PM
Oh, don't watch his swing in case you catch something.

matty
11th November 2013, 03:30 PM
This is now happening. The golfing bucket list is now reduced to a single thing, playing St.Andrews.

davepuppies
11th November 2013, 04:51 PM
Ha ha!

Not a pretty swing, but he got it around ok.

Yep, when I played Barney a couple years ago it was insane, looking forward to the lost farm.

liptout
13th November 2013, 03:23 PM
im in!!!

mrbluu
13th November 2013, 03:26 PM
im in!!!

I'm still working on it!!!

matty
13th November 2013, 03:35 PM
im in!!!

YEAH BABY. Lets get this two-day party started.

liptout
13th November 2013, 03:44 PM
i was promised cold beer though.....

is that still part of the deal?? ;)

matty
13th November 2013, 03:50 PM
And I was promised many pars, good scotch, and three cougars.

liptout
13th November 2013, 03:59 PM
consider it DONE!!

Dotty
13th November 2013, 04:07 PM
I'll notify the pond cleaner.

BenM
13th November 2013, 04:11 PM
They have Peroni on tap at the sports bar at Lost Farm. Fair dinkum, after walking up hill and down dale, losing balls in the scrub all day, it's like angels crying on your tongue... :)

The food and drink at Barny ain't half bad either, at least it wasn't last time I was there, though that was years and years ago....

Anfield
13th November 2013, 05:46 PM
I'll notify the pond cleaner. he'll be right Dotty, I'm not going, apparently it was my fault Liptout hurled up his entire stomach contents!!!!!!

davepuppies
13th November 2013, 08:14 PM
Someone seriously needs to jump of this 4th spot....

I played barnbougle dunes a couple of years ago and it is both a serious test of golf and some of the best views I have seen on a course.

Surely someone wants to be Scotty's partner to take Matty and my cash?

Grunt
13th November 2013, 08:21 PM
getting tempted just have to work it out and see if FF points will get me there. Huge selling point that the flights are free.

liptout
13th November 2013, 08:35 PM
I'll notify the pond cleaner.

I won't be eating Maccas for breakfast, so can't see me getting food poisoning again!! ;)

he'll be right Dotty, I'm not going, apparently it was my fault Liptout hurled up his entire stomach contents!!!!!!

And I was fine until you shat yourself thank you very much!! And don't deny it, there was stuff dribbling down your legs!!

davepuppies
13th November 2013, 08:50 PM
I won't be eating Maccas for breakfast, so can't see me getting food poisoning again!! ;)

And I was fine until you shat yourself thank you very much!! And don't deny it, there was stuff dribbling down your legs!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

mrbluu
13th November 2013, 09:24 PM
Someone seriously needs to jump of this 4th spot....

I played barnbougle dunes a couple of years ago and it is both a serious test of golf and some of the best views I have seen on a course.

Surely someone wants to be Scotty's partner to take Matty and my cash?

I'm telling you guys keen this thread quiet for a couple of weeks so I can talk the missus around after I get back from QLD champs. Its a hard sell going to another golf trip 2 days before I go on this one.

I think it will be ok, I got her to marry me, how hard can this be :D

Grunt
13th November 2013, 09:32 PM
I hear you Mrbluu, I am the same, will be returning from cruise the week before and I go to Hong Kong the week after. Serious negotiation required.

matty
13th November 2013, 09:41 PM
Pay 180odd for flights now then it's only a couple of rounds of golf in two months.

mrbluu
13th November 2013, 09:47 PM
Pay 180odd for flights now then it's only a couple of rounds of golf in two months. It's not the money mate, she doesn't like me being away... 2 weeks and I should have it sorted.

matty
13th November 2013, 10:54 PM
Flights paid through Jetstar. Seat 9F. 9E for Liptout. 9D for the fourth person if still available when they book. Plane still mostly empty.

davepuppies
14th November 2013, 07:51 AM
Does Virgin fly to Launceston too?

Would like to avoid jetstar if possible

matty
14th November 2013, 08:43 AM
Not sure mate. It's only an hour and a half or so.

matty
14th November 2013, 10:28 AM

Got this hanging on the wall next to the computer at work. Not sure whether it's a tease or makes being a work easier.

BenM
14th November 2013, 10:38 AM
Does Virgin fly to Launceston too?

Would like to avoid jetstar if possible

Yes, but I don't think there are too many direct flights from anywhere other than Melbourne, so you'd likely have to stopover there for an hour or two.

wazandnic
14th November 2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah Virgin flight from Sydney just one per day from memory. And I also think were afternoon flights??

live4golf
14th November 2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah Virgin flight from Sydney just one per day from memory. And I also think were afternoon flights??

Surely it would be a virgin flight just the once?

wazandnic
14th November 2013, 02:29 PM
boom boom ;)

liptout
15th November 2013, 08:42 PM
Right, finally......

2 days later, 2hrs on the phone and nearly a broken iPad and laptop but my flight is booked!!

So who else is in?? or is everybody else to scared of losing a few golf balls in Tassy!!

mrbluu
15th November 2013, 09:56 PM
How come Andy (and Goughy) dont have the normal ranking category above their avatar?

and please dont say its becuase he is a champion.

I said keep thosnthread quiet for a couple weeks.

BenM
15th November 2013, 11:22 PM
I have been staying quiet in case another sydneysider wants to come down but I'm still keen to play. Golf balls are cheap and I might even be back in form by then.

matty
24th November 2013, 06:14 PM
Can we get a fourth pls. These are in the top few dozen courses in the world. Surely someone wants in. Liptout is a nice bloke, promise.

matty
9th December 2013, 05:49 PM
Still after a fourth. Unfortunately a few non-Ozgolfers have pulled out leaving us one short of a foursome.

Surely there is one Ozgolfer who wants to join us. What about melbournites? Easy trip for you guys.

matty
9th December 2013, 06:03 PM
Disregard. We have a fourth!

matty
19th December 2013, 09:20 PM
In the new list of top 100 courses in Australia Barny Dunes and Lost Farm come in at 2 and 3 respectively behind RM West.

4 weeks to go. :smt026

LeftyHoges
19th December 2013, 11:52 PM
In the new list of top 100 courses in Australia Barny Dunes and Lost Farm come in at 2 and 3 respectively behind RM West.

4 weeks to go. :smt026

I'll bet Kingston Heath are pissed off about that!

matty
20th December 2013, 05:44 AM
Probably. It's all pretty subjective anyway, isn't it?

TS
20th December 2013, 10:30 AM
I had played Barnbougle quite a few time, and I had played Kingston Heath couple of time recently. From my layman point of view, I would rate Barnbougle over Kingston Heath.

I only played Lost Farm once when it first open, condition wasn't great at the time. So it is hard to compare.

Icestorm959
20th December 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm doing the dash just after new years, (decided yesterday lol)
Sooooooo excited! :D

davepuppies
20th December 2013, 10:59 AM
Bring it on!

davepuppies
8th January 2014, 02:40 PM
Hi all,

I just told Matty I am out for this sadly......

After 10 days my ankle hasn't improved enough that I can see my self being able to swing a club without risking further injury.

So in saying this, my place is open!

I have paid for the accommodation, so if someone wants to take my place they can stay for free on me!

BenM
8th January 2014, 09:15 PM
Bugger - sorry to hear that mate...

If another OzGolfer doesn't take your spot I will ask around and see if I can get a local to fill it.

liptout
16th January 2014, 03:28 PM
Bugger - sorry to hear that mate...

If another OzGolfer doesn't take your spot I will ask around and see if I can get a local to fill it.

so any other 'Tasswegians' coming along for a hit, or is just the 3 of us??

BenM
16th January 2014, 07:50 PM
I had a mate who was pretty keen to play at least one day, SMSed him asking for confirmation 3 hours ago and haven't heard back - will let you know. Didn't really end up talking to anyone else.

Good chance we'll have a 4 on at least one day.

BenM
17th January 2014, 09:29 AM
Big girl backed out, too tired. Looks like just a 3 both days unless I run into someone at the club this arvo who's keen.

liptout
17th January 2014, 09:58 AM
oh well...

3 or 4, dont make much difference to me.

but that extra person could be handy in helping find a ball!! ;)

davepuppies
17th January 2014, 10:02 AM
Sorry fellas.

In other, more encouraging news, the weather down here is spectacular. I just had coffee in the sun, it is great golfing weather.

wazandnic
17th January 2014, 10:25 AM
oh well...

3 or 4, dont make much difference to me.

but that extra person could be handy in helping find a ball!! ;)

But 3 means your group will move quicker so you have more time to look! Half full / half empty ;)

Have fun guys you will love it. And just remember there are a couple of good local rules:

- Drop the ball where it enters the crap if you loose it... no need to go back. (I like this one!)
- Drop out of divots in the fairway
- Drop out of foot prints in bunkers

Enjoy and just take it all in.

matty
17th January 2014, 02:04 PM
Oh, this is tomorrow already? Haven't even given it a thought. :smt118

wazandnic
17th January 2014, 02:15 PM
Oh, this is tomorrow already? Haven't even given it a thought. :smt118

haha... I reckon you are thinking of nothing else!!

davepuppies
17th January 2014, 02:28 PM
Bring your wet weather gear.....

There has been a drop in pressure, and quite possible rain......

Currently 32 degrees and nice, but probable rain

BenM
17th January 2014, 02:51 PM
Yep - at least we won't be stinking hot. Forecast is low-mid 20s and possible showers.

But they've been wrong a bit this week!

davepuppies
17th January 2014, 07:33 PM
We had about 1mm..... Not even at Tamar ( near Launceston)

BenM
17th January 2014, 08:16 PM
We had about 1mm..... Not even at Tamar ( near Launceston)

Yeah there was a tiny shower this morning but it only lasted about 5 minutes. Been hearing thunder out here tonight though, definitely some storms around.

I don't mind if we get the odd shower tomorrow, so long as they pass. Hate playing when it's pissing down with no sign of a letup.

So you made it down here anyway even though you couldn't play eh?

BenM
17th January 2014, 08:17 PM
And just as I post that, it starts raining properly out here.

Feel like calling out 'Maaaarge, the rains are 'ere!!!'

matty
17th January 2014, 10:07 PM
That's alright. It'll soften the greens up nicely. Ben, we request no rain between 12.30pm and 5pm. Thank you.

liptout
17th January 2014, 10:16 PM
Or wind!!

BenM
17th January 2014, 10:26 PM
Request submitted.

Will sacrifice a goat shortly.

davepuppies
18th January 2014, 11:18 AM
You should have your wish granted for no rain...... It's about 31 degrees and no sign of rain, but it don't think barnbougle ever delivers no wind?

davepuppies
18th January 2014, 11:19 AM
Yeah there was a tiny shower this morning but it only lasted about 5 minutes. Been hearing thunder out here tonight though, definitely some storms around.

I don't mind if we get the odd shower tomorrow, so long as they pass. Hate playing when it's pissing down with no sign of a letup.

So you made it down here anyway even though you couldn't play eh?

Yeah, we had booked flights already, and my wife's grandparents live overlooking the Tamar, so we came down for a weeks holiday anyway......

Hope you guys have a blast!

Get Matty or Scott to send me through some pics!

BenM
18th January 2014, 11:27 AM
Yeah, we had booked flights already, and my wife's grandparents live overlooking the Tamar, so we came down for a weeks holiday anyway......

Hope you guys have a blast!

Get Matty or Scott to send me through some pics!

Told! View from the cabin ain't too shabby....

matty
19th January 2014, 01:33 PM
The front nine of the dunes is the best nine holes I have ever, and dare I say, will ever see. Same goes for the 4th hole. Incredible.
The 8th is up there too. Played off the blacks today into a mild wind. 446m! But a great design.
The Dunes overtakes NSW as the best course I've played.
Got a heap of pics and a magical piece of Ozgolf footage of BenM on the tee of 17.Will post tomorrow.

mrbluu
19th January 2014, 01:41 PM
The front nine of the dunes is the best nine holes I have ever, and dare I say, will ever see. Same goes for the 4th hole. Incredible.
The 8th is up there too. Played off the blacks today into a mild wind. 446m! But a great design.
The Dunes overtakes NSW as the best course I've played.
Got a heap of pics and a magical piece of Ozgolf footage of BenM on the tee of 17.Will post tomorrow.

So u not a fan ;)

BenM
19th January 2014, 02:33 PM
Nah they both hated it. Complained all the way round. Never playing with that pair of whingers again ;)

Seriously good fun today. I hadn't played Barny for about 7 years, it has some truly fantastic golf holes. Enjoyed it more than Lost Farm for sure.

We played it off the tips and the breeze was blowing the opposite way to usual so we copped some fairly long holes into the wind, eg the 8th at 446m par 4 was a bit tough. Probably for me the 17th was a bit tougher but I won't explain because Matty will post the footage. It's a little embarassing but piss funny at the same time.

Thanks for the company and the laughs fellas, it was good fun Hope you don't get rained on this arvo.

Icestorm959
20th January 2014, 09:49 AM
Nah they both hated it. Complained all the way round. Never playing with that pair of whingers again ;)

Seriously good fun today. I hadn't played Barny for about 7 years, it has some truly fantastic golf holes. Enjoyed it more than Lost Farm for sure.

We played it off the tips and the breeze was blowing the opposite way to usual so we copped some fairly long holes into the wind, eg the 8th at 446m par 4 was a bit tough. Probably for me the 17th was a bit tougher but I won't explain because Matty will post the footage. It's a little embarassing but piss funny at the same time.

Thanks for the company and the laughs fellas, it was good fun Hope you don't get rained on this arvo.

That 8th at 446m is a ridiculous par 4.

I played it twice and both times I was still at the bottom of the rocky hill on which the green is situated after two shots. Getting a bogey on that hole felt like a par on any other hole.

wazandnic
20th January 2014, 10:06 AM
That 8th at 446m is a ridiculous par 4.

I played it twice and both times I was still at the bottom of the rocky hill on which the green is situated after two shots. Getting a bogey on that hole felt like a par on any other hole.

Sometimes it is best to be there for 2 and try to get up and down for your par or just take bogey and move on??

And yeah get it in the prevailing (down) wind and it can play not that bad. We played Driver, 6 irons into the green one day which is fair for a Par 4.
Great hole for mine. Massive room off the tee.

matty
20th January 2014, 11:40 AM
It's certainly an impressive hole. We played it into a mild wind the first time from the back tees. We had to laugh. Looked like a par5!
I hit an okay drive, 17* hybrid, got to top tier 10m short of green.
Second time off terracotta tees (comp white tees), no wind, driver, 17*, very back of green, 40m putt. 3 jab obviously :-)

liptout
20th January 2014, 07:42 PM
Did I mention that I parred that hole on our 2nd time around it?? :D

Benny, mate you really missed some impressive golf when you left. Matty put on a driving clinic that Adam Scott would be proud of!! Flushed every hole except the 4th (something about that hole that doesn't let you hit a decent tee shot!!) and was flicking lob wedges into most of the greens.........

Felt like I was hitting a frigging 7 iron off every tee watching his drives fly past mine whilst till rising!!

BenM
20th January 2014, 09:35 PM
That would've been good to see... but also a bit demoralising. Was it the 12th on Saturday, pretty sure I hit that drive as pure as I could, yours was about the same distance, and Matty just striped one about 50 metres further than both of us. Into the wind. He does give it a belt and get it out there a looong way!