PDA

View Full Version : Barbecue recommendations

gazgolf1
22nd October 2013, 12:25 PM
We are looking for a new Barby for Xmas and need some recommendations. Our current one is a reasonably big 6 burner that has been a disappointment as the burners are too far from the plates and I can never get it quite hot enough to get a nice char on steaks etc.
We will probably go smaller this time as we never use all the plates, anyone got a goody?

PeteyD
22nd October 2013, 12:27 PM
Those Weber Q's seem to get a lot of praise.

Steve57
22nd October 2013, 12:38 PM
Those Weber Q's seem to get a lot of praise.

+1000000 and get the biggest one you can afford!

Marto65
22nd October 2013, 01:28 PM
I just got a weber q 320. Great stuff ... wheeled my shitbox to the bin. Sounds like your old one is the same as my old one.

Courty
22nd October 2013, 01:46 PM
Weber Q. Don't leave home without it.

gazgolf1
22nd October 2013, 02:17 PM
Wow sounds pretty conclusive boys

PeteyD
22nd October 2013, 03:01 PM
Might have to get one myself.

Peter
22nd October 2013, 03:07 PM
Weber, provided you don't mind cooking with the lid down.

Results are good, but the process takes a little getting used to.

BrettM
22nd October 2013, 06:09 PM
No to the Weber Q for me. They're not big enough if you are cooking for several people IMO. I like to cook roasts on the BBQ and they won't fit in a regular Weber Q if you're cooking one with veg in another dish. We bought a simple 4 burner Beefmaster from BBQ Galore for about $450. I was like you with my last BBQ, not enough heat. I got the ceramic tiles in this one and get the big flame charring now like the old ones with the volcanic rock. For that price, roasts, cooking for several people simply, in a few years when it rusts, throw it out and get another given they're cheap.

perci
22nd October 2013, 06:39 PM
I bought an original Webber Q years age and it would never get hot enough the Char Grill so I drilled out the holes in the Burner Ring and replaced the Jet with a Jet out of a Mikuni Carburetor put some ceramic things in it and now it Kicks Ass, but yea struggle to fit in a decent sized Roast!

popper81
22nd October 2013, 07:16 PM
I bought an original Webber Q years age and it would never get hot enough the Char Grill so I drilled out the holes in the Burner Ring and replaced the Jet with a Jet out of a Mikuni Carburetor put some ceramic things in it and now it Kicks Ass, but yea struggle to fit in a decent sized Roast!

Hahaha... Awesome!

Shortylook
22nd October 2013, 07:25 PM
We have a big webber and it's spot on. Cooks for our family of 4 piece of piss

liptout
22nd October 2013, 07:44 PM
http://bluetonguebbqs.com.au/shop/bt8ss-8-burner-barbeque.html

Depends on how much you wana spend, but I've got one of these and it's friggin awesome..... Use it prob 3 times a week through summer and has never missed a beat.

Even survived taking a spill of the back deck couple of years ago in a massive storm!!

Jackson
22nd October 2013, 07:58 PM
Get a real Weber, not the Weber Q. Big enough for anything your cooking and using gas to BBQ is like having headcovers on your irons...

Pieface
22nd October 2013, 08:22 PM
Just cruise bulk rubbish for a weber. Weber roast dominates gas roast

Need a gas BBQ of some sort because grilling on a weber is a PIA. Don't need anything too flash just make sure it has a decent thickness solid cast iron plate of some sort and some open grill. Can't see much point in a hood for a gasser but having one isn't a drama.

Marto65
22nd October 2013, 08:34 PM
Gaz, I also have an original weber. I only use it for roasts. The Q can do the steaks and other stuff.

sms316
22nd October 2013, 08:35 PM
Get a real Weber, not the Weber Q. Big enough for anything your cooking and using gas to BBQ is like having headcovers on your irons...Just checking if this is Jackson or someone else using his phone.

Grunt
22nd October 2013, 09:00 PM
On this topic what are the goods when it comes to Natural gas? My Rennai Outdoor kitchen is on it last summer and will be due for am upgrade at the end of the summer.

Jackson
22nd October 2013, 09:08 PM
Just checking if this is Jackson or someone else using his phone.

I've learnt my lesson, phone locked at all times now!

gazgolf1
22nd October 2013, 09:18 PM

Awesome Perci you are the Macgyver of Tarragindi ;)

chappy1970
22nd October 2013, 09:20 PM
http://bluetonguebbqs.com.au/shop/bt8ss-8-burner-barbeque.html

Depends on how much you wana spend, but I've got one of these and it's friggin awesome..... Use it prob 3 times a week through summer and has never missed a beat.

Even survived taking a spill of the back deck couple of years ago in a massive storm!!

I bought one almost identical called the Swiss grill a few weeks back, got a ripping deal on a 6 burner, including the ceramic burner at the back.

I'm in the process of building a frame on my back deck for it, will post pics when it's done

mrbluu
22nd October 2013, 10:02 PM
I got 3 webers and they are pretty good. Got a kettle on which is my preferred choice as coal is best. I got given a small one for camping too. Then I won a Weber Q at a work function and it probably get the most use as its quick and easy. You can go wrong with any Weber product.

Hux
22nd October 2013, 10:11 PM
Got a Weber Baby Q for camping. Its awesome however it is marginal in size for a roast and veggies. It does however roast to perfection. I did perhaps the best ever roast pork in it when we were at the Bungle Bungles.....nothing survived the four of us just gorged on the awesome meat.

It is crap for bacon and eggs - too hard to get it hot and sizzling for bacon and then regulate temp for cooking eggs.

I would like to see what the big webers are like - but they are damn expensive for what you get.

mike
22nd October 2013, 10:25 PM
I built a brick BBQ with a 12 mm hotplate. Heat is provided by burning timber. Everything tastes fantastic cooked on this thing.

Lucky I live in the sticks, not sure if they'd allow it in the city.

Can't do roasts, we've got an oven for that.

damoocow
22nd October 2013, 10:28 PM
My barbie is a cheap 4 burner name brand one from Big W bought about 15 years ago - upgraded the bottle and connections for safety a few years ago but it is worn and ugly and unbreakable and suits us fine. When it dies I will build an old school brick and hot plate BBQ that works on wood - like I remember when I was a kid - nothing like limited control over the flame and the skills associated with trying to get the temp just right to cook.

Courty
22nd October 2013, 10:30 PM
It is crap for bacon and eggs - too hard to get it hot and sizzling for bacon and then regulate temp for cooking eggs.

I disagree. I've done bacon & eggs whilst camping quite a few times and they've turned out magnificent!

chappy1970
18th November 2013, 11:35 AM
The almost final product.
Old
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/null_zps33597924.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/null_zps33597924.jpg.html)

New
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/null_zpse5607660.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/null_zpse5607660.jpg.html)

keymaster
18th November 2013, 01:36 PM
Weber q is probably the easiest. But my preference is a charcoal bbq everyday of the week. Yes it takes a little more effort, but you can't argue with the flavour.

You can pick up a decent Weber kettle in the bay fairly cheaply. I've even seen some on Gumtree for less than $100.

I've cook some amazing ribs and wings lately. Will post some pics up later.

gazgolf1
18th November 2013, 06:17 PM
Old
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/null_zps33597924.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/null_zps33597924.jpg.html)

New
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/null_zpse5607660.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/null_zpse5607660.jpg.html)

Looks good Chappy, your oldie is the same as ours, can't wait to get rid of it.

keymaster
18th November 2013, 08:07 PM
Old

New

Looks great Chappy!

oncewasagolfer
18th November 2013, 09:18 PM
Nice job mate.

BrettM
23rd November 2013, 12:29 PM
I saw these at the Good Food and Wine Show at Southbank a couple of weeks ago, so an early Christmas present.

I made my first smoker out of a garbage can, with a rack at the top and an old electric hotplate at the bottom. This one is now fully automatic and can cold and hot smoke. Will smoke some chicken for dinner later.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/kelbrett/photo1_zps34df9a19.jpg

LarryLong
31st December 2013, 10:27 PM
I can't believe I'm going to admit this in public, but I've pretty much decided to replace my rusty 4-burner job with a portable electric BBQ that I can keep inside when I'm not using it. Everything rusts in the salt spray where I am - my current BBQ looked 20 years old after 2. A weber Q is the other option, but gas bottles also worry me a little under those circumstances. I'm only feeding three people most of the time, so it seems like a reasonable, if somewhat un-manly option to go with a big electric grill on a stand or on a table. It's not like you get any flavour benefit from gas, and wood fire isn't really a great option here. That said, I do have fond memories of lighting the fire for Dad's home-built wood fire monstrosity - I used to love that BBQ.

So, with that out of the way, is anybody willing to own up to owning an electric BBQ, or recommend a good one they have seen? I saw the sunbeam one in the local hardware shop - it looks OK, but the stand is slightly wobbly.

PeteyD
31st December 2013, 11:25 PM
No.

Haystacks
31st December 2013, 11:39 PM
No.

Also no

BenM
1st January 2014, 12:15 AM
Not me

AlexMc
1st January 2014, 08:19 AM
We have a Weber Spirit and it is pretty fantastic. Their warranty service is impressive too - we had one of the gas lines disintegrate and Weber had someone around to fix it within a few days. 25 year warranty, no arguments.

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 09:35 AM
I can't believe I'm going to admit this in public, but I've pretty much decided to replace my rusty 4-burner job with a portable electric BBQ that I can keep inside when I'm not using it. Everything rusts in the salt spray where I am - my current BBQ looked 20 years old after 2. A weber Q is the other option, but gas bottles also worry me a little under those circumstances. I'm only feeding three people most of the time, so it seems like a reasonable, if somewhat un-manly option to go with a big electric grill on a stand or on a table. It's not like you get any flavour benefit from gas, and wood fire isn't really a great option here. That said, I do have fond memories of lighting the fire for Dad's home-built wood fire monstrosity - I used to love that BBQ.

So, with that out of the way, is anybody willing to own up to owning an electric BBQ, or recommend a good one they have seen? I saw the sunbeam one in the local hardware shop - it looks OK, but the stand is slightly wobbly.

Is it a George Foreman Grill?

LarryLong
1st January 2014, 09:38 AM
No.

Also no

Not me
Why, why, why?

gazgolf1
1st January 2014, 10:51 AM
no we got this

BUSHY
1st January 2014, 11:27 AM
Question for those with a Weber charcoal how do you go cooking steaks? We were just about to get a FamilyQ but now I'm not so sure.

PeteyD
1st January 2014, 11:37 AM
Why, why, why?

Hand in your man card.

Daves
1st January 2014, 11:48 AM

The main issue with electric, is no open flame to char grill by. I have my gas BBQ set up with 2 open grills and one solid plate so I can char grill steaks etc, with a good solid hot ( that actually gets hot!) plate for onions, sausages, chips etc. IMO you can't beat a good steak cooked over real flames through an open grill. Seasoned corn cobs wrapped in foil and cooked over the grill are also something special. Ditto, kebabs, skewers etc.

We live right on the water and I haven't found corrosion a major issue. I do have proper cover that also covers the gas tanks. I have 2 galvanised 9kg gas tanks that I rotate, and they run out of certification well before corrosion is ever going to be an issue. You can pick them up for under $30 on special. Use the savings to buy yourself a gas fuse and you are set.

Jackson
1st January 2014, 11:52 AM
Question for those with a Weber charcoal how do you go cooking steaks? We were just about to get a FamilyQ but now I'm not so sure.

Perfect for steaks, just put the charcoal in the middle of the Weber. Worth getting the Weber onetouch gold if your using it for steaks and sausages as you can't put a drip tray under them and the coating on it makes it so much easier to clean.

Ashes
1st January 2014, 12:18 PM
Got a Beefmaster 6 burner and don't have any issue burning a heap of food for a big crowd.

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 12:39 PM
BBQ is on a grill over an open flame.

Hot plates are glorified fry pans.

Electric are like the long putters of BBQs. Disappoint from a Richmond supporter.

BUSHY
1st January 2014, 12:39 PM
Perfect for steaks, just put the charcoal in the middle of the Weber. Worth getting the Weber onetouch gold if your using it for steaks and sausages as you can't put a drip tray under them and the coating on it makes it so much easier to clean.

How long does it take to get up to heat to cook steaks?

Ashes
1st January 2014, 12:43 PM

I've switched most of my grill sections to plates. :)

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 02:01 PM
I've switched most of my grill sections to plates. :)

I am wanting to buy a second grill to eliminate the hot plate section entirely. Might as well use the stove.

Ashes
1st January 2014, 02:31 PM
I am wanting to buy a second grill to eliminate the hot plate section entirely. Might as well use the stove.

I'd rather not smoke out the kitchen and house as I burn my meat.

LarryLong
1st January 2014, 03:33 PM
Hand in your man card.
I think I did that a while ago.

The main issue with electric, is no open flame to char grill by. I have my gas BBQ set up with 2 open grills and one solid plate so I can char grill steaks etc, with a good solid hot ( that actually gets hot!) plate for onions, sausages, chips etc. IMO you can't beat a good steak cooked over real flames through an open grill. Seasoned corn cobs wrapped in foil and cooked over the grill are also something special. Ditto, kebabs, skewers etc.

We live right on the water and I haven't found corrosion a major issue. I do have proper cover that also covers the gas tanks. I have 2 galvanised 9kg gas tanks that I rotate, and they run out of certification well before corrosion is ever going to be an issue. You can pick them up for under $30 on special. Use the savings to buy yourself a gas fuse and you are set.

I'm a flat plate all the way guy like Ashes. The corrosion thing is interesting. I can only assume that we get more salt spray here. It's a wavy beach with windy conditions for a lot of the year. Anything I leave on my back deck (which is sorta covered by a couple of waterproof shade sails) turns rusty as soon as you look away. I've even got stainless steel stuff out there that is looking a tiny bit pitted. I'm probably worrying overly about gas bottles to be honest, but a bloke I know recently had one explode on him and was lucky to get away with his house copping a bit of fire damage and a quick evacuation of the family over the back fence. When I look at the rusty collar on the one I've got (and only picked up from the swap thing at the servo last summer) I get a little nervous.

BBQ is on a grill over an open flame.

Electric are like the long putters of BBQs. Disappoint from a Richmond supporter.
That really hurts.

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 10:38 PM

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 10:39 PM
I'd rather not smoke out the kitchen and house as I burn my meat.

Either load up on SPF 60 or get a larger umbrella.

Jackson
2nd January 2014, 09:08 AM
How long does it take to get up to heat to cook steaks?

Using a chimney starter, about 15/20 minutes.

Jackson
2nd January 2014, 09:11 AM

Doesn't that make gas the belly putters of bbq's then?

Johnny Canuck
2nd January 2014, 09:57 AM
Doesn't that make gas the belly putters of bbq's then?

Gas is just the transition from Persimmon to metal woods.

Jackson
2nd January 2014, 03:56 PM
Gas is just the transition from Persimmon to metal woods.

Its cheating.
Enjoy your steaks*

Johnny Canuck
2nd January 2014, 04:09 PM
Its cheating.
Enjoy your steaks*

When you have a family to cook for, you need to cut corners to save time.

Electrics are the cheat sticks. Gas is evolution.

Jackson
3rd January 2014, 07:33 PM
This one looks pretty good
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elwood/bbq/enchanted-bbq-for-sale/1035043823