PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie -So who thought she would make the cut -SPOILER

miro
13th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Well well well,

If I were Nike I would start considering whether my $5m per annum was of vlaue.

9 over after the first round -I thought she was supposed to be getting better.

The only question to be answered re Ms Wie these days is whether she is the best teenage female in the USA?

Those other questions -will she play on the PGA, will she qualify for the Masters etc seem to be getting answered rather earlier than her media machine would like.

3oneday
13th January 2006, 01:53 PM
A few more scores like that and this sort of news will be where it should be.........

NO WHERE !!!!!!!!!!

Obviously a good golfer but doesn't warrant YET the attention she is getting.... time will tell.

Pete

miro
13th January 2006, 02:02 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention -currently LAST.

Before the apologists jump on me I would like to say:

- yes even coming last is an impressive performance for a 16 year old girl
- when she shoots even par tomorrow (with all the pressure off) this is not supporting that she currently has the ability to play the PGA tour.

Jono
13th January 2006, 02:03 PM
It's amazing to see grown men bitch about a 16 year old girl ... :?

miro
13th January 2006, 02:06 PM
Ah Jono -apologist 1.

I am not bitching about her -I actually quite look forward to her competing against the other young guns on the LPGA. It should make better viewing than the PGA.

However, I don't enjoy sidewhows to circus acts -which is what she is becoming -not a sideshow, not a circus act BUT a sideshow to a circus act.

3oneday
13th January 2006, 02:08 PM
It's amazing to see grown men bitch about a 16 year old girl ...  :?

AndyP
13th January 2006, 02:21 PM
And she's not even that good looking...

Jarro
13th January 2006, 03:31 PM
i would've been willing to put money on her having a shocker in the first round :roll:

I can't for the life of me understand why a woman should be playing against the guys anyway ..... she's on a hiding to nothing anyway :?

Let her play on the LPGA tour where i'm sure she'll star in the future.

Grunt
13th January 2006, 03:32 PM
i would've been willing to put money on her having a shocker in the first round  :roll:

I can't for the life of me understand why a woman should be playing against the guys anyway ..... she's on a hiding to nothing anyway  :?

Let her play on the LPGA tour where i'm sure she'll star in the future.
Well said Jarro.

amanda
13th January 2006, 04:21 PM
The only question to be answered re Ms Wie these days is whether she is the best teenage female in the USA?
Go Paula \:D/ 5 wins in your first year on the LPGA beats coming close to making the cut on the mens tour.

Fishman Dan
13th January 2006, 11:31 PM
Heard an interview with her prior to the +9, saying that playing with boys will make her better.

Where i come from, coming stone mutherless doesn't help your confidence whether you're playing with girls, boys, or the Royal Blind Society.

Jono
14th January 2006, 01:48 AM
GO MICHELLE! 8)

Jono
14th January 2006, 02:21 PM
2 under through 14 holes today ...  8)   This 16 year old can play.

Looks like Apples had a good round too. :smt023

3oneday
14th January 2006, 03:50 PM
2 under through 14 holes today ...  8)   This 16 year old can play.that was never in doubt Jono :roll: :roll:

So now she misses the cut by...... too much expectation on the poor girl, she and her management should consider saying no for a while, at least until she has a couple of wins on the LPGA this year. It'll be a suprise if she doesn't :shock: :shock:

Pete

Jarro
14th January 2006, 04:27 PM
you'd like to hope they realise she should'nt be mixing it up with the guys :roll:

BrisWesty
14th January 2006, 06:05 PM
I guess it begs the question, how many 16 year old boys could make the cut on the US Tour?

None? How old was Ty Tryon when he had a go?

Is it then a surprise that Michelle Wie hasn't made cuts?

Fishman Dan
14th January 2006, 06:11 PM
This has got Anna Kournakova written all over it. Except for the glam kit of course...

Jono
14th January 2006, 08:22 PM
2 under through 14 holes today ...  8)   This 16 year old can play.that was never in doubt Jono  :roll:  :roll:

So now she misses the cut by...... too much expectation on the poor girl, she and her management should consider saying no for a while, at least until she has a couple of wins on the LPGA this year. It'll be a suprise if she doesn't  :shock:  :shock:

Pete

Well, reading the original post again, there's hardly any sympathy for "poor girl" ... :wink:

For what it's worth, I agree there is too much pressure on her and too much expectations. However, if she wants to play both tours, and the sponsors are willing to let her play, then so be it. Just as she doesn't need the excessive expectations, I don't think we should criticize her too harshly either.

3oneday
14th January 2006, 08:51 PM
I don't think we should criticize her too harshly either.who then, her advisors ?? someone should be taking a look at the situation. It seems like every single golf forum has a thread or three about it, and not many folk are saying "you go girl" :roll:

She needs to come out and say, OK, that's it, no more. She's becoming part of a freak show.....

Apart from Dan's dribble, most of it has been quite sensible posting IMHO :wink: :P .

Pete

Grunt
14th January 2006, 09:00 PM
This may be taking this too far but it seems the whole Michelle thing is like me getting a sponsors invite to a pro tournament. Would be a hiding to nothing!!
She should just go and kick some butt on the LPGA and if she does so then play the guys in a skins game or something. I bet the other girls on the LPGA are almost sick of hearing of her, especially the ones that have won on the LPGA tour

Fishman Dan
15th January 2006, 09:01 AM
Pete - they're valid points, and/or a different point of view.. :roll:

Post 1 - She's got no place in a mens comp, and playing them will only ruin her game, not improve it. In the interview i heard she was just spouting rubbish and didn't sound like she really believed it. Ah, the impetuousness of youth.

Post 2 - I'd like to see the odds of her not winning a tournament in the 2 years, and nothing would surprise me if she failed miserably longer than that. I am prepared to eat humble pie however..

3oneday
15th January 2006, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see the odds of her not winning a tournament in the 2 yearsnot win where ?? I would suggest she is a moral to win on the LPGA, whereas the aim on the PGA tour is simply to make the cut. Something I might add is against what every golf shrink recommends, riding the cut line !!!

Still dribble though :wink:

Jono
15th January 2006, 05:31 PM
This may be taking this too far but it seems the whole Michelle thing is like me getting a sponsors invite to a pro tournament. Would be a hiding to nothing!!

Yep, that's taking it WAY too far.  One, she's got market appeal (you don't) and two, she can play (you can't).  :wink:

She shot two under on Friday with 7 birdies (12th best score of the day).  This is on a PGA tournament course.  You or I couldn't shoot that kind of number on a 4000 meter goat track with 50 meter wide fairways.

This 16 year old can obviously play and she has huge potential.  I agree she should play more LPGA tournaments, but she's still in highschool.  I guess she has to do her homework too.  :lol:

We can see this as a "freak show" or a 16 year old being given the opportunity, and just having fun doing what she likes to do.  Depending on how she learns from this experience, I don't see why this has to be detrimental to her game.

Grunt
15th January 2006, 05:40 PM
It is not detrimental to her game it is detrimental to the guy that misses a go at a Tour event because she is playing [-X . She has a basically set up future due to the hype of her golf so far. The middle to lower end tour players that are a week to week proposition needs every start they can get to keep their card at the end of the year.
Also I know she is young but after missing the cut again isn't it time for her to just give up on the idea and actually do it later when she has actually won something.

3oneday
15th January 2006, 06:16 PM
It is not detrimental to her game it is detrimental to the guy that misses a go at a Tour event because she is playing [-X . not true, on a sponsors invite they can invite who they want to. If it wasn't her it woulda been someone else. Not a valid argument (sorry).

8)

Disclaimer: The above comment in no way reflects sympathy to any of Jono's arguments.....

:lol: :lol:

Grunt
15th January 2006, 06:18 PM
Ok didn't know that, still dont think she should be there though.

3oneday
15th January 2006, 06:20 PM
Ok didn't know that, still dont think she should be there though.no doubts there mate....

:wink: