PDA

View Full Version : Club Champ tips

Looney
10th October 2013, 12:38 PM
This weekend sees the start of my club Champs. 4 rounds of stroke over 2 weekends. I would like to hear any tips for playing well rather than the normal crap I serve up each year. So what do other do to play well during these events?

Steve57
10th October 2013, 01:01 PM
Just treat it as a normal Saturday round and remember that you can't win in week 1 but you can certainly lose it!

Steve57
10th October 2013, 01:01 PM
Just treat it as a normal Saturday round and remember that you can't win in round 1 but you can certainly lose it!

Captain Nemo
10th October 2013, 01:03 PM
Shoot the lowest score over the 4 rounds...

Hatchman
10th October 2013, 01:27 PM
One round at a time, one hole at a time, one shot at a time.
Don't play holes or shots in your head before it's time. Get to your ball then decide.

To use a Jack Nicklaus line "take time to smell the flowers". Surprisingly this does help keeping you relaxed.

Waddzy
10th October 2013, 01:28 PM
don't think you need to go low to win it? its over 4 rounds so generally 4 decent rounds will win over 3 good and 1 shocker etc. Depends though are you hoping to win gross? what kind of markers are you upto?

Looney
10th October 2013, 01:36 PM
One round at a time, one hole at a time, one shot at a time.
Don't play holes or shots in your head before it's time. Get to your ball then decide.

To use a Jack Nicklaus line "take time to smell the flowers". Surprisingly this does help keeping you relaxed.That sounds like the way to go thanks Hatchman Waddzy I am not looking for win as there are too many guys playing off plus handicaps for a 4 marker to have any sort of real chance of winning but if I can post a couple of decent scores I will be very happy

sms316
10th October 2013, 02:06 PM
Tell the missus to help you out with a little stress relief before play. I advise 90 minutes prior to your tee time.

Looney
10th October 2013, 02:31 PM
Would you suggest she also provide so post round relief as well SMS?

sms316
10th October 2013, 02:38 PM
Would you suggest she also provide so post round relief as well SMS?
Sure. And regardless of how you actually play, make sure that you tell her that it helped a lot and you played really well. There is no point breaking up a successful partnership.

Looney
10th October 2013, 02:41 PM
I wonder if Tiger Woods was ever given that tip as he was a far better player when he was getting the right type of off course relief

Monsta
10th October 2013, 02:45 PM
Drink lots and lots of alcohol the night before...............

Ferrins
10th October 2013, 02:52 PM
One round at a time, one hole at a time, one shot at a time.Don't play holes or shots in your head before it's time. Get to your ball then decide.To use a Jack Nicklaus line "take time to smell the flowers". Surprisingly this does help keeping you relaxed. I think you'll find that line was from Walter Hagen. ;)I like this one from him “You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”Walter Hagen quotes (American Golfer. 1892-1969)

3oneday
10th October 2013, 02:58 PM
Get a game plan for each hole and try to stick to it, avoid racking up big numbers by playing to where bogey will be worst score.

LeftyHoges
10th October 2013, 03:01 PM
Steve57 is on to it here. It can slip away very quickly, in 10 seconds in fact.

Doing well in club champs requires you to be switched on to your game for 16+ hours. No easy feat.

Try not to think of it as a champs round as that only invites more pressure on yourself that you don't need.

One shot at a time and off your handicap try not to make a double for the 72 holes. If you can avoid them you should be OK to post decent scores over the 4 rounds.

mrbluu
10th October 2013, 03:20 PM
I've taken the approach in the last few years of working on my game in the months leading up to the champs and not just the day before. I've never done well before so I'm hoping this year is going to be different. I worked hard last year and didn't get the result that I wanted so I worked harder this year. If I don't get the result this year then I will work harder again next. It has taken all the pressure off myself and I played with a clear head last week (1st round). I had 80 scratch, which leaves middle ground in A Grade scratch but my 72 nett (2 over my handicap) I'm 4 off the lead and around 11th in the nett.

Maybe not the answer you are look for but it seems to work for me. Also I'm trying to enjoy the pressure of it, as it only happens for a couple of rounds a year.

mrbluu
10th October 2013, 03:21 PM
I've taken the approach in the last few years of working on my game in the months leading up to the champs and not just the day before. I've never done well before so I'm hoping this year is going to be different. I worked hard last year and didn't get the result that I wanted so I worked harder this year. If I don't get the result this year then I will work harder again next. It has taken all the pressure off myself and I played with a clear head last week (1st round). I had 80 scratch, which leaves middle ground in A Grade scratch but my 72 nett (2 over my handicap) I'm 4 off the lead and around 11th in the nett.

Maybe not the answer you are look for but it seems to work for me. Also I'm trying to enjoy the pressure of it, as it only happens for a couple of rounds a year.

And do what you can to limit mistakes. Bogies won't hurt, birdies won't save you but doubles or worse can definitely kill your chances!!!

matty
10th October 2013, 03:50 PM
I like stroke. Everyone will have their bad holes. I keep that in mind and limit the damage to myself.

Looney
10th October 2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks Guys the tips have been great, I think SMS's tip is the best but just need to get the wife on board for that one. I think keeping the doubles away is the key for me as I usually make a lot of pars and have 2 or 3 holes where the head comes off and I blow up all the hard work I had put in. this year I feel my game is in ok shape so just need to get the head in the right place for the first round and all will be good

Waddzy
10th October 2013, 04:41 PM
Don't be a hero that tries to save the par from impossible spots, settle for bogeys like the others said because those hurt a lot less then the hero shot that doesn't pay off and ends with a triple.

Double D
10th October 2013, 05:54 PM
Tell the missus to help you out with a little stress relief before play. I advise 90 minutes prior to your tee time.

Sounds like a man with some experience in the matter. 90 minutes is too long for me not sure what I'd do with the other 85+.

As others have said Looney just relax, take your time and have fun.

sms316
10th October 2013, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a man with some experience in the matter. 90 minutes is too long for me not sure what I'd do with the other 85+.As others have said Looney just relax, take your time and have fun.I got through two pennant seasons with that theory.

Tongueboy
10th October 2013, 06:35 PM
poor cow

meh
10th October 2013, 08:36 PM
poor cow

I'm impressed that you managed to insult two people with two words :)

markTHEblake
10th October 2013, 08:44 PM
I have never put 4 good rounds together in a club championship so what would I know. The best I have had is 3 and that was my first out of at least 25. Have led plenty early but always fell over in the penultimate round.

I think most golfers put too much pressure and expectations on themselves and then screw up more self included. You have started this already by this thread so you are screwed already :-). And the textbook cliches are not much help either. The key to better scores is hit better shots.

Let me know when you find out the secret, unless its more practice.

P.s. I just finished my champs. I was one stroke back after R1 and finished 25 strokes behind. Yet I didn't miss a putt under 2m in 4 rounds, so don't tell me the secret is putting !

Double D
10th October 2013, 08:52 PM
The secret for me is in the putting MTB..I've been lucky to hole a putt inside 2m

Dotty
10th October 2013, 09:27 PM
Don't pick up, even if can't score any stableford points. (We have 4-6 do this every stroke round)

Get an early tee time, or it will be 5-6 hours stuck behind muppets thinking it is the Open, or C-graders taking 120+ shots.

If you think a ball may be lost outside a hazard, then play a provisional ASAP.

mrbluu
11th October 2013, 03:42 AM
Don't pick up, even if can't score any stableford points. (We have 4-6 do this every stroke round)

Get an early tee time, or it will be 5-6 hours stuck behind muppets thinking it is the Open, or C-graders taking 120+ shots.

If you think a ball may be lost outside a hazard, then play a provisional ASAP.

Dotty I don't get the first sentence, isn't club champs at your club stroke?

We are lucky for the first 2 rounds A and B grades play on the sat and C grade play Sundays. After that only the top 32 in each grade are in the running and play stroke, whilst the rest of the field is playing in stableford.

Massive fan of hitting provisional ball/s if u are in doubt.

Dotty
11th October 2013, 06:05 AM
Two rounds of stroke and top 16 of each grade qualify for matchplay.

There is always a couple who forget and pick up, when they have had the equivalent of no points. (90% of our rounds are stableford/par, and encourage this to speed up play.) Or they just walk the hole, after losing a ball.

GuyIncognito
11th October 2013, 06:15 AM
Yep cant remember a club champs without someone sheepishly admitting after the round that they picked up when they could no longer score on that hole...

Provisionals are the order of the day, its going to be a slow round anyway, no sense in missing an opportunity to pit a better swing on it to remember for next time (plus fk walking back to the tee)

The others already said it but yeh dont be a hero, or at least save it til the later rounds when you kmow what sort of score youre going to have to shoot...

mrbluu
11th October 2013, 09:24 AM
Two rounds of stroke and top 16 of each grade qualify for matchplay.

There is always a couple who forget and pick up, when they have had the equivalent of no points. (90% of our rounds are stableford/par, and encourage this to speed up play.) Or they just walk the hole, after losing a ball.

Sorry I get what your say....:oops:....A little thicker than usual last night!!!

live4golf
11th October 2013, 09:46 AM
Sorry I get what your say....:oops:....A little thicker than usual last night!!!

...that's what she said.

mrbluu
11th October 2013, 09:50 AM
...that's what she said.

Thanks mate, you are definitely getting a free beer next time I see you!!!

BGH
11th October 2013, 09:55 AM
A quick tip from you that I learned during the first round of our club champs last week.

Don't start triple, bogey, quad.

Marto65
11th October 2013, 09:58 AM
SMS's theory works great, I can attest.

Also ... don't hit too many balls in warm up ... just get warm and work out which way they are going.

Looney
11th October 2013, 11:03 AM
So with a day to go I hope I am ready, I have asked the wife to provide some pre round action (yet to be confirmed) I will only hit a small bucket of balls before teeing off, I will make sure I don't get to focused on the importance of the event. I will try and play fairways and greens without going flag hunting. If I hit it in the shit just get it back in play and make sure a boogie is the worse score. Thanks for all the tips I hope they will help me and maybe others in the future.:D

Monsta
11th October 2013, 11:39 AM
Good luck Looney

LarryLong
11th October 2013, 12:46 PM
Raise the bat on day one, and then enjoy the rest of the tournament.

It's working for me so far this year.

Hatchman
11th October 2013, 01:33 PM
So with a day to go I hope I am ready, I have asked the wife to provide some pre round action (yet to be confirmed) I will only hit a small bucket of balls before teeing off, I will make sure I don't get to focused on the importance of the event. I will try and play fairways and greens without going flag hunting. If I hit it in the shit just get it back in play and make sure a boogie is the worse score. Thanks for all the tips I hope they will help me and maybe others in the future.:D

Work on your rhythm for both :).

Seriously, if your going to hit some balls before the round. Start off with smooth tempo swings with 3/4 wedges, 8 or 9 irons. Progress to some longer clubs and full swings if you feel you have to and finish with a few more of those smooth tempo 3/4 swings. It's not a practice session for working on the swing, it's just a muscle loosener to have you ready to go.

Waddzy
11th October 2013, 02:02 PM
Get your cap out to 19 and go for the C grade champs? worked for me!

Dotty
11th October 2013, 02:19 PM
Tell them a couple of games with internet friends is more important than club champs.

Worked for me.

Looney
12th October 2013, 12:23 PM
So I have played my first round finishing with 80 off the stick net 75 (handicap back to 5) started well hitting the first 8 greens in reg to be 1 under but a double on the 9th after hitting it against a tree then a 3 putt meant a 1 over front nine. On the back 9 5 boogies and a double on the last saw my score blow out but still shouldn't be to for off the pace. Hopefully I can go a couple better tomorrow

Humphrey
12th October 2013, 04:16 PM
So I have played my first round finishing with 80 off the stick net 75 (handicap back to 5) started well hitting the first 8 greens in reg to be 1 under but a double on the 9th after hitting it against a tree then a 3 putt meant a 1 over front nine. On the back 9 5 boogies and a double on the last saw my score blow out but still shouldn't be to for off the pace. Hopefully I can go a couple better tomorrow
As everyone has said, it's the 4 scores that count. Can't win it the first week.
Good luck next week

Looney
14th October 2013, 07:58 AM
Played round 2 yesterday and played like shit. Woke up with a return of the virus I have been fighting all week. Got to the course about and hit about 20 balls which felt ok but did feel like I could make a solid swing. Really struggled with driver off the tee hitting 10 drives that were out of play in some way (fairway bunkers or in the trees) had a big blow up on our 14th hitting two in the water. As bad as the round was it looks like I am just outside the top 10 with 2 rounds to go.