PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, have we all been conned by the OEM marketing hype, NEW is LONGER

daMANiack
9th October 2013, 07:48 PM
Hi,

Yes, I'm a Callaway Driver Junkie, according to the marketing, NEW is better and MUCH, MUCH LONGER, LOWER SPIN, TIGHTER DISPERSION.

I've kept my i-Mix Razr Hawk and FT-9 heads and shafts but always discounted thinking old technology with HIGH SPIN and WIDE DISPERSION.

I've been driving poorly with my Razr Fit and Xtreme drivers lately and decided to test my OLD Razr Hawk and Razr Hawk Tour (Tour issue) drivers against the newer and found surprisingly, the older drivers out performered the newer in consistency, forgiveness and DISTANCE

It's annoying, I've spent $1,000's over the last few years for nothing.

I was hitting my Razr Hawk Tour 10.5* with Vs Proto shaft today, fellow competitor said where did you hit that, I said very low and barely on the club face, but it was 10-15 metres further than where my RF with Tour AD DI shaft would go.

I'm confused and PI$$ED.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

GuyIncognito
9th October 2013, 07:52 PM
tell us more...

Yossarian
9th October 2013, 07:52 PM
Well blow me down with a feather.

Captain Nemo
9th October 2013, 07:59 PM
We are conned daily.
Mickelson is the worst poster boy of them all.
Bangs on about this that and phrankenwood blah, blah then comes out and uses a TM sldr at the preso cup!
Give me a ****ing break.....

simmsy
9th October 2013, 08:00 PM
Well blow me with a feather.

:)

daMANiack
9th October 2013, 08:01 PM
Hi,

We'll, OEM companies now releasing upto 4 new drivers per year, new club cycle used to be around 2 years before replaced.

Claims they make that can't be substantiated.

tell us more...

daMANiack
9th October 2013, 08:11 PM
Hi,

OK, how many of us have our favourites driver of all time sitting in the cupboard thinking NEWER is BETTER.

All I can say, is do some testing like I have, you might be surprised with the results like I was.

oncewasagolfer
9th October 2013, 08:14 PM
I still have the launcher 460 sitting in the shed but its not as shiny as the covert:)

daMANiack
9th October 2013, 08:17 PM
Hi,

My point is, just give it another try, you might be surprised.

I still have the launcher 460 sitting in the shed but its not as shiny as the covert:)

oncewasagolfer
9th October 2013, 08:20 PM
I like new shiny things......:)

Stuartd147
9th October 2013, 08:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing this afternoon when I keep hitting my new Callaway 3-Deep 13* 10-15m past all of my drivers!!!

I thought that I can't wait until Callaway brings out a 1-Deep Driver......but wait a minute.....that will probably be a Great Big Bertha with a new disguise:oops:

PS: The GBB was probably my all time favourite driver with steel FIRM shaft.....stu

simmsy
9th October 2013, 08:23 PM
Had Razr Fit for about 15months now. Can't see anything replacing it.

If I came across a 9032 or FT9 I would buy them again. Both really nice.

daMANiack
9th October 2013, 08:31 PM
Hi,

Do the same as me when my drivers, fairways and hybrids get dull and un-attractrive, use a quality car polish to clean then protect.

Gloss Black is easy to restore, try that with frigg'n WHITE TM crap.

I like new shiny things......:)

Hux
9th October 2013, 08:50 PM
I'd still be using my FT9TA if it hadn't decided to become fully two piece.

I plan on getting another when Nudgee decides to unload his current one.

I reckon the FT9TA was longer than the Razr Extreme - however the headcover on the Extreme matches my current model Cally Razr staff bag!

In the mean time I plan on trying out a Cally Legacy Black driver head.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 08:54 PM
Nothing has out performed my Superfast 2.0 TP with V2 shaft.......

backintheswing
9th October 2013, 08:59 PM
I thought nudgee just sold the FT9TA.

matty
9th October 2013, 09:04 PM
I'm convinced driver heads matter very little, except for feel. Can't see myself getting rid of the razrfit for that reason. Golf swing aside, I believe shafts are the biggest factor for distance, flight, dispersion etc.

Hux
9th October 2013, 09:05 PM
He had 2. He sold the draw bias one. Last thing I need is a draw driver. He has a straight 10.5* as well.....although I also covet someone tour issue FT Tour they are currently using!!!

backintheswing
9th October 2013, 09:09 PM
I have just shafted up a razr hawk tour issue with hot melt, with a axivcore 75s green. Yet to hit it, but it sits mint.

fireblade
9th October 2013, 09:30 PM
yep, the Razr hawk isn't coming out of the bag, nothing new comes close to it...but i do have "my" shaft in it.

backintheswing
9th October 2013, 09:31 PM
yep, the Razr hawk isn't coming out of the bag, nothing new comes close to it...but i do have "my" shaft in it.

What shaft?

fireblade
9th October 2013, 09:41 PM
What shaft? Carbon Fiber Products Exception 90gm.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 10:16 PM
Nothing has out performed my Superfast 2.0 TP with V2 shaft.......

But now I'm considering getting the R1......

LeftyHoges
9th October 2013, 10:27 PM
OK, how many of us have our favourites driver of all time sitting in the cupboard thinking NEWER is BETTER.

Nope.

markTHEblake
9th October 2013, 10:45 PM
Limit of 460cc and .83 COR, there is nothing they can do to make it go further.
All they can do is shiny graphics and some buttons/screws that we wouldnt need if we got fitted properly in the first place :-)

simmsy
9th October 2013, 11:00 PM
Not saying it hasn't been the case for a while now but wouldn't a driver back from the day they bought the .830 rule in have a smaller sweet spot than the newer age driver?

While the cor hasn't changed surely the size of the area that reaches cor has improved over the years.

hocko
9th October 2013, 11:08 PM
And cheers is spelt with an S

markTHEblake
9th October 2013, 11:38 PM
Not saying it hasn't been the case for a while now but wouldn't a driver back from the day they bought the .830 rule in have a smaller sweet spot than the newer age driver?

The sweet spot is still the size of a pin head, that wont change.

The margins of forgiveness on off centre hits increased with the larger clubheads. This never made the ball go further in total, just on the off centre hits compared to a smaller clubhead.

simmsy
10th October 2013, 12:18 AM
So things have improved?

If in 2005 I hit the club 1/2" off the sweet spot would it be longer or shorter than the latest driver.

idgolfguy
10th October 2013, 03:55 AM
My FT-IZ still performs reliably.
Adoration is fickle.

simmsy
10th October 2013, 11:29 AM
Yep the iz is long and straight.

Yossarian
10th October 2013, 03:08 PM
I reckon coke zero tastes nothing like coke.

Waddzy
10th October 2013, 03:46 PM
First decent driver is the Razr Fit.. not changing this for any reason and if I did it would be a 910 , not a 913.. I hit both titty drivers and found the older model my favourite. But most of the lower cap players at my club all seem to be rolling with older models. Confidence in a new club is what makes people keep buying.

rqrox
10th October 2013, 07:09 PM
I reckon coke zero tastes nothing like coke.

But diet coke has always tasted terrible..

golf2013
10th October 2013, 10:04 PM
I am still hitting my 4 year old i15 driver. I try not to hit any newer stuff so i have nothing to compare it to.

markTHEblake
10th October 2013, 10:06 PM
2005 I hit the club 1/2" off the sweet spot would it be longer or shorter than the latest driver.

see above, if your 2005 driver is 460cc then its going to be the same if everything else is the same (shaft, weight, loft, etc)

TheNuclearOne
10th October 2013, 10:21 PM
see above, if your 2005 driver is 460cc then its going to be the same if everything else is the same (shaft, weight, loft, etc)

No it's not. There's are definite forgiveness differences in various 460cc heads.

oncewasagolfer
10th October 2013, 10:50 PM
The covert performance I'm using now is a lot more forgiving on miss hits than my 5? year old launcher 460.

TheNuclearOne
10th October 2013, 10:51 PM
The covert performance I'm using now is a lot more forgiving on miss hits than my 5? year old launcher 460.

For sure.

simmsy
11th October 2013, 01:22 AM
Is it hard to breathe with your head so deep in the sand Blakey?

goughy
11th October 2013, 07:24 AM
Sand or not, after seeing his driving on the weekend an old persimmon head wouldn't be a problem for him. He handed out a lesson. Every drive, same trajectory, same flight, same friggin result!

markTHEblake
11th October 2013, 08:24 AM
Is it hard to breathe with your head so deep in the sand Blakey? Hey. I didn't start this discussion and not the only one that agrees with the topic..But hey that's fine, you are welcome to explain the recent new features that make today's drivers go further.

oncewasagolfer
11th October 2013, 08:36 AM
Have the lighter shafts been proven to increase club head speed or is just a myth?

razaar
11th October 2013, 11:27 AM
Have the lighter shafts been proven to increase club head speed or is just a myth? In what context? Shot distance, accuracy or both?

oncewasagolfer
11th October 2013, 11:36 AM
I was thinking in terms of the lighter clubs ie superfast, Cleveland classic etc. Do they increase clubhead speed and distance?

markTHEblake
11th October 2013, 11:55 AM
yes because they are longer. You can put such a shaft in an older clubhead and the result will be the same.

razaar
11th October 2013, 12:17 PM
I was thinking in terms of the lighter clubs ie superfast, Cleveland classic etc. Do they increase clubhead speed and distance?Yes to clubhead speed where there is clubhead lag; no when there is hand lag. Some experts claim that a lighter shaft encourages hand lag and faults in technique. There is more chance of a player having tempo issues with a light club which upsets the timing and results in poor swings. There is more to distance than just clubhead speed.

virge666
11th October 2013, 01:49 PM
No it's not. There's are definite forgiveness differences in various 460cc heads.

+1

Compare the TM stuff with Taylormade... the TM stuff is way more forgiving.

The Titleist stuff IMO is longer... but the TM doesn't kill you on bad days.

sms316
11th October 2013, 02:09 PM
+1

Compare the TM stuff with Taylormade... the TM stuff is way more forgiving.

The Titleist stuff IMO is longer... but the TM doesn't kill you on bad days.
Huh?

Waddzy
11th October 2013, 02:13 PM
Huh?
Thank god im not the only one confused by that post.

oncewasagolfer
11th October 2013, 03:09 PM
Think Virge meant that titleist is longer than tm but tm is more forgiving. Or something :grin:

TourFit
11th October 2013, 11:31 PM
There are definate differences in the driver heads...but strictly speaking the 460cc SP700 Ti faced drivers are no longer in true terms. What has happened over the years is that the MOI levels and the adjustability has affected the overall forgiveness levels.

On a well struck shot, the 2005 drivers are no shorter than the latest clubs in general. However, many of the latest clubs feature longer length shafts that are lighter, so the potentially perfect shot goes slightly further. Due to that length and weight though, we mortals seem to hit less of them solidly!

To do the test take a 2005 shaft in a 2005 head and the same 2005 shaft in one of todays heads...same length and swingweight. Then use one of todays shafts in both the 2005 head and in one of the latest heads. It is also trickier to get todays heads to swingweight up, 'cos most of the heads are now lighter too.

So in reality, for most of us, DISTANCE alone won't be too much different.

Daves
12th October 2013, 12:02 AM
I took my original "old faithful" for a run today beside my current driver; i.e. 905R 9.5* with a Aldila NV stiff vs a 913 D3 8.5* set at +0.75* = 9.25* with a Rombax 6X07. They look very similar at address, the 905R was a relatively compact 460cc head. On good hits distance is very similar. The 913 is no doubt much more forgiving. Having said that, I don't think I missed the middle with 905R all day. I did pull it badly early though.

Bruce
12th October 2013, 09:09 AM
I'm still using an MX500. I experiment occasionally but it this stays in the bag.

Captain Nemo
5th March 2019, 12:37 PM
Time to bring this too life!

Hatchman
5th March 2019, 01:12 PM
Not only new is longer but also that Blades or MB's as most are referred to now are so unforgiving they'll make your game worse and you must have GI/Shovels.

Bigbad
5th March 2019, 03:55 PM
I think the only club that has drastically changed and been properly researched to show true numbers is the Titleist TS range. From the 917 to the TS the ball speed numbers have grown and have been proven to be true. Almost every other driver is shown to be going the same distance as it's previous models, even the comparisons between drivers show that there has been very little improvement in the overall numbers even going back 3/4 models. I still play the original M1 that Taylormade released, nothing I've hit in the newer ranges has made me want to change, but the TS3 definitely piqued my interest.

benno_r
5th March 2019, 04:09 PM
I think the only club that has drastically changed and been properly researched to show true numbers is the Titleist TS range. From the 917 to the TS the ball speed numbers have grown and have been proven to be true. Almost every other driver is shown to be going the same distance as it's previous models, even the comparisons between drivers show that there has been very little improvement in the overall numbers even going back 3/4 models. I still play the original M1 that Taylormade released, nothing I've hit in the newer ranges has made me want to change, but the TS3 definitely piqued my interest.

That's only because the old models were so far behind the competition, a big increase on the TS range gets them in the ball park.

LeftyHoges
5th March 2019, 04:38 PM
That's only because the old models were so far behind the competition, a big increase on the TS range gets them in the ball park.

Are you trying to tell me that I need to buy a TS to keep up with the big boys?

benno_r
5th March 2019, 04:43 PM

Normally I would, but it's a lot of money for a display coptor that will occasionally be golfed.

SundayHack
5th March 2019, 04:51 PM

I tried the TS and didn't like it. The only titleist driver I haven't owned since the 910.

LeftyHoges
5th March 2019, 04:57 PM
Normally I would, but it's a lot of money for a display coptor that will occasionally be golfed.

10 rounds a year isn't value for money?

I really need to find me a sugar momma...

I tried the TS and didn't like it. The only titleist driver I haven't owned since the 910.

And that's all the recommendation I need. If a VIC Champ doesn't like it, it's off my list.

Courty
5th March 2019, 05:05 PM

Our (semi) pro has always used Titleist drivers since the 905. He's tried the TS range but is sticking with his 917.

Captain Nemo
5th March 2019, 05:27 PM
Are you trying to tell me that I need to buy a TS to keep up with the big boys?No

benno_r
5th March 2019, 05:47 PM
I tried the TS and didn't like it. The only titleist driver I haven't owned since the 910.Even our resident Mackay based Titleist fanboi isn't upgrading to TS. That should tell you something.

LeftyHoges
5th March 2019, 06:17 PM
Our (semi) pro has always used Titleist drivers since the 905. He's tried the TS range but is sticking with his 917.
No
Even our resident Mackay based Titleist fanboi isn't upgrading to TS. That should tell you something.Well I give up then.

I'll just go back to not playing.

3oneday
5th March 2019, 06:37 PM
Time to bring this too life!

Were you expecting this to be all Titleist?

3Puttpete
6th March 2019, 08:09 AM

Cobra Fly Z

#data

LeftyHoges
6th March 2019, 12:22 PM
Cobra Fly Z

#dataI think I have one of these heads somewhere that I never bothered shafting up.

#lessdata

benno_r
6th March 2019, 12:31 PM
I think I have one of these heads somewhere that I never bothered shafting up.

#lessdata

Has to be the limited edition rainbow sparkle edition though. Or the Beetroot one.

3Puttpete
6th March 2019, 12:40 PM
Has to be the limited edition rainbow sparkle edition though. Or the Beetroot one.

Here’s a man who knows his fly zeds

LeftyHoges
6th March 2019, 12:52 PM

If I'm not mistaken wasn't there an Arsenal limited edition one too?

Why the **** you'd want that is beyond me though. That's the golfing equivalent of hitting 12 of 14 fairways, but the 2 you miss are by so far and wide due to sheer stupidity that they completely **** up your score, rendering it all useless and futile anyway.

Ferrins
6th March 2019, 12:58 PM
I have bought into 20 different drivers and the only OGgolf guy I can out drive is possibly Dotty and perci when he is using a tour issue 8.5* head with a TXXX shaft.

Bigbad
6th March 2019, 01:35 PM

Oh I agree, they were always on the higher spinning side for drivers, and never really claimed to be long either. So for them to go the way they did with the TS was a way to "keep up" distance wise. I've hit it in recent months and actually quite liked the feel and sound of it, would game it for sure.