PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Irons at home

IHall
8th October 2013, 12:09 AM
I just picked up a set of Ping Eye 2 becu irons in quite good condition considering their age.
I'm going to reshaft the irons and was thinking I would give them a tidy up at the same time, can anyone suggest a method they have used successfully previously?

Thanks in advance

Johnny Canuck
8th October 2013, 12:23 AM
I just picked up a set of Ping Eye 2 becu irons in quite good condition considering their age.I'm going to reshaft the irons and was thinking I would give them a tidy up at the same time, can anyone suggest a method they have used successfully previously?Thanks in advanceHaha. You met Simmsy and you didn't even know it.

IHall
8th October 2013, 12:31 AM
I would never have guessed anyone from here would have such old clubs, too embarrassed to sell them on here???

Johnny Canuck
8th October 2013, 12:36 AM
I think he got them off Gumtree originally. Much easier with no shipping.

simmsy
8th October 2013, 01:20 AM
Yep from GT originally.

Haha. Funny stuff.

benno_r
8th October 2013, 03:00 AM
I'd be hesitant to touch them. Berylium dust is quite carcenogenic....

Shane788
8th October 2013, 07:57 AM
Yeah I agree with benno, not good stuff.

hocko
8th October 2013, 09:30 AM
I would never have guessed anyone from here would have such old clubs, too embarrassed to sell them on here???

Old man Simms has owned them since new

simmsy
8th October 2013, 10:08 AM
Put them in a bucket of coke is all you need to do.

golf2013
8th October 2013, 10:12 AM
Put them in a bucket of coke is all you need to do.
Coke is the best thing ever for be cus

IHall
8th October 2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys, will give it a try

simmsy
8th October 2013, 10:55 AM
Cover them completely leave them over night. Use full strength coke. None of this namby-pamby new age yuppy shit.

They will be back to how they looked on day1.

benno_r
8th October 2013, 10:57 AM
Don't drink the coke when you are done. Unless you like Bundy and Coke. BeCu and Coke will probably taste even better...

razaar
8th October 2013, 02:16 PM
These heads are tarnished when new and are intended to darken with age. The new BeCu club comes with a sticker on the grip which says - This tarnished PING head is made from heat treated Beryllium Copper. This material, used in the aerospace industry, darkens with age.

Personally, I would leave as is in their natural patina.

androooo
8th October 2013, 06:31 PM
These heads are tarnished when new and are intended to darken with age. The new BeCu club comes with a sticker on the grip which says - This tarnished PING head is made from heat treated Beryllium Copper. This material, used in the aerospace industry, darkens with age.

Personally, I would leave as is in their natural patina.

Agree completely.

Polishing BeCu heads should be a crime... up there with polishing old Ping MgBronze putters.

Timbo
8th October 2013, 08:31 PM
I also think you should leave them alone. My set is a beautiful chocolate brown. The polished sets you see on eBay just don't look right.

Oldplayer
9th October 2013, 08:32 PM
I have a st and agree with the last two posts. Keep the natural patina on them. If you soak them in coke they will only start to tarnish again and look patchy and in between new classic. In my experience original sets with the full patina are more sort after and fetch a better price when sold.