PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever left a golf course because poor conditioning?

hocko
6th October 2013, 11:03 AM
Considering leaving my club due to having shit greens for a year. The green keeper killed the bent on the greens after misreading the chemical instruction for spraying for winter grass. We have some, albeit very little, new growth and the winter grass has returned. The directors of the course have done nothing to resolve the issue. They just say "we need some good weather and they will come back". Absolute embarrassment and a disgrace.
Anyone left their club for similar reasons?

mrbluu
6th October 2013, 11:13 AM
I haven't, but poor conditions especially greens would definitely make me leave. Good greens can make up for shit bunkers, or patchy fairways etc.

sms316
6th October 2013, 11:26 AM
I have. You don't owe them any loyalty. When all is done and dusted you are a customer and they need to provide a service comparable to the cost you outlay.

hocko
6th October 2013, 11:38 AM
I have. You don't owe them any loyalty. When all is done and dusted you are a customer and they need to provide a service comparable to the cost you outlay.

$3300 worth of loyalty.

Dangals
6th October 2013, 11:58 AM
I did - not only was the condition of the course deteriorating they had the nerve to increase our rates by a good $250 as well!

hocko
6th October 2013, 12:07 PM
It appears that ours have increased also

simmsy
6th October 2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah I lefty Harty due to conditions worsening.
For the money they charge at your track Hocko the course should be the best conditioned course in Perth. It currently wouldn't be in the top10.

Where's RF rate in price for yearly subs?
I would think its in the top 2 or 3.

simmsy
6th October 2013, 12:37 PM
RF - 3300
MGGC - 2280
Gosn - 2260
ML - 2500
RP - 2600

It's a friggin rip off compared to other clubs around.

goughy
6th October 2013, 12:44 PM
For those fees I'd want my course to look like Augusta! If the greens really are that shit then pull up anchor. For those fees they should be putting in a monster effort to fix it. Remember, this is spose to be fun, and if every time you go there you just wish you were somewhere else, then there's your answer.

hocko
6th October 2013, 12:47 PM
RF - 3300
MGGC - 2280
Gosn - 2260
ML - 2500
RP - 2600

I think Cott, Yokine and Lolly are dearer but I'm not sure

Johnny Canuck
6th October 2013, 12:49 PM
When do the mass renovations start due to Leach Hwy?

Johnny Canuck
6th October 2013, 12:50 PM
I think Cott, Yokine and Lolly are dearer but I'm not sure

I thought Lolly and Yokine were less than RF.

hocko
6th October 2013, 01:03 PM
When do the mass renovations start due to Leach Hwy?

Not sure but it's public money so RF will get sweet fanny adams out of it.
At least with Melville it is developers money so they can negotiate.

hocko
6th October 2013, 01:04 PM
I thought Lolly and Yokine were less than RF.

Like I said, I'm not sure.

simmsy
6th October 2013, 01:26 PM
RF - 3300
MGGC - 2280
Gosn - 2260
ML - 2500
RP - 2600

Pretty sure ML is $2500 Hocko.

That's off their website.
Bergsey i think has said Yokine is $2700.

hocko
6th October 2013, 02:02 PM
So that makes Cott the dearest and then RF?
I'm being ripped off!

Johnny Canuck
6th October 2013, 02:14 PM
Yep

simmsy
6th October 2013, 02:15 PM
You are.
That price for rf when compared to others in Perth is a bit rich.

It's a solid course but nothing outstanding.

3300 or 2600
I know which one my beer and betting account would prefer me to use.

hocko
6th October 2013, 02:16 PM
Back to MGGC it is then

Johnny Canuck
6th October 2013, 02:18 PM
I hear they are looking for a pro am sponsor.

hocko
6th October 2013, 02:21 PM
I don't think I'll have anything to do with the club this time.
Just golf

simmsy
6th October 2013, 02:23 PM
And paying me the money I win from you.

Johnny Canuck
6th October 2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think I'll have anything to do with the club this time.
Just golf

Best way to be!

hocko
6th October 2013, 02:48 PM
And paying me the money I win from you.

Dreaming young fella!

TourFit
6th October 2013, 06:49 PM
My subs at Lolly are about 2600 and then 300 for bar levy. That's for Restricted Ordinary member NOT full member!

Hocko...what about Kwinana?

idgolfguy
6th October 2013, 06:54 PM
What about the pool, gym...?

hocko
6th October 2013, 07:09 PM
My subs at Lolly are about 2600 and then 300 for bar levy. That's for Restricted Ordinary member NOT full member!

Hocko...what about Kwinana?

Not my socioeconomic group John ;)

Shadesy
6th October 2013, 08:18 PM
Can't see myself getting back to 5 there John ;)

EFA

golf2013
6th October 2013, 08:22 PM
I left mu club of 12 years because of crap greens this year.

ozbrother
7th October 2013, 09:55 PM
I left Riverlands in Sydney about 10 years ago due to poor conditioning and layout. With 2 young kids back then, was just looking for a reasonably cheap club and way to get an AGU.
I guess you get what you pay for because it was very ordinary.
Sheep grazing on it these days.

markTHEblake
7th October 2013, 10:23 PM
Anyone left their club for similar reasons?

No, stay at the club and make a difference!

p.s. if its not a members owned club you cant, so you might as well leave.

LeftyHoges
8th October 2013, 10:29 AM
I would if there was anywhere else to go!

Captain Nemo
8th October 2013, 10:48 AM
Very nearly did at the start of this year as over summer our course fairways where in disgraceful condition as all our dams ran dry and we where forced to pay exorbitant amounts for town water.
in fact i didnt play for 5-6 weeks because of it.
The greens where fine as thats where the water went to.
I stuck it out as they came good and have now sourced water from other avenues and the course has a good chance of moving in the near future.

live4golf
8th October 2013, 02:41 PM
I saw the title and thought you meant it was too tough to walk around :)

mrbluu
8th October 2013, 02:54 PM
I saw the title and thought you meant it was too tough to walk around :)

I was thinking this too when I first read the heading.

3oneday
9th October 2013, 07:14 AM
Sounds like you are all getting screwed over, I have difficulty paying $1500 a year at Cumberland. I'd be gone in a month if they killed their greens, not 12.

Who runs the club, proper management or a bunch of old retired "experts"?

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 10:37 AM
Sounds like you are all getting screwed over, I have difficulty paying $1500 a year at Cumberland. I'd be gone in a month if they killed their greens, not 12.

Who runs the club, proper management or a bunch of old retired "experts"?

I thought you were at windsor??

3oneday
9th October 2013, 11:42 AM
Was. Cumberland 10 mins from home, thought I'd try it.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 11:45 AM
Was. Cumberland 10 mins from home, thought I'd try it.

No worries, you have to organise a game there for us soon... ;-)

3oneday
9th October 2013, 11:48 AM
Not sure, after playing there Sunday just gone and experiencing the groups behind version of "ready golf", one of my mates was ready to clock some bloke . I'm half expecting a call from some old codger for a please explain :lol:

Hit up past us once whilst we were waiting for a green to clear, old duck in their group twice called fore, to players in her own group! downright ****ing ignorant.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 11:49 AM
Not sure, after playing there Sunday just gone and experiencing the groups behind version of "ready golf", one of my mates was ready to clock some bloke . I'm half expecting a call from some old codger for a please explain :lol:

Hit up past us once whilst we were waiting for a green to clear, old duck in their group twice called fore, to players in her own group! downright ****ing ignorant.

sounds fun....

Humphrey
12th October 2013, 04:06 PM
Was hit up on twice today at Stonecutters, would have had a go at them except they are mates. Still, it's not really good golf etiquette is it.

qbnchopper
12th October 2013, 05:19 PM
I'll tell you what hocko - they ****en idiots if they core the green now - after 6 months of shite, they were pretty good today .... if it was 6 mins drive from home (RF) id be asking to come to mel gldes too

hocko
12th October 2013, 06:22 PM
I'll tell you what hocko - they ****en idiots if they core the green now - after 6 months of shite, they were pretty good today .... if it was 6 mins drive from home (RF) id be asking to come to mel gldes too

The amount of winter gases in those damn greens is rediculous

Hatchman
12th October 2013, 07:04 PM
I would if there was anywhere else to go!

How far are you from Port Fairy?

When I was looking to play again I never considered going back to my old home course because it has gone backwards so much and was $150 more a year.

If I had to pay some of the fees mentioned in these threads I couldn't afford to join anywhere or play competitively.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2013, 12:43 AM
How far are you from Port Fairy?

When I was looking to play again I never considered going back to my old home course because it has gone backwards so much and was $150 more a year.

If I had to pay some of the fees mentioned in these threads I couldn't afford to join anywhere or play competitively.

50 minutes door to door basically. If I was going to go anywhere it would be back there. Was a member there between 2008-2010 (club champ in '09) after a "dispute" with my first club. Was great as at the time I fell into a "intermediate" category membership for ages 18-25 and was only paying $200 for membership. Suited me perfectly for the 10 games I was playing per year at that time. Enjoyed playing pennant for them too.

qbnchopper
13th October 2013, 05:29 PM
that'd be the winter grass we got rid of .... but they still rolled ok

hocko
13th October 2013, 05:38 PM
Not compared to the previous 4 courses I've played.
Cott, LK, Gozzies and Hartfield

Hatchman
13th October 2013, 05:50 PM
What's your $ fees at Portland v $ fees at Port Fairy?

50min isn't that far and even better if you can get another mate for car pooling to make the move as well.

GPT
9th December 2013, 08:29 PM
Stuck it out at Riverside Oaks until 2 years ago when I'd had enough.

LeftyHoges
9th December 2013, 09:17 PM
What's your $ fees at Portland v $ fees at Port Fairy?

50min isn't that far and even better if you can get another mate for car pooling to make the move as well.

$695 for membership at Portland vs either $480 for normal or $420ish for country member (not sure if I'd qualify).

I don't have any mates though... :-(

EDIT: Sorry, $530 for normal (this has gone up quite a bit, and yet is still the best value golf around), or $435 for Country which I do definitely fall into.

dc68
9th December 2013, 11:52 PM
Get Courty to move... Then you'd have someone to beat every week too.

LeftyHoges
10th December 2013, 09:54 AM
Get Courty to move... Then you'd have someone to beat every week too.

:lol:

He wouldn't know how to play in 6° and 40 km/h winds. He'd be double digits quicker than Zigwah's brother drinks a slab of Jack.

Courty
10th December 2013, 10:01 PM
:lol:He wouldn't know how to play in 6° and 40 km/h winds. He'd be double digits quicker than Zigwah's brother drinks a slab of Jack. Damn straight. Who'd be stoopid enough to live on that climate, anyhow? :p

Coldtopper
20th December 2013, 01:01 PM
Poor conditioning of the course comes down to poor strategic direction given to the Superintendent by the committee in many cases. Or that the Super has no idea either way you shouldnt have to put up with this crap. If the course has no maintenance plan available to its members then leave. Sure there may be a exceptions to this. I find it amazing in the technology era of today that these businesses (golf clubs with multimillion dollar asset under control) can’t produce a communications plans, maintenance plans and the whole strategic frameworks that business the size of golf clubs require to be sustainable in todays environment. It’s not going to get better it is generally the start of what is to follow. Yes you can just call me rags!!!

3oneday
20th December 2013, 01:07 PM
A committee of retired ex businessmen don't necessarily know how to run a golf course though :)

Lagerlover
20th December 2013, 01:11 PM
Not conditioning, but I did leave once because of split ends... that and I ran out of golf balls

LeftyHoges
20th December 2013, 03:47 PM
Not conditioning, but I did leave once because of split ends... that and I ran out of golf balls

Boycott Shampoo...! Demand REAL poo!

Lagerlover
20th December 2013, 03:58 PM
Then wash it out with a golden shower?

You Victorians and your water restrictions...

Coldtopper
20th December 2013, 07:46 PM
A committee of retired ex businessmen don't necessarily know how to run a golf course though :) I agree many have no idea. Dont find this to be a issue at rural courses as much!