PDA

View Full Version : Ideal ball spin with your driver

hocko
3rd October 2013, 08:37 AM
I heard that the guys in the Taylomade tour van are recommending ball spin with your driver should be 1700rpm?
Mine is double that.....I would like to know what everyone's spin numbers are and what rate they would recommend to be optimum.

sms316
3rd October 2013, 08:50 AM
Too many variables Hockwah.

Ball speed / launch angle dictate what spin is optimum.

TheNuclearOne
3rd October 2013, 09:42 AM
Yeah ball speed decides ideal launch and spin parameters. The whole 1700/17 thing is very contentious. It resides around the higher a high speed ball players can hit it with very low spin the more distance they'll get. It's a continuation of the high launch low spin jargon. 1700/17 is almost impossible and needs a crazy upward AoA among other things.

Here's an example of the importance of AoA

Watson - Clubhead Speed - 126mph Angle of Attack +5* Launch Angle - 13* Spin - 2000 rpm

Howell III - Clubhead Speed - 120mph Angle of Attack -5* Launch Angle - 7* Spin - 3000 rpm

Watson used 8.5* loft to get his best numbers, HIII had to go to 12* loft to get his best numbers.

With 6mph CS difference Bubba should be about 17 yds longer than Charlie but due to his -5 A of A and having to use a 12* loft driver to get to his best launch numbers for -5 AoA, CH 3 was over 30 yds shorter than Watson.

Until Charlie decided to work on shallowing out his AoA, he was at a sizable disadvantage on the tee box.

hocko
3rd October 2013, 10:00 AM
Forgot to mention launch angle at 15*

simmsy
3rd October 2013, 10:14 AM
Hocko seriously spend $50 at wembley.
U will learn everything on Trackman.

It was money well spent for me

razaar
3rd October 2013, 10:17 AM
Mine when tested last year was 2460, clubhead speed 94, launch 13*, smash factor 1.49. But I'm old and hanging on by the finger nails, just happy to be in the fairway in the short stuff.

hocko
3rd October 2013, 10:17 AM
I went to GB at Booragoon the other day and used the same driver head with 4 different shafts.
Started out with 4200rpm spin then with the best suited shaft i got it down to 3200rpm.

hocko
3rd October 2013, 10:20 AM
Mine when tested last year was 2460, clubhead speed 94, launch 13*, smash factor 1.49. But I'm old and hanging on by the finger nails, just happy to be in the fairway in the short stuff.
Fairways are nice.
We get a fair bit of wind at our club so sometimes the ball falls out of the sky?
My numbers are 117mph swing speed, launch at 15*, spin at 3200rpm and smash factor of 1.59....185mph ball speed.

Pieface
3rd October 2013, 10:32 AM
sf of 1.59...?? Non conforming driver Hocko?

Go to Wembley you numpty :)

matty
3rd October 2013, 10:34 AM
Don't you reckon we can get too caught up on numbers at our level? You work like a busted changing your swing, angle of attack, to reduce spin and scrounge out and extra 5 or 10m. Hitting fairways with driver (or anything) is worth much more than length.

mrbluu
3rd October 2013, 10:44 AM
Don't you reckon we can get too caught up on numbers at our level? You work like a busted changing your swing, angle of attack, to reduce spin and scrounge out and extra 5 or 10m. Hitting fairways with driver (or anything) is worth much more than length.

In think it's worth it for u mate cos everyone that's ever played with you (no homo) feels that u need an extra couple of metres :D

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 10:59 AM
I went to GB at Booragoon the other day and used the same driver head with 4 different shafts.Started out with 4200rpm spin then with the best suited shaft i got it down to 3200rpm.Another vote for Wembley trackman. GB Booragoon had me hitting 204 yard 7 irons two weeks ago.

matty
3rd October 2013, 11:15 AM
In think it's worth it for u mate cos everyone that's ever played with you (no homo) feels that u need an extra couple of metres :D

I just want to grow up big and strong like you.

Back to trackman data, Jono had me hitting down with the driver on his trackman. He got me to hit up on one and the numbers were very different, in a good way. But it felt ordinary to swing properly :mrgreen:

simmsy
3rd October 2013, 11:16 AM
Yep don't trust any numbers at gb.
I told u last week I can go there and hit 260m baby draws all day with a open dvr.
I've never hit a draw intentionally in my life.

Hocko for all the money u spend on gear get yourself up to wembley today. You will get all the info you need. Take all your shafts. They will have a few to try as well in ur RF.

Can't recommend this enough.

Ashes
3rd October 2013, 11:29 AM
Hocko, have you thought about going up to Wembley?

rubin
3rd October 2013, 11:30 AM
Yep don't trust any numbers at gb.
I told u last week I can go there and hit 260m baby draws all day with a open dvr.
I've never hit a draw intentionally in my life.

Hocko for all the money u spend on gear get yourself up to wembley today. You will get all the info you need. Take all your shafts. They will have a few to try as well in ur RF.

Can't recommend this enough.

OMS has been making a bit of sense recently.

Everytime i've used the monitors at GB stores, i have been striping it, with a perfect little baby draw, and 30 or 40m longer than what is normal, with a 2 or 3 metre dispersion.

Like canuck, when I hit a 6 iron around 200m - i know theres something wrong.

TheNuclearOne
3rd October 2013, 11:32 AM
Fairways are nice.
We get a fair bit of wind at our club so sometimes the ball falls out of the sky?
My numbers are 117mph swing speed, launch at 15*, spin at 3200rpm and smash factor of 1.59....185mph ball speed.

You can safely throw all those figures in the bin lol

3oneday
3rd October 2013, 12:00 PM
You blokes play off 20 and hit "baby draws" on demand???

Go to Wembley apparently Hocko :)

hocko
3rd October 2013, 12:04 PM
Thank you all for your insights.
BTW, why is a 1.59 smash factor so unbelievable?

TheNuclearOne
3rd October 2013, 12:05 PM
Because it's impossible would be a good start lol

rubin
3rd October 2013, 12:12 PM
You blokes play off 20 and hit "baby draws" on demand???

Go to Wembley apparently Hocko :)

if we played as well as what the Golfbox launch monitors shows - everyone in WA would be on the PGA tour and leading things like driving distance and accuracy lists etc.

hocko
3rd October 2013, 12:17 PM
Because it's impossible would be a good start lol
How is it impossible?
The smash factor gauge goes up to 1.7

rubin
3rd October 2013, 12:19 PM
How is it impossible?
The smash factor gauge goes up to 1.7

its not impossible - but if its a conforming driver, it can't be greater than 1.50. if its greater than that - it's non conforming

3oneday
3rd October 2013, 12:21 PM
if we played as well as what the Golfbox launch monitors shows - everyone in WA would be on the PGA tour and leading things like driving distance and accuracy lists etc.makes you wonder whether these things can be misconfigured for better results. I thought only cynics like me thought that though :)

TheNuclearOne
3rd October 2013, 12:28 PM
its not impossible - but if its a conforming driver, it can't be greater than 1.50. if its greater than that - it's non conforming

Also excepting the odd rare toe hit mildly exceeding it due to calibration thingies.

TheNuclearOne
3rd October 2013, 12:31 PM
makes you wonder whether these things can be misconfigured for better results. I thought only cynics like me thought that though :)

Of course they can, and are. 30mph downwinds, concrete fairways etc lmao

Pieface
3rd October 2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like South's capitan is a good chance for DQ due to non-conforming equipment at the Cu*t!

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 12:44 PM
Looks like South's capitan is a good chance for DQ due to non-conforming equipment at the Cu*t! His drives will be so far ahead of everyone, no one will be able to catch him to tell him.

markTHEblake
3rd October 2013, 12:53 PM
1.5 is the Max supposedly theoritical. Most won't get it above 1.49

I think Hocko had a mental typo, if not the boys on the LM would have had a fit.

rubin
3rd October 2013, 01:08 PM
1.5 is the Max supposedly theoritical. Most won't get it above 1.49

I think Hocko had a mental typo, if not the boys on the LM would have had a fit.

Doubt it - the guys at golfbox would probably have no idea what the smash factor is meant to be, and even if they did - they wouldn't give a shit.

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 01:15 PM
Doubt it - the guys at golfbox would probably have no idea what the smash factor is meant to be, and even if they did - they wouldn't give a shit. One of the top pros in the city is working out of there, as is a trainee pro that I know. Both know about double what you think you know. Jake is pretty switched on as well.

Pieface
3rd October 2013, 01:29 PM
So why do they juice their launchy up JC?

rubin
3rd October 2013, 01:35 PM
One of the top pros in the city is working out of there, as is a trainee pro that I know. Both know about double what you think you know. Jake is pretty switched on as well.

i think my love for golfbox has been well documented in the past - and have therefor avoided them completely.

Maybe they do have new blokes in there - doesn't mean they will actually care any more than the old blokes do. It is (in my opinion) a poor business culture there.

but anyway - back to Hocko's posts - get up to wembley. not only will trackman etc help out, you can also relay what trackman is telling you, with what you can visibly see the ball doing on the range.

Ashes
3rd October 2013, 01:46 PM
Can they help out with this sort of thing at Wembley?

Shadesy
3rd October 2013, 01:53 PM
Is there anywhere in Perth that you could go to get Trackman numbers?

hocko
3rd October 2013, 01:56 PM
One of the top pros in the city is working out of there, as is a trainee pro that I know. Both know about double what you think you know. Jake is pretty switched on as well.

I agree, Chris coaches a lot of people out of there.
Jake knows his shit too but I have never been on the monitor with those guys present.

hocko
3rd October 2013, 01:56 PM
I agree, Chris coaches a lot of people out of there.
Jake knows his shit too but I have never been on the monitor with those guys present.

Craig not Chris

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 01:57 PM
So why do they juice their launchy up JC? Industry standard. When one shop does it, the others have to keep pace, otherwise people will buy from the shop that shows an extra 20m.

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 01:59 PM
Hocko, were they measuring a different type of "smash factor"?

hocko
3rd October 2013, 02:08 PM
Hocko, were they measuring a different type of "smash factor"?

Dunno ;)
They put me on a different screen so I could see the angle of attack.
One thing I will say is the first 4 shots I hit the SF meter didn't register.
When it finally picked it up it was reading between 1.52 and 1.59.

Daves
3rd October 2013, 02:12 PM
Dunno ;)
They put me on a different screen so I could see the angle of attack.
One thing I will say is the first 4 shots I hit the SF meter didn't register.
When it finally picked it up it was reading between 1.52 and 1.59.

Is there such a thing?? Smash Factor is ball speed /swing speed, I would assume it just a calculation on most Swing Radars.

TourFit
3rd October 2013, 04:16 PM
His drives will be so far ahead of everyone, no one will be able to catch him to tell him.

If the wind picks up no one will catch him either...from blow everyone away to him being blown away.

TourFit
3rd October 2013, 04:19 PM
I think I've forgotten about 3 times what Rubin knows...

rubin
3rd October 2013, 04:39 PM
I think I've forgotten about 3 times what Rubin knows...

i'll help you out then 'Fit...

when building a club, a pretty key ingredient in the process is glue.

Make sure you use it.

simmsy
3rd October 2013, 05:55 PM
Haha.
Watty has a story

qbnchopper
3rd October 2013, 08:34 PM
Hocko, with the exception of 6 - you were smashing it just fine man !

G.K
3rd October 2013, 09:38 PM
Rumour has it that Wembley is the place to go for trackman, or so I've been told.

Would there really be any benefit for a chopper such as myself to go and get some readings? Keeping in mind that my swing is not necessarily what you would call repeatable. Never been fitted for a club in my life and I'm currently using an eBay sourced 12* 910 D2 with 'ilima reg that has been butt trimmed about an inch. Over the past few weeks I've started feeling more comfortable off the tee and hitting more fairways. Is getting some readings just going to screw with my head and encourage more swing thoughts? Should I just keep plugging away with what I'm using?

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2013, 09:43 PM
I'd say do it once you have time and funds to commit to new gear and improving your game. At this stage, you're probably more than fine with what you have.

G.K
3rd October 2013, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm......time? Check, funds? Check, natural ability? Distinctly lacking. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get on the driver/shaft merry-go-round.

Shane788
3rd October 2013, 10:00 PM
Hmmmm......time? Check, funds? Check, natural ability? Distinctly lacking. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get on the driver/shaft merry-HO-round.

Just fixed that up.

tim_golfer2
4th October 2013, 10:33 PM
My figures from Callaway Performance Centre with Razr Fit 9.5 & whiteboard 63g stiff were
Head speed: 98
Ball speed: 143
Attack angle: 1.8
Path angle: 2.1
Smash factor: 1.45
Launch angle: 13.5
Back spin: 2286
Side spin: 162
Carry yards: 225
Total yards: 250
Total dispersion: 3 yards (I wish)

Lots of numbers to muddle my thoughts.

Actually pretty similar figures to my Burner 07 driver but the Razr was newer and shinier!

androooo
4th October 2013, 10:47 PM
I tested mine today with both of my drivers.

R11 with Fubuki alpha... playing at 8.5* 44.5"
122mph
181.5mph ball speed
11.2* launch
1970 rpm

Razr Fit TA with Fubuki Tour playing 8.5* 44.5"
121mph
180mph ball speed
12.7 launch
2140 rpm

Happy with the numbers.

No idea about distances.... don't care. Get the numbers correct, and it sorts it's self out