PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Suggestions

990B Luva
28th September 2013, 11:03 PM
I'm looking at reshafting my 9.5° 975J as a backup driver for the VR Tour, and I'm stuck as to what shaft I should use. Specs of the VR Tour are - 9.5°, Diamani Ilima 73X, no tipping. My swing speed is 115mph. I'm looking for a more penetrating ballflight, and to minimise my miss. My ballflight is quite high, spin rate is around the 2700rpm mark, Launch angle is 11.5-12°. Miss is a snap hook. I'd ideally like something fairly heavy, I'm just unsure of what to look at to obtain the desired results. Any ideas?

Daves
29th September 2013, 08:30 AM
Have you tried a Whiteboard (Ahina) version of your current shaft? One of the lower launch shaft options you will find.

http://mitsubishirayongolf.com/product.php?cmd=ndia_ahina&lang=en

Other options that come to mind are a Graphite Design AD BB, a Nunchuk, and perhaps a Proforce VTS (Silver?) or a 75g V2. The Matrix Black Tie is supposed to be low launch, but the 70 gram version (7M3) is more mid launch to me. The 6M3 launches lower they tell me, but might be a bit light for your "active" hands.

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 10:20 AM
Never tried a Whiteboard/Ahina Dave. I do think that a lighter shaft tends to get away from me too easy. I'd be interested to see what a Nunchuk is like to be honest.

JADO75
29th September 2013, 11:05 AM
The Illima is a higher launching shaft with a pretty active tip that I think plays a bit soft so i'm not surprised you hit a high ball & with your high swingspeed you can miss big left.
Try to hit someone's chuk before you buy one, you'll either love it or hate. Genuine Ahina, Diamana D+ or Proforce V2 in the 70's sound like they could be the go but without seeing or knowing you it's a bit of a guess brotha. 76gram V2 would probably be the cheapest option, pretty sure Virge could sort you out

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 12:00 PM
I've missed up to about 65m left. When things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way. I'm not afraid to spend the money on a decent shaft if it works. The VR was playing up that bad yesterday I pulled 3 wood and ended up just using it. When I was approaching from 2 fairways left, it's a little bit wild.

TheNuclearOne
29th September 2013, 12:41 PM
To play the friendly devils advocate - is reshafting a 312cc driver from 2001 definitely what you want to do? I'm not one to say someone has to play the very latest and greatest, but that's going bacl a looooooong way and things have certainly changed since that time per the Big Dog. This baby is gonna bend sideways so much easier than the more modern driver and it's going to be very harsh on misses. It's also a bore thru which complicates things that bit more for reshafting.

Would i be right in reading you play a 66 gram shaft in your 3 wood? That's surprisingly light for a player of your power, especially when you are looking for heavier (very likely rightly so) in a driver.

Shaft wide there's already been some good mentions. The 76g V2 isn't quite as low as some but would be good on the budget for an experiment. You can ge them new from the States for $80 odd U.S. landed. The WB83 would be another ripper and some of the heavier more tip stiff RIP's might be worth a look.

As an example either of the below would be awesome value for an experiment, but i haven't used the seller personally but remember he posted the odd thing on WRX and seems legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-80X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346298296?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a856825b8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-70X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346297428?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a85682254

88 grams in the 80 might be getting a bit wild for weight in a driver. The 70 is 77 grams, both low torque.

Badzyy
29th September 2013, 12:47 PM
Really good shaft for the money, I'm using the non-tour version and it's great.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AS0024

markTHEblake
29th September 2013, 12:58 PM
I've missed up to about 65m left. When things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way. . Then why are you looking to spend money on a backup driver. You should be investing in your #1.Nunchuk is taylor made for you, it will not go left.

Johnny Canuck
29th September 2013, 01:07 PM
To play the friendly devils advocate - is reshafting a 312cc driver from 2001 definitely what you want to do? I'm not one to say someone has to play the very latest and greatest, but that's going bacl a looooooong way and things have certainly changed since that time per the Big Dog. This baby is gonna bend sideways so much easier than the more modern driver and it's going to be very harsh on misses. It's also a bore thru which complicates things that bit more for reshafting. Would i be right in reading you play a 66 gram shaft in your 3 wood? That's surprisingly light for a player of your power, especially when you are looking for heavier (very likely rightly so) in a driver. Shaft wide there's already been some good mentions. The 76g V2 isn't quite as low as some but would be good on the budget for an experiment. You can ge them new from the States for $80 odd U.S. landed. The WB83 would be another ripper and some of the heavier more tip stiff RIP's might be worth a look. As an example either of the below would be awesome value for an experiment, but i haven't used the seller personally but remember he posted the odd thing on WRX and seems legit.http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-80X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346298296?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a856825b8http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-70X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346297428?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a8568225488 grams in the 80 might be getting a bit wild for weight in a driver. The 70 is 77 grams, both low torque. I have a mint 975j in the garage. Love it. My favourite driver ever. However, it can't compare to what is on offer today. I still hit it once in a while for fun, but that is it. No point investing cash into it.

TheNuclearOne
29th September 2013, 01:16 PM
I have a mint 975j in the garage. Love it. My favourite driver ever. However, it can't compare to what is on offer today. I still hit it once in a while for fun, but that is it. No point investing cash into it.

Exactly JC.

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 02:10 PM
To play the friendly devils advocate - is reshafting a 312cc driver from 2001 definitely what you want to do? I'm not one to say someone has to play the very latest and greatest, but that's going bacl a looooooong way and things have certainly changed since that time per the Big Dog. This baby is gonna bend sideways so much easier than the more modern driver and it's going to be very harsh on misses. It's also a bore thru which complicates things that bit more for reshafting. Would i be right in reading you play a 66 gram shaft in your 3 wood? That's surprisingly light for a player of your power, especially when you are looking for heavier (very likely rightly so) in a driver. Shaft wide there's already been some good mentions. The 76g V2 isn't quite as low as some but would be good on the budget for an experiment. You can ge them new from the States for $80 odd U.S. landed. The WB83 would be another ripper and some of the heavier more tip stiff RIP's might be worth a look. As an example either of the below would be awesome value for an experiment, but i haven't used the seller personally but remember he posted the odd thing on WRX and seems legit.http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-80X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346298296?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a856825b8http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOUR-ISSUE-ALDILA-RIP-ALPHA-70X-UNCUT-SHAFT-/251346297428?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item3a8568225488 grams in the 80 might be getting a bit wild for weight in a driver. The 70 is 77 grams, both low torque.Given how much I actually use driver, and the way I hit my 3 wood of a similar age, the fact that the 975J isn't the latest technology, and isn't as good as what I could have, doesn't bother me. My ball striking is pretty consistent and I much prefer smaller clubheads. Yes I do play a 66g shaft in my 3 wood, which has been in the club for the better part of 8 years. The only reason I haven't changed it is because it's a combo that has always worked for me. Why change a formula that works, especially when I hit the 200Tour 275m, as I did yesterday to find fairways when I sprayed driver. Mark - I'm keen to try a Nunchuk if I can get my hands on a club with one fitted. Just don't want to jump into buying a Chuk when there are so many inconsistent reviews of it.

TheNuclearOne
29th September 2013, 02:21 PM
Fair enough. If you can stripe a 66 gram shaft in your 3 wood consistently (which you obviously do) then you probably don't have to go too crazy with shaft weight in the driver.

Also you have a more stiffer tipped shaft in the 3 wood than you do driver which is the opposite of what is the standard so popular thinking tells us it would be very worthwhile throwing a stiffer tipped shaft in the VR. The old Prolite 35 is a nice cheap underrated shaft, nice profile.

I'd be very inclined to try the likes of an Ahina 70x or RIP Alpha 70x in the big VR.

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 02:51 PM
I was thinking mid 70g shafts, so the Ahina 70X and RIP Alpha 70X fall in the area. As much as the Ilima changed the VR for the better, I don't think it's the right shaft for me, and I'm also looking at reshafting the VR. The Prolite 35 just works for me. It was originally stuck in there after I snapped a Purple Ice that I couldn't hit for the life of me, and transformed the club. For a shaft I had laying around, it's done the job well.

TheNuclearOne
29th September 2013, 03:14 PM
I was thinking mid 70g shafts, so the Ahina 70X and RIP Alpha 70X fall in the area. As much as the Ilima changed the VR for the better, I don't think it's the right shaft for me, and I'm also looking at reshafting the VR. The Prolite 35 just works for me. It was originally stuck in there after I snapped a Purple Ice that I couldn't hit for the life of me, and transformed the club. For a shaft I had laying around, it's done the job well.

Mid 70 sounds good. At your SS it would be quite rare to fit a softer tip higher spinning shaft like the Ilima. The profiles on the Ahina and RIP Alpha are hugely different.

The Prolite35 was big time back when it came out and was very popular on tour. You can pick them up cheap too, if needed.

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 03:20 PM
Awesome. I might hunt around and see if there is a Ahina 70X or RIP Alpha 70X around I can trial. If not, I'll do what I did with the Ilima and jump in and buy one.

TheNuclearOne
29th September 2013, 04:14 PM
Good stuff. I look forward to seeing how everything pans out.

Daves
29th September 2013, 04:54 PM
I have a RH Titleist 909 D2 10.5* ex fitting cart head (can swap shafts like 910/913 etc) and a few shafts to fit it that might suit you. A Nunchuk, a Prolaunch Red, a Fubuki Tour X Flex (63 grams though), plus a couple of others (See my WITB thread). I did have a 76g V2 for it as well, but I think Shavey has it now. I also have a spare adaptor tip or two for it, so can do up another comparison shaft in need. You are welcome to borrow it/them if you want to trial a few.

I agree re comments about the 975 being well out teched now, though it is obviously handy as you already have it. Something like a 905S would be a better option if you want to play around with a classic.

PS. If you can borrow a Titleist 910/913 Head, or a Cally Razr Fit/Extreme Head from somewhere, I also have a number of shafts you can try.

fastdog
29th September 2013, 05:31 PM
My ballflight is quite high, spin rate is around the 2700rpm mark, Launch angle is 11.5-12°

Those are great numbers, almost optimal for your SS. Is there any particular reason why you want to bring your launch down?

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm happy with my launch numbers, I just want to lower peak flight, and bring in some more control over the ball.

990B Luva
29th September 2013, 06:19 PM
Dave - thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

markTHEblake
29th September 2013, 07:03 PM
Mark - I'm keen to try a Nunchuk if I can get my hands on a club with one fitted. Just don't want to jump into buying a Chuk when there are so many inconsistent reviews of it.

Dont blame you, I didnt buy one until I tried it, only took two hits to convince me, and the 2nd was only to check that I was not dreaming.

Cross out all the reviews that say they fitted it longer than 44" or they don't even mention the length, they are morons and should be ignored.
Now you will likely notice that there are no more inconsistent reviews.

Emerald Lakes, Friday nights 8.00pm to 9.00pm. Free Nunchuk testing, Driver, 3w, Hybrid, and 4-W