PDA

View Full Version : Scoring low/maintaining score

8081travis
21st September 2013, 03:58 PM
Guys any advice on scoring low/maintaining our score? I generally only score 37/38 (handicap 8) and keep plugging away chipping off the handicap. I can never smash a round and go really low although often in a good position especially playing stableford (e.g today 33 points with 3 holes to play and ended up 34 points and had two shots for final 2 holes). Any mental tips would be great, or techniques you may use?

8081travis
21st September 2013, 04:00 PM
that should say handicap 8 not a smiley face!

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 04:59 PM
Just play mate and it will come. Work on any weakness that you may have.

Take the positives out of today's round and try to figure what you can learn from the finish to try to not let it happen again.

Most importantly just relax and the good scores will come.

Good luck mate.

AndyP
21st September 2013, 06:47 PM
Do you have to score low? I'm an 8 marker and I'm just happy to be consistent. To score low, you need birdies, which requires either a hot putter or great iron play or both.

8081travis
21st September 2013, 06:51 PM
Cheers Ben.
Andy I know I'm usually happy with that but last three rounds I've had 5 birdies each round. Just looking at a way if I'm running that hot to finish the job

AndyP
21st September 2013, 07:31 PM
Maybe work on the mental game. I'm a fan of the Dr Bob Rotella books.

Your game is good enough to get yourself in position to score low, so you need to be confident that it can continue to for the rest of the round.

virge666
21st September 2013, 07:36 PM
It technique mate.

There is a big jump to get down to 3 and 4 and there is another big jump down to 1 and 2.

It is all just a matter of making the misses less bad and having a shortgame to keep the momentum going.

As a comparison - I play of 1 and have 2 or 3 birds a round, so your 5 birdies is not the answer.

popper81
21st September 2013, 07:51 PM
It technique mate.

There is a big jump to get down to 3 and 4 and there is another big jump down to 1 and 2.

It is all just a matter of making the misses less bad and having a shortgame to keep the momentum going.

As a comparison - I play of 1 and have 2 or 3 birds a round, so your 5 birdies is not the answer.

Virge is right... Massive step up.

You need to decide what type of golfer you want to be ( blazer/grinder/ safety first/ risk taker) & always back yourself with your chosen path.

I have shot square plenty of times where I made HEAPS of silly mistakes, but played sensational.... Think 5 birdies, 5 bogeys and only 8 pars. And had a ball.

The last two times I have shot under, it has been 17 pars & 1 birdie....that tells me the golf I should play is not FUN golf.

Courty
21st September 2013, 08:50 PM
5 birdies a round! :shock:

Sounds like you're making too many bogies or worse. Limit the blowouts. Don't follow one poor shot with another.

Outcast
21st September 2013, 09:27 PM
My low rounds are usually what is described as boring golf... hit fairways, hit greens, make lots of pars & a couple of birdies... Usually, I don't even realise I'm having a good round (i.e.: low 70s)

When I'm making lots of birdies, I'm usually making lots of bogeys or worse...

Remain patient, remain 'in the moment' & don't think about your score.. the moment you think score... you are screwed

8081travis
21st September 2013, 10:52 PM
Cheers boys.

@Virge when you say technique specifically swing repeatability? hitting fairways/greens?

I got from 12hc to 6hc in the first half off the year by playing 3 times a week. When rugby season kicked in blew out to 8. Is there a notion practice/play to improve?

@popper I have tried to change my game the last few weeks to a grinder rather than a blazer. Aiming to hit fairways with driver rather than hit the cover off it, sacrificing good metres by hitting fairways and I agree with a dedicated game plan off how you want to approach it, sure to reap benefits

virge666
21st September 2013, 11:05 PM
Cheers boys.

@Virge when you say technique specifically swing repeatability? hitting fairways/greens?

No - it is a technique thing. If you want to play off low figure you need a great technique - it is that simple. Otherwise all you are doing is timing your swing through practice.

It is easy to see the difference. The timer is the bloke that shoots, 75, 74, 82, 87, 75, 81, 70. Wild swings in scores show you are just relying on timing.

A better player will have a couple of double bogeys a month and shoot over 80 twice a year.

There is no secret - just hard work, a good coach with a plan and practice.

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 11:08 PM
Cheers boys.

I got from 12hc to 6hc in the first half off the year by playing 3 times a week. When rugby season kicked in blew out to 8. Is there a notion practice/play to improve?

@popper I have tried to change my game the last few weeks to a grinder rather than a blazer. Aiming to hit fairways with driver rather than hit the cover off it, sacrificing good metres by hitting fairways and I agree with a dedicated game plan off how you want to approach it, sure to reap benefits

What Virge is say is (Virge please correct me if I'm wrong), if you have the right technique your best scores may not be any better but our bad scores wouldn't be as bad. Timing will become less of an issue with swing and you will be more consistent.

I practiced a little bit between Sept to Nov last year, then played 25 games in December and January then my handicap dropped from 7.5 to 3.9. In the next 22 games over the next 6months I got anchored. Obviously my technique didn't improved during this period, it was I played so much that my timing was good.

GuyIncognito
21st September 2013, 11:08 PM
as above.

and yeh to echo not focusing on making so many birdies, just fk up less basically.

virge666
21st September 2013, 11:10 PM
What Virge is say is (Virge please correct me if I'm wrong), if you have the right technique your best scores may not be any better but our bad scores wouldn't be as bad. Timing will become less of an issue with swing and you will be more consistent.

I practiced a little bit between Sept to Nov last year, then played 25 games in December and January then my handicap dropped from 7.5 to 3.9. In the next 22 games over the next 6months I got anchored. Obviously my technique didn't improved during this period, it was I played so much that my timing was good.

Exactly. Anyone can get better with repetition.

It just doesn't hang around for long.

androooo
21st September 2013, 11:44 PM
It does get easier the more times you get yourself into that position. I know when I was younger, I'd start thinking when I got to 3-4 under after 9... Only to blow it and shoot par.

I still happens occasionally now... It's a natural tendency. Going back a couple of years ago, I shot my lowest ever round. Silly thing was I was +2 after 4. I then birdied 5, holed a wedge on 6 for eagle, birdied 8 and holed a chip on 9 for eagle. Turned -4. Cool, not bad after an ordinary start.

Birdied 10, 12, 14... ok... -7... Been there before. This is fun.

Knocked it on a 290m par 4 and drained it for eagle. -9 and 3 eagles in the round. "Wow never done this before... and crap, I've never been -9" (BRAIN FREEZE)

17.... after thinking about the score. Pull into the boonies, and end up making a good bogie.

Get on the 18th tee, Par 5... (SLAPS MYSELF) "WTF are you doing?.... JUST HIT SHOTS". Bomb a tee shot and hit the 2nd pure just through the back of the green. Holed the pitch for eagle, 4th of the day, and shoot 62, -10.

After that round, everything now seems easier. I've had a few -8's since then, and I can honestly say, my heartrate didn't even increase... It's just another round. It's a matter of breaking that barrier... You have to get yourself out of that comfort zone. The more times it happens, the more you are prepared for it.

Everyone, even the best in the world, blow a round now and then. There's no need to be scared :)

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 11:49 PM
It does get easier the more times you get yourself into that position. I know when I was younger, I'd start thinking when I got to 3-4 under after 9... Only to blow it and shoot par.

I still happens occasionally now... It's a natural tendency. Going back a couple of years ago, I shot my lowest ever round. Silly thing was I was +2 after 4. I then birdied 5, holed a wedge on 6 for eagle, birdied 8 and holed a chip on 9 for eagle. Turned -4. Cool, not bad after an ordinary start.

Birdied 10, 12, 14... ok... -7... Been there before. This is fun.

Knocked it on a 290m par 4 and drained it for eagle. -9 and 3 eagles in the round. "Wow never done this before... and crap, I've never been -9" (BRAIN FREEZE)

17.... after thinking about the score. Pull into the boonies, and end up making a good bogie.

Get on the 18th tee, Par 5... (SLAPS MYSELF) "WTF are you doing?.... JUST HIT SHOTS". Bomb a tee shot and hit the 2nd pure just through the back of the green. Holed the pitch for eagle, 4th of the day, and shoot 62, -10.

After that round, everything now seems easier. I've had a few -8's since then, and I can honestly say, my heartrate didn't even increase... It's just another round. It's a matter of breaking that barrier... You have to get yourself out of that comfort zone. The more times it happens, the more you are prepared for it.

Everyone, even the best in the world, blow a round now and then. There's no need to be scared :)

Most guys are thinking this but I will write it, congrats on shooting 10 under and well played, but a the same time FU ;-), we can't even dream of being that low!!!....hahahaha

matty
21st September 2013, 11:52 PM
I shot 8 under about a year ago.

Then turned the xbox off and went to bed.

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 11:55 PM

:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt038:smt038:smt038

androooo
21st September 2013, 11:59 PM

I do ok on Links 2003 on PC... But absolutely suck on the PS, XBOX and WII

matty
22nd September 2013, 09:06 AM
The timer is the bloke that shoots, 75, 74, 82, 87, 75, 81, 70. Wild swings in scores show you are just relying on timing.

Hello, my name is Matty and I'm a timer :cry:

liptout
22nd September 2013, 09:20 AM

Hahaha, welcome to my world!! ;)

Outcast
22nd September 2013, 02:37 PM

Yep, me too....

oncewasagolfer
22nd September 2013, 02:54 PM
And me:)

Dotty
22nd September 2013, 03:26 PM
Hello, my name is Dotty and I'm an old timer. :)

ps. What Virge says is right. I have no problem playing 1-3 over for nine holes (either going out or coming home), by avoiding the crap. But unsound technique means that the slightest stuff-up is not readily recovered from, then I find myself in a position, where I can't knock the third to gimme range and 'hello double bogey'.

markTHEblake
22nd September 2013, 03:40 PM
It is easy to see the difference. The timer is the bloke that shoots, 75, 74, 82, 87, 75, 81, 70. Wild swings in scores show you are just relying on timing.

bastard! Just what i needed to know when I am having a good run

What Androoo says is on the money too, once you start congratulating yourself for your final score and practicing your winners speech before the round has finished, you will most likely crash and burn. Its Ok to focus on an achievable target but don't assume it.

mrbluu
22nd September 2013, 03:58 PM
Hello, my name is Dotty and I'm an old timer. :)ps. What Virge says is right. I have no problem playing 1-3 over for nine holes (either going out or coming home), by avoiding the crap. But unsound technique means that the slightest stuff-up is not readily recovered from, then I find myself in a position, where I can't knock the third to gimme range and 'hello double bogey'. You should only play a course with 180m par 3's, u will be off 3 or 4!!!

8081travis
22nd September 2013, 04:41 PM
Any of the Sydney boys recommend a good coach in the eastern suburbs area?

Waddzy
23rd September 2013, 11:51 AM
I must be a timer , but only seem to time it once a month or so ...

virge666
23rd September 2013, 12:18 PM
The guys at St Micks have a pretty good reputation.

virge666
23rd September 2013, 12:28 PM
And just for the other lads, you have to work out in your head just how stupidly hard this game is.

You are going to have somewhere around 80 shots over 4.5 hours, and you are playing off 6, you are only allowed 6 bad shots out of those 80.

Sure you can sometimes scramble - but lets say you get half of them up and down ! That means you have 9 out of 80 shots that have to be half decent.

It is a really hard game !

Bruce
23rd September 2013, 01:47 PM
I just wish I could drop off the one or two train wrecks that happen on my card between 14 and 18 each round. I have done it very consistently lately to ensure I shoot more than 10 over for the round.

Courty
23rd September 2013, 03:02 PM
I just wish I could drop off the one or two train wrecks that happen on my card between 14 and 18 each round. I have done it very consistently lately to ensure I shoot more than 10 over for the round. Could be to do with fatigue? Try eating a banana after 9 holes?

Waddzy
23rd September 2013, 03:12 PM
Could be to do with fatigue? Try eating a banana after 9 holes?

Best advice I ever received , I noticed my rounds going to S**t after 9 holes until I realised I needed to eat. used to shoot scores like 40/54.. now I manage to keep it fairly even.

Monsta
23rd September 2013, 03:17 PM
I just wish I could drop off the one or two train wrecks that happen on my card between 14 and 18 each round. I have done it very consistently lately to ensure I shoot more than 10 over for the round.

Could be to do with fatigue? Try eating a banana after 9 holes?

Im in the same boat Bruce,

Do really well for the 1st 12-13 holes then it comes undone after that.

Courty, I usually have a ham and cheese roll at 9 with a drink, but it doesnt seem to help. Have been considering changing my sports drink at half way with a wild turkey to see if that helps :mrgreen:

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2013, 03:19 PM
Im in the same boat Bruce,

Do really well for the 1st 12-13 holes then it comes undone after that.

Courty, I usually have a ham and cheese roll at 9 with a drink, but it doesnt seem to help. Have been considering changing my sports drink at half way with a wild turkey to see if that helps :mrgreen:

Ouzo? I know a guy...

Monsta
23rd September 2013, 03:21 PM
Ouzo? I know a guy...

Isnt it a bit hard to putt when laying down?????

KristianJ
23rd September 2013, 03:22 PM
Isnt it a bit hard to putt when laying down????? Reading the break is a breeze though.

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2013, 03:31 PM
Reading the break is a breeze though.

Get a good feel for the grain too.

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 03:59 PM

Bruce just worry about the good holes and when you are in trouble play a little bit more conservatively. If you are actually playing well, you will have a good chance of make par after chipping out and worse case scenario you will make bogey. Not sure what handicap you play off, but a couple of bogies don't really ruin a round for most ppl, however a double 2 will definitely F*&K you up!!!

Also the other thing, if you are stuffing up the same holes, have you consider playing them differently?? ie I had a mate who struggled on the 12th a Cabra. He has never played off anything higher than 5 in the 14years I've know him so he can play. The 12th is a long par 3 (185m), bunker guarding the front, the left hand side slopes away into a hazard. If you hit it pin high right, there is a mould to go over and its impossible to stop it next to the pin. The good miss is short right. He said every time he played that hole he would snap hook into the hazard, so he decided to lay up short with an 8iron then get up and down from there. He made no worse than a bogey and was make enough pars there to get his confidence back.

YOu might be able to do something similar with the holes you struggle on.

Most importantly remember if you are only stuffing up on a few holes, then you are playing well!!!

Waddzy
23rd September 2013, 04:22 PM
I totally agree with Bluu ,I don't actually score well myself but after lefty gave me a spreadsheet to track my scores on my track each week I found my blow ups were on the same 3-4 holes each week ( I would double/triple).. I then headed out and played them multiple times in different ways and now they've become my strength holes(birdie/par/ rarely ever bogey) May work for you.. or you may be blowing up on different holes. But definitely worth keeping track of some scores and seeing if there is any repetition ..

8081travis
23rd September 2013, 04:34 PM
Waddzy what stats were kept in your spreadsheet?

Waddzy
23rd September 2013, 04:48 PM
Just scores , But I also kept track of how I played it after a while, and if I make a bogey I was putting a note about why.. I.e a lot of my shots were lost on the tee, either unplayable 2nd shots or in hazards .. etc started hitting irons off certain tee's and laying up on holes.. and my scores dropped instantly . It was more to notice if I had some real weak holes, which I really did and what was worse is they were rated as some of the easier holes on the course. I made a plan on how to play those holes and tried them out until I worked out a way I felt confident playing it everytime. Nothing worse than getting to the tee and your only thought is remembering how you hit it in the tree's to the right 9/10 times..

GuyIncognito
23rd September 2013, 04:49 PM
I did this with my rounds at Bexley, one hole stood out, our index 3, par 4, 300m with water all down the right. My stock play would be driver to leave a SW in, and I averaged almost 5.4 on the hole over 20 odd rounds that I kept track. switched it up to hitting 5i off the tee to leave 7-8i in, I'm averaging 4.3 since...

I didn't keep stats like fairway/GIR/putts etc, though I probably should have...

tim_golfer2
23rd September 2013, 06:51 PM
The guys at St Micks have a pretty good reputation.

Yep. Both John Serhan & Robbie Curtis are great teachers and very nice guys.

Double D
23rd September 2013, 07:13 PM
Don't feel bad about being a timer, Luke Donald is one too!

Yep, me too....

virge666
23rd September 2013, 09:05 PM
Don't feel bad about being a timer, Luke Donald is one too!

He SO isn't...

Sensational technique in all forms of the game

matty
23rd September 2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah, Donald looks anything but a timer.

Awesome swing.

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, Donald looks anything but a timer.

Awesome swing.

No, he is a self proclaimed flipper.....

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/9/11/4716970/tiger-woods-sean-foley-luke-donald-2013-fedex-cup

virge666
23rd September 2013, 09:46 PM
No, he is a self proclaimed flipper.....

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/9/11/4716970/tiger-woods-sean-foley-luke-donald-2013-fedex-cup

There is levels of flip...

A lot of flip for a former #1 is a lot different to a 10 marker from the inner west.

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 09:49 PM
There is levels of flip...A lot of flip for a former #1 is a lot different to a 10 marker from the inner west. Lucky I'm a hack from the South West then ;-)

Double D
23rd September 2013, 10:37 PM
Flipper/timer he is compared to players of his level, hence why he is trying to get rid of it. Likely the reason he has struggled in majors and the same reason 10 handicapper struggles when 5 over with 3 to play? Makes sense to me anyway.

virge666
23rd September 2013, 11:18 PM
Lucky I'm a hack from the South West then ;-)

Sorry mate - wasn't meant to be a dig.

virge666
23rd September 2013, 11:25 PM
Flipper/timer he is compared to players of his level, hence why he is trying to get rid of it. Likely the reason he has struggled in majors and the same reason 10 handicapper struggles when 5 over with 3 to play? Makes sense to me anyway.

He isn't a timer as his upper body is going forward through impact - that really is the big difference.

When you flip - the clubhead closes very rapidly. When you rotate your left wrist through impact, the clubhead closes much more slowly - hence the lack of timing required to hit a decent shot. Also when you flip your upper body goes backwards which just ruins the chances to hit a decent shot with a descending blow.

Add them together and golf just gets real hard.

Donald just has a little bit of right hand working underneath through impact - it isn't really what we would call a flip where the left wrist breaks down and the arm stops. It would have been nice to see what Foley could do with him...

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 11:49 PM
Sorry mate - wasn't meant to be a dig. All good mate

Bruce
24th September 2013, 08:59 AM
I am conscious of my blood sugar. I am the guy with the packet of snakes handing them out to playing partners throughout the round and I had a banana at the turn on Saturday. It didn't help me on 17 :(

I'm playing OK, but feeling a bit plateaued when I can see a clear chance to drop a couple of shots a round. The burden of a shifting expectation I guess. Those 2-4 shots are the difference between me and shooting 70-somethings instead of 80-somethings, which would be nice.

matty
24th September 2013, 09:15 AM
Mrbluu is not from the inner west though.

virge666
24th September 2013, 12:10 PM
Mrbluu is not from the inner west though.

Bluu doesnt flip any more..

:)

Fixed that.

mrbluu
24th September 2013, 12:23 PM

Fixed that.

:smt023:smt023

matty
24th September 2013, 12:24 PM
Mrbluu told me about his swing change and the Foley take on the swing. Really interested me as it sounds like what I want to do naturally as opposed learning positions not natural to me.

live4golf
24th September 2013, 12:32 PM

Fixed that.

I've not had a chance to test out what you told me as yet...hopefully Friday. Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head, now I need to get over the fact it will feel awkward

Shortylook
24th September 2013, 03:18 PM
I've only gone under 90 once. Rest of scores are 92,94 96 with the odd century thrown in for good measure. It's really starting to shit me.i keep leaching shots on chips and drives. I gotta try and get it sorted before the WA Champs, or I'll be getting the NAGA every time.

Dotty
24th September 2013, 03:23 PM
I've only gone under 90 once. Rest of scores are 92,94 96 with the odd century thrown in for good measure. It's really starting to shit me.i keep leaching shots on chips and drives. I gotta try and get it sorted before the WA Champs, or I'll be getting the NAGA every time.
Don't worry. They already have Solarman's name engraved on this year's NAGA trophy.

And next year's too.

Waddzy
24th September 2013, 03:27 PM
Don't worry. They already have Solarman's name engraved on this year's NAGA trophy.

And next year's too.
I'm amazed at how he can win NAGA at all the champs venues he doesn't attend.. there must be some skill to be seen.

Dotty
24th September 2013, 03:32 PM
I'm amazed at how he can win NAGA at all the champs venues he doesn't attend.. there must be some skill to be seen.
We don't discriminate against people that live in remote areas, and allow him to compete via correspondence.

Haysey and Courty package the 'highlights' on video and put it on Youtube for us.

virge666
24th September 2013, 04:09 PM
Mrbluu told me about his swing change and the Foley take on the swing. Really interested me as it sounds like what I want to do naturally as opposed learning positions not natural to me.

It is not actually Foley.

I got the idea off Loren Roberts frigging donkeys ago. But every time I tell someone - they look at me and just say that they are not doing it. Manzella did a version of it in the early noughties too.

I credit the method with most of my golfing ability - you just have to have the patience to understand why, and that takes a while.

Maybe the 2am lesson at champs this year...

matty
24th September 2013, 04:42 PM
Sounds good. Anything like Gary Edwin stuff?

Courty
24th September 2013, 04:59 PM
Haysey and Courty package the 'highlights' on video and put it on Youtube for us.

That reminds me, I have a few more that haven't been uploaded yet. Just got to get around to doing it... 8)

virge666
24th September 2013, 05:15 PM
Sounds good. Anything like Gary Edwin stuff?

To be honest - i find most swing patterns pretty much the same. In fact the more I study - the more I get to thinking this. They just focus on different things and reckon that that is the most important part of the pattern. The other thing i notice is that a lot of methods have different starting points. Some start with hands - some start with posture - others with grip.

They all seem to have the same sort of arm motion through impact ... albeit with slightly different body angles. And depending on what the body is doing and where it is - depends on what you focus on.

I know people will scream blue murder that so and so method is miles better than jimbo's method that is revolutionary 40 yards longer than Bill's method - but really - it is a crock of shit. i reckon it all comes down the the teacher and the trust of the student has in the teacher.

Personally - I am doing a lot of work on balance and getting some hand speed up before impact... and after that it is a tonne of chipping and pitching and distance drills.

Once you realise that there is not straight lines in the golf swing - the rest makes more sense.

virge666
24th September 2013, 05:15 PM
That reminds me, I have a few more that haven't been uploaded yet. Just got to get around to doing it... 8)

Get to posting !!!

Double D
24th September 2013, 07:57 PM
I think you are right Virge the good Edwin players get back to similar positions at impact, which are similar to all successful players.

markTHEblake
24th September 2013, 08:13 PM
I got the idea off Loren Roberts frigging donkeys ago. But every time I tell someone - they look at me and just say that they are not doing it. Manzella did a version of it in the early noughties too. Would you mind giving a one paragraph synopsis now, I can't stay up until 2am.