PDA

View Full Version : TaylorMade to release non conforming golf clubs?

Mububban
20th September 2013, 10:36 AM
A very interesting rumour, that TMAG is considering thumbing its nose at the USGA and releasing a line of non-conforiming golf clubs for the casual non-club, non-comp hacker (either through TMAG or more likely another company they own). I for one think it's a great idea.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-non-conforming-illegal-clubs/

Before you form your opinion (assuming you haven’t done so already), I’d like you to take a moment to consider a few things.

If you’re reading this, you are not the average golfer. The average golfer, at least in terms of the raw numbers, doesn’t spend his time in golf forums reading rumors like this one.

If you play by the letter of the USGA’s rulebook, always keep score, and compete in tournaments, you are not the average golfer either.

The real average golfers, and in fact the majority of golfers are the weekend duffers; the recreational crowd. They play by their own rules. They keep score loosely, if at all. They don’t play in tournaments, or even for money. They believe the foot wedge is the unsung hero of the golf bag (they might be right), and I can assure you they don’t give a damn what the USGA thinks about any of it.

For them, golf is simply about having a good time (crazy, right?), and in that context, there’s absolutely no practical reason why those guys should be limited by the USGA’s authoritarian approach to the golf equipment industry.

...the closest parallel I can find to golf is competitive cycling.

As with golf, the UCI (cycling’s governing body) has rules that cover every aspect of the sport, including equipment. There are bikes that are deemed competition-legal and bikes that are not. The difference between golf and cycling is that if I just want something to ride around the neighborhood, my choices aren’t limited to UCI legal bikes.

I’m free to buy a non-conforming bike from any number of reputable, top-tier companies, and nobody is going to accuse me of cheating anyone or anything.

How is that any different from a recreational golfer who plays non-conforming clubs?

To anyone who says "well then, you're cheating OR you're not really playing 'real' golf", I'd wager that Average Joe mentioned above isn't playing 'real' golf anyway! I'd like to join a club one day and play comps, so my gear needs to conform, but currently the random hackers like myself that I play with at public courses often are exactly like the above description. They're out there to have fun playing something akin to golf, not obsess over the rules and infractions. They're still out there getting exercise and having fun, and providing revenue for golf courses. And if non-conforming clubs help them enjoy themselves more, thus potentially making them spend more time and money at various courses playing "almost" golf, and they never have an unfair advantage because they never play in comps - is that a bad thing?

I say no. What say you?

bdoug10
20th September 2013, 11:56 AM
Only problem I can see is people playing in comps and most people wouldn't even know if it conformed or not

Dotty
20th September 2013, 12:03 PM
That's like doing laps of the pool with flippers on.

Or tenpin bowling at a kid's birthday party, with bumpers in the gutters.

Monsta
20th September 2013, 12:12 PM
Whats next?????? AFL with a round ball?

Not sure about anyone else, but when I play a sport I use the correct equipment (even in social play). If your going to play, play properly or dont play at all. Its not that hard.....

rubin
20th September 2013, 12:15 PM
If u don't play the game using the correct equipment, or following the rules, the. Your not playing golf.

markTHEblake
20th September 2013, 12:28 PM
Lots of manufacturers do this, it is nothing new and no big deal.

PeteyD
20th September 2013, 12:49 PM
Masses of non conforming drivers in Japan.

3Puttpete
20th September 2013, 12:50 PM
Whats next?????? AFL with a round ball?

Not sure about anyone else, but when I play a sport I use the correct equipment (even in social play). If your going to play, play properly or dont play at all. Its not that hard.....

Never played cricket with an automatic keeper?

Monsta
20th September 2013, 12:56 PM
Never played cricket with an automatic keeper?

Never played cricket, stoopid game :mrgreen:

Hatchman
20th September 2013, 01:14 PM
Problem with non conforming clubs is a lot of people wouldn't have a clue just by looking at it.

It would be sad for new people getting into the game competitively (comp) be told by someone at the club they've just paid to join "sorry mate your clubs aren't legal you cant't play for handicap or comp until you buy new ones" Very sour taste having to fork out another few hundred/thousands for new kit.

When I walked away from the game for 6 years I had no idea my ERC II had joined the banned list and was using it when I took it up again. I just happened to buy a R11s for the sake of having something new 2 weeks before I re-joined a club to play competitively again. I would have been a bit put off if I was using my ERC II and was told it was illegal.

What I also don't understand is how can non-conforming clubs make the game more enjoyable? Current equipment is fairly forgiving compared to 20yrs ago.

Monsta
20th September 2013, 01:20 PM
Well said Hatch

Mububban
20th September 2013, 01:40 PM
That's like doing laps of the pool with flippers on.
Or tenpin bowling at a kid's birthday party, with bumpers in the gutters.

In this case, the kids with bumpers are the weekend hackers shooting 110+ who don't care about clubs or handicaps, they'd just like it to be more fun. Where's the harm in that?

If your going to play, play properly or dont play at all.

What would that do to the revenue of most golf courses around the world if that was the case?

The real average golfers, and in fact the majority of golfers are the weekend duffers; the recreational crowd. They play by their own rules. They keep score loosely, if at all. They don’t play in tournaments, or even for money. They believe the foot wedge is the unsung hero of the golf bag (they might be right), and I can assure you they don’t give a damn what the USGA thinks about any of it.

For them, golf is simply about having a good time (crazy, right?), and in that context, there’s absolutely no practical reason why those guys should be limited by the USGA’s authoritarian approach to the golf equipment industry.

If u don't play the game using the correct equipment, or following the rules, the. Your not playing golf.

As the article says, the guys who would buy this gear aren't doing this anyway, even with conforming clubs. The "correct" gear doesn't mean squat if you're using the foot wedge or taking free drops etc.

And if a player is the dodgy sort who tries to sneak a currently non-conforming golf club into a comp situation, they're already a cheat so this won't change a thing. If anything, having a new brand of clubs might make it EASIER to spot a non-conforming club in someone's bag.

Mububban
20th September 2013, 01:41 PM
It would be sad for new people getting into the game competitively (comp) be told by someone at the club they've just paid to join "sorry mate your clubs aren't legal you cant't play for handicap or comp until you buy new ones" Very sour taste having to fork out another few hundred/thousands for new kit.

That is a problem. I'm sure there'd be lots of retail salesmen who would not make customers aware of this possibility. They'd sell them the non-conforming gear as it's what suits them best but wouldn't say boo about what'd happen if they join a club one day.

What I also don't understand is how can non-conforming clubs make the game more enjoyable? Current equipment is fairly forgiving compared to 20yrs ago.

True, my dad's 1980 cast clubs are obviously very different to my modern clubs for ease of use, but then we don't know what we don't know, do we? :mrgreen: Modern GI and SGI clubs are very forgiving, but imagine how much more forgiving they could be with no design restrictions on them? They might look like the Starship Enterprise on a stick and most serious golfers wouldn't go anywhere near them, but the guy who only gets out there a few times a year probably would snap them up once he saw how easy they were to use.

3oneday
20th September 2013, 01:43 PM
Like most things, whilst most "golfers" would claim to be able to tell the difference, I would imagine a blind test would prove otherwise.

Monsta
20th September 2013, 01:47 PM
Most pro shops have clubs to hire, if you play once in a blue moon, hire clubs (simple solution)

If you are going to play on a semi regular basis, buy a cheap second hand set (that conforms with the rules). Why spend money on something that doesnt meet a "standard" when if you get hooked will not be any good to you to play comp with????? And why offer this alternative to the public anyway?

benno_r
20th September 2013, 02:05 PM
And why offer this alternative to the public anyway?

Mo money , mo money!

mrbluu
20th September 2013, 02:05 PM
Like MTB said, no big deal, companies have been doing it for years.

Dotty
20th September 2013, 02:17 PM
It sounds like TMAG are trying to recoup their losses, re. a couple of containers of clubs from sweatshops with poor quality control.

I can't see how illegal clubs can be any more forgiving than a Ping G20 driver, a set Callaway Big Bertha irons and a mallet putter. (On second thoughts, possibly a croquet or pool cue putter.)

Johnny Canuck
20th September 2013, 02:48 PM

When did you officially start playing golf, Rubes?

The same people who get upset at this get upset when Joe Public plays a social 9 and takes a mulligan. Who cares? It doesn't affect you. Whatever some need to enjoy the game, let them have it. As long as they are playing in comps, there is no issue.

Dotty
20th September 2013, 02:57 PM
The same people who get upset at this get upset when Joe Public plays a social 9 and takes a mulligan. Who cares? It doesn't affect you. Whatever some need to enjoy the game, let them have it. As long as they are playing in comps, there is no issue.
Mulligans, leather wedges, gimmes, magic pencils and font-changing golf balls are free.

It's the profiteering by big business, esp. as they make themselves out to be the heroes and doing a favour for Joe Public.

Cost and dress codes make it hard enough for Joe Public to transition to Joe Member. Then to be confronted that their $800 set of clubs are unacceptable.

Daves
20th September 2013, 03:00 PM
Plenty of Golfers overseas that have never played on a golf course. Range warriors that are measured by how far they hit it towards the back fence. There has been a market for non conforming clubs for a long time.

IanO
20th September 2013, 03:06 PM
As long as these non-conforming clubs are cheap then Mr Joe Average will buy them. The local public course is amazing on a Friday afternoon or on an Industry RDO day. Every cart has an esky, guys wearing thongs, work boots, overalls, singlets. They are having a great time. Why would they care about conforming vs non-conforming

Johnny Canuck
20th September 2013, 03:09 PM
Mulligans, leather wedges, gimmes, magic pencils and font-changing golf balls are free.

It's the profiteering by big business, esp. as they make themselves out to be the heroes and doing a favour for Joe Public.

Cost and dress codes make it hard enough for Joe Public to transition to Joe Member. Then to be confronted that their $800 set of clubs are unacceptable.

What percentage of golfers are club members? While it might be higher in Australia, in the US it is 7.5%. They also do not have the same weekly comp structure that we have here. These private members are almost exclusively playing socially.

I have a mate who is a member of one of the top private clubs in Ontario. He said they have one comp a year. The odd year, they throw in a match play.

What target market would you choose for your company?

3Puttpete
20th September 2013, 03:17 PM
As long as these non-conforming clubs are cheap then Mr Joe Average will buy them. The local public course is amazing on a Friday afternoon or on an Industry RDO day. Every cart has an esky, guys wearing thongs, work boots, overalls, singlets. They are having a great time. Why would they care about conforming vs non-conforming

These blokes are engaging in the golf equivalent of kicking a footy in the park. Nobody expects them to use an AFL match approved Sherrin to do that.

Dotty
20th September 2013, 03:28 PM
What percentage of golfers are club members? While it might be higher in Australia, in the US it is 7.5%. They also do not have the same weekly comp structure that we have here. These private members are almost exclusively playing socially.

I have a mate who is a member of one of the top private clubs in Ontario. He said they have one comp a year. The odd year, they throw in a match play.

What target market would you choose for your company?
Silly me, as I was only looking in my own backyard. Most clubs in Sydney are looking for members to maintain viability. If the clubs go, then so do the better courses, leaving Joe Public (and club members) with two options - council run goat tracks or $100-a-game private resort courses. (And range ball bashing.)

I suppose they could brand them as Ben Johnson, Lance or Storm, and the punters would know they have an unfair advantage. :)

Johnny Canuck
20th September 2013, 03:44 PM
Silly me, as I was only looking in my own backyard. Most clubs in Sydney are looking for members to maintain viability. If the clubs go, then so do the better courses, leaving Joe Public (and club members) with two options - council run goat tracks or $100-a-game private resort courses. (And range ball bashing.)

I suppose they could brand them as Ben Johnson, Lance or Storm, and the punters would know they have an unfair advantage. :)

I like it. Would the Ben Johnson loft be 9.79*?

virge666
20th September 2013, 03:49 PM
Good on them, play with whatever you like.

As long as I dont have to compete against you with that kit - you can all do what you like.