PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 16th September

Rodent
17th September 2013, 01:54 PM
Finally stopped the rot (7 straight flagless rounds) with 37 points at Carnarvon today. I was the A-grade leader in the clubhouse and it was breezy so I hope it holds up. 2 duffed chips and a flubbed 7 iron were the low points. 1 birdie and nothing worse than a bogey was the highlight.

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 02:56 PM
Finally stopped the rot (7 straight flagless rounds) with 37 points at Carnarvon today. I was the A-grade leader in the clubhouse and it was breezy so I hope it holds up. 2 duffed chips and a flubbed 7 iron were the low points. 1 birdie and nothing worse than a bogey was the highlight.

Well done mate.

Rodent
17th September 2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks Bluu. I just had a look at your G/L record. Your best score in the last 7 months was the Ozgolf day at Kogarah where you beat me on a cb. How stiff was I! :mad:

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks Bluu. I just had a look at your G/L record. Your best score in the last 7 months was the Ozgolf day at Kogarah where you beat me on a cb. How stiff was I! :mad:

What was a one of the sweetest victories of all time :D

jimandr
17th September 2013, 10:15 PM
I made a late decision to play today at Camden Lakeside after analysing the weather forecast and deciding it wouldn't rain. I was right about that, but I didn't know it was Tiger Tuesday, which means the ultra-back tees and difficult pin positions, on wet fairways. I also didn't know the greens had been cored and sanded two weeks before. From those tees the course is too long and hard for me. Accordingly, 32 points was quite a good score with my usual poor putting on slow greens holding me back even further.

I also saw the worst shot I have ever seen from a single figure golfer having a good day. A guy off 8 was even par after 5, then he had such a drop-kick air swing on the 6th tee that the divot knocked the ball off the tee. A genuine 6 inch drive. His mates were ROFL, and so was he, to his credit.

Rodent
18th September 2013, 08:08 AM
Haha, but for a twist of fate, that could have been me Jim (I'm off 8 and have come up with my share of embarrassing shots). I rang up early for a game at Lakeside and the pro told me I'd be lucky to get a game as nobody was there. It worked out well for me in the end.

mrbluu
18th September 2013, 08:36 AM
Rodent, do u normally play Wednesday too?

Rodent
18th September 2013, 01:29 PM
No Bluu, I have played a couple in recent times but usually Wednesday is a no go for me. I could manage an early hit on a Wednesday if I put my mind to it. Cabra has a comp on a Wednesday doesn't it? Last time I played there I could not hit a ball. I'm still scarred.

mrbluu
18th September 2013, 02:21 PM
No Bluu, I have played a couple in recent times but usually Wednesday is a no go for me. I could manage an early hit on a Wednesday if I put my mind to it. Cabra has a comp on a Wednesday doesn't it? Last time I played there I could not hit a ball. I'm still scarred.

Lets aim for an early game on the 2 Oct (Around 7am). I promise to be gentle.....

Rodent
18th September 2013, 05:34 PM
Sorry dude, can't do school holidays but 7am is the right kind of timeslot.

mrbluu
18th September 2013, 05:57 PM
Sorry dude, can't do school holidays but 7am is the right kind of timeslot. No worries, so u would be good for the 9th?

Rodent
18th September 2013, 06:40 PM
16th would be better. I'll need recovery time :lol:

mrbluu
18th September 2013, 07:14 PM
16th would be better. I'll need recovery time :lol:

16th is ok too, but it will be whopper Wednesday so pretty much off the plates.

Rodent
19th September 2013, 06:02 AM
That's ok, the scars couldn't be any worse.

oldracer
19th September 2013, 10:52 AM
Well it's time to put up or shut up, playing some rounds to get a handicap after all these years, bit scarey actually to have someone else scoring the shots, aim is high teens to low 20's at the moment

Waddzy
19th September 2013, 01:16 PM
Well it's time to put up or shut up, playing some rounds to get a handicap after all these years, bit scarey actually to have someone else scoring the shots, aim is high teens to low 20's at the moment

You will love it mate , pay your $10 comp fee and watch your game instantly crumble..;)

oldracer
19th September 2013, 07:07 PM
haha funny, that's what I'm afraid of

Shortylook
19th September 2013, 08:07 PM
35 points today in more rain and wind. Chips cost me 4-5 shots again today. Oh well, there is alway Saturday

Neverstraight
19th September 2013, 08:49 PM
Been in a purple sort of patch of late after nearly tossing the clubs into a Salvo bin with a few very very ugly rounds. Had 36 pts today with 2 wipes n 2 ones in the space of 5 holes. Pulled my crap together and had 21 on the back nine. That's 5 flags in a row and dropped from 18 to 15 in that 5 rounds. So with end of year target hit need to set another one now. 😃

Shortylook
19th September 2013, 10:29 PM
Been in a purple sort of patch of late after nearly tossing the clubs into a Salvo bin with a few very very ugly rounds. Had 36 pts today with 2 wipes n 2 ones in the space of 5 holes. Pulled my crap together and had 21 on the back nine. That's 5 flags in a row and dropped from 18 to 15 in that 5 rounds. So with end of year target hit need to set another one now. 😃
Well done

mrbluu
19th September 2013, 10:31 PM
Been in a purple sort of patch of late after nearly tossing the clubs into a Salvo bin with a few very very ugly rounds. Had 36 pts today with 2 wipes n 2 ones in the space of 5 holes. Pulled my crap together and had 21 on the back nine. That's 5 flags in a row and dropped from 18 to 15 in that 5 rounds. So with end of year target hit need to set another one now. 😃 Good stuff mate...

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 12:57 PM
I'm almost back +4 today at Cabra. Struggled with driver so I hit a 3 woods off the tee and found a lot of fairways. I was striping my irons all day and hit 11 greens, but missed 3 others basically on the edges where I could just putt it. Had 6 x 1 putt greens but had 4 x 3 putts. Today could have been quite easily +7 or +8 if my game was a little sharper.

Looking forward to catching up with the ozgolf boys next week and my club champs.

Positives

11 GIR
2 x birdies
6 x 1 putt greens.

Bad

4 x 3 putts
34 putts overall.
Hit the driver average.

Took the RBZ stage 2 tour 4 hybrid out and set it on 23* and it was a winner. Was able to hit a green from 180m into a club wind. Was also able to hit punch shots low and easy to control.

BenM
21st September 2013, 01:59 PM
29 points.

Out to 11.

Vice MC
21st September 2013, 02:01 PM
71 pts 4bbb agg, birdie putts all day could hve been better

Vice MC
21st September 2013, 02:02 PM
Took the RBZ stage 2 tour 4 hybrid out and set it on 23* and it was a winner.

Love this club.

Dangals
21st September 2013, 02:30 PM
Things are starting to come together it seems - after last weeks round my handicap went from 9 to 8 then shot 36 points today with 2 stupid wipes on the back nine...

The Lajosi was worth its weight in gold today - 28 putts but could have been even better with 4-5 lipping out.

Just need to concentrate for 18 holes and I feel that I can get back to what I was playing earlier in the year.

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 03:06 PM
Love this club.

Have u been borrowing my clubs again ;)

Things are starting to come together it seems - after last weeks round my handicap went from 9 to 8 then shot 36 points today with 2 stupid wipes on the back nine...

The Lajosi was worth its weight in gold today - 28 putts but could have been even better with 4-5 lipping out.

Just need to concentrate for 18 holes and I feel that I can get back to what I was playing earlier in the year.

Good stuff mate.

IanO
21st September 2013, 03:58 PM
1st round in 20 that I have played under my handicap! Shot 84/68 (par 71, acr 72)

It could have been so much better after having 36 putts. Lipped out 6 times.

I felt like my ball striking was much better today and the putting was an anomaly as I have been averaging 31 putts per round

WBennett
21st September 2013, 05:36 PM
Strange, unexciting round today.

43/40 to shoot 83/72 in stroke to be 3rd in A Grade.

Greens were cored a couple of weeks ago and were still rough.

38 putts, 1 chip in.
4 3 putts.
Longest putt I made for the day was a 5 footer for par on 18.

I felt terrible for the first 6 holes, then didn't miss a fairway by more than two foot or a par 3 green after that.

Could have been anything, but won the money off the boys so a good day anyway.

Waddzy
21st September 2013, 06:53 PM
A very structured 44 points today with no wipes , stroke wise it was 79 off the stick which is my first comp round in the 70"s ever so I'm extremely happy .. Plenty of lip outs for birdies but tap in pars are great new scotty putter was fantastic so much control.. Checked golflink and looks like my handicap will be going from 15 straight to 13 for another low!

oncewasagolfer
21st September 2013, 07:27 PM
Well done Ian and waddzy! After having 45pts Tuesday with 24 putts I couldn't make a thing today and didn't drive the ball that well either. Finishing double triple with 3 putts on both holes wasn't too thrilling, 88/78.

peter_rs
21st September 2013, 07:35 PM
30pts in 14 holes then got hit in the butt with a ball from a playing partners 3 wood second to the 5th.

He was in on the right rough at the 200 I was in the left at 110 on the left. Tweaked my lower back... I was happily with the drive.

Golfshot lite no longer works on iOS 7.

popper81
21st September 2013, 07:55 PM
30pts in 14 holes then got hit in the butt with a ball from a playing partners 3 wood second to the 5th.

He was in on the right rough at the 200 I was in the left at 110 on the left. Tweaked my lower back... I was happily with the drive.

Golfshot lite no longer works on iOS 7.

At rosewood?

peter_rs
21st September 2013, 07:58 PM
Nudgee north, 3putt filled your spot at rosewood

3Puttpete
21st September 2013, 08:18 PM
And nearly died too.

My mind has blocked most of it out but to the best of my recollection I was at 45 degrees left 30 or 40 metres away. A well struck fairway wood took a detour off a tree. I was saved by some late in swing. It missed me by centimetres. I almost pooped and had a heart attack at the same time.

Courty
21st September 2013, 08:51 PM
79 with 2 doubles at Mareeba today.

Shortylook
21st September 2013, 09:13 PM
Well done Ian Waddzy and courty
94 again today for me. 3 straight round under a tonne. Game is moving in the right direction

Hatchman
21st September 2013, 10:12 PM
Par comp @ Kapunda

Have I mentioned before how much I hate par comps :smt011.
Some one in the morning had +9. His handicap hasn't moved either, still on 18 after that round :shock:.
Was nice to know that I had to shot 6 under par to beat that before I went out.
Plan was to go 2 under on the front and 4 under on the back. Bit of a fail in the execution of that plan :roll:.
Day was not a total loss thou as I ended up 3 over and +1 :).

Joined an elite club today with very few members in driving the last hole and winning the nearest the pin at the same time. Put it 6 foot away and made the eagle putt. For those that don't know Kapunda is a 9 hole course and 9/18 is 172m par 3 then a 240m par 4 that plays more like 250 due to the slope.
Hit the ball real solid on the front 9 then it got a bit messy on the back off the tee.
Down to 3.7 from 3.9.

Stats
Par 73_ACR 72
Score 76/72 = +1
Effective Drives_10/15 = 66.7%
Greens in Reg_10/18 = 55.6%
Up/Down Par Saves_4/8 = 50%
Putts = 29
1 eagle, 1 birdie and 1 double. No 3 stabs

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 10:40 PM
Par comp @ Kapunda

Some one in the morning had +9. His handicap hasn't moved either, still on 18 after that round :shock:.

Not sure where you are going with this. if he had a +9 replacing a +9 then of course his handicap wouldn't change.

I does suck balls that playing 4 you need to shot 6 under off the stick to beat him. However, you are more than likely to win scratch events than he is!!!

Nice score and particularly the eagle!!!

Hatchman
21st September 2013, 10:53 PM
Not going anywhere with it, just thought it was an interesting observation. Back under the old system you got shredded for scores like that.

Club only has two scratch events a year Club champs and Open.

mrbluu
21st September 2013, 10:58 PM
Not going anywhere with it, just thought it was an interesting observation. Back under the old system you got shredded for scores like that.

Club only has two scratch events a year Club champs and Open.

Fair enough, mate. I thought the old system would punish you for that flash in a pan round which we are all capable of. Our club as a scratch 2BBB every in every comp as well as Scratch in each grade for monthly medal.

Looney
22nd September 2013, 09:23 AM
I had -2 in par but would have been 35 points in a stableford comp. 1 double and 2 birdies.
I hit 12 greens in reg and 10 fairways but just could not make enough putts inside 10 feet.

Looks like there were some great scores had by others well done to those who beat there handicap

Bruce
22nd September 2013, 09:40 AM
13 over at Cape Schanck. Sick of blowing a solid round with 3 shit holes. Hitting the ball pretty good but short game still needs some work as I come out of performance schedule.

GuyIncognito
22nd September 2013, 11:06 AM
Managed 40 points yesterday with a wipe up the first where I get a shot... played the next 17 holes in even par... a little annoying but good to string a couple of ok rounds together...

Down to 6.5 now, have a couple of low scores dropping out soon so need to keep this going.

Hatchman
22nd September 2013, 11:20 AM
Managed 40 points yesterday with a wipe up the first where I get a shot... played the next 17 holes in even par... a little annoying but good to string a couple of ok rounds together...

Down to 6.5 now, have a couple of low scores dropping out soon so need to keep this going.

Good round after the stumble on the 1st. It's now on that if only list.

PerryGroves
22nd September 2013, 12:04 PM
In Queenstown this week, played KelvIn Heights on Friday, shot 6 over with 38 putts. Had a cracking day for it at Jacks Point yesterday. Off to Arrowtown tomorrow.

BenM
22nd September 2013, 12:12 PM
Wow - enjoy PG!

Queenstown is one of my all time favourite places in the world for a relaxing break, and Arrowtown is a quaint little town. Not that there is all that much there except a main street full of shops (but we have explored those a couple of times)!

PerryGroves
22nd September 2013, 12:19 PM
Ben, Q'Town is a great place, I haven't been here for 20 years, it's certainly grown. Staying with a mate up on the hill and typing whilst over looking the lake and mountains, not hard to see why he prefers here to Sydney.

BenM
22nd September 2013, 01:46 PM
Very very nice views over the lake... but even though there are a lot of tourists it still always seems very peaceful and quiet to me, maybe that's also to do with the accommodation we've chosen, but not all of it. I hate crowds and shopping but am always pretty happy to wander round Queenstown.

I highly recommend Hell Pizza (and I'm sure you already know about Ferg Burger, but they are a bit overrated I reckon).

LeftyHoges
22nd September 2013, 02:22 PM
Parred the first 2 holes, then the shit started.

Cold topped my drive on 3 into long grass that managed to just get out the other end to the path between the two areas of long grass. Got a little lucky there. Then proceeded to top the next into the next section of long grass. Lost ball.

Topped the drive off the next, hit long iron into a green side pot, splashed out and 3 jacked for double.

Then hit the green on the 200m par 3 next and 3 jacked that. Square through 2 to 5 over through 5 just like that.

Parred the next 4 to turn 5 over then 3 jacked 10 for bogey. Chipped up to 3 feet on 14 and didn't hit the hole.

Hit it to 12 feet on 16 and 3 jacked that for bogey too. Parred everything else. 30 stableford points.

12 pars
4 bogies
2 double bogies

10/14 Fairways
10/18 GIR
35 frickin putts

Must've topped 7 shots for the day and about 10 half-gutted.

Outcast
22nd September 2013, 03:18 PM
First full round back today...

31 pts... struggled off the tee but, played without pain which is a first for last 3 months...

Still coming to terms with my new swing & fade ball flight... I like it but, too often off the tee I am not turning through the ball & pushing the ball right and into trouble. If I can get this sorted then things will improve. Iron play is good, really good in fact but, difficult to make pars when you are chipping out of deep shite or, taking penalty drops. Putting & chipping is pretty meh but, I expect that after not playing for a month (putting has never been that good anyway really) :-)

Playing some golf with my son later this week, looking forward to that. It's good just to be back playing without pain really.

mike
22nd September 2013, 03:40 PM
79 with 2 doubles at Mareeba today.Well done. I had no idea you were going that well. I think the greens added 3 or 4 to your score.

Courty
22nd September 2013, 03:48 PM
I highly recommend Hell Pizza (and I'm sure you already know about Ferg Burger, but they are a bit overrated I reckon).

Meh. Skip them both and go to The Cow (QT & Wanaka). I'd go all the way back there just for a Bolognese Pizza! :D

Well done. I had no idea you were going that well. I think the greens added 3 or 4 to your score.

Cheers. 3 or 4 might be a stretch. I can only really think of 2 (6 & 11).

mike
22nd September 2013, 03:54 PM
13?

Courty
22nd September 2013, 03:59 PM
13?

Debatable. I didn't deserve par after the tee shot anyhow.

Waddzy
23rd September 2013, 11:56 AM
A very structured 44 points today with no wipes , stroke wise it was 79 off the stick which is my first comp round in the 70"s ever so I'm extremely happy .. Plenty of lip outs for birdies but tap in pars are great new scotty putter was fantastic so much control.. Checked golflink and looks like my handicap will be going from 15 straight to 13 for another low!

Didn't quite make it to 13... 13.6 ah that sucks.. course was rated 70 and I actually shot 78 :oops: still my best score by a long way and happy for the drop of a shot.

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2013, 12:10 PM
79 with 2 doubles at Mareeba today.

Didn't take you long to get that into your signature mate.

Beating me by a stroke hardly lets you off the hook for the 26 over 6 rounds.

But if we go to 7 rounds I guess you're back to 20 behind.

Courty
23rd September 2013, 12:14 PM
Didn't take you long to get that into your signature mate.

Beating me by a stroke hardly lets you off the hook for the 26 over 6 rounds.

But if we go to 7 rounds I guess you're back to 20 behind.

I'll take the small victories where I can get 'em. :)

Besides, everyone knows the truth about my ability (or lack thereof).

matty
23rd September 2013, 03:41 PM
Played Riverside Oaks today socially off the back tees. Turned at 2 over, tripled 10 after hitting OB, finished 8 over. Hit it pretty good really, just a couple of crap shots.

Haven't played there for a good year. The course has come a hell of a long way since being taken over. It's in great nick. Tees, fairways, bunkers were great. Greens okay, a touch slow. Considering I can barely get a comp game at Stonecutters I am thinking of joining somewhere next year. Was tossing up going back to Lynwood. The new management seem to be doing good things with the course. Or join Richmond. Now Riverside Oaks is in the mix. A bit expensive but it's 25min from me and it's almost like a private course.

The clubhouse/bar/bistro and the wildlife add to it as well.

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 03:46 PM
Played Riverside Oaks today socially off the back tees. Turned at 2 over, tripled 10 after hitting OB, finished 8 over. Hit it pretty good really, just a couple of crap shots.

Haven't played there for a good year. The course has come a hell of a long way since being taken over. It's in great nick. Tees, fairways, bunkers were great. Greens okay, a touch slow. Considering I can barely get a comp game at Stonecutters I am thinking of joining somewhere next year. Was tossing up going back to Lynwood. The new management seem to be doing good things with the course. Or join Richmond. Now Riverside Oaks is in the mix. A bit expensive but it's 25min from me and it's almost like a private course.

Well done matty....

KristianJ
23rd September 2013, 03:47 PM
Come to Richmond, Matt. 4 drivable par 4s for you. ;)

I'm keen to check RO out for either a comp or social round...especially now that the front 9 of the 2nd course is apparently open. I haven't been there for a few years but enjoyed it despite the patchy condition back then.

mrbluu
23rd September 2013, 04:01 PM

I'm keen to check RO out for either a comp or social round...especially now that the front 9 of the 2nd course is apparently open. I haven't been there for a few years but enjoyed it despite the patchy condition back then.

Seriously if you are only playing every now and again, join somewhere like Howlong......Glenmore, Richmond and Lynwood pretty much have open comps on Sat's anyway.

KristianJ
23rd September 2013, 04:04 PM
Glenmore are bringing in restrictions when it comes to those types of memberships and their Saturday comps acocording to the last email I got from them before my membership expired. I can't recall if it was a blanket "ban", but they were certainly looking at something. I might still have the email - will dig through my inbox later.

matty
23rd September 2013, 04:12 PM
Riverside have a similar thing to howlong. $150 a year but have to play 3 comps over the year. Basically paying to keep a golflink number.
Membership there is $2100 at the moment. I think there's no joining fee but didn't check that. Another $400 or so for unlimited cart usage. Would have to play once a week there to make it worthwhile. Will consider all middle of next year.

matty
23rd September 2013, 04:14 PM

I'm trying to get out of that mindset KJ!

It's come a long way. If the greens were faster it wouldn't be far off at all how it was back in the day. Never saw it but assume it was nice.
The photos of the second course they have stuck up in the clubhouse look really nice. I might wait until the 18 are done though.

KristianJ
23rd September 2013, 05:37 PM
Found the email...

In a nutshell, Sat comp visitors need to have played 1/2 of their last 20 rounds at their home club. Pretty sure it's just a condition for the Sat comps though and doesn't extend to midweek.

Shortylook
23rd September 2013, 05:55 PM
Didn't quite make it to 13... 13.6 ah that sucks.. course was rated 70 and I actually shot 78 :oops: still my best score by a long way and happy for the drop of a shot.
Well done.

Rodent
25th September 2013, 08:23 AM
deleted