PDA

View Full Version : Blade vs Cavity

8081travis
11th September 2013, 07:09 PM
Just a bit of feedback. Was playing Ap2 for about a yr off 6. Went to blades 712MB and up to 8. Notice the bad swings. Is it worthwhile the long term development to improve the swing or does the forgiveness of cavity serve a bigger purpose. With new Ap2s coming out thinking of going back to ap2s

Ferrins
11th September 2013, 07:20 PM
If all you want is just a bit of feedback then get cavity backs.

mrbluu
11th September 2013, 07:22 PM
Just a bit of feedback. Was playing Ap2 for about a yr off 6. Went to blades 712MB and up to 8. Notice the bad swings. Is it worthwhile the long term development to improve the swing or does the forgiveness of cavity serve a bigger purpose. With new Ap2s coming out thinking of going back to ap2s

I'm a massive fan of ppm using blades if they want to improve their games. Only thing is if they have time to practice and handle the bad results when they miscue.

davepuppies
11th September 2013, 07:23 PM
I bought some 712mbs and have gone back to ap2s.

Unless you are prepared to practice your ass off, and really ( I mean really!) can control the flight of the ball, then blades are not going to offer us much at our level ( I hover between 6 and 9 handicap)

Mbs look cool, but I prefer the reliability of a ap2......

liptout
11th September 2013, 07:26 PM
It's a no brainer really,

Blades look waaaaaaaaay better than cavitys!!

Surely that's what matters the most??

(but what davepuppies said it true as well ;))

rqrox
11th September 2013, 07:33 PM
Blade it up!
They call you names when your hitting like crap and whisper sweet nothings when your striking the ball like a champion.

Courty
11th September 2013, 07:38 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

For some years now I've been playing combo sets (blades/ muscle backs in the short irons & cavities in the long irons). It's the best of both worlds!

Ferrins
11th September 2013, 07:52 PM
You should buy perci's MP4's

simmsy
11th September 2013, 07:58 PM
MP64's for sure

aussieashley
11th September 2013, 08:55 PM
I bought some 712mbs and have gone back to ap2s.Unless you are prepared to practice your ass off, and really ( I mean really!) can control the flight of the ball, then blades are not going to offer us much at our level ( I hover between 6 and 9 handicap)Mbs look cool, but I prefer the reliability of a ap2...... This. I play blades at the moment but will be switching to ap2s for the forgiveness. Especially in the long irons. There is no better feeling than hitting blades sweet, but in reality, a mis-hit blade really costs me shots. The distance loss on mis-hits is too much.

Outcast
11th September 2013, 09:02 PM
I actually play better with blades than I do with cavities... it's a mental thing for me

Oldplayer
11th September 2013, 09:27 PM
Go with cavities. There is no restriction to becoming a better swinger using them and the most forgiveness you can play and still like the look of at address is the way most players should go. From what I read on forums there are plenty of scratch markers who play ping G series irons.
Blades are fun to try but a not a realistic choice in the long term for most club players I believe.

tommyg
11th September 2013, 09:39 PM
Blades arent blades. What i mean is that just because the clicky titleist blades dont suit you doesnt mean a different blade...say mizuno, wont be a revelation for you??? Im biased, but maybe you should grab a cheap set of another make of blades and try that before chucking in the towel.

virge666
11th September 2013, 10:03 PM
The distance loss on mis-hits is too much.

THIS is what kills me with blades, and then you flush one and it just powers through everything.

I do love the muppets playing of double figures telling me that they have more control with blades, and then cant hit 8 or 9 GIR.

The newer balls also make blades a lot harder to play - it just doesn't spin enough so the long irons are so hard to control distance with.

3Puttpete
11th September 2013, 10:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Adw2UgGgv90

Pirelli
11th September 2013, 10:33 PM
Of the top 20 golfers in the world, 5 play blades. That should answer your question.

8081travis
12th September 2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Adw2UgGgv90

workplace will be a bit frosty after that!

8081travis
12th September 2013, 07:52 AM
the feedback seems pretty one sided, now the question is to wait for the 714 or just get the 712

razaar
12th September 2013, 08:26 AM
THIS is what kills me with blades, and then you flush one and it just powers through everything.

I do love the muppets playing of double figures telling me that they have more control with blades, and then cant hit 8 or 9 GIR.

The newer balls also make blades a lot harder to play - it just doesn't spin enough so the long irons are so hard to control distance with.
So true Virge. One of the best ball strikers in Queensland plays with AP 2s (714). He previously played with the CB's. Titleists fitting centre in Melbourne following tests recommended the AP 2's for a higher ball flight with his swing. Blades were not an option for this +5 handicapper.

WeekendHacker
12th September 2013, 08:39 AM
Horses for courses. I have been playing the Miura Tournament Blades I got from perci and have not been hitting it too well lately. I went back to the Nike VR Pro II blades last weekend and hit it great. Both blades, but for me I find the Nikes are great if my swing is a little off. I have one friend playing off a + handicap still using a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons. They look to me like a VW beetle on a stick and I could never ever use a set of irons with such a thick top line and massive offset but to him they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Johnny Canuck
12th September 2013, 09:10 AM
I am just switching back to blades after giving them up for a while. I don't find many, if any shots during a round that I would need the added forgiveness of a cavity back. However, when I use cavity backs, I do find some added forgiveness. Perhaps I just concentrate more with the blades.

Looney
12th September 2013, 09:36 AM
I am just switching back to blades after giving them up for a while. I don't find many, if any shots during a round that I would need the added forgiveness of a cavity back. However, when I use cavity backs, I do find some added forgiveness. Perhaps I just concentrate more with the blades. I have had the same issue went back to some ping ISI irons and have been hitting it like crap, the blades will be back in the bag this weekend, the exercise has seen my handicap drop back from 3.8 to 4.5. I think an average ball striker can still play short iron blades with more cavity focus mid and long irons and get the best of both worlds

hocko
12th September 2013, 09:41 AM
A combo or flow set is the way to go for us mere mortals.

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2013, 09:50 AM
Have just made the switch from blades (mp33) to cavity backs (i20) and even though I know it is the right move I still miss the feeling of a well struck blade. I'm sure my scoring will improve and I will be back on single figures soon enough.

hocko
12th September 2013, 09:52 AM
Owag, I play the i20's too but I think they feel pretty good on good strikes, they are very accurate too.

Badzyy
12th September 2013, 09:59 AM
Would definitely recommend getting a combo of CB 3-6 and MB 7-PW, but it in reality it's still going to come down to the individual and their ability/confidence in their ball striking.

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2013, 10:09 AM
Owag, I play the i20's too but I think they feel pretty good on good strikes, they are very accurate too.

Yes they do feel very good and the results have been pleasing. I have only had them a week and I have hit shots closer to the flag than I have in the last 6 months with the blades.

timah!
12th September 2013, 10:17 AM
If you play golf for fun, use whatever you want...

KristianJ
12th September 2013, 10:34 AM
I've looked down on enough player cavs at address (being a ho and all that) and not really seen that much difference between them and most of the blades out there.

For fun and to hone your ball striking you might enjoy blades - the extent I'd probably use them would be if I saw a demo 6 or 7 iron that I could take to the range when I'm practising.

idgolfguy
12th September 2013, 11:20 AM
If you play golf for fun, use whatever you want...
I pay to play - as a golfing enthusiast, I would easily justify my choice clubs anyway regardless of what anyone else thinks.

golf2013
12th September 2013, 06:34 PM
I use i20s and the are so easy to hit but i still like to play blades when i practice now and again just for fun.