PDA

View Full Version : What equipment alterations have succeeded for you?

Steve57
8th September 2013, 11:11 AM
Fitted a Harrison Shotmaker into the Cobra AMP Cell driver that I recently purchased in the US yesterday and wow what a difference! I had been hitting it reasonably well but had developed a little ghey fade which I thought must have just been a result of my ageing swing. I got thinking on Friday night that I needed to try something different so pulled the Shotmaker from the 3 wood and put it in the stock Fujikura Fuel. Instant success, my baby draw has returned and there is no longer the feeling that the ball wants to go right. It got me thinking that maybe others had had some success with similar relatively minor changes so why not start a thread and see what else can be done without major expense. I know not quite the Ozgolf way, but maybe some ideas will help others.

simmsy
8th September 2013, 11:20 AM
yep shotmaker the same for me. just straightens the drive out nicely.

changing putter from silver to black helped out my putting. i was getting glare from the shiny top side and struggled to see the alignment mark, changed to black putter with silver alignment and it was immediately better results.

oldracer
8th September 2013, 02:09 PM
That's why I can't make putts, gotta paint it......

Bought a Cleveland Custom XL Driver, never been able to hit driver, cut it down to 44", changed weight to 11gm, turned it in .75* and voila, ghey fade instead of large slice which I'll take right now

Dotty
8th September 2013, 03:09 PM
I had gap and sand wedges bent back 2* to give more loft and bounce (and to divorce the lobby).

Enjoying the honeymoon period.

mrbluu
8th September 2013, 03:29 PM
For me it's the Vsteel 5 wood. I had a V2 reg shaft in it and it was just OK but occasionally I would snap book it especially off the tee. Virge put in a stiff proforce gold and I never tee it up anymore and it has been gold. Its my go to club off the tee on tight holes or when I need to lay up.

oldracer
8th September 2013, 03:57 PM
So what gaps you got now Dotty?

Pirelli
8th September 2013, 05:05 PM
Had my clubs cut down and swingweighted and loving the results.

timah!
8th September 2013, 05:11 PM
Had my clubs cut down and swingweighted and loving the results.

Firmly believe there is something to be said for cut down sticks.

mrbluu
8th September 2013, 05:13 PM
Firmly believe there is something to be said for cut down sticks. Yep they are definitely shorter...

timah!
8th September 2013, 05:14 PM
Yep they are definitely shorter...

#dadjoke!

Lagerlover
8th September 2013, 05:45 PM
Yep they are definitely shorter... Brilliant

razaar
8th September 2013, 06:00 PM
Firmly believe there is something to be said for cut down sticks.Or gripping down, it's cheaper and more versatile.

Dotty
8th September 2013, 06:46 PM
So what gaps you got now Dotty?
I previously used 50/54/58, with the 54 for bunker duty.

Gumby irons have a 45* PW.
50/10 gap wedge (up from 48/08 that I picked up 2nd hand)
56/16 'fairway' wedge (up from 54/14)

Leaves a slot in the bag for a dedicated sand club. Current leader is an A flex Diablo SW, which is less harsh on the old wrists.

Hatchman
8th September 2013, 09:24 PM
Fitted a Harrison Shotmaker into the Cobra AMP Cell driver that I recently purchased in the US yesterday and wow what a difference! I had been hitting it reasonably well but had developed a little ghey fade which I thought must have just been a result of my ageing swing. I got thinking on Friday night that I needed to try something different so pulled the Shotmaker from the 3 wood and put it in the stock Fujikura Fuel. Instant success, my baby draw has returned and there is no longer the feeling that the ball wants to go right. It got me thinking that maybe others had had some success with similar relatively minor changes so why not start a thread and see what else can be done without major expense. I know not quite the Ozgolf way, but maybe some ideas will help others.

That's interesting that the Shotmaker made that much difference.
That's a fairly huge improvement and a good endorsement of how well they can work.

For me it's been the Aldila RIP Alpha 70g Regular shaft I bought for an experiment in my 910D3. Was previously using the same shaft in 60g stiff. Picked up a few extra yards (not huge gain) and increased my effective drives percentage noticeably.

leighthebee
8th September 2013, 09:59 PM
None. Tinkered for years. Never have I made a club better than a manufacturer can...

mrbluu
8th September 2013, 10:26 PM
The other club is my Adams XTD 3 wood. It was a little heavy (swung at d5) and inconsistent, so I cut it down by 0.5" and it is now the best 3 wood I've owned.

oldracer
9th September 2013, 09:33 AM

Leaves a slot in the bag for a dedicated sand club. Current leader is an A flex Diablo SW, which is less harsh on the old wrists.

Thanks, just setting up my wedge gaps

mrbluu
9th September 2013, 09:36 AM

The 58 didn't work for you in the sand??

Dotty
9th September 2013, 10:39 AM
The 58 didn't work for you in the sand??
If you mean the 60* Hogan, then it was unpredictable again out of wet bunkers (usually 7am tee time after sprinklers have been on) and you can add it back to your Hogan bag.

Two years ago, I bought three Call. X Forged wedges from PeteyD and the 54/15 C grind worked the best out of our bunkers. But my brother snaffled it, which I replaced it with a regular grind 54/14 and it worked just as well. (Also found the SW in modern SGI sets worked just as well (Call. X20, Cobra S9) and surprisingly a worn Ping Zing, which is 52*. (Vokeys and other big name wedges never worked in the sand for me, hence the Hogan SureOut.))

But I have been racking up wipes by always using the lobby for the hero shot (and nothing worse than being presented with a similar same shot, as the one I just ****ed up). Hence, the change of strategy and limiting myself to only two wedge choices from grassy lies, and not wear the grooves of these out in the bunkers.

aym
9th September 2013, 04:15 PM
switching from a mx300 to mp53, the offset in the long iron was making me play crap...