PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on the TM SLDR & R1

Pages : [1] 2

JADO75
6th September 2013, 09:16 PM
Both sensational drivers in their own right. R1 will fit a broader range of people due to its adjustability & is just as good for low as it is high cappers. It's alot easier to find a shaft that works with the R1 due to having the ability to change loft from 8*-12*. I normally play my drivers at around 8* but after having read numerous reviews about the SLDR & it being lower launching I went with the 9.5* & I'm glad I did as it definitely comes out lower regardless of what shaft you use. The SLDR is lower spinning than the R1 which itself is a low spinning head, means you have to make sure you have enough loft to maximise your carry unless you're a high spin player which the low spin will help with.
I only hit my SLDR for the first time in a comp on Wednesday, pairing it with a Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6s. I wasn't swinging very well so it wouldn't have mattered what driver I was using but I saw enough good in it that I look forward to seeing what it is capable of when I put a consistently good swing on it. In saying that I hit some stupidly long balls out of the heel & nearly drove two par 4's (280m uphill, all carry & 330m, don't mean to be a tosser either) with a couple of good swings.
I went to my course today & spent some time trying some different shafts in the SLDR, tried an AD DI 6s, Oban Devotion 6s, Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65s & a Diamana D+ 62s. The big result I got is with a decent enough swing the SLDR is as long if not longer than anything I've ever hit. I even had the loft jacked up to 10.5* with all the shafts which is unheard of for me & got massive carry & the best part, plenty of release when it hit the ground. Biggest surprise was out of all the high end shafts I tried the stock 57 speeder was up there for length & accuracy. Best for me was the D+ so far, out of 12 balls, 9 were on the fairway, 2 just off & 1 went to another fairway. All were 280m+ balls, sounds like a passive brag I know but just trying to get across that with the right shaft this thing is seriously long. Was lucky enough to be swinging quite well today so can't report too much on misshits but after whiffing a few on Wednesday I think its pretty forgiving, although nowhere near as forgiving as the R1. I didn't mess around too much with the slide setting, having it set on a mid draw all day.
The other big difference between the SLDR & R1 is where the R1 has a high pitched crack when you hit it & feels quite harsh off the face (which I like) the SLDR has a really nice not ear piercing sound & feels much much softer off the face, much like the 580XD & 07 Burner lines.
Does the SLDR look a little cheap, if I'm honest Yeh it does but I'll get over it considering it gives you a low spin performing head in a forgiving 460cc.
If you want pure length I'd go with the SLDR, if you want a combination of length & forgiveness the R1 is your friend. If you have the time or resources to find the right shaft to match the SLDR head, that could definite be a game changer.
It may not be for everybody but don't discount it purely because its Taylormade.
Cheers
Jado

Like This (http://forums.iseekgolf.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=reputation&do=add_rating&app_rate=forums&type=pid&type_id=1070472&rating=1&secure_key=af954899e825b13aa5f6eefa14723544&post_return=1070472)

Shane788
6th September 2013, 09:20 PM
Good review!

mrbluu
6th September 2013, 09:33 PM
Good review jadho but u didn't make mention of how they look at address....

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 09:37 PM
Shit. I have accidentally logged into GolfWRX.

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 09:38 PM
Sorry, forgot the ;), you beast!

JADO75
6th September 2013, 09:39 PM
They sit nice & square matey, charcoal coloured head looks good with the silver face. I like the R1 graphics too tho

mrbluu
6th September 2013, 09:41 PM
They sit nice & square matey, charcoal coloured head looks good with the silver face. I like the R1 graphics too tho Now the review is complete ;-)

backintheswing
6th September 2013, 09:41 PM
Have you hit a ping Anser jado ? If you have what do you think of it?

Pirelli
6th September 2013, 09:45 PM
Very interesting results. I'm surprised the SLDR wasn't more forgiving, especially considering it had more loft.

JADO75
6th September 2013, 09:54 PM
Have you hit a ping Anser jado ? If you have what do you think of it?

I haven't BITS, to be honest I haven't hit any Ping driver for a few years although I've heard some real good things about the G25. You like the Ping gear?

JADO75
6th September 2013, 09:56 PM
Very interesting results. I'm surprised the SLDR wasn't more forgiving, especially considering it had more loft.

May well be bud, haven't hit enough stinkers to find out yet, playing tomorrow so I may know afterwards haha

Dotty
6th September 2013, 09:56 PM
I like the idea of going back to the silver face.

ps. Jado, you'll get more readers if you start your articles with ... 'I never thought I'd be writing to this forum, until last Wednesday'.

JADO75
6th September 2013, 10:02 PM
Mmm Penthouse letters

oncewasagolfer
6th September 2013, 10:19 PM
I had a couple of swing with a sldr in bendigo was going to hit some balls off the 1st but there was a comp on and didn't feel like waiting half an hour. The grey head is so strange having used a white headed driver for some time but it did feel good. Was a bit pricey for me I think the pro said $460 but I'm sure that will come down over the next few months.

Vice MC
6th September 2013, 10:46 PM
good review there...hate the look of it tho

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 10:57 PM
Jadho, am I going to love the RBZ Stage 2 3w?

JADO75
6th September 2013, 11:17 PM
Should do brotha, longer & easier to hit than the original RBZ line. If the 7m3 doesn't work for you, try another shaft before you flick it

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 11:22 PM
I went to golfbox on Monday because I was in the city and had a hit of an R1 but I needed it to be adjusted around that much I could only hit it 180 according to the booth. The slider was there but I couldn't hit it because it wasn't avaliable in lh. The r1 seemed very light compared to my 11 s, but coming from me that won't mean much. Nice review btw

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 11:38 PM
Should do brotha, longer & easier to hit than the original RBZ line. If the 7m3 doesn't work for you, try another shaft before you flick it

I've got it coming with the 8M3. Not too sure how that is going to work.

If it fails, BB 83X time!

JADO75
6th September 2013, 11:50 PM
That's two chunks of shaft JC, I've gone the other way with a lighter shaft & am loving it

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2013, 12:27 AM
That's two chunks of shaft JC, I've gone the other way with a lighter shaft & am loving it

The heavier shafts are good in keeping me from moving too quickly. I need shit to hold me back. My mind still thinks i am 18, like Rube's sister does.

JADO75
7th September 2013, 12:34 AM
She likes a heavier shaft too?

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2013, 12:44 AM
That's what SMS said. Good call.

live4golf
7th September 2013, 06:15 AM
This been replaced yet?

spanner039
7th September 2013, 02:04 PM
Nice Jado, between this thread and I think Tittys comments somewhere re the R1, has got me interested in something from TM for the first time in 20 years.

rick3003
7th September 2013, 02:33 PM
Hit the sldr today at Drummonds... Meant to be low spin but spun way more than my G25. Felt ok but the g25 outperformed the tm in all aspects.

TheNuclearOne
7th September 2013, 05:00 PM
Hit the sldr today at Drummonds... Meant to be low spin but spun way more than my G25. Felt ok but the g25 outperformed the tm in all aspects.

I'm guessing you hit it with the Fuji 57?

rick3003
7th September 2013, 11:55 PM
I'm guessing you hit it with the Fuji 57?

Yeh, will demo again when the tp is available.

Hatchman
8th September 2013, 12:11 AM
Good review.

The R1 seemed a bit slow to gain the love in general.
I found my 910D3 so much friendly than my R11s. Hind sight says I should have tried a softer shaft.
I would really be interested in comparing a R1 against my 910D3 knowing what I've learned in the last couple of months re: shafts that work for me.

TheNuclearOne
8th September 2013, 12:22 AM
Yeh, will demo again when the tp is available.

The 6.3 will be notably different.

boonhlaw
9th September 2013, 06:18 PM
Any golf store in Perth worth visiting and any with shaft fitting? Am going there end of month and would like to do that...

rubin
9th September 2013, 06:43 PM
Any golf store in Perth worth visiting and any with shaft fitting? Am going there end of month and would like to do that...

In a nutshell - no.

Wembley offer a great service, but Bruce Dickinson is the man for that. Send him a PM and he can help you out. GolfBox, Drummond etc aren't even worth the effort.

CanuckDownUnder
9th September 2013, 06:59 PM
Great review . Had one in hand today and it looks and feels very Ping like

JADO75
11th September 2013, 01:46 PM
Used the SLDR today & last Saturday with mixed results. After striping it with the D+ on Friday arvo I had high hopes on Saturday but had a hard time with it due to it launching so low, hit some pretty good one's but it wasn't the kind of flight I wanted to see. I strapped a Kiyoshi Purple in for today thinking it would increase my launch a little bit & it did a bit but not as much as I thought it would, even with the loft increased 1.5*. Starting to think I should have went with a 10.5* head, after always playing around 8* I never thought I'd need that much loft but I guess I was wrong. I'm finding the SLDR is nowhere near as forgiving as the R1 but get one out of the screws with it & it goes looong. Next comp game is on Saturday & I'm going to use an AD DI, that should lift it to where I want, if not it looks like I'm going to chase a 10.5* head.

wizard_of_oz
11th September 2013, 02:10 PM
If Dustin Johnson's swing speed is around 124mph and he uses a 10.5 TM SLDR with Fujikura 2.0 X Flex, what should the average player be playing with? Jason Day has gone for 10 and Justin Rose has also gone for 10.5. That might be the loft for you Jado? But for the majority of the average golfers out there, I would be assuming a 12 degree loft would be more what they would be needing and pairing it up with a shaft which has medium spin and not low spin.

Puji
11th September 2013, 10:33 PM
. I'm finding the SLDR is nowhere near as forgiving as the R1 but get one out of the screws with it & it goes looong

I have issues with this statement.

rivers are limited to COR of 0.830. Therefore how is any driver in the last x years going to be any different "out of the screws"? I understand that spin and launch has something to do with it - but these variables seem to belong more with shaft/ loft and swing characteristics than driver heads?

I honestly think that new drivers are just more adjustable, better looking or more forgiving on off centre hits (getting more of the face to have a max COR).

I'm usually wrong - but I'm just amazed when actual consumers claim distance gains like this. When really we are talking about 1-4m max.

TheNuclearOne
11th September 2013, 10:51 PM
I have issues with this statement.

rivers are limited to COR of 0.830. Therefore how is any driver in the last x years going to be any different "out of the screws"? I understand that spin and launch has something to do with it - but these variables seem to belong more with shaft/ loft and swing characteristics than driver heads?

Spin and launch have more than just "something" to do with it. They can make a massive difference. Driver heads actually have more to do with things than shafts too, specifically thru (true) loft (especially) and spin. There can be a quite vast difference between two driver heads with the same shaft.

The SLDR is also a very heavy head which could be putting more load on the shaft than Jadho's R1 which can lead to more distance.

You're right about max COR area's getting bigger IMO, especially on the new low spin drivers. They nare more forgiving than ever. Low spin and forgiveness normally compromise each other, but i think the companies are somehow getting around it a little more. Two examples for many might be the R1 and Anser.

Puji
11th September 2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah fair enough.

I knew I was somehow off the mark. Thanks for clearing that up.

Interesting about the heavier head!

TheNuclearOne
11th September 2013, 11:07 PM
No worries mate. Haven't weighed one myself but those suckers are very heavy they say. I've heard of them coming out around 209 grams with adaptor.

Johnny Canuck
12th September 2013, 09:12 AM

Definitely Wembley. They have all the toys.

Jerrymoo
12th September 2013, 10:09 AM
Nice write-up, J.

I took a couple of swipes with one over the weekend; not bad, kinda reminds me of the R9.

Against my G25, 8.5, I'd definitely need to go up in loft. I was hitting a 10.5 head in the standard setting, and the ball flight was comparable.

TheNuclearOne
16th September 2013, 01:29 PM
Now the initial honeymoons are ending many are putting the SLDR forward as a players driving that isn't overly forgiving. Would you agree with that assessment Jado?

JADO75
16th September 2013, 03:03 PM
After hitting the 9.5* pretty well although had to find the shaft that suited me & the SLDR best I thought I had it sorted with a Kiyoshi Purple, the only thing I needed & wanted was a higher launch so I went & got a 10.5* thinking it would be perfect. Used it on Saturday for the first time & hit only two half decent drives with it, I am now totally head mucked in what to do with the SLDR now. I had a massive dose of the lefts where my miss is usually the right. It was weird, didn't feel like straight pulls but the ball just kept going left even when I tried to swing to the right. Forgiveness felt non existent with this 10.5* head, had a few mates hit it after we finished & they couldn't hit it either (hcp's +2 - 2) Thought I was on an absolute winner with the 10.5* head but the R1 will be back for Wednesday comp until I get time to dial it in properly. Will agree that its definitely more a player's club. Seen enough good things in it to justify keeping it around for awhile until I sort it out but at the moment I'd say its not a club for the masses & recommend the R1 instead.

Captain Nemo
16th September 2013, 03:16 PM
Nice right up Jado, youv'e just saved me a couple a Hungy... :)

TheNuclearOne
16th September 2013, 03:16 PM
What shaft did you use in this 10.5* Jado?

JADO75
16th September 2013, 03:37 PM
Kiyoshi purple 65s.
Forgot to mention how heavy this thing feels, been thinking of grabbing a 5Q3 red tie in S or X & seeing how it goes for giggles

Hatchman
16th September 2013, 09:40 PM
Damb you Jado, I love my 910 D3 but I'm starting to look at R1's.

TheNuclearOne
17th September 2013, 12:53 AM
The R1 is awesome.

dc68
17th September 2013, 08:01 AM
<3 my R1 awesome sound/feel, best of my TMs since the r7 TP Shallow.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 08:09 AM
R1 Black is where its at.

Steve
17th September 2013, 08:17 AM
R1 white is right

aym
17th September 2013, 09:26 AM
Think there is a black one

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 09:34 AM
R1 Black is where its at.

I heard it was 10% better than the white one....

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 09:41 AM
I heard it was 10% better than the white one....
I heard 8%

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 09:44 AM
I heard 8% I would go with your sources, mine are usually drunk!!!

JADO75
17th September 2013, 09:58 AM
Black spins more than the white, launches a smidge higher too. Both are beauties

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 10:10 AM
Black spins more than the white, launches a smidge higher too. Both are beauties

Really, i was just taking the piss.
Never thought there was a difference, just the colour?

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-r1-black-driver/

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/may/30/taylormade-release-r1-black-driver/

Jado I know youve tried alot of drivers, but If you can tell the difference between the 2, well more power to ya!
;)

3oneday
17th September 2013, 10:44 AM
He's not the first to say so, and I saw someone first hand do exactly the same. Black was deadly straight, but deadly short.

JADO75
17th September 2013, 10:45 AM
From what I've read & been told the white R1 is promoted as a low spin driver, the heads that didn't pass TM's quality control in regards to being low spin were painted black. I put a bunch of my shafts in the two heads to compare side by side & although only marginal, the black spun & launched a little more.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 10:50 AM
Im not disputing it at all....
Just never heard or read that anywhere?

TheNuclearOne
17th September 2013, 10:52 AM
He's not the first to say so, and I saw someone first hand do exactly the same. Black was deadly straight, but deadly short.

Exactly, it's no big secret the Black is higher spin for a lot of people. The best explanation i heard for it is that the original white spins too low for many and they ramped it up a little to hit a larger consumer group range. This has happened before with TM, their initial release of the 2007 TP included V1's. They pulled the V1 quick smart as it spun too low for most golfers.

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 12:20 PM
I'm positive that Titty and I were taking the piss.....

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm positive that Titty and I were taking the piss.....

B, some guys one here take this stuff deadly serious, we better be careful next time!

mrbluu
17th September 2013, 12:28 PM
B, some guys one here take this stuff deadly serious, we better be careful next time!

Sorry guys, I promise to back it off by at least 15% :lol:.

TheNuclearOne
17th September 2013, 12:52 PM
Going past the double clown act and back to the topic of your thread Jado - i'm hearing some of these SLDR's are quite an upright head. If you get a chance see if you can visually notice a difference betwen your R1 and SLDR at some point. I'd assume both heads play at the same length with the same length shaft.

wizard_of_oz
17th September 2013, 08:57 PM
Henrik Stenson seems to have a break up with his R1 driver disguised in a SLDR headcover..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0Nb7Lolf4

oncewasagolfer
17th September 2013, 09:23 PM
Hit the r1 at the range today was nice but no better than my Nike. Just out of interest I asked how much it was $500 same price as the sldr. I could get $200 trade in on my r11s but still thought $300 was too much.

Shane788
17th September 2013, 09:52 PM
Hit the r1 at the range today was nice but no better than my Nike. Just out of interest I asked how much it was $500 same price as the sldr. I could get $200 trade in on my r11s but still thought $300 was too much.

Wow $500 still? There only $369 at my range and that's without asking for a discount.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2013, 09:54 PM
Crazy?
My Black head was $200

oncewasagolfer
17th September 2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah I could understand why they were still the same price as the sldr. Suffice to say I won't be buying:)

Steve
17th September 2013, 09:58 PM
$310 or about at most outlets, with a standard issue shaft.

oncewasagolfer
17th September 2013, 10:10 PM
So If I traded in my r11s I would get it for $10 cheaper....bargain lol

Steve
17th September 2013, 10:24 PM
So If I traded in my r11s I would get it for $10 cheaper....bargain lol

Don't think your r11 equates to a 90% trade on any new driver. So yes if you want $300 trade you pay 200 if you want a $100 trade you pay 200.

TheNuclearOne
18th September 2013, 01:28 AM
The R1's are super prices on ebay.

JADO75
18th September 2013, 08:29 PM
Played comp with two drivers today, the R1/Diamana D+ & 10.5* SLDR/stock 57 Speeder. R1 felt so much easier to hit even thoughI haven't used it for a few weeks & it was the first time I'd used the D+ with it, decent length off the tee was back & accuracy wasn't too bad.
With the 10.5* SLDR going nothing but left for me last Saturday with the face square & SLDR weight at 2/3 draw, I decreased the loft to 10* which opened the face a little & set the SLDR weight to a slight fade. Well it certainly stopped me going left which was great to see but I unfortunately lost a few well right, although combined with some crappy swings didn't help. The stock shaft works surprisingly well too. Still not 100% convinced the SLDR is a keeper yet but I think that has more to do with me stinking it up last Saturday but look forward to getting enough time to actually see if I can dial it in properly & go from there. Starting point will be to actually leave the weight neutral but have the face opened a little.

mrbluu
18th September 2013, 09:11 PM
Played comp with two drivers today, the R1/Diamana D+ & 10.5* SLDR/stock 57 Speeder. R1 felt so much easier to hit even thoughI haven't used it for a few weeks & it was the first time I'd used the D+ with it, decent length off the tee was back & accuracy wasn't too bad.
With the 10.5* SLDR going nothing but left for me last Saturday with the face square & SLDR weight at 2/3 draw, I decreased the loft to 10* which opened the face a little & set the SLDR weight to a slight fade. Well it certainly stopped me going left which was great to see but I unfortunately lost a few well right, although combined with some crappy swings didn't help. The stock shaft works surprisingly well too. Still not 100% convinced the SLDR is a keeper yet but I think that has more to do with me stinking it up last Saturday but look forward to getting enough time to actually see if I can dial it in properly & go from there. Starting point will be to actually leave the weight neutral but have the face opened a little.

Sounds like the R1 is the winner to me mate.....

Dangals
18th September 2013, 11:10 PM
happy to provide a second opinion on the 10.5 head mate - just say the word ;)

TheNuclearOne
5th October 2013, 08:36 AM
Phil just gamed a disguised one of these in the Pres Cup. Go the SLDR!!

Shane788
5th October 2013, 08:15 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/a7ytu7ud.jpg

I know he either tries to cover it up or he just likes matte black but couldn't they of done a better job?

TheNuclearOne
5th October 2013, 09:34 PM
Hahaha, they have to get rid of that non Cally white first up. Almost looks like they may have taped over the slot like they did with the Spoon.

KristianJ
5th October 2013, 09:41 PM
Phoenix Open seems like an eternity ago when he was waxing lyrical about the Razr Fit Xtreme...

timah!
5th October 2013, 09:49 PM
Phoenix Open seems like an eternity ago when he was waxing lyrical about the Razr Fit Xtreme...

And the phrankenwood and whatever else.
He is the ho leader...

TheNuclearOne
5th October 2013, 09:59 PM
All the way!!!

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8694/uzfd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/uzfd.jpg/)

Shane788
5th October 2013, 10:47 PM
Haha such a seedy pic

TheNuclearOne
5th October 2013, 10:53 PM
Isn't it just hahaha.

Johnny Canuck
5th October 2013, 10:56 PM
Phil makes us proud with his Ho'ing ways.

TheNuclearOne
5th October 2013, 11:00 PM
He's an awesome ho. He's got the Kuro Kage silver in it.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 09:12 AM

+1

it was the best driver ever!!!

razaar
9th October 2013, 09:32 AM
Obviously his contract with Cally doesn't include the metal woods, or does it?

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 09:48 AM
Obviously his contract with Cally doesn't include the metal woods, or does it?

Callaway are happy for him to tinker....probably so they can copy the specs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2013/10/phil-mickelson-presidents-cup-equipment.html

razaar
9th October 2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks. Cally realise that he can't hit a driver consistently and are happy to see him hitting others' drivers all over the shop. Who in their right mind would buy a driver on the basis of what Mickleson says or any other pro for that matter, but especially Mickleson?

virge666
9th October 2013, 01:31 PM
So i hit the Sldr last night for the first time. Stock 57gr shaft in stiff.

First thoughts...

"Holy shit, there is no spin on that ball"

The ball just floats in the air... nice club.

Mububban
9th October 2013, 04:33 PM
R1 on sale at Drummond for $279, sale is on 11th - 14th. Not sure if the SLDR has any discount seeing as it's so new but the sale sound store wide.

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 04:39 PM
R1 on sale at Drummond for $279, sale is on 11th - 14th. Not sure if the SLDR has any discount seeing as it's so new but the sale sound store wide.3

Golfbox have them for $277 delivered.

goughy
9th October 2013, 08:26 PM
The pro at my driving range said 250

mrbluu
9th October 2013, 10:22 PM
The pro at my driving range said 250

Delivered :-)

JADO75
23rd October 2013, 03:14 PM
The SLDR is back! Used it today, face slightly open, one click to draw with a Kiyoshi Purple shaft for the first time & hit some of the longest balls I've hit in a long while. The Purple seems to be a really good match with the SLDR head & my swing.

spanner039
23rd October 2013, 07:49 PM
Lovin the R1 with the 300 odd settings have settled for standard, stupid / embarrassing loud at the range though

Nice on the course, highish launch (I like) and super straight @ 10* , freaken long and pretty forgiving

Had a look at the SLDR at MGA they all looked disturbingly closed, can you change that?

matty
23rd October 2013, 08:35 PM
Totally missed this thread and now want to hit the sldr. I've hot the r1 once and loved the feel.
They would have to be incredible to feel better than the fit.

davepuppies
23rd October 2013, 08:41 PM
Would the SLDR spin less than the super deep?

liptout
23rd October 2013, 08:47 PM
Totally missed this thread and now want to hit the sldr. I've hot the r1 once and loved the feel.
They would have to be incredible to feel better than the fit.

And I would like to be there to witness you hit the SLDR Matty!!

It is a beast of a thing, I hit Jado's couple of weeks ago. Would have grabbed it off him but just launched a little to low for my liking......

rqrox
23rd October 2013, 08:55 PM
Scotty was that with the 9.5 or 10.5? and I just picked up an R1 for shits and giggles and goes long.... substantially longer than the X Hot!

mrbluu
23rd October 2013, 08:58 PM
Totally missed this thread and now want to hit the sldr. I've hot the r1 once and loved the feel. They would have to be incredible to feel better than the fit. If only u where getting a driver fitting ;-)

liptout
23rd October 2013, 08:59 PM
10.5 mate.

As you know I like having a kind of high ball flight, like a rainbow. It gave the launch that you'd like so you'd prob flush it!!

Would like to try one in a 12* one day.

rqrox
23rd October 2013, 09:01 PM
only girls have a 12 degree driver.

I want one also.

JADO75
23rd October 2013, 09:25 PM
Would the SLDR spin less than the super deep?

TNO would know for sure but I'd say yes

JADO75
23rd October 2013, 09:31 PM
Dicky, you smashed my R1 at Mt Broughton

Scotty, would love to see you hit the 12*, could be a monster for you brotha

Matty, I think you'd love it mate. I've found it pretty hard to dial in but if I have more days like today it's pretty hard to beat.

KristianJ
23rd October 2013, 10:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Basically-Mint-Taylor-Made-SLDR-9-5-Driver-Stiff-shaft-R-H-TaylorMade-/181244945051?pt=AU_GolfClubs&hash=item2a330a629b&_uhb=1

Consider this a carrot...;)

TheNuclearOne
23rd October 2013, 10:13 PM
TNO would know for sure but I'd say yes

Certainly in the ballpark and undoubtably a bit more forgiving. The SD was a very very demanding driver. It was barely even seen on tour.

3oneday
25th October 2013, 07:57 AM
They claim the feel is the same as the holy grail. I must have a very bad memory, nothing like a 510. Stage 2 is also better feeling and longer.

Question is, what will replace it in 4 months time :)

Ned
25th October 2013, 08:16 AM
They claim the feel is the same as the holy grail. I must have a very bad memory, nothing like a 510. Stage 2 is also better feeling and longer.

Question is, what will replace it in 4 months time :)

Isn't it due for a "new" model now ?

JADO75
25th October 2013, 02:24 PM
Was talking to a TM rep & there is apparently something "new" in the pipeline coming out soon enough. First thing they'll change on the SLDR is to make the SLDR weight interchangeable with more or less weight.

Steve
25th October 2013, 02:42 PM
Didn't MUZ make this driver years ago :)

JADO75
25th October 2013, 02:52 PM
Totally different performing driver mate, mizuno had they're slide weight around the back perimeter (alot like the new Callawy Slider) where TM's is way forward. TM actually took out a patent on the slide weight tech before Mizuno had released their driver.

matty
30th October 2013, 05:12 PM
How are finding the sldr jade? Still using it?

Anyone else using it?

JADO75
30th October 2013, 10:36 PM
Used it with the Purple the last two games & its gone really well, using it tomoz with a newly acquired Red Tie tomoz & have high hopes it will be a great combo. Actually thinking of grabbing another 9.5* head to mess around with now.
Given the right loft/shaft combo I think you'd love it mate

Captain Nemo
3rd November 2013, 11:22 AM
R1 users, what's your opinion on launch angle, do you think they are on the high side?
I've tried mine with a few shafts now, and I'm in the high launch opinion?
Latest shaft is a Diamana D+ 72X set on one above lowest (I presume 9.25*) and I can get this thing to launch at a nice high isg flight.
I'm not complaining, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

spanner039
3rd November 2013, 12:31 PM
R1 users, what's your opinion on launch angle, do you think they are on the high side?
I've tried mine with a few shafts now, and I'm in the high launch opinion?
Latest shaft is a Diamana D+ 72X set on one above lowest (I presume 9.25*) and I can get this thing to launch at a nice high isg flight.
I'm not complaining, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

Agree, high launch. Not that I have an issue with that, I like it - similar flight to the g20 9.5.

Havnt had a chance yet to compare with other shafts the 60s fuel is the only one i have tipped up at the moment

Will put the 7m3 in over the next couple of weeks but not to try and lower the height just to see if theres any real difference distance wise.

Got mine set at 9 - 9.5*

Steve
3rd November 2013, 01:48 PM
I find it to launch high, I have had in mine a BT 6m3, a bimatrix thing. A KK x flex black and silver and finished with a ahina 70 s in it with a shotmaker set at 9*ish

goughy
3rd November 2013, 01:51 PM
I like the should of the r1, might have to save some cash some time.

spanner039
3rd November 2013, 01:57 PM
I like the should of the r1, might have to save some cash some time.

In typical Taylormade style they are getting to be pretty good value very quickly

goughy
3rd November 2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah. I'll wait till they're under 100 here though.

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah. I'll wait till they're under 100 here though.

Be a long wait that one goughy.

goughy
3rd November 2013, 03:50 PM
100 here means 100 ozgolf. They'll get there. And I'm patient :)

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2013, 04:26 PM
Now i follow hahahaha

JADO75
3rd November 2013, 07:54 PM
I play my R1 at 8* with an AD BB & don't find it too high launching at all. I can hit it high if needed, I do notice the ball flight difference when I change loft.

R1 is getting cheaper, talk of a "Jet Speed" driver being released this month to replace the RBZ line, no pics as yet

davepuppies
3rd November 2013, 09:12 PM
What is the average length of time a Taylor made driver stays the current model? 3 months? More?

JADO75
3rd November 2013, 09:15 PM
Pretty crappy for sure but better than having the shithouse 913 driver line for two years haha

Shane788
3rd November 2013, 10:02 PM
Pretty crappy for sure but better than having the shithouse 913 driver line for two years haha

Hahaha

davepuppies
3rd November 2013, 10:49 PM
I hear you say that a lot, but I don't find I hit my 913 any shorter than my 910?

wazandnic
3rd November 2013, 11:13 PM
I agree Dp. I have a 910D3 and 913D3 same lofts and shafts and find bugger all between them... if anything the 913 feels a little nicer off the face and straigther? Even with my one legged flip swing on Day 1 of the NSW champs recently, I had my name on the Long Drive (for a brief period) all with my 913D3 ;)

Dotty
4th November 2013, 07:55 AM
I had my name on the Long Drive (for a brief period) all with my 913D3 ;)
So did I. ;)

I think what Jado was trying to say is that Titleist put all their eggs in one basket for two years and expect it to be suitable for every customer. If it doesn't then all the customer can do is look elsewhere until 2015.

Captain Nemo
4th November 2013, 08:31 AM
I think with Titleist they have a more loyal following, so guys will stick with their product longer even if its only marginally better than the previous.
Hell, there are still a zillion Pro's and very low top amatuers using 910 and the 710 gear.....

Daves
4th November 2013, 08:34 AM
Nothing wrong with the 913s, just took a little longer to get used to it (them).

davepuppies
4th November 2013, 08:48 AM
I honestly don't see any difference between my 913 and my 910...... Same could be said of the original, 710 and 712 ap2, as I have owned each type.

I play the newest stuff more to have something new and shiny in my bag.

I can honestly say I can't pick up any difference in performance of driver heads in the last 5+ years. For me the only difference is looks and sound. I find it hard to believe when people say head "a" is 20 metres longer than head "b" when they are both max COR and 460cc.

TheNuclearOne
4th November 2013, 10:40 AM
I honestly don't see any difference between my 913 and my 910...... Same could be said of the original, 710 and 712 ap2, as I have owned each type.

Titleist make them very minor little changes to everything that means not much excitement but a solid product usually very comparable to their previous offering. The majority of times a Titleist devotee will be able to slip comfortably straight into the next product.

I play the newest stuff more to have something new and shiny in my bag.

Which usually works solidly due to the above.

I can honestly say I can't pick up any difference in performance of driver heads in the last 5+ years. For me the only difference is looks and sound. I find it hard to believe when people say head "a" is 20 metres longer than head "b" when they are both max COR and 460cc.

If someone has a driver that fits reasonably well this shouldn't be seen. A lot of the big gainers have/had drivers/combo's that spin waaaaaaay too much. They pick up something like an SLDR/Anser/Super LS etc with a lower spinning/more stable shaft then nek minnut they really are hitting it a long way further. Others that don't need the spin can't keep them in the air.

davepuppies
4th November 2013, 11:47 AM
Yep agreed, it's all about tuning the right head and shaft to your own specs.

Let the 913 love continue!

JADO75
8th November 2013, 08:49 PM
Hit a bunch of drives this arvo from different tees at my home course to see how the SLDR would go with an Oban Devotion 06 04 (65 odd grams, stiff flex). I had the SLDR set at 11* which is supposed to close the face a little & the weight Set to neutral. Results were pretty good, had a really strong flight that tailed out slightly to the right at the end. I wanted to try & get rid of be baby fade so I changed the weight to 2 clicks towards draw, BOOM! There it was, I had a really strong flight with plenty of carry that was straight or had a very small draw to it & ran like a bastard when it landed. I normally hit a little (or sometimes big) cut so to see a baby draw was sensational. Not sure if I was in a bit of a zone or something this arvo but I finished the session piping 11 out of 12 balls down the middle & a long way up the fairway. The one that I missed was stoopid long & in line with the first cut of trees, only 5m or 6m off the fairway. Hope I can take this afternoons swing to comp tomorrow, knowing me that'll never happen though.

Double D
8th November 2013, 09:07 PM
I used to be loyal to Titliest, but I don't see the point in releasing clubs which are pretty much the same every 2 years. Fair enough with the players irons there isn't much room to move but they could get much more excited with woods. I enjoy TM and the shiny new clubs they bring out every few months, they also push the boundaries like no one else. Saying that I don't have SLDR yet, trying to hold out for a while.

Disclaimer: Titleist are a golf ball company!

Captain Nemo
9th November 2013, 09:03 AM
Disclaimer: Titleist are a golf ball company!

Tell that to A.Scott
;)

Hatchman
9th November 2013, 09:26 AM
Hit a bunch of drives this arvo from different tees at my home course to see how the SLDR would go with an Oban Devotion 06 04 (65 odd grams, stiff flex). I had the SLDR set at 11* which is supposed to close the face a little & the weight Set to neutral. Results were pretty good, had a really strong flight that tailed out slightly to the right at the end. I wanted to try & get rid of be baby fade so I changed the weight to 2 clicks towards draw, BOOM! There it was, I had a really strong flight with plenty of carry that was straight or had a very small draw to it & ran like a bastard when it landed. I normally hit a little (or sometimes big) cut so to see a baby draw was sensational. Not sure if I was in a bit of a zone or something this arvo but I finished the session piping 11 out of 12 balls down the middle & a long way up the fairway. The one that I missed was stoopid long & in line with the first cut of trees, only 5m or 6m off the fairway. Hope I can take this afternoons swing to comp tomorrow, knowing me that'll never happen though.

After reading this I'm even more tempted to get one.
Think I'm going to have to find a place that has one/some I can test.

Double D
9th November 2013, 07:37 PM
Tell that to A.Scott
;)

I guess I'll have to, I'm sure he would agree as golf ball sales are where they make their $$$ to pay him.

Stuartd147
10th November 2013, 10:41 AM
OK I have the fess up…I bought one! Local golf shop had a deal for me and only had 9.5* in stiff so I was impulsive and bought the lower loft anyway then cranked it to 11*.

So far so good, nice flight and feels nice.

Compared to my RBZ Tour 9.5* the SLDR goes lower but overall I gain a bit a bit in distance. The big difference seems to be the (lack of) side spin for me. I hit two yesterday in the medal where I came over the top that would normally be a 10-15m cuts but this dang thing just held the ball all the way down the right side of the fairway and distance loss was only about 10%….nice!

Would like to try a 10.5* or even a 12* to see how they compare to this one.…Stu

mrbluu
10th November 2013, 03:52 PM
Took mine out today for spin. It's a 10.5* set on 10*, one click on draw with a black tie stiff shaft. The first few when really well with slight draws. It does launch lower than anything I've hit before so I'm glad I got the 10.5.

Not sure if I love the black tie, as my back was playing up and I could crank it. It was also raining, and playing in the rain jacket made it hard to get a full turn and I struggled a lot to put a good swing on the club. I miscued a few straight which is what I like in any club I play. It's definitely a very straight driver. I think I might lack a little feel, but I can handle that as long as it keeps pumping out relatively straight shots.

There is another shaft on the wish list at the moment, so we will see if I can source that.

Steve
10th November 2013, 04:31 PM
That's the BT 6M3 that's putting that launch on it.

JADO75
10th November 2013, 04:44 PM
Mmm red tie haha

mrbluu
10th November 2013, 05:27 PM
Mmm red tie haha

Know anyone who has one thry want to move on???

davepuppies
10th November 2013, 05:37 PM
Would a matrix Xcon 5/6 work well in this type of head? High launch low spin.....

Captain Nemo
10th November 2013, 05:44 PM
B, you can try me HD6?

JADO75
10th November 2013, 06:30 PM
Know anyone who has one thry want to move on???

Ill give you a bell tomoz brotha, doing the young blokes bday thing

mrbluu
10th November 2013, 07:37 PM
B, you can try me HD6?

Is that the red thing I tried before in the rbz stage 2?

Captain Nemo
10th November 2013, 07:54 PM
Dunno, from me?

mrbluu
10th November 2013, 08:44 PM
Dunno, from me? Yeah. I think its the shaft u got off jadho

Dangals
10th November 2013, 10:11 PM
There is also my vts silver that you can try with it...as long as I can compare it to my R1 ;)

mrbluu
10th November 2013, 10:28 PM
There is also my vts silver that you can try with it...as long as I can compare it to my R1 ;)

Sounds good to me. Come down to Cabra and we can spend some time bashing balls around.

Captain Nemo
12th November 2013, 07:23 AM
SLDR is so old school, this is where it's at....
http://www.golfwrx.com/149300/taylormade-jetspeed-drivers-fairway-woods-and-hybrids/?utm_source=Richard+copy+of+a+newsletter&utm_campaign=11-11&utm_medium=email

3oneday
12th November 2013, 08:34 AM
Back to the Burner type graphics? yuck

Captain Nemo
12th November 2013, 08:38 AM
It's like they are trying to reinvent the wheel.....

Hatchman
12th November 2013, 01:23 PM
Joining the SLDR crew soon. Won a new 10.5 complete club from the US on Evilbay for a good price.
Real keen to see how this thing goes.

Hatchman
24th November 2013, 07:27 PM
Took the SLDR out for it's maiden tonk today at Adrossan. Had it set on the stock 10.5 and 2 notches towards draw bias.
With all the talk about low launch I was expecting to hit the ball quite low and expecting to have to jack it up but that never happened. I found the flight to be quite normal to be honest. Not sure if playing the stock shaft in regular has some thing to do with that or not.

What I did notice was some poor swings didn't spin off further sideways even with the direction of the wind. Drives were holding their line very well. Most drives were straight or baby fades.

Have no idea if I've gained any length or not. Will have to wait until I hit it on my home course for that. The feel is very solid with none of that tinny coke can sound familiar with so many Ti drivers.

First impressions are, I like it. Can't say it's any better than my 910D3 yet but it's certainly no worse. Keen to get out again with it.

Hatchman
25th November 2013, 09:19 PM
Got out for 18 at North Lakes before starting afternoon shift for some more SLDR testing.
It was a bit windy on the front 9 plus the fairways and rough were quite dry so there was a fair bit of run out there.
Once again bit hard to judge the distance factor. Hit a couple of monsters but not sure how much was the SLDR or conditions.
Ball flight was once again fairly normal and high for me. Once again some really poor swings didn't spin off the post code like I expected them too.
I think I was trying to hit it a bit too hard and make it go extra distance in the middle of the game. When I slowed the swing down a bit on the last couple of holes I got hold of a couple.

Won't get it out on the home course until two weeks time. Will take it to Lady Bay this Sunday and see what happens there. Will have nothing to compare it against so that might be a good thing in being able to put some good tempo swings on it.

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 08:24 AM
So as it turns out I ended up with a SLDR 10.5* with a Red Tie Shaft. It's set on 10*, so its a little open and the plate weight is set one click to draw. This combo could be the best that I've ever hit, this is saying something, as those who have seem me hit the SF, think its damn good club too (it will never be sold). I don't think it's as long as my SF 2.0 TP, but I think it's more accurate and I get a slight lower ball flight and almost as much carry as the SF, so thinking about it now, it has the potential to be longer given drier conditions. (it rained hard last weekend in Sydney and the fairways were almost a bog).

Now how much of accuracy is the shaft I'm not 100% sure, but when I tried it with the Black Tie, it was good but had the tendency to go left and go left hard. That could have been how it was set up cos it feel a little closed. But with the Red Tie combo, I aimed up the right hand side of the fairway to draw it back, but pulled them and they still found the left end of the fairway. I'm sure with the SF 2.0 or the Black Tie shaft they would have went further left.

It will be interesting to test in on my home course and when the fairway's dry out a little bit.

backintheswing
26th November 2013, 08:43 AM
So as it turns out I ended up with a SLDR 10.5* with a Red Tie Shaft. It's set on 10*, so its a little open and the plate weight is set one click to draw. This combo could be the best that I've ever hit, this is saying something, as those who have seem me hit the SF, think its damn good club too (it will never be sold). I don't think it's as long as my SF 2.0 TP, but I think it's more accurate and I get a slight lower ball flight and almost as much carry as the SF, so thinking about it now, it has the potential to be longer given drier conditions. (it rained hard last weekend in Sydney and the fairways were almost a bog).

Now how much of accuracy is the shaft I'm not 100% sure, but when I tried it with the Black Tie, it was good but had the tendency to go left and go left hard. That could have been how it was set up cos it feel a little closed. But with the Red Tie combo, I aimed up the right hand side of the fairway to draw it back, but pulled them and they still found the left end of the fairway. I'm sure with the SF 2.0 or the Black Tie shaft they would have went further left.

It will be interesting to test in on my home course and when the fairway's dry out a little bit.

So it goes like the Anser you hit, just not as far?

mrbluu
26th November 2013, 08:46 AM
So it goes like the Anser you hit, just not as far? The anser flew much lower and just didn't feel right to me. This one launches high but quite as high as the sf. Its very promising after one round.

petethepilot
26th November 2013, 09:16 AM
I find the key to the SLDR is to hit the middle of the club!
Obvious you might say but IMHO the real distance gain is only directly in the middle.
I am using 11* of loft but teeing it down lower. My other driver (TM R11 Dot) is set at 8.5*.
Mishits (toes/heels) go straight but way down on distance.
Previously, I tried to hit460cc drivers higher on the face but this also to leads to shorter drives.

Stock shaft is pretty good but dispersion would improve with a fitted better quality shaft!
Don't make it a heavy shaft as the Sldr head weighs quite a bit (mine is 199g). I'm playing 57/58g shaft!

Pete

Ferrins
26th November 2013, 10:05 AM
I will get a tip on my Rombax 5x07 reg and tip it 1/2'. See how it goes.

Hatchman
26th November 2013, 01:40 PM
One thing I forgot to mention from my round at Ardrossan was I hit two drive shapes I haven't seen with either my R11s and 910D3. I hit two slight pulls that finished off with a baby fade. Normally when I pull a tee shot it's a straight pull or a pull hook.

Need to get some tips and try some different shafts. Did well with the 910D3 changing back to a reg from stiff in the RIP Alphas. On the look out now for some cheap stiff tipped regulars to experiment with.

Ferrins
29th November 2013, 05:17 PM
I have the SLDR and it feels very similar to the Adams 9015D I used to have.

live4golf
29th November 2013, 05:26 PM
I have the SLDR and it feels very similar to the Adams 9015D I used to have. Don't like it, will pass it on to L4G

FTFY

Thanks mate :)

Ferrins
29th November 2013, 05:59 PM
The Adams goes 17 metres further.

live4golf
29th November 2013, 07:29 PM
The Adams goes 17 metres further.

Good news for me?

Ferrins
30th November 2013, 07:41 PM
Had my first comp game with the SLDR and I am impressed, hit it solid all day. It's a keeper sorry L4G and perci.

Hatchman
30th November 2013, 08:24 PM
Got out on the home track today in the hope of giving it a good test.

I hit 3 into a strong head wind that would suggest there are few extra meters in it.
Through the corner on 1 where I would normally be ok and in the middle. Got to the 150m on 11 where I would normally be 10-20 further back and one that cleared the trees easy when cutting the corner on 13.

The big one was on 17 where I drove it within 10m of the green and made it over the hazard the cuts through the course. My previous biggest on this hole just makes it into the hazard. The big surprise was this one didn't come out of the middle. It came from top and centre.

Even hit one off the deck in the rough that got air born easy and didn't get under the tree I was truing the navigate.

Tempted to crank the loft down to 9.5 tomorrow at Lady Bay as I'm hitting a high to normal flight.

live4golf
30th November 2013, 08:27 PM
Had my first comp game with the SLDR and I am impressed, hit it solid all day. It's a keeper sorry L4G and perci.

Happy for you :)

I am still looking, if you do decide to pull the pin I would still like first dibs please.

JADO75
30th November 2013, 09:32 PM
Used mine for the first time with a motore speeder 6.0 & apart from the 3 out of the first 4 drives being crappy pull hooks the rest were really good, nice strong flight & a couple of real loooong balls. The motore shaft feels great, smooth as buggery, loads easy & then kicks through the ball.
Been thinking of grabbing a 12* sldr too

mrbluu
30th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Hit the SLDR with the red tie again its a fairway finder!! It comes out a little low, so the 12* could be an option.....

It flies about shorter than my SF but rolls out more so total distance is about the same.

Stuartd147
1st December 2013, 12:11 PM
I find the key to the SLDR is to hit the middle of the club!
Obvious you might say but IMHO the real distance gain is only directly in the middle.
I am using 11* of loft but teeing it down lower. My other driver (TM R11 Dot) is set at 8.5*.
Mishits (toes/heels) go straight but way down on distance.

Driving is the worst part of my game (maintaining spine angle is the culprit!!) but I agree with PTP that out of the middle gives gain in distance, but the real improvement for me is the reduced spin overall, my bad shot is a hit low off centre on the face with the result being 15-20m loss in distance but I am "in play" on the fairway. Hcp has dropped 2 shots since I have had this driver. I have a 9.5 cranked to 11 but I too would like to try more loft…..Jade if you get a 12* you could rent it out to a few of us who want to also experiment ….Stu

JADO75
1st December 2013, 12:33 PM
The more I think about how well I've been hitting the 10.5* (granted there have been some shitty days too) the more I think a 12* would or could be perfect. Think I may have worked my Xmas present out

Ferrins
1st December 2013, 01:03 PM
Have my 10.5* at 11* and likey but at 12* felt like absolute shite.

mrbluu
1st December 2013, 01:21 PM
I think I need to unsubscribe to this thread before the inner ho gets more ideas!!!

Hatchman
1st December 2013, 03:15 PM
The SLDR was on song at Lady Bay today, just wish the rest of the game was as good. Hit one off the deck on fairway and it went like a bullet. I can't get my 910D3 air borne as easy.

Everyone else is talking of going more loft. I must be a freak in thinking of dropping mine back to 9.5.

Really liking the SLDR atm. Starting to think it's going to be a keeper.

Ferrins
1st December 2013, 03:26 PM
Keeping thinking I have a scratch on the crown when I see that marking at the back.

Shane788
1st December 2013, 03:39 PM
Still keen on getting a SLDR but I used a AD DI 6s today in my R1 V2 and wow! 14/14 fairways and very long. It's blowing about 45-50 kph so it was impressive.

backintheswing
1st December 2013, 03:40 PM
Still keen on getting a SLDR but I used a AD DI 6s today in my R1 V2 and wow! 14/14 fairways and very long. It's blowing about 45-50 kph so it was impressive.

What's the flight like with the DI 6S. I have one on the way, so interested to hear how you find it.

Shane788
1st December 2013, 09:17 PM
It was really good, it was low-mid but that's with the v2 on standard 8.5*, I was surprised by the heigh as I hated the shaft in the standard black r1 it was sky high and just didn't feel good but I was impressed today. I'd love to get a ad bb6s I think that would suit me perfect.
Between the driver and the putter I was on fire. Great day

davidw88
3rd December 2013, 08:15 AM
I have a 9.5 degree set at 8.5 with a motore speeder ts6.2 and I have hit some of the longest drives i have ever hit. This is a good stick, even didnt mind the stock shaft.

3oneday
3rd December 2013, 09:58 AM
Wash you mouth out, how could a shaft actually designed for a driver be any good!!!

;)

mrbluu
3rd December 2013, 10:04 AM
Wash you mouth out, how could a shaft actually designed for a driver be any good!!!

;)

Sure it was designed for the driver, but then made cheap as possible!!

3oneday
3rd December 2013, 10:15 AM
Sure it was designed for the driver, but then made cheap as possible!!so should sell readily here then :)

I enjoy an upgrade shaft as much as the next guy, and have a lovely Fubuki in an X Hot Pro I just bought. The thing that intrigues me most though is someone asking someone else what the shaft did to their ballflight when they have no concept of the persons swing, setup or capabilities.

I also don't feel I am good enough to really tell the difference between an AD Di and a stock shaft, and I am certain when my mate wants to try the Fubuki and I end up with his stocky, that I won't know the diff. But I've only been playing 30 years so maybe it'll come to me :)

mrbluu
3rd December 2013, 10:18 AM
so should sell readily here then :)I enjoy an upgrade shaft as much as the next guy, and have a lovely Fubuki in an X Hot Pro I just bought. The thing that intrigues me most though is someone asking someone else what the shaft did to their ballflight when they have no concept of the persons swing, setup or capabilities. I also don't feel I am good enough to really tell the difference between an AD Di and a stock shaft, and I am certain when my mate wants to try the Fubuki and I end up with his stocky, that I won't know the diff. But I've only been playing 30 years so maybe it'll come to me :) A stock shaft has less bling....;)

3oneday
3rd December 2013, 10:27 AM
I reckon the stocky in the Callaway is fairly sexy though.

Daves
3rd December 2013, 10:28 AM
I reckon the stocky in the Callaway is fairly sexy though.

The Trinity?, a very good shaft for the average golfer imo.

3oneday
3rd December 2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry, the X Hot, has the Project X something or other. I liked the Trinity in the Xtreme I had too though.

Daves
3rd December 2013, 10:39 AM
Sorry, the X Hot, has the Project X something or other. I liked the Trinity in the Xtreme I had too though.

Agree with the Project X as well. I have an X Hot with a PX in it and it is easy to hit straight out of the box. Ditto for the stock Mitsubishi Shafts in Titleists of the last few years.

Ferrins
3rd December 2013, 10:57 AM
Many times I come across guys on 4 or less h'cap playing stock shafts. No ghey pun thx

Icestorm959
3rd December 2013, 11:18 AM
The Miyazaki shafts in the Cleveland Custom is also pretty good for a stock offering.

Waddzy
3rd December 2013, 11:41 AM
Its probably rubbish but I like my aldila NVS shaft that came stock in the Callaway Razr fit but I've never hit an aftermarket shaft... Are they that much better?

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2013, 11:45 AM
Many times I come across guys on 4 or less h'cap playing stock shafts. No ghey pun thx

Saw a shit load of guys on at the Aus Open gaming stock R1 branded Shafts in both R1's and SLDR's....
Take that as you will!

Dangals
3rd December 2013, 12:07 PM
Saw a shit load of guys on at the Aus Open gaming stock R1 branded Shafts in both R1's and SLDR's....
Take that as you will!

yeah but a lot those will be proper shafts but just with the TM paint job on them rather than the actual stock shaft. Perfect example is Jason Day - his shaft looks like the stock shaft but is actually a TP7HD, they do that so to the average punter it looks like he is playing the same driver that can be bought at retail.

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2013, 12:13 PM
yeah but a lot those will be proper shafts but just with the TM paint job on them rather than the actual stock shaft. Perfect example is Jason Day - his shaft looks like the stock shaft but is actually a TP7HD, they do that so to the average punter it looks like he is playing the same driver that can be bought at retail.

Yes and no...

timah!
3rd December 2013, 12:19 PM
Yep, TM tour shafts are real deal, just TM graphics.

TheNuclearOne
3rd December 2013, 05:58 PM

;)

If you're referring to dave88, the motore speeder ts 6.2 isn't a stocko.

TheNuclearOne
3rd December 2013, 06:04 PM
SLDR in 14* coming real soon, good news for those that need loads of loft to get such a driver to Matt Sing.

WeekendHacker
4th December 2013, 10:17 AM
Found mine ok with the stock Speeder shaft in it but then with the GD Z9003 7S shaft I got off of here it is truly a completely different driver. The harder you swing it the better it gets. Nice smooth easy swing and it just jumps off the face. Really lean into it and it just pops. Liked it with the stock shaft but absolutely love it with the GD shaft in it.

3oneday
4th December 2013, 10:22 AM
If you're referring to dave88, the motore speeder ts 6.2 isn't a stocko.nope, not at all, just generalising :)

TheNuclearOne
4th December 2013, 05:30 PM
nope, not at all, just generalising :)

:D

Hatchman
9th December 2013, 03:22 PM
Another thing to add.
Found my 10.5° set on 10.5° much easier to hit off the deck than my 910D3.
Going to bump mine down to 9.5° as I'm having no problems with launch.

Shane788
9th December 2013, 06:06 PM
Tried my r1 v2 with an oban devotion 6 that finally arrived from the states. Played twin waters on Saturday and noosa tawantin on Sunday and performed very well, great feeling shaft. Felt better than the addi 6.

Scifisicko
9th December 2013, 06:26 PM
Just bought brand new woods (from a shop!) for the first time in 5 years. I went with excitement and $ expecting to love the SLDR but it did nothing for me. It was the shortest of the 5 or so drivers I tried. I also hit it at the TM demo night for the same lack of result. Seemed like it had no pop, maybe it was the shaft options. I havent liked many fujikuras since the 757. Very disappointing. I liked the R1 with the 60g phenom. It made the short list.

JADO75
9th December 2013, 06:31 PM
Played my R1 with the motore speeder vc 6.0 on Saturday & couldn't keep it on the planet, same shaft in the SLDR is a cracker. Bloody golf!

rqrox
9th December 2013, 07:25 PM
I grabbed a SLDR on the weekend and had no luck at all.
To me, it felt dead off the face and very similar to many new drivers which is really crap as I was hoping to love the shit out of it. Now that I think about it, the R1 v2 feels similar I think although the v2 is higher launching.

mrbluu
9th December 2013, 07:58 PM
I grabbed a SLDR on the weekend and had no luck at all.
To me, it felt dead off the face and very similar to many new drivers which is really crap as I was hoping to love the shit out of it. Now that I think about it, the R1 v2 feels similar I think although the v2 is higher launching.

Havent tried the r1, I agree that the sldr is not really the best feeling club out there. However I really I like the flight and its seems to be straighter than any driver I've used. As it flies a little lower than my sf, into wind shots aren't affected as much. Also I can wait to play somewhere with hard bouncy fairways, cos I think it run out miles!!!

rqrox
9th December 2013, 08:04 PM
Havent tried the r1, I agree that the sldr is not really the best feeling club out there. However I really I like the flight and its seems to be straighter than any driver I've used. As it flies a little lower than my sf, into wind shots aren't affected as much. Also I can wait to play somewhere with hard bouncy fairways, cos I think it run out miles!!!

I know a place that has hard bouncy fairways if your keen for this Sat?

mrbluu
9th December 2013, 09:16 PM
I know a place that has hard bouncy fairways if your keen for this Sat?Anytime except for this sat....

matty
9th December 2013, 09:36 PM
I look forward to hitting a sldr one day to see what all the fuss is about.
The shaft would have to make or break the driver though.

backintheswing
21st December 2013, 07:40 PM
So everyone seems to be on the Sldr bandwagon. I have seen a head I can get a hold of.

I have a couple of R1 tips here. I know they fit the Sldr, but what difference is there in adjustability?

Captain Nemo
21st December 2013, 08:00 PM
So everyone seems to be on the Sldr bandwagon. I have seen a head I can get a hold of. I have a couple of R1 tips here. I know they fit the Sldr, but what difference is there in adjustability? Like the RAZR Fit bandwagon, and whatever it was before that....then before that, then....

Hatchman
21st December 2013, 10:18 PM
Played the SLDR with the stock Reg Speeder chopped one and a half inches. Std length stock shots were straight or fades. Stumpy length was straight or draws. Only other change was bump loft down from 10.5° to 10°.
Don't think there was any loss in length. Would need to do a side by side test for that.

Shane788
21st December 2013, 10:42 PM
First round with my 9.5 SLDR today, played a ad di 6s and an oban devotion 6 04, had no problem with height at all I think I would go 8.5* if I could trade, I thought the r1 v2 was good but this surprised me, I noticed a decent distance gain and the misses were nowhere near as bad, overall much happier with the SLDR, can't wait to get the 430cc.

matty
22nd December 2013, 04:12 PM
Hit two drives with the SLDR today and found it very hot off the face. Had the wrong shaft in it for me so didn't get a true picture.

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 09:12 AM
Anyone tried Tour AD BB in the SLDR?

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 09:14 AM
Id say Jadho would have as he has a BB.

benno_r
23rd December 2013, 09:26 AM
Id say Jadho would have as he has a BB.

Wouldn't Jado have tried everything, in everything?

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 09:37 AM
Not Necessarily, no.

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 09:37 AM
What a mesomorph on the juice uses doesn't relate to me though. Would like to know what shaft would suit an athletic middle aged ectomorph.

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 09:39 AM
Senior Flex of some sort?

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 09:52 AM
Well I am putting those 1 and 2 grams TM weights back that I just fished out for you.

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 10:03 AM
:smt090

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 11:03 AM
Was thinking of trying the Tour AD BB but the closest shaft in launch and spin on the Titleist fitting chart is the UST Proforce V2 66g which I already have. Will chuck a tip on it and see how it goes. The Tour AD range of shafts are too try hard poofy looking for my liking.

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 11:06 AM
Well if they are good enough for A.Scott.....

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 11:08 AM
We have similar swings;)

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 11:11 AM
We have similar swings;)

Thats exactly what I was thinking...
(do i get some TM weights now....)

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 11:45 AM
I got turned off selling weights on here after dealings with some peanut from Tassie.

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 11:47 AM
Well lets do it "out of" Ozgolf! ;)

Ferrins
23rd December 2013, 12:01 PM
As he told me they are readily available online for next to nothing.

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2013, 12:06 PM
Anyone hit the 430 yet?

Captain Nemo
23rd December 2013, 12:11 PM
As he told me they are readily available online for next to nothing.

Well thats BS!

JADO75
24th December 2013, 09:30 PM
Was thinking of trying the Tour AD BB but the closest shaft in launch and spin on the Titleist fitting chart is the UST Proforce V2 66g which I already have. Will chuck a tip on it and see how it goes. The Tour AD range of shafts are too try hard poofy looking for my liking.

I wouldn't take any notice of the Titleist chart, it's a furphy

Ferrins
26th December 2013, 05:06 PM
What shaft would be similar to the stock stiff SLDR offering?

mrbluu
26th December 2013, 06:21 PM
What shaft would be similar to the stock stiff SLDR offering? Another SLDR stock shaft ;)

Ferrins
26th December 2013, 07:25 PM
I knew that response was forthcoming :)

talbo
27th December 2013, 10:07 AM
So would the R1 be more forgiving than the 913D2?

JADO75
27th December 2013, 11:19 AM
What shaft would be similar to the stock stiff SLDR offering?

Maybe a vts in the 50 gram range?

Ferrins
27th December 2013, 11:47 AM
I like the stock shaft results wise just feels funny under load.

Shane788
27th December 2013, 04:02 PM
Another awesome round today with the SLDR ad di combo, I can't go on about this driver enough. I have never been more accurate with any driver. Ordering a 430cc in coming weeks.

3oneday
27th December 2013, 04:26 PM
Another awesome round today with the SLDR ad di combo, I can't go on about this driver enough. I have never been more accurate with any driver.

Ordering a 430cc in coming weeks.yep, makes perfect sense :)

Shane788
27th December 2013, 04:28 PM
My r1 v2 is better than the standard r1 so the 430cc sldr has to be better right? :D

Captain Nemo
27th December 2013, 04:35 PM
100%

Dotty
27th December 2013, 05:01 PM
100%
The 430cc would only be 93.478% of the 460cc.