PDA

View Full Version : Round times

Shortylook
5th September 2013, 05:21 PM
Probably on here before but just wanted to share a funny moment
Captain gives me a rev up couple days ago about a slow round that held him and his group all day. Finished our round in 4h 40m. Me and another guy are 20+ caps. Next day he takes almost 5 hours,hurls his wedge over the 18th green and storms in barking instructions after he finished his round. Not sure if i was in the right but I told him to get get lost(not exact words). 2 guys jumped up and did what he wanted. Then they got a blast for not putting beers away. Surely a captain of your club should conduct himself a bit better, good round or shit one.
Rant over

markTHEblake
5th September 2013, 05:23 PM
Despite his behaviour you got to be careful, if you abuse any member of the committee you could be up for a suspension. You need to either suck it in, or put in a complaint in writing.

Shortylook
5th September 2013, 05:30 PM
Despite his behaviour you got to be careful, if you abuse any member of the committee you could be up for a suspension. You need to either suck it in, or put in a complaint in writing.
Noted MTB, will just suck it up and laugh next time. I'm sure it will happen more than once the way I play.

wazandnic
5th September 2013, 06:10 PM
I have had a couple of instances at our club with the committe...

1/ Slow Play. One day we recieved a call about slow play, common at our club due to a couple of the finishing holes Par 3's with no call up and a bundy system that doesn't seem to work. i.e. you can be up the arse of a group all day and after the 17th a 200m par 3 with no call ups and then a 200m walk to the 18th tee if you are walking and the group in front are carting they can easily put a hole on you. I mentioned this to teh commitee member that called me and he agreed... it was a funny call.

2/ Another day similar thing we wait to hit our 2nd into the 10th hole. The group in front putt out jump in their carts and wizz to the 11th tee. Again about a 200m walk. We putt out and head to the 11th tee and they are on the green already. Captain and another member drive past in a cart, drinking their VB's and tell us we are falling behind and to get a hurry up!! Myself and another guy blew up at them stating how we had been up their arse all day how they need to monitor how the groups are going not to make brash comments AND how unprofessional it looked them drinking whilst marshalling. As it turned out we had the club Vice President in the group behind us. We ended up sprinting to make sure we caught up and by the end put 2 holes on him. I noticed in the results at the end of the day he got DQ'd :)

3/ Played one day with the Club President... didn't actually know he was the Club President... on the second hole he overshoots teh green and starts letting the expletives fly... he did it again on several more occasions thoughout the round plus threw his clubs at least 3 or 4 times... now I am one to let the odd "curse" go during a round and have been known to throw a club or two (usually just when playing with mates though) but in the end I just felt embarrased to play with this guy. It all culminated on the 18th when he hit his drive OB and threw his Driver 20m up the tee box. I teed up and waited for him to walk up the tee to get his driver then slink off to the side. I purposely waited and stared him until he was well out of the way, kind of letting him know I was flabbergasted by his actions. When I found out he was the President it just made it all worse. Apparently though everyone knows what he is like and most people try to avoid playing with him?! How does a guy like this get picked as Club President?!

Anyway just a couple of random dealings that spring to mind...

Shortylook
5th September 2013, 06:32 PM
I have had a couple of instances at our club with the committe...

1/ Slow Play. One day we recieved a call about slow play, common at our club due to a couple of the finishing holes Par 3's with no call up and a bundy system that doesn't seem to work. i.e. you can be up the arse of a group all day and after the 17th a 200m par 3 with no call ups and then a 200m walk to the 18th tee if you are walking and the group in front are carting they can easily put a hole on you. I mentioned this to teh commitee member that called me and he agreed... it was a funny call.

2/ Another day similar thing we wait to hit our 2nd into the 10th hole. The group in front putt out jump in their carts and wizz to the 11th tee. Again about a 200m walk. We putt out and head to the 11th tee and they are on the green already. Captain and another member drive past in a cart, drinking their VB's and tell us we are falling behind and to get a hurry up!! Myself and another guy blew up at them stating how we had been up their arse all day how they need to monitor how the groups are going not to make brash comments AND how unprofessional it looked them drinking whilst marshalling. As it turned out we had the club Vice President in the group behind us. We ended up sprinting to make sure we caught up and by the end put 2 holes on him. I noticed in the results at the end of the day he got DQ'd :)

3/ Played one day with the Club President... didn't actually know he was the Club President... on the second hole he overshoots teh green and starts letting the expletives fly... he did it again on several more occasions thoughout the round plus threw his clubs at least 3 or 4 times... now I am one to let the odd "curse" go during a round and have been known to throw a club or two (usually just when playing with mates though) but in the end I just felt embarrased to play with this guy. It all culminated on the 18th when he hit his drive OB and threw his Driver 20m up the tee box. I teed up and waited for him to walk up the tee to get his driver then slink off to the side. I purposely waited and stared him until he was well out of the way, kind of letting him know I was flabbergasted by his actions. When I found out he was the President it just made it all worse. Apparently though everyone knows what he is like and most people try to avoid playing with him?! How does a guy like this get picked as Club President?!

Anyway just a couple of random dealings that spring to mind...
Seems to happen everyone then, not just me

Pirelli
5th September 2013, 07:04 PM
4:40 is a very slow round at a club. If you were holding the field up he's right to have a go at you. Obviously his behaviour the next day is unacceptable too.

Shortylook
5th September 2013, 07:31 PM
4:40 is a very slow round at a club. If you were holding the field up he's right to have a go at you. Obviously his behaviour the next day is unacceptable too.
While i understand where your coming from I've been in a lot of groups that come in at most time around 5 hours, hence my amazement at him having a crack at me, and on more than 1 occasion he was in the group with me. I thought our time for the round was quite good for the quality of people in our group that day, but I might be wrong

WBennett
6th September 2013, 07:23 AM
4:40 is standard afternoon stroke field at the home track.

Monsta's group normally gets the first afternoon spot and runs through in 4 hours, then the next two groups are half an hour back!

golfbound
6th September 2013, 07:45 AM
members stoke comp at a course i played in Sydney a few weeks ago we were behind the club president we were the last group to tee off and un the back of the group infront the whole time, the total round took 5 hours 50 mins it was a joke waiting so much it wasnt funny.

Anyone else taken nearly 6 hours to play 18 holes

Daves
6th September 2013, 07:50 AM
I can't really "understand" how 4.40 rounds happen, but I know they do because that is how long our club comps now typically take. As I have pointed out to the Captain and others, when I joined the club in 2007, the same comps with bigger fields used to take about 4hrs 10/15 like clock work each week. The fields are made up of pretty much the same players now, so that tells me that the extra half hour is because they generally just don't "care" about pace of play or anyone else.

And the level of handicap doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it either. Some of our slowest groups are scratch markers/low single figure groups, though to be fair they do usually play at the end of the field. Unfortunately they don't change their pace of play when it is a shot gun start. And our rounds seem to take pretty much the same time, whether they are stableford or stroke events. Though there are a number of players I see ever Monthly Medal that really shouldn't be playing in these events!

And the lack of basic edict that a number of long term members display every week just mystifies me. And don't get me going about blind vain old farts who won't wear glasses, or use coloured balls etc. And then there is lack of call up whilst they search for the umpteenth time for their "lost" ball! I have picked up about half a dozen supposedly lost balls belonging to groups in front of us over the last few weeks, mostly in the fairway too (and nowhere near where they were searching!). On Wednesday, our score was 2 lost balls and 3 lost headcovers picked up for the group in front of us.

Captain Nemo
6th September 2013, 07:59 AM
Over 4.30 at our club and the group is DSQ'd, no exceptions....
We have a Bundy card, bundy after 9 & 18.
If your group finishes more than 15 mins after the previous group @ 18 your also DSQ'd....
Works a treat, speed up the old ****s who play early and **** it up for everyone else.
We also have a board member that drives around Marshalling.

BenM
6th September 2013, 08:02 AM
It is frustrating - I muttered some choice words last week when the group in front of us were a hole and a half behind the group in front at one point and absolutely oblivious. Leaving bags at front middle of green (actually did that on the first hole, so I knew it'd be slow from the off) and sauntering around with absolutely no sense of urgency. Think it took us 4:50 or something and it was single stab, waiting to hit off on 16 out of 18 tees.

We used to have marshals occasionally but nobody does it nowadays. Had a board member in our group so wonder if he'll do something...

Can't wait until monthly medal tomorrow. Suspect that'll be a fairly long day. Holden Scramble on Sunday too, also slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Monsta
6th September 2013, 09:42 AM
Nothing worse than slow play, as Spud mentioned, we are usually 1st group off in the afternoon and can complete any round in 4 hours, monthly medals included. We dont rush, we still chat and sledge, but we dont f**k around either. I hate seeing a group all walk down the middle of a fairway and then stand around while everyone hits instead of going too your own ball and getting ready to hit.

If the group in front is slow and falling behind, I will ask them politely to pick up the pace, if they dont I will ask again (not so politely the second time), after last years champs took over 5 hours per round, I suggested something like T mentioned about the bundy system but our committee doesnt have the balls to implement something like that "cause it will upset people"

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 09:58 AM
Sorry guys but what is the bundy system, I've never heard of it before.

bergsey
6th September 2013, 10:05 AM
Ours are around 4:20 regardless of format. 2 tee starts.

Lots of complaining but no course Marshall or bundy system. All the groups pretty much hold their spot in the field ok, it's like the whole lot slows down...

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 10:17 AM
Ours are around 4:20 regardless of format. 2 tee starts.

Lots of complaining but no course Marshall or bundy system. All the groups pretty much hold their spot in the field ok, it's like the whole lot slows down...

Your course will always struggle with the 1st as an opener. It is also not the easiest walk. 4.20 isn't bad at all.

Shorty, what club are you a member at?

When I first joined Kennedy Bay, the Captain introduced himself and told me I would be playing with him for my first comp round.

It was a little intimidating as I had never held a membership or played in a comp before. I figured I had to be on my best behavior.

I will never forget the feeling that came over me when good ol Cap'n Neil tomahawked his 4iron into the fairway, complete overhead woodchopping swings, 4 times before screaming every swear word known to man.

From that point on, I was never afraid to let out a good, old fashioned, f bomb, even if it got me reported by the old ladies in the Mandurah comp.

Monsta
6th September 2013, 10:31 AM
Sorry guys but what is the bundy system, I've never heard of it before.

Bundy system is where you need to "clock in" after you have completed either 9 or 18 holes (or both). The system was used in factories etc for workers to clock in and out for their shifts, the "clocks" were called bundy clocks hence the name

I suggested to our committee that because we have to enter our scores into the computer system, it wouldnt be that hard to have a limit set that cards need to be entered within 4hrs 20mins of tee time (20 mins is more than enough time to get from 18th to clubhouse). The first group that comes in over that timeframe is DQ'd. It wouldnt take long for people to start keeping an eye on the pace of play (it is my pet hate, cannot stand slow play)

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 10:37 AM
They use a different Bundy system at Bergsey's track. At his course, Irish members get drunk and beat up Saffas on tee blocks.

Yossarian
6th September 2013, 10:40 AM
Y
From that point on, I was never afraid to let out a good, old fashioned, f bomb, or be the slowest Ozgolfer in any field.

:twisted:

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2013, 10:44 AM
:twisted:

That is only because TommyG and Golfnut are PGN members who cannot enter most comps, bitch.

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 11:03 AM
Your course will always struggle with the 1st as an opener. It is also not the easiest walk. 4.20 isn't bad at all.

Shorty, what club are you a member at?

When I first joined Kennedy Bay, the Captain introduced himself and told me I would be playing with him for my first comp round.

It was a little intimidating as I had never held a membership or played in a comp before. I figured I had to be on my best behavior.

I will never forget the feeling that came over me when good ol Cap'n Neil tomahawked his 4iron into the fairway, complete overhead woodchopping swings, 4 times before screaming every swear word known to man.

From that point on, I was never afraid to let out a good, old fashioned, f bomb, even if it got me reported by the old ladies in the Mandurah comp.
I'm a member at Waroona,Very small membership lucky to get 15 each trophy day.its sort of like do as we say even if its kinda wrong type of club.but it's all we got so I try not to get too caught up in the political crud, sometimes it just gets to ya that's all. In hind site I guess the language towards the captain was petty and I should know better. Put it in the memory bank I guess.

BenM
6th September 2013, 11:09 AM
Forgot to mention they have started (or are about to start) printing times for each hole on the cards at our club I believe - so it knows what time you teed off and tells you how long you're expected to take to complete each hole/9/your round.

Good idea, but needs to be backed with some consequences otherwise people will just ignore it as they ignore pace of play expectations now. We already have a sign on the 8th tee saying it's expected to take an hour and a half (I think... might be a bit longer) to that point. Not sure people pay it any attention whatsoever!

Captain Nemo
6th September 2013, 11:13 AM
I'm a member at Waroona,Very small membership lucky to get 15 each trophy day.its sort of like do as we say even if its kinda wrong type of club.but it's all we got so I try not to get too caught up in the political crud, sometimes it just gets to ya that's all. In hind site I guess the language towards the captain was petty and I should know better. Put it in the memory bank I guess.
Wow small fields and 4.40+ hr rounds?
Thats crazy???

virge666
6th September 2013, 11:24 AM
I played elonora country club yesterday... Three hours and 40 minutes to play 18 holes off the tips...

Just awesome

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 11:25 AM
Wow small fields and 4.40+ hr rounds?
Thats crazy???
Yea it seems crazy,but the course isn't reticulated, sand greens and fairways like this is what it takes to make a 4.30+ round.

Captain Nemo
6th September 2013, 11:29 AM
I played elonora country club yesterday... Three hours and 40 minutes to play 18 holes off the tips...

Just awesome

Yep, how good is it there...
mil's uncle takes me for a round couple of times a year, pays for everything!!!

IanO
6th September 2013, 11:45 AM
Last weekend. We had a group of single figure golfers in front of us. We tee off at 7:28 am and walk to our balls. We are standing there waiting for the green to clear so that we can hit into the Par 4. These guys take 10 min to putt out looking at every putt from every angle (Stableford round mind you). Guys on the Tee behind us start yelling at us to hurry up.

These guys were a hole behind after 2 holes and 2 behind after 4. We spent all day waiting. Was a 4 hr 40 round that is normally 4 hrs - 4hr 15.

It turns out these guys are well known for being slow but as they are normally the last group out in the morning they don't slow anyone up. The Pro Shop only had the (female) apprentice working on the day as the other guys were all away. She said that she never had the opportunity to go around and speed the field up so could do nothing about it.

Craig_Syd
6th September 2013, 12:37 PM

Just awesome

How were the greens?

-FIGJAM-
6th September 2013, 12:45 PM
played @ The Ridge on Sunday, front 9 took us 3 hours to get through due to the two groups in front.

back 9 was about 2 hours

Waddzy
6th September 2013, 12:53 PM
Im no longer going to complain about 4 hr 15 min rounds at my club ... 5 hours is a joke.. I also find being in a group of all lower markers can be painful at times.. tee to green is fast but some people wait until its their turn to actually putt before checking a line..

virge666
6th September 2013, 12:58 PM
How were the greens?

Just cored so a little fluffy..

The rest of the course is just amazing...

wazandnic
6th September 2013, 02:01 PM
played @ The Ridge on Sunday, front 9 took us 3 hours to get through due to the two groups in front.

back 9 was about 2 hours

Yep unfortunately common out there as only social golfers a lot of who are prob 3-4 game a year players and don't have any regard (or prob more so understanding) of fast play. We played there one day as a group of five in carts waiting on every shot behind a group of 3 and it took us 6 hours!! Waited on every shot.

Another time there we were first groups off (2x groups of 4, in carts) the pros badgered us about being first groups off setting the pace for the day etc. etc. we told them not to worry. We finished in 3hrs 40mins. The groups following were 4 holes behind!!!

Hatchman
6th September 2013, 08:00 PM
Very few people are educated on how to play quicker.
It was one thing that was drummed into all new members by the more experienced when I was at Berri. It's something I've seen lacking at other clubs I've played at.
The most obvious being if your going to be first to play next, be the first to get to your ball not the last.

Longest round I've had to endure was 5hrs 20min in a SAGA Open day at Grange. We were all accustomed to usually taking around 3:45min-4:15min to play. Gee that was a long tiresome day. Never entered another SAGA open day unless we got a morning tee slot.

Most recently I had problems with a very slow player in the 36 hole Vardon event on a 38° degree day. The guy off 1 was sooo damb slow. At one point the group had got a hole and half in front on the front 9 and he mad comment gee they're playing quick. Myself and the other guy said no we are slow in unison (code for no your slow). We both said we needed to pick up the pace but sadly this didn't change his pace of play. Two of our games suffered as we were trying to rush to drag the snail along. Both 18's we ended up 2 1/2 hole behind. I think these rounds would have pushed 4:30mins in 3's.

rubin
6th September 2013, 08:18 PM
The longest rounds I have played have actually been at secret Harbour, but the distance between green and the next tee is probably the biggest factor in that. There are a few we're there is almost 100m between them.

Having said that, the slowest I have been there is 5hrs. Normally quicker, but also normally off quite early.

The slowest I have been in is a 6hr plus round at KB. Stroke round, off the tips. Was also the day that some old bloke was cracking it at me cause I was walking ahead to my ball, instead of waiting in line with the ball to be played.

IMO it's quite easy to play quickly, or at least keep up. Play a provisional if there is any doubt, walk straight to your ball, look for no more than 5mins, and keep an eye out to where ur ball is going. Not rocket science.

BenM
6th September 2013, 09:04 PM
IMO it's quite easy to play quickly, or at least keep up. Play a provisional if there is any doubt, walk straight to your ball, look for no more than 5mins, and keep an eye out to where ur ball is going. Not rocket science.

Exactly. I think walking to your ball quickly, and being prepared to go ahead and find your ball while others are hitting (where possible/reasonable) is one of the biggest things. I see so many people wandering around in groups being social and not actually walking straight to their ball. People probably think I'm a bit of a snob because often I'll push off and walk in front of them on my own trying to set the pace, I'm all for being social but also want to get through at a good pace. The quicker you walk between shots the more time you can take over your shot (again, within reason).

Dotty
6th September 2013, 09:31 PM
Like BenM, I'll walk straight to my ball, but have found a way to make it more friendly. If the group ahead are out of range, I'll hit my ball and then assist looking for a fellow competitor's ball.

If I can't hit, then I'll leave my buggy beside my ball (so the following group don't hit up on us) and go over to look for the missing ball (and assist with any interpretation of the rules, esp. regarding GUR, paths, etc.).

I always suggest someone play a provisional tee shot, if there is a chance of it being lost outside a hazard. (Or mention a 'provisional' tee shot for a ball lost in a hazard, will mean that they forfeit playing the original or dropping where it crossed the hazard line.)

I also don't have a pre-shot routine, to such a degree that many get shocked by the sound of metal on urethane, whilst they are in mid-sentence.

BenM
6th September 2013, 09:35 PM
I also don't have a pre-shot routine, to such a degree that many get shocked by the sound of metal on urethane, whilst they are in mid-sentence.

I know a few guys like that at our club - just walk up and hit it, pretty much. I've been caught out a few times talking while they hit and had to apologise! They are all good blokes and never care, and it is always fun to play with people like that, you never have to wait for them.

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 10:58 PM
I know a few guys like that at our club - just walk up and hit it, pretty much. I've been caught out a few times talking while they hit and had to apologise! They are all good blokes and never care, and it is always fun to play with people like that, you never have to wait for them.
Double reply Benny and Dotty.
I try and hit and find my ball ASAP, then help look for others too. I walk every time I play, but find I'm with guys who are in carts 90% of the time. I have had on the odd occasion someone tap me and say" it's not in the spirit of the game to not help look for a lost ball" even though they are 50 meters in front of me in their carts. It's a no win situation where I am. One hole it's ready golf as they wiped their hole and they hit when they want, then the hole next they par and its ive got the honor, and stare. You down as your ready and they are still in the cart. Most times I just wait and hit last, best or worst score. I can't keep up lol.

rubin
6th September 2013, 11:15 PM
Best way to go shorty, call it on the first, or as your just walking off. I will normally go the honour on the first (I.e first to last in cap progression), but will also normally let them know I'm playing ready golf. Unless someone objects (no one has yet), play that way.

And it may sound arrogant. But if my ball is well ahead of where your looking for yours, that's where I'm going first. Once I know what I'm doing, I'll come back and help you out.

Shortylook
6th September 2013, 11:55 PM
Best way to go shorty, call it on the first, or as your just walking off. I will normally go the honour on the first (I.e first to last in cap progression), but will also normally let them know I'm playing ready golf. Unless someone objects (no one has yet), play that way.

And it may sound arrogant. But if my ball is well ahead of where your looking for yours, that's where I'm going first. Once I know what I'm doing, I'll come back and help you out.
Rubes, I know where your coming from, just the old( more mature) fellows in my club dont like it either way unless it suits them. I have trouble playing a good round every time without having to worry about who is first and last, hence ill say at the start ill go last either way. This seems to make them happy and suits me, unless I win scrounges( a massive 2 balls for a prize) and they grumble a bit. Funny club if you play shittieer than them up they are happy, if you smoke it they are off you until next week. Ha ha very clicky bunch to what I'm used too

bergsey
7th September 2013, 12:08 AM
Very few people are educated on how to play quicker.It was one thing that was drummed into all new members by the more experienced when I was at Berri. It's something I've seen lacking at other clubs I've played at.I was also lucky enough to play with some long time members initially who showed me tips like 2 of the group going to tee off if you are behind while the other 2 putt out. Had to do this a couple of times last Saturday as the group in front were in carts and could put some distance between us quickly once they teed off....Most wouldn't think of things like this if not shown, others fear that it is poor etiquette including things like hitting out of turn on the tee.. fire hen ready!

Yossarian
7th September 2013, 08:27 AM
And it may sound arrogant. But if my ball is 50 metres deeper in the kack, that's where I'm going first. Once I know what I'm doing, I'll come back and help you out.

EFA.

Jackson
7th September 2013, 12:27 PM
I was also lucky enough to play with some long time members initially who showed me tips like 2 of the group going to tee off if you are behind while the other 2 putt out. Had to do this a couple of times last Saturday as the group in front were in carts and could put some distance between us quickly once they teed off....Most wouldn't think of things like this if not shown, others fear that it is poor etiquette including things like hitting out of turn on the tee.. fire hen ready!

Thats a good one, I've never thought of doing that to make up time.

androooo
11th September 2013, 06:28 PM
I can remember having a 6 hour round in an event...

Australian Open qualifying at Kogarah... It was raining... It was blowing. Ugly.

6 par 5's makes for a very long day for better golfers.... some waiting for greens to clear, some laying up. Took over a hour to play the first 2 holes, both par 5's.

On a side note, a mate and I played 18 holes last Tuesday in 2:45... and we weren't rushing. There was money on the line! ;)

Captain Nemo
11th September 2013, 07:14 PM
Pity they didn't have the Bundy clock running....
;)

popper81
11th September 2013, 08:48 PM
What is the Bundy Clock?

Captain Nemo
11th September 2013, 08:56 PM
Clock that's covered in Bundy stickers....

3Puttpete
11th September 2013, 09:42 PM
What is the Bundy Clock?

Ye olden days punch card thing?

Captain Nemo
11th September 2013, 09:43 PM
Ye olden days punch card thing?
Yep, exactly.

aym
11th September 2013, 09:48 PM
When you say he had a go, was it a rude had a go or just a reminder?

Shortylook
12th September 2013, 11:23 AM
When you say he had a go, was it a rude had a go or just a reminder?
It was a F bomb filled crack. Now there licking my hole because the fairways need marking and no one else will do them cause its like a 20 km walking job. Ha

aym
12th September 2013, 12:10 PM
what a dick head then... I would have gave it back, I would probably have said sorry for the slow play first, and then tell him where to go, and if I can be bothered write a open letter to the local news paper and the committee... Have no time for disrespectful people like that.

Shortylook
12th September 2013, 12:37 PM
what a dick head then... I would have gave it back, I would probably have said sorry for the slow play first, and then tell him where to go, and if I can be bothered write a open letter to the local news paper and the committee... Have no time for disrespectful people like that.
I'm going to try another way, get on committee and out vote all the stupid crap. With a bit of luck