PDA

View Full Version : Cracked windscreen - dangerous or not?

Peppas
4th September 2013, 08:54 PM
I've got a crack in my windscreen again. I just had it replaced a bit over a year ago grr. So I've always been under the impression that cracks in your windscrens are dangerous but on doing some internet searching this evening it doesn't seem to be as dangerous as I thought? Anyone have an opinion on this?

It might be a bit of remorse, I had intended to drive out to pick up my Amp Cell driver this evening and noticed the crack when I got back to my car after work. Hadn't noticed a thing this morning so I am guessing it expanded during the day in the sun, I do remember something hitting my car on Tuesday evening but didn't think much of it. So because of this I decided to just drive straight home rather than extend my drive and pick up the driver :( Now I am searching the internets to be better informed incase this ever happens again.

mike
4th September 2013, 09:00 PM
Not dangerous at all. Modern windscreens are laminated so it could have a network of cracks and would never collapse or shatter.

mike
4th September 2013, 09:02 PM
Cops will tell you to replace it though.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:04 PM
Damn why didn't I go pick up my new driver then!?

Non-pickup regret at the moment :(

oncewasagolfer
4th September 2013, 09:12 PM
How long is the crack you might be able to get it repaired by one of those windscreen mobs? I've had stone chips done before.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:19 PM
How long is the crack you might be able to get it repaired by one of those windscreen mobs? I've had stone chips done before.

Nah this will be a windscreen replacement job I think. It's about 20cm long directly in front of me and goes to the edge of my windscreen...

oncewasagolfer
4th September 2013, 09:20 PM
That's too bad mate.

Steve57
4th September 2013, 09:23 PM
If it goes to the edge of the screen, they will not attempt to fix it as there is too much movement and no guarantee that a fix will work.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm more pissed about not going out to get my new driver

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:27 PM
If it goes to the edge of the srceen, they will not attempt to fix it as there is too much movement and no guarantee that a fix will work.

Yeah thats what I had last time I had to get my windscreen replaced last year...

Courty
4th September 2013, 09:34 PM
I believe that if the cracks are in your direct line of vision then it is considered unsafe & therefore unroadworthy (in QLD anyway).

Pirelli
4th September 2013, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised. I thought any crack made it unroadworthy?

mike
4th September 2013, 09:47 PM
Cracks are unroadworthy but imo not dangerous. Unless it impedes your vision of course. that's for you to determine peppas but the cops WILL eventually pull you up on it.

fwiw I hold a Qld roadworthy licence and I knock them back for the smallest of blemishes.

BenM
4th September 2013, 09:50 PM
Not dangerous, unless they make it hard to see, but will definitely attract a cop's attention and a defect if you're unlucky.

Got windscreen cover? I've had it with 2 different insurers - it only added about $30 to $50 per year to my policy, and I've had a few windscreens replaced for nicks (you get one every 12 months) so I'm well in front.

Johnny Canuck
4th September 2013, 09:51 PM
It is nowhere near as dangerous as golfing with a sore calf. No need to be cautious about this one.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:53 PM
Not dangerous, unless they make it hard to see, but will definitely attract a cop's attention and a defect if you're unlucky.

Got windscreen cover? I've had it with 2 different insurers - it only added about $30 to $50 per year to my policy, and I've had a few windscreens replaced for nicks (you get one every 12 months) so I'm well in front.

It is in my line of view but it doesn't make it hard to see, it's lowish down, not really in my main field of vision.

Yes, I have heard of windscreen cover and I am a D**K for not getting it when I did my insurance again this year. I guess I thought after getting my windscreen replaced last year it couldn't happen again....

ozdevil
4th September 2013, 09:54 PM
I believe that if the cracks are in your direct line of vision then it is considered unsafe & therefore unroadworthy (in QLD anyway).

couldnt agree more with this statement..

any crack or stone chip in your driving vision (meaning when you are driving forward and you are looking straight in front of you)

will not be repaired and you will have to replace the window

peppa's

just get it replaced for your own peace and mind and safety

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:54 PM
It is nowhere near as dangerous as golfing with a sore calf. No need to be cautious about this one.

You gotta get on the fish oil!!!

Peppas
4th September 2013, 09:55 PM
Don't worry guys, I will be getting it replaced in the next few days, just wondered how dangerous it was. Hopefully the cops don't pull me up on it tomorrow driving it to work, I'll probably get it replaced on Friday...

Johnny Canuck
4th September 2013, 10:00 PM
When I was younger, I drove with a fully cracked one for a year, easy. If it can make it through a Canadian winter, you should be fine in the harsh QLD climate.

Toolish
4th September 2013, 10:01 PM
As said above, not dangerous, just unroadworthy. Even an old windscreen that has been 'sandblasted' over a few years can be deemed unroadworthy.

Going through uni I had 3 massive cracks in my windscreen for over 2 years. Actually had a few breath tests with them there and the cops didn't say anything.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 10:01 PM
When I was younger, I drove with a fully cracked one for a year, easy. If it can make it through a Canadian winter, you should be fine in the harsh QLD climate.

Even better im in a coastal NSW climate south of Sydney :)

Johnny Canuck
4th September 2013, 10:04 PM
Even better im in a coastal NSW climate south of Sydney :)

This is the part where I confess that I am wired on cold & flu tablets and scotch and didn't realise that I wasn't talking to Popper until after my initial reply.

Peppas
4th September 2013, 10:06 PM
This is the part where I confess that I am wired on cold & flu tablets and scotch and didn't realise that I wasn't talking to Popper until after my initial reply.

Ouch.... just ouch.

Johnny Canuck
4th September 2013, 10:15 PM
Ouch.... just ouch.

I need an "Ask Lobby" thread to find out how far I can go with this.

BrisWesty
5th September 2013, 07:47 AM
Had one replaced last year, and the following week got a stone chip in the passenger edge of the screen which extended in the next hour all the way to the bottom of the screen. Not happy Jan.

Haven't replaced it since.

Peppas
5th September 2013, 08:13 AM
Had one replaced last year, and the following week got a stone chip in the passenger edge of the screen which extended in the next hour all the way to the bottom of the screen. Not happy Jan.

Haven't replaced it since.

Has the crack got any bigger????

live4golf
5th September 2013, 08:31 AM
don't worry about it Peppas, it's not like you look where you're going anyway.

:)

Peppas
5th September 2013, 08:37 AM
don't worry about it Peppas, it's not like you look where you're going anyway.

:)

Woah you can't relate how I drive a golf cart to how I drive a car :)

popper81
5th September 2013, 12:29 PM

Playing golf with a sore calf is almost life threatening... Scary stuff.

BrisWesty
5th September 2013, 01:28 PM
Has the crack got any bigger????

It can't. It starts at the side edge of the windscreen and finishes at the bottom edge of the windscreen.

The first one that caused the replacement was only a little crack and nowhere near as big as the current one, but two days after the windscreen guy had been scheduled to fix it and DIDN'T TURN UP, it decided to expand to the point where replacement was the only option.

Peppas
5th September 2013, 01:30 PM
It can't. It starts at the side edge of the windscreen and finishes at the bottom edge of the windscreen.

The first one that caused the replacement was only a little crack and nowhere near as big as the current one, but two days after the windscreen guy had been scheduled to fix it and DIDN'T TURN UP, it decided to expand to the point where replacement was the only option.

Nice one... I will see what mine looks like when I get back to my car this afternoon. It is parked outside so I daresay it will be a little bigger. Mine is going straight horizontal so unless it takes a bend towards a side, it won't stop until it gets all the way across :)

mrbluu
5th September 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm more pissed about not going out to get my new driver

I didn't even read this thread, I could have picked up your driver today....it get's worse for you!!!

Peppas
5th September 2013, 05:45 PM
I didn't even read this thread, I could have picked up your driver today....it get's worse for you!!!

Nah all good, I knocked off work earlyish and made my way to Blacktown and got it. I have it now... happy days!!! At least until I hit it :)