PDA

View Full Version : What to do when undergoing swing changes ??

Pinglauncher
7th January 2006, 10:55 PM
After being unhappy with my game for quite a while I have decided on a full lesson programme with some set goals for 6 mths and 12 mths etc. 2 lessons in and quite a bit of practice (thanks to daylight saving) with things slowly starting to feel a bit settled. Ball striking on the range and out on the course over the last week had been unlike anything I have ever experienced with both myself and the pro very happy.

I played Macarthur Grange this morning and apart from maybe half a dozen swings all day that felt like the "new swing" the results were absolutely horrendous. Swings and results that I have not seen or felt for 12 months or more cropped up and it was pretty scary. I know the changes will take a while to bed down and for me to feel comfortable with and I am sure things will get worse before better.

For those of you who have either gone through / going through changes is it wise to continue playing comps on a regular basis or take some time away and work on the practice.

peter_rs
7th January 2006, 11:12 PM
I was doing this last year.

I tried not to play to much comp. Once a month just to test the swing

keep playing social golf as its good change to practise but try to play with the swing you bring to the course on the day..... dont work on your swing during the round.

my2 cents

markTHEblake
7th January 2006, 11:15 PM
It takes the 10 P's to get swing changes to work.
Patience, Practice,Patience, Practice,Patience, Practice,Patience, Practice,Patience, Practice.

By the way love the avatar.

AndyP
7th January 2006, 11:19 PM
I have been going through a swing change, and still play plenty of comp golf. Don't know whether it is good for my game or not, but I much prefer time out on the course to time on the range.

peter_rs
7th January 2006, 11:35 PM
Your pro probably told you that the changes would happen quicker if u didn't play on course at all.

because on course you can fall back to your old swing.

If you enjoy playing do it just don't expect to much and stick with it.

AndyP
7th January 2006, 11:58 PM
Pro?

Are you talking to me?

Grunt
8th January 2006, 07:19 AM
I found playing was ok as long as I realised that I had to make sure I wasn't forgetting the keys to the new swing and swingingthe way I should be. It took me quite a while to get the new swing in more shots than the old one.
I am about to embark on more lessons to keep the handicap going in the right direction.

Jono
8th January 2006, 10:31 PM
Pinglauncher,

I'm going through swing changes at the moment as well. I wouldn't turn away from regular comp games because of it. For the time being, don't worry too much about your scores though. Just focus on your swing and take plenty of practise swings between shots whilst you are waiting for your turn. Regular comp rounds can be an excellent indication of how you are going with the swing changes and how they are standing up in pressure situations. I guess range sessions between the comp rounds are important, and also keep a video of your swing once a month or so. It's amazing to see how little things have changed on video when you FEEL that your swing is very different. That's been my experience so far anyway.

BTW, do you mind if I ask you what your pro has you working on?

BrisVegas
9th January 2006, 09:21 AM
I guess range sessions between the comp rounds are important, and also keep a video of your swing once a month or so. It's amazing to see how little things have changed on video when you FEEL that your swing is very different.  That's been my experience so far anyway.

Good point Jono. Every time I've ever tried to change anything, I get into the zone with the new "thought" or "move" and i'm thinking, "yeah I'm looking like Ernie Els now baby!!"... only to see it on video and find that Furyk has gotten on the screen somehow??? :oops: :lol:

Eag's
9th January 2006, 09:49 AM
Good point Jono. Every time I've ever tried to change anything, I get into the zone with the new "thought" or "move" and i'm thinking, "yeah I'm looking like Ernie Els now baby!!"... only to see it on video and find that Furyk has gotten on the screen somehow??? Embarassed Laughing

Dion, it dosen't matter what your swing looks like as long as you can get the club back to square consistantly. You do this very well and with little or no practise 8)

shavey
9th January 2006, 11:59 PM
Biggest thing to remember is to differentiate between practice and playing.

When you are playing, DON'T work on your new swing but rather let it happen. Practice the swing changes on the range and you will see improvements alot quicker.

I have also found that just thinking about what you are trying to do (without a club) when away from the range will improve your mental approach.

Stick with it...