PDA

View Full Version : Making the most of golf net practice

benno_r
2nd September 2013, 06:25 PM
I have been lucky enough that my new job has golf nets located in the accomodation camp.

What is the most efeective practice drills to get the most out of hitting a ball with no flight?

Cheers,
Ben

Captain Nemo
2nd September 2013, 06:40 PM
Hit balls into them.

Lagerlover
2nd September 2013, 06:45 PM
Hit balls into them.

Those poles on the sides do come into play.

benno_r
2nd September 2013, 06:48 PM
Is it that simple? lol

I can randomly hit balls anywhere, anytime - but what can I do to ensure the balls I hit into them are good balls? I want to practice well, not just ingrain more bad habits...

Cheers,
Ben

BenM
2nd September 2013, 07:20 PM
It's really hard given you can't see where the ball goes to be sure. I would do what I do in my warmup which is to try and hit lots of different shots - low cuts, high draws, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GuyIncognito
2nd September 2013, 10:50 PM
have been thinking about this too, no range at my home track only nets, i seem to just mindlessly hit fifteen or so five irons and think thats good enough each morning...

if anyone has a routine or something that they think works well i'd be interested to hear it...

Badzyy
3rd September 2013, 12:00 AM
Whatever you do don't hit at the net with a partner, done this in my backyard years ago, friend's shot lifted the
net up my ball goes under the net, bounces off the brick wall, comes back and hits me in the guts...was quite painful :(

But more to the point you need to have some idea on what you want to work on with your swing and just
concentrate on that. No point mindlessly hitting balls even if it is just to warm up before a round.

spanner039
3rd September 2013, 05:58 AM
Get one of those swing thingos Golf sense, swingbyte or any of the others, good for effective net practice

benno_r
3rd September 2013, 06:10 AM
Good point Spanner, got a swingtip floating around somewhere.

Toolish
3rd September 2013, 08:08 AM
Go and have a lesson or take some video and post it here, pick up what needs to be fixed in YOUR swing and work on that technically into the net.

Not seeing the ball flight can be helpful as when you are working through a change the ball flight can be discouraging until you get rid of the other compensations that are in your swing.

If you can't do that, hit a lit of half swings and 3/4 swings focussing on getting good solid contact and the feeling of that.

benno_r
3rd September 2013, 08:34 AM
I have had a few lessons, and know what I need to work on, but without seeing ball flight I dont know if they are working. My main problems were over the top (mostly fixed), and a too late release (still working on). At the range I know if I have it or not, as I can watch for the telltale flight.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2013, 08:35 AM
I was only taking the piss earlier.
Although i dont use mine as often as i should its great for just fine tuning your swing.
I used to do alot of just hitting balls just concentrating on hand/wrist arm positons with 1/2-3/4 swings
Also just simple little pitch chots, just to groove the feel.
****, no wonder mygolf is up to shit, i should get back into the net!

mrbluu
3rd September 2013, 09:07 AM
One tip I was given previously was to place a shaft about 1m in front of your ball aimed at your intended line. It gives you feedback of where you are start the ball.

Toolish
3rd September 2013, 03:20 PM
I have had a few lessons, and know what I need to work on, but without seeing ball flight I dont know if they are working. My main problems were over the top (mostly fixed), and a too late release (still working on). At the range I know if I have it or not, as I can watch for the telltale flight.

If ott is a problem grab a 6 x 4 or similar (even a cushion or something is a bit softer) and sit it about an inch outside the ball parallel to the target line. If you hit it you went over the top. Don't need the ball flight for that one.

Not sure what you mean by too late of a release, do you mean your hand are not rolling over so you are slicing it?

benno_r
3rd September 2013, 03:28 PM
Cheers Toolish,

Mostly small pushes now with the occasional push slice. Maybe 1 out of 4 will be straight/ light draw.

If I remember my lesson, he might have said I was holding off the club too long.

I have also been working on getting my hips moving earlier, if I can get them going, I seem to able to release the club quite well...

OTT only comes in now when I get a little tired and fall into bad habits...

Pirelli
3rd September 2013, 09:25 PM
Just work on contact and compressing the ball.

markTHEblake
3rd September 2013, 09:36 PM
You are right, whilst most golfers will have some idea where the ball has gone even if they did not see it, there will be varying degrees of error, I think the average golfer wouldnt have a clue if his 7 irons were finising 10m right of target, even if he was flushing them.

I think with nets you are just going to have to work on a specific drill to nail down something, and be less focused on ball flights. At some point you are going to have to 'calibrate' your senses, by hitting some real balls into the bush, or get yourself some Birdie Balls (http://www.birdieball.com.au/). I wouldnt like to be hitting in nets daily for a month and then hitting the golf course.

popper81
3rd September 2013, 09:42 PM
You are right, whilst most golfers will have some idea where the ball has gone even if they did not see it, there will be varying degrees of error, I think the average golfer wouldnt have a clue if his 7 irons were finising 10m right of target, even if he was flushing them.

I think with nets you are just going to have to work on a specific drill to nail down something, and be less focused on ball flights. At some point you are going to have to 'calibrate' your senses, by hitting some real balls into the bush, or get yourself some Birdie Balls (http://www.birdieball.com.au/). I wouldnt like to be hitting in nets daily for a month and then hitting the golf course.

I think Blakey has hit the nail on the head.

Net practice is better than no practice, but only just ;)

Hatchman
5th September 2013, 01:04 PM
I can see the up side of using one of those swing tip devices and hitting balls into a net.
Impact on the ball gives you the feel feedback and the device will give you feed back on what your doing re: swing.