PDA

View Full Version : 2006 NSW matchplay - final nominations

jimandr
7th January 2006, 05:48 PM
The rulers of OzGolf have given their blessing for us NSW players to make our own event happen.

I'll kick things off by getting the players together.  I'm fairly sure we have 13 definite starters.  Can I ask those persons to click the registration button to make it official.

The people we haven't seen or heard from will get a PM from me today.  My view is that anyone who nominates by 1 February is in, and we'll do a draw on that day, based on last year's money list.  

We already know that the nominal number 1 seed, Trung, will not be playing, which is a shame.

Particularly in the early stages we need to be tolerant of those who are unavailable for parts of the year, such as Miro and Mrs Miro and BradW.  There is plenty of time to go before we need to get the first round or two out of the way.  

I think we should follow The Rules as set down in the other Matchplay thread, and refer any disputes to Mark the Blake or AndyP for their opinion.

Matchplay is just about the best fun you can have on a golf course in the daytime.  Let's do it again, bigger and better than last year.

Jono
7th January 2006, 07:58 PM
I say stuff the rankings, and let me play Vince in the first round. Let me at 'im, let me at 'im. (Grrrrr ....) :lol:

Grunt
8th January 2006, 06:31 AM
Jono, you are starting to sound like a broken record about this. Build a bridge and get over the fact you were like I and were knocked out in the 1st round last year. Vince (virgil) made the final. Let the guys organising this set the draw and do what it takes to make the final after that, ie. winning the 1st round match is a start
In my opinion the rankings should go on the the matchplay results from last year and the moneylist rankings that came from money that the players earnt in NSW ozgolf days excluding the champs as not all can travel up to them. That way those that played in the matchplay final would be closer to the top of the rankings.

Matt 3 Jab
8th January 2006, 06:47 AM
i want to be in, but i guess ill be ranked last because i havent played many ozgolf events, but i dont mind, ill play whoever

Jono
8th January 2006, 07:05 AM
Jono, you are starting to sound like a broken record about this. Build a bridge and get over the fact you were like I and were knocked out in the 1st round last year. Vince (virgil) made the final. Let the guys organising this set the draw and do what it takes to make the final after that, ie. winning the 1st round match is a start
In my opinion the rankings should go on the the matchplay results from last year and the moneylist rankings that came from money that the players earnt in NSW ozgolf days excluding the champs as not all can travel up to them. That way those that played in the matchplay final would be closer to the top of the rankings.

Hmmm ... perhaps I should have used more smiley faces ...  :roll:

My post was a light hearted jab (why else would I be quoting Scrappy Doo? :lol: ) directed at Vince who volunteered (in another thread) to take up Trung's position as my sparring partner.  For the record, I don't really care who I play in the first round, or if I loose 6 and 5 again, as long as I have fun ... Mind you, losing 6 and 5 is not that much fun ...  :wink:

Having said that, it would be good to play Vince in the first round, not because he was the runner-up last year, but because I don't have to worry about him taking my comments so seriously ...  8)

Grunt
8th January 2006, 07:15 AM
i guess it was my mistake jono but I seem to remember you saying it at the table yesterday too.

3oneday
8th January 2006, 07:20 AM
i guess it was my mistake jono but I seem to remember you saying it at the table yesterday too.he rabbits on a bit though Grant... usually not too much of it makes sense these days :? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Jono
8th January 2006, 08:23 AM
i guess it was my mistake jono but I seem to remember you saying it at the table yesterday too.

Yep, and I was being dead serious then too ... :roll: :lol:

As I said, it would be nice to play Vince in the first round, not because I think it will give me better chance of winning or whatever, but more because of entertainment/sledging value. However, in the end, I don't really care who I play in the first round. So, I will do a 3oneday on this matter and just :-#

Fishman Dan
8th January 2006, 09:18 AM
How are seedings determined? I say forget seedings, draw them from a hat and be done with it. Last year i think they were determined by the OzGolf money list.

When do noms close for the matchplay?

jimandr
10th January 2006, 08:56 PM
Dan,

I'm going to make the deadline 1 February. If we get 16 before then, and don't look like getting any more, then we'll start early.

While I'm aware there are differing views on the seedings, I think we should do whatever the Queenslanders do, just to make it a uniform process. If they make last year's finalists 1 and 2 seeds, then all well and good. If they follow the 2005 money list, that's what we should do.

No matter which way we go, the only way Jono and Virgal will play each other is if they win a round or two first.

For us, seedings mean nothing unless there is a forfeit. There is no advantage in being number 1 seed, it certainly doesn't mean that person is a stronger player than number 16. It is simply a way of structuring the draw.

Just for the benefit of those who didn't play last year, you don't need to play well to win this thing. I won last year, and didn't play to my handicap in any of my four games (35 points, 30, 34 and 29 from memory). Some matchplay skill may help, but with our lack of consistency, catching people on a bad day seems as important as any other factor.

I'm sending PM's away today to Andrew, Coffs Hacker, Burger, Zipptopp, and Miro (more to clarify the period the Miro's will be away. I reckon they should be allowed to play even if they are away until Easter).

Trung
10th January 2006, 10:05 PM
I want to play... Give me Jono first round so I can kick his a*se.

Jono
10th January 2006, 11:35 PM

Them's pretty big words from a recent wooden spooner ... :wink:

I thought you were heading for the States soon. Anyway, I'm happy to play Trung in the first round. Jim?

TS
10th January 2006, 11:40 PM

Them's pretty big words from a recent wooden spooner ... :wink:

I thought you were heading for the States soon. Anyway, I'm happy to play Trung in the first round. Jim?

That won't be work. Trungie will win the round and then gone off to the State, and someone will get a bye in the second round.

Jono
11th January 2006, 12:58 AM
Hey Trungy, why don't you come to the Long Reef game on the 22nd? We can play our match and Tony can caddie for you and kiss your ar$e at the same time. 8)

3oneday
11th January 2006, 03:28 AM
Hey Trungy, why don't you come to the Long Reef game on the 22nd?  We can play our match and Tony can caddie for you and kiss your ar$e at the same time.  8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trung
11th January 2006, 06:52 AM
Hey Trungy, why don't you come to the Long Reef game on the 22nd?  We can play our match and Tony can caddie for you and kiss your ar$e at the same time.  8)

tee time is too late. I can play if before 8.30am.... Grant is interested in the late tee time so I will leave it.

Virgal_Tracy
11th January 2006, 07:44 AM
How much fun is this going to be. And I don't mean the golf. I really didn't think anyone on this site took what anyone else said seriously, but lately there seems to be a bit of feeling or misunderstanding in some of the threads.

Jono, I don't take anything you say seriously. Just look at the comments about the R7 and then you pull out a Cobra 2 rounds later. Like everyone else I don't really care how the seedings are done. I was just using this as a chance to remind everyone that Jono lost 6&5 in the 1st round last year.

Did I mention Jono lost 6&5 in the 1st round last year.I'll play regardless of whether I am seeded 1,2 16th or anywhere in between.

I just hope that like last year we get to play some great courses that I haven't played before.

3oneday
11th January 2006, 07:48 AM
How much fun is this going to be. And I don't mean the golf. I really didn't think anyone on this site took what anyone else said seriously, but lately there seems to be a bit of feeling or misunderstanding in some of the threads.

Jono, I don't take anything you say seriously. Just look at the comments about the R7 and then you pull out a Cobra 2 rounds later. Like everyone else I don't really care how the seedings are done. I was just using this as a chance to remind everyone that Jono lost 6&5 in the 1st round last year.

Did I mention Jono lost 6&5 in the 1st round last year.I'll play regardless of whether I am seeded 1,2 16th or anywhere in between.

I just hope that like last year we get to play some great courses that I haven't played before.Vince, after Jono lost last year he went on this spree of playing everyone matchplay. What I would like to see is what the stats for the year read like... was there a win in there somewhere or did I shatter him for the year :P :wink:

The potential was also there for the win to be 9 and 8, but I couldn't putt on the day. Maybe this is playing on his mind as well ??? :wink:

That should do me I reckon, if that doesn't get inside his head then I've at least done my best !!!!

miro
11th January 2006, 08:37 AM
Jim,

The boss and I are away until late February.

In the words of a great man........

Let it snow, Let is snow, Let it snow 8)

Trung
11th January 2006, 08:40 AM
Did I mention Jono lost 6&5 in the 1st round last year.

Just a quick summary of the day.

On the side, Trung and I played a match, which started with me going 2 up after 2 holes with 2 consecutive birdies. After that it was all downhill (for me at least) and Trung got up pretty easily 3 and 2.

Jono is a loser.

There are more better things in life than scoring well at an Ozgolf social meeting. At the current rate, Jono will marry Ozgolf in the next 5 years.

Jono
11th January 2006, 09:18 AM
Trung,

You seem to think you know other people better than they do.  Perhaps you should take up psychology.  :roll:

For the record, I've lost nearly all my Ozgolf matches last year except one. Against Trung at Vintage. Should have won by a bigger margin, but still a win. 8) It means so much to me and my life ... :roll:

Trung
11th January 2006, 09:21 AM
Trung,

You seem to think you know other people better than they do.  Perhaps you should take up psychology.  :roll:

I already did....... First lesson... Get into Jonos head.....

jimandr
11th January 2006, 09:29 PM

I had everything planned without you in the event. Still, rules are rules, although it'll be an interesting negotiating process if you propose a game at Indianapolis's finest course.

It's nice to see Jono in such demand as an opponent, but The Rules won't allow Trung and Jono to meet before a semi-final at best.

There is now a danger of too many players. Better than not enough I suppose. I wonder if we should set Miro against Mrs Miro in a qualifying round, just to be evil.

Grunt
11th January 2006, 09:37 PM
that would be nasty Jim, miro is only now getting used to the fact mrs miro is beating him more often than not. A matchplay loss might breat the camels back.

Trung
11th January 2006, 10:04 PM
It's nice to see Jono in such demand as an opponent, but The Rules won't allow Trung and Jono to meet before a semi-final at best.

forget THE RULES, just pick names our of a hat, this is own competition.. nothing to do with blakey.

Give me Jono...

Jono
11th January 2006, 11:00 PM
Whatever you say ... Mr Wooden Spoon Man ... (Grant, make sure you give him his wooden spoon before he leaves for the States :wink: )

Trung
12th January 2006, 07:27 AM
thanks Jono (my b*tch) :P

In case you missed this post.

Trung and MTB,

I will take the wooden spoon. Afterall I picked up on the 6th I believe. I was 1 over after 5. BUT playing my 6th shot some 40 metres from the green (30 metres vertically below the green) on a par 4. Considering 2 shots prior to that I was standing in virtually the same place (chipped up and over the green into a bunker, then bladed the bunker shot back over the green and down the hill) I was not exactly pleased with the situation.

jimandr
12th January 2006, 09:49 PM

forget THE RULES, just pick names our of a hat, this is own competition.. nothing to do with blakey.

Give me Jono...

And if Trung's name and Jono's name do not come out of the hat together? What then?

I can suggest a 'wisdom of solomon' solution to this problem, but it isn't my decision to make. I'm only one voice of 16 or more.

BradW is our 16th player. He's allegedly too busy at work to log on and press the button, and it seems Amanda is not a devoted enough wife to have Ozgolf switched on and waiting for him when he walks in the door at home.

Burger and Zipptopp haven't yet replied to my invitation. We should give them some time to look at their emails and then make a decision. If both are willing players we can decide what to do next. If not, we have an even 16 and we can get cracking.

Jono
12th January 2006, 09:57 PM
Jim,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me say this. This is not the World Matchplay Championship. (News flash, news flash) We are trying to have fun, yeah?

If two people want to play each other in the opening round, why not let them?

BTW, are we going to have "lucky losers" again this year? Is Big Al going to play this year? :wink:

jimandr
12th January 2006, 10:33 PM
Jim,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me say this.  This is not the World Matchplay Championship. (News flash, news flash)  We are trying to have fun, yeah?

If two people want to play each other in the opening round, why not let them?

BTW, are we going to have "lucky losers" again this year?  Is Big Al going to play this year?  :wink:

But all 15 or 16 or 17 others want to play you in the first round, don't they :P

I believe we need some structure to the draw, otherwise it changes 15 times before anyone plays a match. Nevertheless, when the draw is finalised, you and Trung will be playing each other, unless a better bribe is offered to me by Vince, or Pete, or Dan, or Amanda.

Any other pairs 'desperate' to play each other should make their desires known now, then I'll convene a panel of experts to develop the draw.

I see no harm in letting people choose first round opponents, but after that you can't choose the second round opponent as well.

I was just trying to be fair to all participants in making some suggestions.

As The Rules have been brought up, do we all agree that there should be no 'lucky losers' this year? If someone forfeits, the opponent goes straight through. If someone is fortunate enough to get two, or even three forfeits (thus making the final without playing a game) then good luck to them.

Hopefully, we can all be committed enough to playing our games that the only forfeits will be due to injury.

My early suggestion is that we set a first round deadline of 30 April, then 30 June, 30 September and end of November for the final. The first round is the hardest to get completed, but it can also be hard to arrange tee times in middle of winter when there isn't much daylight.

3oneday
12th January 2006, 10:36 PM
yep

Trung
12th January 2006, 10:48 PM
As The Rules have been brought up, do we all agree that there should be no 'lucky losers' this year?  If someone forfeits, the opponent goes straight through.

:smt023

jimandr
19th January 2006, 09:28 PM
Men and Women of NSW OzGolf.

It is decision time. Zipptopp hasn't responded despite having plenty of time to do so, but Burger has confirmed.

I think it is time to get the show on the road.

We have the very inconvenient number of 17. Brad hasn't clicked the confirmation, but he has indicated he wants to play. Unless one player voluntarily drops out (and why should they?), we have one preliminary match then a 16 player draw.

Decision 1. How do we decide the one preliminary match?

Option 1: Jono and Trung want to play each other (if they have kissed and made up after their Pro Shop Thread dispute :twisted: ), everyone else is happy to take their chances in the draw. Let them play the qualifying round, and prepare a 16 player draw with the winner filling a spot and the loser dropping out.

option 2: We strictly follow the money list (as it appears on page 3 of the other 2006 matchplay thread), and set the lowest two players in a qualifying round. The problem with this is that three players (Miro, Miro's wife and Andrew) do not appear on the list. How would we decide which two of the three would play? Out of a hat?

option 3: We do the full draw out of the hat, and the two unlucky names remaining play the qualifier.

Decision 2: How to structure the draw?

Option 1. Strictly based on the money list, with 1 v 16, 2 v 15 etc.

Option 2. Do the full draw out of the hat, as discussed above.

Option 3. A preferential draw, with the top 8 money list seeded, and the rest out of a hat.

These decisions will be a test of democracy in action.

If there is even a vague majority opinion by Sunday morning, we could do the drawing on Sunday at Long Reef (Tony, Jono and myself), or delay it until New Brighton on Australia Day (Amanda, Ping and myself).

Any other suggestions, now is the time to raise them.

I leave the topic open to discussion until Sunday (can anyone tell that I was chairman of a fiery meeting at work today :cry: ).

3oneday
19th January 2006, 09:38 PM
yep, sounds good.... 8)

Pete

:lol: :lol:

Jarro
20th January 2006, 05:38 AM
nice work Jim. It's good to see somebody down there knows what's going on :roll: :lol:

Good luck to all of you that are participating :D

Grunt
20th January 2006, 05:39 AM
Well Jim depending on what happens next week with me, I may or may not be fit enough to play in the championships.
Hopefully I will be only out of action for a few weeks and will still be in the game. We will have to wait and see.

Fishman Dan
20th January 2006, 06:55 AM
Full draw and full draw.

I can feel a poll coming on.....

amanda
20th January 2006, 07:36 AM
Go the full draw.

Virgal_Tracy
20th January 2006, 07:40 AM
Full draw out of a hat. COuldn't care whether I came out at 1 or 17.

Let the games begin.

3oneday
20th January 2006, 07:52 AM

Let the games begin.yep :wink:

Pinglauncher
20th January 2006, 08:01 AM

Let the games begin.

I agree, equal opportunity for all.

Andrew
20th January 2006, 09:58 AM
Full Draw

jimandr
22nd January 2006, 08:19 AM
Those who care enough to post have spoken, and all are in agreement.

I am playing with TS and Jono today. Hopefully Jono brings his OzGolf hat, as we will do the draw out of it.

I hope Amanda and Brad, or Miro and Miro's wife don't draw each other, but 'it's the luck of the draw'.

Stay tuned.

amanda
22nd January 2006, 06:58 PM
jimandr - I'm happy to play brad in the first round - he can only make a half swing at the moment :wink: (but hey - he beat me by 10 shots over 7 holes yesterday :oops: )

zipptopp
22nd January 2006, 07:31 PM
What this about me not responding ? I haven't even seen my computer for the last 20 days!

I've been sweating it in North Qld for the last 18 days without a break, covered in dust installing a machine hence my lack of input.

It's nice to be back home but it seems you all had the cooler weather whilst I was away.

Is there still a chance of a spot or is it all finalised.

Jono
22nd January 2006, 07:49 PM
Nothing's finalized in Ozgolf until it's all over ... :wink: I'm sure we can fit you in the draw. 8)

Jim, I'm happy to count my match against Trung as a preliminary qualifying match. You'd better get the hat out and do the draw soon. It looks like there might need to be another qualifying match.

jimandr
22nd January 2006, 08:34 PM
I have done the draw, and I will start a new thread titled NSW MatchPlay Draw and Results.

I am making an executive decision regarding my mate Zipptopp, as I received his nomination after the draw had been done. He can play one of the two 'first round' matches against the person who came out of my hat 15th (who happens to be Matt3Jab). Every person except Zipptopp, Matt, and the other two unlucky players, get byes into the second round.

I will confess, before publishing the draw, that I forgot to bring the stuff into the clubhouse with me at Long Reef today. I had all the names on post-it notes, ready for folding up etc, then left them in the car.

So I have no independent witnesses, but after I post the draw in five minutes time, I will be very surprised if I'm accused of rigging it.

3oneday
22nd January 2006, 09:04 PM
So I have no independent witnesses, but after I post the draw in five minutes time, I will be very surprised if I'm accused of rigging it. :smt009 :smt102

Fishman Dan
23rd January 2006, 06:35 AM
Cheat.

3oneday
23rd January 2006, 06:38 AM
Cheat. :lol: :lol:

Grunt
31st January 2006, 06:00 AM
Will my 1st round match be able to be delayed a little? I have been told golf is not approved for play yet, maybe a few more weeks yet. Hopefully after appointment with specialist on 24th Feb I will be approved to play from then on.

3oneday
31st January 2006, 06:14 AM
Maybe you and your opponent can work it out once you know who the 2nd (or is it 3rd) round opponent is ??

Pete

Grunt
8th February 2006, 10:12 AM
Will my 1st round match be able to be delayed a little? I have been told golf is not approved for play yet, maybe a few more weeks yet. Hopefully after appointment with specialist on 24th Feb I will be approved to play from then on.

Disregard as I'm Back:mrgreen: