PDA

View Full Version : An update on the donations and where the money is going!

goughy
6th January 2006, 09:37 PM
Just another thanks to all who for the help with donations over the last month or so. It has been a big help. I just wanted to give you all an update of some plans.

We've covered the server costs so far which is great. We are now well and truely on the way to the next improvement.

In the near future we plan on upgrading the forum software. We currently use phpbb which is an opensource (I call it free) bulletin board. We're looking to upgrade to vBulletin which is a program we will have to buy. It's along the lines of the bulletin boards used by many other larger sites like bsg, golfwrx and isg.

Many of the features we currently have are mods which andyp has added to our forum. It can be time consuming and a pain in the butt for him. Much of that and more are standard options with vBulletin.

We will also have a working calendar function - we may even be able to have seperate calendars for each state etc and reminder functions. Quickreply functionality is standard, better forum stats (jarro will still be top poster), and in general it will have better functionality for all members. We may have even found a hack to intergrate the chatroom with the forum.

This is something we've been talking about for a little while, but wanted to make sure it was the way to go. Clikchic recently purchased it to use for her site and is currently testing it. So far it appears that there will be no probs importing our database into it.

We will also receive a portal (a bonus from the site she purchases it from) which will give us a content management system (what the!!!). It gives us an entrance into the forum as well as the option to have news feeds, articles etc etc. We have some ideas for the portal, but would also appreciate any suggestions you may have for things to include.

As I mentioned, we're on our way with the donations to getting vBulletin but am not there yet. So I thought I'd have my own pro-shop sale and sell a few useless things (useless for me, not you) lying around. All money from the items will go towards the purchase of vBulletin so buy up big when it's up guys. I'm sure there will be some cracker top shelf stuff :roll: (not). But heck, if it's no use for me it might be for someone else.

So that's the update. I'll keep you all in the loop.

Jarro
7th January 2006, 07:56 AM
thanks for letting us know what's going on Goughy 8)

VBulletin sounds like a great idea ..... :smt023