PDA

View Full Version : Stableford Question

Machair
19th August 2013, 12:02 PM
Hi all, long time hacker just starting to get more serious. Also just started playing stableford. I'm assuming that, since 2 points are awarded per par, and par is the average score adjusted for handicap, a typical stableford score should be 36. However, I never seem to hit that and can't help but think that I'm more likely to hit a bogey than I am a birdie. Or, taking it further, I'm more likely to have a wipe, than I am an eagle. Am I missing something or is an average stableford score less than 36? Apologies for the single paragraph, but I can't seem to insert any line breaks for some reason.

backintheswing
19th August 2013, 12:08 PM
The way the Australian handicapping system is setup, you will only hit 36 points 8 times out of 20.

I am on the fone, so not going to give a long answer, but your handicap is the average of your best 8 scores, from your last 20 round, multiplied by .93.

Machair
19th August 2013, 12:15 PM
Thank BIS. Yep - down with the handicap calculation system. Was more a question of what shape the bell curve is around par scores. Seems a hell of a lot easier to cop a penalty and end up with a wipe than it does to shoot an adjusted eagle or better.

backintheswing
19th August 2013, 12:23 PM
What I said in the first paragraph is wrong too. I am off a lower handicap and that is what my scores tend to do. For someone a little more inconsistent it would be all over the place.

markTHEblake
19th August 2013, 12:29 PM
In all likelihood you will only play to your handicap 1 or 2 times out of 10. If you do any more than that, your handicap will be dropping and therefore you will be back to the 1or2:10 again

ozdevil
19th August 2013, 12:43 PM
machir

depending on what your handicap is

lets just say joe smith was of 36

he gets 2 shots on every hole

so a par 4 with a 36 handicap is 6 shots so the score will be a 6 for 2 points

par 5's on a 36 handicap a par will be 7 shots so it will be 7 for 2 points

par 3's on a 36 handicap a par will be 5 shots so it will be be a 5 for 2 points

18 handicapper will only get 1 shot on every hole

par 4 becomes a 5 shots which will give you 5 for 2 points
par 5 becomes 6 shots which will give 6 for 2 points
par3 becomes 4 shots so it will be 4 for 2 points

scratch marker to get 2 points for his par he /she has to par the course

so using the index on the card (not the match play index) you usually have a hole rating from 1 to 18 18 being the easiest hole on the course to 1 being the hardest on the hole...

so when a person drops from 36 handicapper drops a shot down to 35 handicap that person will lose 1 stroke of the easist hole being index 18

so that 35 handicapper gets 2 shots from index 1 through to 17 and only 1 shot on index 18.

once you get down to an 18 handicapper it starts all over again so if you drop to a 17 handicapper

on the 18th easist hole on the index you will need to par the hole to get your 2 points

not sure if i explained this right but i am sure others will explain it better

cheers
ozdevil

mrbluu
19th August 2013, 01:00 PM
machir

depending on what your handicap is

lets just say joe smith was of 36

he gets 2 shots on every hole

so a par 4 with a 36 handicap is 6 shots so the score will be a 6 for 2 points

par 5's on a 36 handicap a par will be 7 shots so it will be 7 for 2 points

par 3's on a 36 handicap a par will be 5 shots so it will be be a 5 for 2 points

18 handicapper will only get 1 shot on every hole

par 4 becomes a 5 shots which will give you 5 for 2 points
par 5 becomes 6 shots which will give 6 for 2 points
par3 becomes 4 shots so it will be 4 for 2 points

scratch marker to get 2 points for his par he /she has to par the course

so using the index on the card (not the match play index) you usually have a hole rating from 1 to 18 18 being the easiest hole on the course to 1 being the hardest on the hole...

so when a person drops from 36 handicapper drops a shot down to 35 handicap that person will lose 1 stroke of the easist hole being index 18

so that 35 handicapper gets 2 shots from index 1 through to 17 and only 1 shot on index 18.

once you get down to an 18 handicapper it starts all over again so if you drop to a 17 handicapper

on the 18th easist hole on the index you will need to par the hole to get your 2 points

not sure if i explained this right but i am sure others will explain it better

cheers
ozdevil

Good write up ozdevil, I was going to write the same thing word for word ;)

Machair
19th August 2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks all. I get the handicap and stableford system, but the above helps. Was more a question about seeing a dataset showing whether scoring -1 was equal to +1 (adjusted). Ignoring the 8/20 rounds and *.94, was curious if the bell curve was fatter at the higher end. might be a circular sort of question (or my handicap needs to come up a bit). In short, I never seem to get anywhere near 36 points.

backintheswing
19th August 2013, 01:15 PM
If you never seem to get near 36 points, then in theory your handicap should be on the way out. Maybe you have hit your anchor and therefore you need to involve popper81 in the discussion.

Daves
19th August 2013, 01:28 PM
A graph (score vs # of players who returned that score) of the results of a typical club stableford comp would look more like a J curve I would think. A lot more scores would be less than 36, than those that were more than 36.

Lagerlover
19th August 2013, 02:04 PM
machirdepending on what your handicap islets just say joe smith was of 36he gets 2 shots on every hole so a par 4 with a 36 handicap is 6 shots so the score will be a 6 for 2 pointspar 5's on a 36 handicap a par will be 7 shots so it will be 7 for 2 pointspar 3's on a 36 handicap a par will be 5 shots so it will be be a 5 for 2 points18 handicapper will only get 1 shot on every holepar 4 becomes a 5 shots which will give you 5 for 2 pointspar 5 becomes 6 shots which will give 6 for 2 pointspar3 becomes 4 shots so it will be 4 for 2 pointsscratch marker to get 2 points for his par he /she has to par the courseso using the index on the card (not the match play index) you usually have a hole rating from 1 to 18 18 being the easiest hole on the course to 1 being the hardest on the hole...so when a person drops from 36 handicapper drops a shot down to 35 handicap that person will lose 1 stroke of the easist hole being index 18so that 35 handicapper gets 2 shots from index 1 through to 17 and only 1 shot on index 18.once you get down to an 18 handicapper it starts all over again so if you drop to a 17 handicapperon the 18th easist hole on the index you will need to par the hole to get your 2 pointsnot sure if i explained this right but i am sure others will explain it bettercheersozdevilBut Joe is currently off 15

Dotty
19th August 2013, 06:42 PM
I thought the object of the game was to get 36 points once every 27 rounds.

KristianJ
19th August 2013, 07:01 PM

Just so we know what your original objective was...;)

Dotty
19th August 2013, 07:14 PM
Just so we know what your original objective was...;)
I improved.

The 26 round streak was followed by 24 rounds without getting over 36.

mrbluu
19th August 2013, 07:16 PM
I improved. The 26 round streak was followed by 24 rounds without getting over 36. That's anchorlious!!!

Pirelli
19th August 2013, 10:13 PM
Of course the curve will be skewed towards less than 36. Plenty of times you'll have a shocker with say 22 points, if you are off anything but a super high handicap you're never going to have the 50 points to balance it.

Hatchman
19th August 2013, 10:15 PM
Short answer is very few play to their handicap on any given day. Sometimes under it, often over it.

Scores are more common south (lower) of 36pts than north (higher).
The more north of 36 you play the lower your handicap will get making it harder to go north of 36pts.

Having said all that the course rating ACR alters that slightly +

WBennett
20th August 2013, 07:38 AM

Do you need to play me in matchplay? That always gets you back into a rich vein of form.

Dotty
20th August 2013, 07:41 AM
Do you need to play me in matchplay? That always gets you back into a rich vein of form.
Those games are more like lead floating to the top of mercury.