PDA

View Full Version : Happy pennant formats?

markTHEblake
11th August 2013, 06:20 PM
What format are your districts playing for happy pennant? In other words the 2nd tier comppetition below Open Scratch. On Gold coast we play A B C grades, in the usual standard handicap segments, 6 a side handicap singles home & away 6 rounds. 16 teams 2 divisions, 2 sections. The issue most clubs are saying it they are struggling to get players every week. We discussed this at our recent district meeting so looking for ideas to renew interest. What different formats are you playing elsewhere?

Sydney Hacker
11th August 2013, 07:03 PM
In sydney they have Warren & Gibson shields for B & C grades, which is 4 ball match play. Seems pretty popular with the punters.

Grunt
11th August 2013, 07:21 PM
There is also another pennants outside Gibson & Warren Shield too. It was B &C Grade individual scratch match play in each grade. I played it a few years back for MacArthur Grange.

markTHEblake
11th August 2013, 07:32 PM
How many players in each team, how many teams, how many rounds?

Sydney Hacker
11th August 2013, 08:01 PM
From memory there are 3 live matches and one reserve match, so 8 in each team.

6 rounds, home and away, I think.

LeftyHoges
11th August 2013, 11:45 PM
Division 2 pennant here is 4 teams (I won't say clubs as sometimes a club can have two sides in the one division), 5 a side, all scratch, 3 matches (play each other once, obviously).

Looney
12th August 2013, 09:36 AM
MTB, My club is looking to enter the interclub pennant series next year (we are also looking to enter the major pennant). from what we are seeing the interest in both A and B grade is strong but C grade looks like a struggle but hopefully we will have enough to field a team.

markTHEblake
12th August 2013, 01:21 PM
Looney, the due date for nominating your teams has already passed, but obviously not too late. The district send out a form every year to be completed and returned by July I think. At lastweek's meeting we talked about Open pennant in some detail, including which teams are in what division as there has been some extraordinary changes. If a new club had already entered i am certain that would have been mentioned

markTHEblake
12th August 2013, 01:27 PM
In other words talk to someone and tell them to pull their finger out and nominate and would also be helpful if they sent someone to the district mmeetings so you all find out what is going on.

popper81
12th August 2013, 07:56 PM
Blakey, any talk of us losers up here...

markTHEblake
12th August 2013, 08:49 PM
None whatsover in the last 3 meetings at least, nor at the AGM about May which is attended by GQ. The last I heard of it really was at the 2012 AGM, there is a bloke up north who might be the best person to ask...

popper81
12th August 2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I think it is all cold water for now. Makes me happy.

Looney
13th August 2013, 08:51 AM
Looney, the due date for nominating your teams has already passed, but obviously not too late. The district send out a form every year to be completed and returned by July I think. At lastweek's meeting we talked about Open pennant in some detail, including which teams are in what division as there has been some extraordinary changes. If a new club had already entered i am certain that would have been mentioned From what I have been told the club has spoken to the district secretary about the clubs plans. I think we were given until sometime this month to confirm if the club was entering teams

Waddzy
13th August 2013, 09:31 AM
MTB , was there any word on if Tweed cooly were going to attempt to represent a team now they've done the dash twice? How did Helensvale fair up in the interclub?

markTHEblake
13th August 2013, 01:21 PM
Obviously that was the catalyst for the discussion but I don't recall precisely CTH decision moving forward. Your captain was there so you should probably talk to him too as it sounds like you are keen.

Waddzy
13th August 2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah I will have a talk to him , was just curious , first year playing and attending all these meetings and stuff trying to keep an insight of what's going on.. Although I don't know why.. I possibly may be looking for a new club to join next year.