PDA

View Full Version : AimPoint App

mrbluu
29th July 2013, 11:28 PM
I consider myself a decent putter, but rarely have less that 34 putts a round. Some of this is due to poor chipping, but that is a story for a different day. Anyway I've always struggled to read greens and I find it particularly difficult to pick up little subtle breaks. Anyway after the round yesterday, Virge showed me a a group of charts from AimPoint which sparked my interest.

I think the app is about $23....has anyone tried it???

virge666
29th July 2013, 11:37 PM
The app is not much use unless you know the methodology. Knowing what each grade is and how to measure the stimp of the green

mrbluu
29th July 2013, 11:40 PM
OK so where do I go to learn?

timah!
29th July 2013, 11:44 PM
OK so where do I go to learn?

Aim point teaching course.
If I played more I'd love to go to one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

markTHEblake
29th July 2013, 11:46 PM
That sounds like the thing with the one day training that costs $500 (or so), right?
the one where they teach you to read the greens with your feet.

Captain Nemo
30th July 2013, 08:06 AM
That sounds like the thing with the one day training that costs $500 (or so), right?
WTF?

Daves
30th July 2013, 08:09 AM

I believe so, though it is more feel and gauge the slopes with your feet.The actual read (knowing how to aim your putt) is another module I think.

Minor_Threat
30th July 2013, 09:15 AM
Do you get a complimentary tin foil hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

markTHEblake
30th July 2013, 12:42 PM
I believe so, though it is more feel and gauge the slopes with your feet.The actual read (knowing how to aim your putt) is another module I think.I use the feet thing a lot now. Especially after I putt :-)

golfbound
30th July 2013, 01:12 PM
This might be what the guy was doing who played in our group the other day. he would stand on his line every meter ot so and then turn around slowly with his feet on it. Looked very weird.

markTHEblake
30th July 2013, 01:21 PM
Ben, standing on his line would likely be a penalty. the normal technique is to walk a semi circle between ball and hole. It's a piece of cake to feel whether you are walking up or downhill. well maybe you are more or less sensitive to that, I dunno :-)

golfbound
30th July 2013, 01:25 PM
yeah ok this guy was on his line every meter and turning around it was only social but yeah looked weird

virge666
30th July 2013, 01:54 PM

$260 was how much i payed about two years ago with the dude that invented it - Mike Sweeney

I believe so, though it is more feel and gauge the slopes with your feet.The actual read (knowing how to aim your putt) is another module I think.

It is all the same module. You get taught a method on how to gauge distance and slope quickly using your feet.

Do you get a complimentary tin foil hat?

It aint that bad . . . honest

This might be what the guy was doing who played in our group the other day. he would stand on his line every meter ot so and then turn around slowly with his feet on it. Looked very weird.

Sound like atotal dickhead and he is not doing it correctly. not too mention etiquette for his fellow players.

Ben, standing on his line would likely be a penalty. the normal technique is to walk a semi circle between ball and hole. It's a piece of cake to feel whether you are walking up or downhill. well maybe you are more or less sensitive to that, I dunno :-)

Exactly.

yeah ok this guy was on his line every meter and turning around it was only social but yeah looked weird

See above - "dickhead"

The basic premise is that you work out how steep the slope is and where the fall point is. (the point where it is a straight putt) Which is what every decent putter I have ever seen does. You then use the grid to work out how much break to play using the book.

Now - a few things...

No 1 - it is a skill, it takes awhile to work it out and trust it.
No 2 - from a mental side - you work out the putt is, say, 7 inches outside left. You now hit it 7 inches outside left... you dont have the problem of changing your mind on the downswing. (my big problem)
No 3 - It is a tool to be used quickly whilst waiting for others to putt. i don't think i slowed down anyone dong my sums on each putt. It only take 15 -20 seconds to do it.
No 4 - The grids only work on 20 feet and less.
No 5 - Trusting it is HARD. but after you get it wrong and the book gets it right a few times... you get round to trusting it more.
No 6 - You never miss a putt again - the book might... but you dont.

I have used it for 2 years now - and I am still using it.

mrbluu
30th July 2013, 02:10 PM
$260 was how much i payed about two years ago with the dude that invented it - Mike Sweeney

It is all the same module. You get taught a method on how to gauge distance and slope quickly using your feet.

It aint that bad . . . honest

Sound like atotal dickhead and he is not doing it correctly. not too mention etiquette for his fellow players.

Exactly.

See above - "dickhead"

The basic premise is that you work out how steep the slope is and where the fall point is. (the point where it is a straight putt) Which is what every decent putter I have ever seen does. You then use the grid to work out how much break to play using the book.

Now - a few things...

No 1 - it is a skill, it takes awhile to work it out and trust it.
No 2 - from a mental side - you work out the putt is, say, 7 inches outside left. You now hit it 7 inches outside left... you dont have the problem of changing your mind on the downswing. (my big problem)
No 3 - It is a tool to be used quickly whilst waiting for others to putt. i don't think i slowed down anyone dong my sums on each putt. It only take 15 -20 seconds to do it.
No 4 - The grids only work on 20 feet and less.
No 5 - Trusting it is HARD. but after you get it wrong and the book gets it right a few times... you get round to trusting it more.
No 6 - You never miss a putt again - the book might... but you dont.

I have used it for 2 years now - and I am still using it.

So is anyone in Australia teaching it?

Captain Nemo
30th July 2013, 02:13 PM
Me.

virge666
30th July 2013, 02:14 PM
So is anyone in Australia teaching it?

The Pro @ Terrey hills last I heard.

braddles
2nd August 2013, 08:22 PM
I have been to an AimPoint course. It is the best golf lesson I have had and worth the money. I haven't used it for 6 months or so, as I haven't had the time to practice measuring the slope - the practice green at my course is too flat and you can't do it on the course before I play. I will work on it in a couple of months when the weather warms up. I am planning on charting the greens on my home course.

BUSHY
15th October 2014, 08:55 AM
I know this is an old thread but has anyone done this recently? Know where any upcoming courses are? I've been studying it adhoc online and getting some good results but I want to do the course. I've been in contact with Mark Sweeney who's getting back to me.

aym
15th October 2014, 01:55 PM
This guy does it apparently, but his in Melbourne..

Sandhurst Club
Level: X1 & X2
10/14/2014
Instructor: Leong
(03) 8320 1902
stuart@stuartleong.com

BUSHY
15th October 2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah I emailed Stuart today, they do X1 and X2 combined but they only do it at Sandhurst and Albert Park driving range which for me in Cairns is kind of difficult to get to. Im going to try and see what it takes to get something closer?