PDA

View Full Version : TPC Harding Park & Pebble Beach

Steve57
24th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Playing TPC Harding Park on 9 August and Pebble Beach on 15 August.
Has anyone else had the pleasure and if so do you have any tips for playing either?
Also any other suggestions for courses between San Francisco and LA.
Cheers
Steve

PeteyD
25th July 2013, 06:49 AM
There are a bunch of courses around the Monterey Peninsula clicky (http://www.montereypeninsulagolf.com/Monterey-Golf-Courses).

Steve57
25th July 2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks Pete.
Will be playing Links at Spanish Bay as well as Pebble but was wondering whether anyone had any first hand experience at any in the area.

PeteyD
25th July 2013, 08:02 AM
I wish!

PerryGroves
25th July 2013, 09:25 AM
Steve57,

I played California GC in San Fransisco http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/california-golf-club-of-san-franciso/, wonderful course, drop them a line, if they know you are an Aussie, am confident you will get a start. Baker-Finch has a big wrap on the joint.

You should play Pasatiempo on the way down to Monterey, its pricey, maybe $250 but a tremendous course with a bit of MacKenzie history, he lived on the course in his dotage.

If keen, you can play Pebble in the morning and then get a cheap rate on Spyglass in the afternoon. We had no trouble getting on Pebble as walk ups even though it was the week before the US Open at Olympic, think they like to pretend its booked up. We hit off early (7.30ish), two ball in front and nobody behind, resembled a bit of a mad house by the time we finished, groups everywhere, so figured they were in for a minimum of 5hrs.

Enjoy.

Steve57
25th July 2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks Perry,
California GC looks nice.
Not sure whether we will get time on the way to Monterey to play Pasatiempo but will keep it in mind.
Cheers
Steve

aym
25th July 2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Steve, I was on business at San Fran about a months ago, drove to TPC harding but got called back to attend a meeting... however visually it's FREAKING awesome!

Steve57
25th July 2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Steve, I was on business at San Fran about a months ago, drove to TPC harding but got called back to attend a meeting... however visually it's FREAKING awesome!
Yeah all the photos I can find attest to that.
Unfortunately they will be coring the greens 3 days before we are due to play but I am prepared to put up with that, especially at discounted green fee rates!

pt73
25th July 2013, 05:02 PM
I would play Spyglass instead of Spanish Bay, I've played Spyglass a few times and it's awesome but have never heard a good review of Spanish Bay from mates who live in the SF bay area. Poppy Hills is a good course it was one of the AT&T courses until a few years ago, its up the hill from Pebble etc. close to the entrance to 17 Mile Drive off highway101.

Steve57
25th July 2013, 07:30 PM
Yeah that was my choice too but unfortunately Spyglass is closed for reno's the week I am there. I saw Poppy Hills as well and we may well try this one afternoon at twilight rates. Thanks for your thoughts.

Horse
28th July 2013, 09:52 AM
I would suggest you have a look at Pasatiempo Golf Club. It's an Alister Mackenzie course but does not get the accolades like Augusta National or Cypress Point. Worth a look IMO.

Greeny
31st July 2013, 03:25 PM
A friend got back from SF a few days ago and said he was underwhelmed by Harding Park. Good course but nothing incredible.
Keen to hear what you think.