PDA

View Full Version : Ball Advice, not the kind that Simmsy gets from a doctor.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi All,

Currently struggling with getting too much sucky sucky off the wet winter greens. Back pins are a nightmare and I hate hitting 2 clubs less and.swinging easy.

Anyone have ball recommendations that are relatively low spin off the driver, but provide some greenside control?

Currently using Lethals, swinging approx 115 and playing off 3.

Monsta
22nd July 2013, 02:56 PM
All I heard was sucky sucky and balls???????

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 02:58 PM
I knew I had worded it poorly.

sms316
22nd July 2013, 03:02 PM
ProV1x brother. Go back to the best.

popper81
22nd July 2013, 03:03 PM
I just leave my clubs dirty, and grooves full of shit. That way my sublime ball striking is somewhat hampered. ( Truthfully... I hit everything thin, "no point cleaning what you aren't needin!")

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 03:04 PM
ProV1x brother. Go back to the best. Love these, but they spin a lot too. Even more than Lethals, according to Golf Digest.

sms316
22nd July 2013, 03:10 PM
Love these, but they spin a lot too. Even more than Lethals, according to Golf Digest.
Never tried a Lethal, but I can say without any doubt that the Penta spun more than ProV1x for me.

Mububban
22nd July 2013, 03:11 PM

JADO75
22nd July 2013, 03:13 PM
Srixon Z star xv, the older model not the new spin skin. Got some boxes last week for $25 a dozen from Power Golf. I used them for a full round yesterday (cough cough won A grade cough cough) for the first time in howling winds & couldn't have been happier. I'm like you in that I normally get too much razz & hate taking more stick & swinging softer but I found them very responsive around the greens, full shots either dropped & stopped or razzed back enough to help not hinder. Was swinging pretty well yesterday but I think they are longer off the tee too & don't generate as much side spin. Up until yesterday a mate of mine had won either singles or doubles in his last 5 starts & it coincided with him switching to this ball. Durability was awesome too, one wedge on a Pro V & its ghost, used the one ball for the full round yesterday & could easily use it again next game.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 03:15 PM
Srixon Z star xv, the older model not the new spin skin. Got some boxes last week for $25 a dozen from Power Golf. I used them for a full round yesterday (cough cough won A grade cough cough) for the first time in howling winds & couldn't have been happier. I'm like you in that I normally get too much razz & hate taking more stick & swinging softer but I found them very responsive around the greens, full shots either dropped & stopped or razzed back enough to help not hinder. Was swinging pretty well yesterday but I think they are longer off the tee too & don't generate as much side spin. Up until yesterday a mate of mine had won either singles or doubles in his last 5 starts & it coincided with him switching to this ball. Durability was awesome too, one wedge on a Pro V & its ghost, used the one ball for the full round yesterday & could easily use it again next game. this sounds perfect. Simmsy, you frequent all shops. Any in Perf selling the old ones?

KristianJ
22nd July 2013, 03:19 PM
JC, I have 2 brand new boxes of the XVs. Shop up the road from my work sells them for $25 as well so I can replenish my stocks easily.

$55 posted to your door if Simmsy can't find any.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 03:22 PM
JC, I have 2 brand new boxes of the XVs. Shop up the road from my work sells them for $25 as well so I can replenish my stocks easily. $55 posted to your door if Simmsy can't find any.Awesome, KJ. I will dig through my ball sack at home and try and find one to test out. Can I let you know by the end of the week?

JADO75
22nd July 2013, 03:22 PM
I thought Penta's were cheap at $30 but these for $25 is redonkulous

KristianJ
22nd July 2013, 03:23 PM
Awesome, KJ. I will dig through my ball sack at home and try and find one to test out. Can I let you know by the end of the week?Yep, sure thing. I'll vouch for what Jado says about them too.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 03:25 PM
I love the Lethals, but two weeks ago, I lipped out a 9i for eagle, down a ridge and 4 stabbed. I also knocked a 9i 4 feet right of the pin and had about 40ft uphill yesty. The soft greens and my steep swing are killing me!

Monsta
22nd July 2013, 03:30 PM
I have the same swing JC, use ProvX's and while it comes back a little, I dont get any major sucky sucky (dont get any off the course either)

Lucasto23
22nd July 2013, 04:33 PM
I have the same swing JC, use ProvX's and while it comes back a little, I dont get any major sucky sucky (dont get any off the course either) That's cause your a bad tipper mate

Lagerlover
22nd July 2013, 04:48 PM
I thought Penta's were cheap at $30 but these for $25 is redonkulous

tommy redonkulous??

Steve
22nd July 2013, 04:49 PM
Try NXT tour S ??

simmsy
22nd July 2013, 04:58 PM
havent looked for balls for a while jc, since i lost mine didn't see the point.

backintheswing
22nd July 2013, 05:05 PM
Bridgestone b330 all the way. Even uncle jack would agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 05:16 PM
Bridgestone b330 all the way. Even uncle jack would agree.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Might have a few in the garage. Does the 330s spin more?

backintheswing
22nd July 2013, 05:17 PM
Might have a few in the garage. Does the 330s spin more?

Yes. B330 is ideal for you.

LeftyHoges
22nd July 2013, 05:24 PM
The Cally Tour i(s) could be worth a shot too. Can be had for $30 a dozen in places.

simmsy
22nd July 2013, 05:25 PM
suck like a hoover

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2013, 05:26 PM
this sounds perfect. Simmsy, you frequent all shops. Any in Perf selling the old ones?

Been using them about 6 weeks now, they are the goods.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 05:45 PM
The Cally Tour i(s) could be worth a shot too. Can be had for $30 a dozen in places. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 I love these in the summer. I spin them like crazy in the winter. Haven't tried the nxt tour s yet. Am curious.TNO, you using the 2012 model as well?

HCC
22nd July 2013, 06:10 PM
Been playing Nike balls 20x1 in the winter very good! Doesn't spin as much.

razaar
22nd July 2013, 07:38 PM
JC
A man of your talents should be able to hit it higher on the driver face to keep the spin down. Is there a chance that you are not staying down and hitting past yourself? Even a small move on to the ball with the driver (similar to iron contact) will most likely result in contact below the COG (horizontal) point on the clubface, causing increased spin (gear effect).

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 07:42 PM
JCA man of your talents should be able to hit it higher on the driver face to keep the spin down. Is there a chance that you are not staying down and hitting past yourself? Even a small move on to the ball with the driver (similar to iron contact) will most likely result in contact below the COG (horizontal) point on the clubface, causing increased spin (gear effect). Hi Rayz,The problems I am having are with shots into greens with my 8i through to wedges. No issues with the driver, other than the pull fade, but that is not the balls fault.

mrbluu
22nd July 2013, 07:44 PM
When we played, Jadho also took to hitting 6 inches behind the ball to take the spin off....the results where mixed but him and his partner won the 2ball.

razaar
22nd July 2013, 07:52 PM
JC
Just read the thread, sorry about that. I agree with Simmsy about the old Srixon ZStar. Cam gave me some of Brady Watts used XV's (current) and they are definitely a higher spinning ball than the old one. I noticed the difference and my clubhead speed is nothing like yours.

markTHEblake
22nd July 2013, 07:53 PM
Cant do much about it, cos you are a 7 ft tall house trained gorilla. Unless you change to using Rockets or something you are going to be afflicted with more backspin than stabbers like me (pee wee herman).
Any of the high swing speed balls are the best you can do if you want to retain some control and feel with the chips, otherwise you are just going to have to suck it in and live with it.

Aussielongdriver
22nd July 2013, 08:03 PM
try hex chrome +

golfbound
22nd July 2013, 08:14 PM
can do you a deal on last years Pro V1's brand new in sleeves but they have a logo on them

$0ld them all sorry

hocko
22nd July 2013, 08:52 PM
Hi All,

Currently struggling with getting too much sucky sucky off the wet winter greens. Back pins are a nightmare and I hate hitting 2 clubs less and.swinging easy.

Anyone have ball recommendations that are relatively low spin off the driver, but provide some greenside control?

Currently using Lethals, swinging approx 115 and playing off 3.

Have crack with a couple of my Wilsons

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 09:07 PM
Have crack with a couple of my Wilsons I will be.swinging by to.check the loft/lie of my 8i soon. It has balooned twice on me and that doesn't happen, ever!

JADO75
22nd July 2013, 09:28 PM
When we played, Jadho also took to hitting 6 inches behind the ball to take the spin off....the results where mixed but him and his partner won the 2ball.

Didn't use a Srixon that day but all I remember is pumping it past you all day brotha haha.

Pencil
22nd July 2013, 09:43 PM
Precept Lady iQ. I swear its the best ball in the wind. Fine greenside but you won't be shredding any full shots back, and there like 10 bucks a sleeve.

Steve
22nd July 2013, 09:46 PM
Precept Lady iQ. I swear its the best ball in the wind. Fine greenside but you won't be shredding any full shots back, and there like 10 bucks a sleeve.

Sold at all your local bingo halls

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2013, 09:49 PM
I love these in the summer. I spin them like crazy in the winter. Haven't tried the nxt tour s yet. Am curious.TNO, you using the 2012 model as well?

Pretty sure i am JC.

mrbluu
22nd July 2013, 11:52 PM
Didn't use a Srixon that day but all I remember is pumping it past you all day brotha haha.

I kept hitting it ob and in hazards just to make you feel better....

Dotty
23rd July 2013, 07:47 AM
I kept hitting it ob and in hazards just to make you feel better....
And then ...

mrbluu
23rd July 2013, 09:02 AM
And then ... They felt so good they won the 2bball.

virge666
23rd July 2013, 09:48 AM
JC,

Back on a bit of advice...

You have one of the lowest spins balls already... i dont think the lethal is as long as the V1x but it is a lot better on high iron spin. I use the lethal for exactly that reason. The V1x and V1 come in too high and spin their arse off.

Forget changing balls - anything harder will get smashed by the wind with the driver and other woods. Hex chrome not a bad choice - but you will need to have a shallow downswing... something you don't have.

You're a low enough marker to learn the shot - ball under left tit, shallow out the downswing and hit the ball lower. The trick is to learn how to get the upper body to push the lower body out of the way, not pull the upper body through with the legs and hips.

Watch any of the Open and you will see Adam Scott, Mahan and Woods doing it all day. Use your shoulders to swing the club.

It will flatten the trajectory and reduce the spin without losing distance on the shot...

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 10:00 AM
JC,Back on a bit of advice...You have one of the lowest spins balls already... i dont think the lethal is as long as the V1x but it is a lot better on high iron spin. I use the lethal for exactly that reason. The V1x and V1 come in too high and spin their arse off.Forget changing balls - anything harder will get smashed by the wind with the driver and other woods. Hex chrome not a bad choice - but you will need to have a shallow downswing... something you don't have.You're a low enough marker to learn the shot - ball under left tit, shallow out the downswing and hit the ball lower. The trick is to learn how to get the upper body to push the lower body out of the way, not pull the upper body through with the legs and hips.Watch any of the Open and you will see Adam Scott, Mahan and Woods doing it all day. Use your shoulders to swing the club.It will flatten the trajectory and reduce the spin without losing distance on the shot... I had a feeling this was coming. I'll have to get on YouTube tonight and see what I can find. Cheers Virge.

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 10:03 AM
To clarify, by shallow, in essence, a longer arching downswing as opposed to my normal steep one?

JADO75
23rd July 2013, 10:12 AM
I used the Srixon on Saturday & it was blowing its arse off, was a prick of a day off the tees. Not being a tool but I didn't miss a drive all day & I put it down to the way the ball played into the wind, also had to hit a few 3 woods & was happy days again. Plus I think they are every bit as long as the Pro v1x if not longer

Mububban
23rd July 2013, 10:25 AM
Might have a few in the garage. Does the 330s spin more?

The S balls are the higher spin version. I believe the B330-RX is less spin than the regular 330 model as well.

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 10:36 AM
Cheers Mu

backintheswing
23rd July 2013, 10:46 AM
The b330s is the higher spin, that is why I suggested a b330. The RX series are too soft for JC.

sms316
23rd July 2013, 10:51 AM
The other thing is, why give up spin for pitch shots?

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 11:05 AM
The other thing is, why give up spin for pitch shots? I am finding that this time of year and in pennant, I am getting faced with a ton of back pins. In my last match, which went 20 holes, I hit one pitch where I played for a lot of spin. In reality, I didn't even need to. I am losing more to spinning back than I am around the greens.

tommyg
23rd July 2013, 11:46 AM
They don't have much love on this forum but give Q-stars a try. It will fix your problem... and great off the tee. Its just a matter of if you can make do around the greens with your short game. Not much of an adjustment there though....

simmsy
23rd July 2013, 01:31 PM
He was asking for less spin not no spin.
:)

U get more spin out of a marble

virge666
23rd July 2013, 02:31 PM
To clarify, by shallow, in essence, a longer arching downswing as opposed to my normal steep one?

Not quite. see if you can stay with me on this one.

if you drive the legs and hips - the upper body tilts backwards. (left shoulder goes up, right shoulder goes down)

With me ?

This is the bit that adds all the spin.

So - you have to break it down into two moves - Arm Drop and Release.

On the first part of the down swing.
1. brace the left side, keep the hips level. Do not slide, clear, drive the knees. Just brace the left side, push the front foot into the ground.
2. Drop the hands down to about the same level as the bottom rib. Stay tall, keeps hips level (arm drop)
3. Pull your left shoulder away from your chin. Stay tall, rotate the hips as horizontal as you can around your front foot. (Body release) Feel like your shoulders are pushing your hips around. Dont lock your hips, just make sure they are not pulling your shoulders.
4. Take a very very thin divot. Pick it up off the turf.
5. Get that chest rotating as early as you can. the earlier it is the lower the ball flight.

You will see this a lot with all the Foley guys. Arm drop then work the club left holding the club face in what feels like an open position. (iy isn't, just feels like it)

good luck.

virge666
23rd July 2013, 02:34 PM
They don't have much love on this forum but give Q-stars a try. It will fix your problem... and great off the tee. Its just a matter of if you can make do around the greens with your short game. Not much of an adjustment there though....

They are too fast off the face, he will not be able to control them.

Not to mention at his swing speed - the spin rate will be ludicrous.

wizard_of_oz
23rd July 2013, 02:43 PM
Bridgestone e6? Supposed to have very little spin off the tee and on approach shots (obviously not geared towards the lower handicaper but since you were looking for something with less spin...)

LeftyHoges
23rd July 2013, 03:14 PM
Bridgestone e6? Supposed to have very little spin off the tee and on approach shots (obviously not geared towards the lower handicaper but since you were looking for something with less spin...)
I used the same Bridgestone e6+ ball for rounds of 69, 70 and 73 a few months ago. Not a bad ball (that one in particualr! :lol:) but I think JC would probably want something just a shade spinnier as there's not much in this thing.

virge666
23rd July 2013, 03:47 PM
Bridgestone e6? Supposed to have very little spin off the tee and on approach shots (obviously not geared towards the lower handicapper but since you were looking for something with less spin...)

Your thinking about driver spin... which is totally different to wedge spin.

The first keeps the spin low when you bash it at 105mph. The second is about how soft the cover it and how well it is gripped by a wedge shot or 8 iron or LW. A driver comes at the ball with a shallow angle - The wedge comes in a lot steeper.

The modern ball is so much harder than the golf balls of old. Which is why they have a very soft outer layers to allow a player to actually spin the ball green side. Which is why the ball change aint going to help - he has to shallow out the angle into the ball and take loft off through impact.

You control that spin rate with the trajectory.

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 03:50 PM
Cheers Virge. Will give it a shot.

Cheers Wiz and Lefty. I like playing chips to roll out and have long though that I might benefit from a harder ball.

I'll give them a go on the coming weeks and stop depositing every ball I find back onto the range.

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 03:57 PM
The b330s is the higher spin, that is why I suggested a b330. The RX series are too soft for JC.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Cheers BITS. Found two old ones last night, will give them a run.

Yossarian
23rd July 2013, 04:00 PM
Not quite. see if you can stay with me on this one.

if you drive the legs and hips - the upper body tilts backwards. (left shoulder goes up, right shoulder goes down)

With me ?

This is the bit that adds all the spin.

So - you have to break it down into two moves - Arm Drop and Release.

On the first part of the down swing.
1. brace the left side, keep the hips level. Do not slide, clear, drive the knees. Just brace the left side, push the front foot into the ground.
2. Drop the hands down to about the same level as the bottom rib. Stay tall, keeps hips level (arm drop)
3. Pull your left shoulder away from your chin. Stay tall, rotate the hips as horizontal as you can around your front foot. (Body release) Feel like your shoulders are pushing your hips around. Dont lock your hips, just make sure they are not pulling your shoulders.
4. Take a very very thin divot. Pick it up off the turf.
5. Get that chest rotating as early as you can. the earlier it is the lower the ball flight.

You will see this a lot with all the Foley guys. Arm drop then work the club left holding the club face in what feels like an open position. (iy isn't, just feels like it)

good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HP0JDB77yY

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HP0JDB77yY I had a feeling that link was going there. Perfect.

Johnny Canuck
24th July 2013, 10:57 PM
Srixon Z star xv, the older model not the new spin skin. Got some boxes last week for $25 a dozen from Power Golf. I used them for a full round yesterday (cough cough won A grade cough cough) for the first time in howling winds & couldn't have been happier. I'm like you in that I normally get too much razz & hate taking more stick & swinging softer but I found them very responsive around the greens, full shots either dropped & stopped or razzed back enough to help not hinder. Was swinging pretty well yesterday but I think they are longer off the tee too & don't generate as much side spin. Up until yesterday a mate of mine had won either singles or doubles in his last 5 starts & it coincided with him switching to this ball. Durability was awesome too, one wedge on a Pro V & its ghost, used the one ball for the full round yesterday & could easily use it again next game.

Winner.

Bridgestone b330 all the way. Even uncle jack would agree.

Big winner.

Started work nice and early today so that I could sneak out for a few holes late.

I didn't get to hit as many experimental shots as I would like, but I was able to get a good feel for the B330 and the Z Star XV yellow.

Both balls spun substantially less than what I am used to. In a very limited trial, I am leaning towards the Bridgestone. Most likely, this is only due to the fact that I hit a full 52* wedge into one hole, only brought it back 6 feet, downhill, and had it stop 3 inches from the hole. The XV was also very nice. I'll give it another run, but I am pretty sure that I'll end up taking KJ up on his offer.

Around the greens, I got a bit more release than normal, but I like this. By no means, will they be too difficult to control on tight shots.

Both felt great off the driver and were nice and long.

I should have done this a long time ago.