PDA

View Full Version : PGF Optima Tour UT Balls

Grunt
29th December 2005, 08:24 PM
Hi all

Anyone else used these? I tried them for the 1st time today @ Concord and must say I was very impressed. Great distance, good feel on the greens and decent spin on full shots. I was almost going to give up 3 piece balls but these seem to be the ball for me. Recommended for 0-10 handicapper but is 20 too much lol.

3oneday
30th December 2005, 01:47 AM
Grant,

Used one today as a matter of fact, on couch greens, ie the ones that you can't land on and still stop the pill on the green.....

Nice ball, I have a 3 pack and will use some more around my home track before switching fully !!! almost springs off the face, and spins very nicely around the greens too !!!

Pete

Deano
30th December 2005, 12:33 PM
PGF Optima.........when I first joined a club and started playing
comps about 8 years back it seemed like every 2nd guy was playing
the 'ol Optima TS.
Weren't they one of Australia's biggest selling balls at some stage?

Deano

markTHEblake
1st January 2006, 09:34 AM
probably, i predominantly used Optima 428 or something like that or the Optima B alata's from 88-95- ish. They were just a bit cheaper than the Titleist balatas, and seemed to be much more durable. Though nothing saved them if you hit them thin.

Deano
1st January 2006, 10:10 PM
I usually get in a few practice holes before dark at WGC
and it's funny what you come across.
Can't remember the last time I found a disgarded Optima.

Usually there's no inbetween.Ya find a ProV,or like today,
a yellow B51 :twisted: and a Proline Ti :twisted: :lol:

Deano

daMANiack
24th May 2008, 04:17 AM
Hi,

No kidding, one of the most under-rated golf balls is the PGF Optima Pro UT.

It:

Soft off the clubface and putter
SPINS
Retains it's appearance very well
Doesn't scuff too easilyI've used Pro v1, B330-S and many of the other main brands, but just gone back to the Pro UT and loving it, starting to sink putts again, I just love the feel off the Odyssey XG putter face.

I stopped using it because I was getting continually sledged by my so-called golfing buddies, I'd used Optima TS for years and they called me TS and this stood for Tour Shank and I'd had the SHANKS real bad a few years back and didn't need reminding.

burger
25th May 2008, 10:27 AM
I tried them for the 1st time today @ Concord

So what are the $$$ for these and how did you manage to get onto Concord???

stu.

Grunt
25th May 2008, 11:06 AM
So what are the $$$ for these and how did you manage to get onto Concord???

stu.

Think they are about $35 a dozen now

I got onto Concord at their annual Open day. Is held around Xmas time every year.

Horse
25th May 2008, 08:50 PM
Anyone else seen PGF's full page ad in the golfer? Now selling direct, the sharks are circling. Very sad, they were once a great company. Back in the 90's everyone played Optima, first it was the 336 or the Tour and then it was the TS. Then the like of Titleist got their act together in OZ and Callaway now have a ball, the Optima is dying a slow death. I see it as a older persons ball, golfer 30 and under have not heard of PGF. Personally I have tried that Pro-UT and did not like it, I preferred the TS Tour if I had to play an Optima.

On the subject of Concord I played there today and it was PURE!!!!! What a good course and it was in superb condition and the greens are probably the best I have ever played on.

Grunt
25th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Am currently using the TS Tour, not a bad ball for me. Would like more spin, but to get that I would have more side spin too. Dont need that.

markTHEblake
26th May 2008, 12:06 AM
Very sad, they were once a great company. Back in the 90's everyone played Optima, first it was the 336 or the Tour and then it was the TS.

Thats an understatement, back in the 70's-80's everyone played PGF clubs. When they closed their Australian foundries somewhere in the middle 80's they went downhill. (as did all the Australian manufacturers)

burger
26th May 2008, 12:20 PM
I got onto Concord at their annual Open day. Is held around Xmas time every year.
Sorry Grant didn't even look at the dates on the original entry.

So are we going to have a Ozgolf day at their Open Day this year?

Horse, are you a member at Concord?

stu

jaybam
26th May 2008, 04:32 PM
Concord is a great test of golf. Both my father and uncle were members at concord which made it nice and easy to get on. :)

talbo
26th May 2008, 06:16 PM
I used to love those Optima TS balls..... I dropped my first eagle with a PW from around 100m with a TS

swanny
31st May 2008, 04:14 AM
Definatly my favourite balls . And i even bought the matching clubs