PDA

View Full Version : Wall hugger recliner or Swivel/rocker recliner!!!

goughy
27th December 2005, 08:21 PM
What the!!!!! you may be saying.

Well, I'll be building a new lounge suit this year and am building a new recliner for myself. But I have been agonising for months now whether to build a wall hugger or rocker/swivel recliner. Here is the story.

We have a narrow lounge room, only 3.5mtrs. With a wall hugger I can have the recliner pushed almost up against the wall when sitting, and then when reclining the chair moves itself away from the wall to the recline position. My current recliner has to sit like a foot or more off the wall to allow it to recline. Thus it tends to sit more into the room.

The other option is to make a swivel/rocker recliner similar to what many would have seen joey and chandler on friends using. My current recliner is also a rocker, and I just love sitting there and rocking away (much to the annoyance of my clikchic), and since our room is open plan now, I could swivel around easy to talk to clikchic while she is on the 'puter. But I have to give the chair clearance from the wall to recline. But one of these chairs would be so cool, even if less practicle.

Anyone have any experience with these and have an opinion? I'm familiar with the wall huggers (I've built them before) but have had nothing to do with swivel/rocker recliners.

Just thought I'd ask the masses!!

Jarro
27th December 2005, 08:24 PM
this would be so much easier with some pic's of the layout Goughy :wink:

any chance you can make me a recliner while you're at it :lol:

goughy
27th December 2005, 08:41 PM
Layout's pretty easy. The lounge area is about 3.5mtrs deep and 4 to 4.5 mtrs wide (depends on how much of the open plan room I want to take for it). The tv is on one side and the rest is on the other wall. Gonna have a corner or chaise extension suit in the corner extending up to about 3 or 3.5 mtrs (a big sucker), with my recliner next to it. The front door is also in this room,and you have to walk between the tv and lounge to get to it. So there will be no coffe table etc in the room.

Does that help?

And yes, I can build you one. But while you may be free (see chat room thread to understand) I cost a bundle.

Got to build a suite for my sister soon too. I have no doubt she'll get hers first.

markTHEblake
27th December 2005, 08:45 PM
The important thing is to make sure that the path from fridge to chair is uncluttered, otherwise Clikchic might spill your beer.

goughy
27th December 2005, 09:05 PM
With the swivel I can turn it about 30* and I have an uncluttered straight line to the fridge. And I would never ask clikchic to get me a beer. My life wouldn't be worth living!

Jarro
27th December 2005, 09:08 PM
Goughy, you never ask the missus to get you a beer from the fridge [-(

... that's the kids job :smt023

terryand
27th December 2005, 09:09 PM
rocker recliner is the way to go Goughy :smt023

Terry.

Courty
27th December 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm with Tezza on this one. 8)