PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a course in SEQ for girls

jodiej
29th June 2013, 02:25 PM
My daughter and I would like to join a club on the southern end of The Gold Coast, would like a course that isn't overly expensive and is female friendly, ie, has woman's competitions and where the men don't see us as being an inconvenience, my daughter is 17 and has a 29 handicap my handicap is 32. Does anyone here have a partner who is a member at any club?

AndyP
29th June 2013, 04:30 PM
You would be limited for options, if it has to be on the Southern end of the Gold Coast, wouldn't you?

Looney
29th June 2013, 05:27 PM
I am a member of both Lakelands and Burleigh. While I don't play that much at burleigh I know it has a large and active ladies membership. Lakelands on the other hand has only a small membership (about 350 all up) which is great for getting on the course when you want but I think it might not suit you cost wise.

golfbound
29th June 2013, 05:41 PM
Emerald Lake has the most female comps running i think they have about 5 per week for females and comps 7 days a week for mixed. If you would like to join please let me know i can organise a good deal.

live4golf
29th June 2013, 05:43 PM
You should be right, most of the main posters on here are girls from SEQ and they all seem to get regular games.

:)

popper81
29th June 2013, 06:59 PM
You should be right, most of the main posters on here are girls from SEQ and they all seem to get regular games.

:)

Gold mate, great work.

markTHEblake
29th June 2013, 07:18 PM
There are no 'Men Only' golf courses on the gold coast, all have womens comps. But suggest go visit the clubs in your area, ask to play in the comp as you are considering joining, and see what its like. Though you only have Banora, Coolangatta, on the southside and they are inexpensive. Anything else around the floodplains and Burleigh are all well over $1000pa and have joining fees.

petethepilot
29th June 2013, 09:21 PM
Nudgee, lots of girls play there!

Ferrins
30th June 2013, 06:14 AM
You know that any wit that you have will dissapate very quickly living in Tasmania.

markTHEblake
30th June 2013, 08:09 AM
Nudgee, lots of girls play there! Nudgee is on the south gold coast?

jodiej
30th June 2013, 09:52 AM
We went and had a look at a few courses, first one we put a line through was emerald lakes, put a line through Burleigh looks like a golf club for a retirement village and the dirty old men leering at my daughter uuugghh, then we looked at tally and coplicks?? Goat tracks and expensive for what they are, banora was ok from what we saw, but the gem of them was coolangatta once we worked out how to get into the place, yeah I know woman and maps. Very nice very cheap very friendly, lots of young ppl on the green and practice fairway, saw 5 girls all under 20 practising so this will be were we play, Tuesday has woman's comp and can play most days if you book in advance, lovely practice facillities not that I will use them but my daughter will, if she can't play she is happy to spend hours putting and chipping, too boring for me, I'd sooner sit in the club house and have s few beveridges.

jodiej
30th June 2013, 10:02 AM
We drove into palm meadows and drove straight back our too busy, then stopped into 3 or 4 courses at the back of robina all looked nice but are expensive, Lisa wanted to look at robina woods I said it was too hilly but she is really fit and said she didn't mind, she said it would be easier walking that than running on soft sand at training each day. We decided to keep looking after much talk we decided on tweed heads, we didn't realise either that they have 2 courses that's a bonus.

sms316
30th June 2013, 11:40 AM
We went and had a look at a few courses, first one we put a line through was emerald lakes, put a line through Burleigh looks like a golf club for a retirement village and the dirty old men leering at my daughter uuugghh, then we looked at tally and coplicks?? Goat tracks and expensive for what they are, banora was ok from what we saw, but the gem of them was coolangatta once we worked out how to get into the place, yeah I know woman and maps. Very nice very cheap very friendly, lots of young ppl on the green and practice fairway, saw 5 girls all under 20 practising so this will be were we play, Tuesday has woman's comp and can play most days if you book in advance, lovely practice facillities not that I will use them but my daughter will, if she can't play she is happy to spend hours putting and chipping, too boring for me, I'd sooner sit in the club house and have s few beveridges.Pics? (Only so I can make an unbiased judgement on the character of the members).

Dotty
30th June 2013, 11:51 AM
Pics? (Only so I can make an unbiased judgement on the character of the members).
You want pictures of dirty old men?

sms316
30th June 2013, 12:33 PM
You want pictures of dirty old men? Sure. Take a selfie when you aren't too busy.

razaar
30th June 2013, 01:27 PM
We went and had a look at a few courses, first one we put a line through was emerald lakes, put a line through Burleigh looks like a golf club for a retirement village and the dirty old men leering at my daughter uuugghh, then we looked at tally and coplicks?? Goat tracks and expensive for what they are, banora was ok from what we saw, but the gem of them was coolangatta once we worked out how to get into the place, yeah I know woman and maps. Very nice very cheap very friendly, lots of young ppl on the green and practice fairway, saw 5 girls all under 20 practising so this will be were we play, Tuesday has woman's comp and can play most days if you book in advance, lovely practice facillities not that I will use them but my daughter will, if she can't play she is happy to spend hours putting and chipping, too boring for me, I'd sooner sit in the club house and have s few beveridges.
Is this a troll thread? Well done, if it is.

Captain Nemo
30th June 2013, 01:39 PM
Igolf's back?

jodiej
30th June 2013, 02:12 PM
Troll thread? Not sure what that means, Lisa says it is an internet stirrer looking for arguments, not really what I am looking for if I wanted an arguement I would not have divorced my husband. Simply after some course suggestions, and as it seems we've found one. Downloaded the forms, now we just need some proposers, seems a bit old fashioned in this day and age.

How do you get people to sign your forms when you've just moved here and don't know anyone at the club.

Who is igolf?

Captain Nemo
30th June 2013, 02:23 PM
Just an in-joke.
Good luck with your search, enjoy your golf!

Hatchman
30th June 2013, 03:58 PM
Think you got the wrong forum. You belong @ ISG.

goughy
30th June 2013, 04:43 PM
Troll thread? Not sure what that means, Lisa says it is an internet stirrer looking for arguments, not really what I am looking for if I wanted an arguement I would not have divorced my husband. Simply after some course suggestions, and as it seems we've found one. Downloaded the forms, now we just need some proposers, seems a bit old fashioned in this day and age.

How do you get people to sign your forms when you've just moved here and don't know anyone at the club.

Who is igolf?

Just ignore the in house comments that make no sense to you.

Joining a club isn't quite like joining a gym, they are a 'club' in the true sense of the word. I'm sure some are very 'stand on ceremony', others less so. At mine when you join it has the same thing, needing a proposer and seconder on your nomination form, but at reception they just tell you to leave that blank and when your nomination form comes up before the committee two of them just put there names down on it. Would be best to just fill out what you can then take them in and check with the other stuff.

Dotty
30th June 2013, 04:48 PM
Sure. Take a selfie when you aren't too busy.
Close enough?

markTHEblake
30th June 2013, 04:56 PM
The writing style appears vaguely familiar?

sms316
30th June 2013, 05:04 PM
Close enough?25568 Since when do you have hair on your head?

Dotty
30th June 2013, 05:23 PM
Since when do you have hair on your head?
About the same time that the Raiders were premiers.

markTHEblake
30th June 2013, 05:43 PM
We went and had a look at a few courses

Between 2.25pm Saturday and 9.52am Sunday you visited 10 golf courses? Thats impressive logistics!
Then again woman are always better at organising stuff. A bloke would have taken a week to do that, me a month cos I would have a 100 point questionnaire to fill out on each one, and then have to analyse it.

jodiej
3rd July 2013, 10:11 AM
Why would you assume we looked at all the courses in one day? Lisa works at a gym in robina and we looked at 4 or 5 after work, this website certainly has some strange people is that normal for golf websites? Reminds me of my school teaching days of kids trying to make a more smart ass comment than who commented before.

goughy
3rd July 2013, 10:27 AM
It's actually normal for pretty much all forum sites. The simplest ways to deal with it are to ignore any comments/threads that don't interest you, report those that offend you (there is a report button, you can leave a comment, and then the moderators and admin will be notified). There is actually a wealth of knowledge and advice around, but sometimes you have to look past the other stuff. You soon learn who to and not to listen to.

Your school days comment is apt.

LeftyHoges
3rd July 2013, 10:33 AM
Why would you assume we looked at all the courses in one day? Lisa works at a gym in robina and we looked at 4 or 5 after work, this website certainly has some strange people is that normal for golf websites? Reminds me of my school teaching days of kids trying to make a more smart ass comment than who commented before.

Rodent
3rd July 2013, 11:38 AM
Simply after some course suggestions
You're probably more likely to get some coarse suggestions...

3Puttpete
3rd July 2013, 12:14 PM

*arse

Rodent
3rd July 2013, 12:22 PM
Smart ass=

shazza_rs
4th July 2013, 07:09 AM
Good luck with your application Jodie. Coolangatta Tweed is a great place. Two courses is a fantastic advantage and they are quite different from each other.

I play at Nudgee purely for the ladies competition on a Saturday where we get 60-80 ladies playing.

If you ever want to catch up for a game let me know.

PS. Ignore the rest of the blokes in this thread.

markTHEblake
4th July 2013, 07:11 AM
Why would you assume we looked at all the courses in one day?Because that is how it reads. In less than half a day you went from knowing nothing about any course to having visited them all and made your decision.
Reminds me of my school teaching days of kids trying to make a more smart ass comment than who commented before. I gave you and women in general a compliment.

Vice MC
4th July 2013, 09:15 AM
Gentleman and a scholar...shucks

Double D
11th July 2013, 08:31 PM
You must see Craig at Coolangatta, he is a great lad and will look after you both.

damoocow
12th July 2013, 07:22 PM

This is an awesome post - I like jodiej