PDA

View Full Version : Gambling in sport

mike
27th June 2013, 07:45 AM
(I'm on my phone. Can one of the mods please make some paragrahs here please)
I saw something last night that made me sick to the stomach. As you all probably know I hate gambling but more so despise micro betting. It promotes corruption and self gain and is a blight on any sport.

Tom Waterhouse, the smarmy smug faced c@&t that he is, was banging on about a promotion he had through his agency that went something like; if you place a minimum $100 bet on qld or nsw and either Myles or Gallen get penalised, you get your money back.

What got my attention more than the fight and sin binning was the catalyst for the whole blowup. ie Paul Gallen lying all over the tackled player. It had the Ryan Tandy look about it, it was too similar. The cynic in me suggests either Gallen or Hayne had something to gain, Gallen by laying on the tackled player for an eternity, and Hayne for not blowing the whistle. It was all too obvious and I can smell fish.

Dotty
27th June 2013, 07:55 AM
+1

There should only be betting allowed on things that can't order their dinner off a menu.

Jockeys included.

Captain Nemo
27th June 2013, 07:57 AM
Where there's money to be gained, there's always going to be corruption.
Been happening long before sportsbetting has been around...

Sydney Hacker
27th June 2013, 08:01 AM
I don't like the exposure betting has at the moment, but in defence (that hurts to type) of the smary tosser, it was to a maximum of $100 I think. If Gallen or Myles are prepared to prostitute themselves over $100 the world has bigger problems!

Captain Nemo
27th June 2013, 08:03 AM
I don't like the exposure betting has at the moment, but in defence (that hurts to type) of the smary tosser, it was to a maximum of $100 I think. If Gallen or Myles are prepared to prostitute themselves over $100 the world has bigger problems!
100% Correct
And there was prob a small fine print that you had to read prob only open to the first 10 poeple etc...
And who knows how many bets he accepts on that?

Tom Waterhouse
27th June 2013, 08:32 AM
Gambling on sport enhances your viewing experience and I provide a valuable service to the community.

Tom Waterhouse OAM (soon to be ratified)

Captain Nemo
27th June 2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Tom.
Now when you say to ther first "100" punters, how many do you "really" give the overs to....?

PerryGroves
27th June 2013, 08:41 AM

As a recreational punter I like all the different options being offered however I also recognise that the more this stuff is offered the more Ryan Tandy/cricket no ball things occur. As I have said before I know people find TW an annoying little prat but he doesn't run bookmaking in Australia, we now have William Hill (Sportingbet/Centrebet) Paddy Power (Sportsbet) and Betfair (for years), all English, all who obviously see Australia as fertile ground. These guys are a very powerful lobby, rest assured they are cultivating pollies to oppose any reform or regulation.

I think the maximum bet size thing is a good way to stop the corruption feeding through but still giving the recreational punter a few options rather than win and line bets.

Whilst sports betting is growing, I don't think its a curse like pokies.

Tom Waterhouse
27th June 2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Tom.
Now when you say to ther first "100" punters, how many do you "really" give the overs to....?
As many as is deemed to be in the national interest, because I only do what I do to provide a service. It isn't easy doing what I do to make people happy.

No more questions from you until you change your location.

Captain Nemo
27th June 2013, 08:48 AM
As many as is deemed to be in the national interest, because I only do what I do to provide a service. It isn't easy doing what I do to make people happy.

No more questions from you until you change your location.

:smt038
Well played.
You should be aware im the account holder with you for the Ozgolf Punters Club.
How about throwing us some overs....:wink:

Vice MC
27th June 2013, 08:58 AM
Slightly paranoid i think there Mike... Gallen is a grub of the highest order but i don't think he'd even be that stupid.

3Puttpete
27th June 2013, 09:02 AM
There'd be no money in Gallen or Myles being penalised.

The money is in them not being penalised no matter what they do.

mike
27th June 2013, 09:20 AM
Maybe i didn't listen closely enough to TW. Didn't realise it was $100 max. I may well be a tad paranoid about this but i still believe the micro betting issue is a blight on the sport. Any sport.

mike
27th June 2013, 09:22 AM
Having said that I still reckon Gallen was trying to get his $100 back. The game was gone at that stage.

Captain Nemo
27th June 2013, 09:23 AM
Having said that I still reckon Gallen was trying to get his $100 back. The game was gone at that stage.

:lol:

markTHEblake
27th June 2013, 05:23 PM
Its the Australian culture, bet on two flies crawling up a wall. Tom Waterhouse just making money off that. Good on him too, I am all in favour for fools to part with their money and help offset some of my taxes while they do that.

Looney
27th June 2013, 05:38 PM
I love to have a bet on sports, I only do it for fun and would never bet more than in can afford to drop on a night on the piss. I understand some people have problems with gambling and I would like to say I feel for them but I don't if they bet more than they can afford to then that's there problem. Fools and their money something something Tom Waterhouse wins

Eag's
28th June 2013, 01:26 PM
As a recreational punter I like all the different options being offered however I also recognise that the more this stuff is offered the more Ryan Tandy/cricket no ball things occur. As I have said before I know people find TW an annoying little prat but he doesn't run bookmaking in Australia, we now have William Hill (Sportingbet/Centrebet) Paddy Power (Sportsbet) and Betfair (for years), all English, all who obviously see Australia as fertile ground. These guys are a very powerful lobby, rest assured they are cultivating pollies to oppose any reform or regulation.

I think the maximum bet size thing is a good way to stop the corruption feeding through but still giving the recreational punter a few options rather than win and line bets.

Whilst sports betting is growing, I don't think its a curse like pokies.

+1

Tom Waterhouse
28th June 2013, 02:13 PM
Some of you mob are sooks. In a month or two, when all of the political ads are bombarding us, you lot will be lamenting the good old days of Honest Tom and his couple of ads every Friday.

mike
28th June 2013, 04:21 PM
Geez you're a dickhead.

markTHEblake
28th June 2013, 05:11 PM
I like political ads. Reminds me how lucky we are to live in a free country