PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jim, how did you like NSW GC?

Speirsy11
24th December 2005, 07:24 PM
Jim

Just noticed on GameTrack that you played NSW on the 11th....How did you like it? I played it a few days later and thought it was in as good a condition as I've ever seen it, and was playing exactly as you would want it to. Firm, but not HARD, fast, but not crazy......My Dad ever went so far as to say it was as good as Royal Melbourne, which we played on the 11th........

Just looking for your opinion.....

Speirsy

AndyP
25th December 2005, 04:10 PM
He left some comments after playing it with Grunt and marcel.

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69144#69144

jimandr
29th December 2005, 10:26 PM
And I'll leave some more comments now, after playing Concord today.

First of all, nice to hear from Mr Spiers, our new Western Australian correspondent. Look forward to reading more stuff from you.

I'll say again that NSW is the best course I've ever played. If Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle etc are better then they must be really good.

One thing that sets NSW apart from almost anywhere else is the WOW factor. I never said that once today about a hole I played at Concord. There were many times at NSW I looked back after finishing the hole and thought 'what a great hole'.

I really enjoyed the decision-making aspect of the course. It was possible to take a safe option and a risky option, with the penalty for the risk being quite severe if the choice turned out wrong. Again, I didn't feel that at Concord today.

Rob's original comments on NSW referred to the distance of modern players somewhat compromising the original design concept. With my lack of said distance I may have been playing shots from the places the good players may have played from in the 30's and 40's. The par 5's were not reachable for me, while they would be for many players today.

Nevertheless, the breeze provides its own defence at NSW in many instances. Most of the time, I suspect the course can look after itself. I hope they never get tempted to change it.