PDA

View Full Version : Looney's first attempt at club making

Looney
25th June 2013, 06:57 AM
I am thinking for trying my hand at reshafting some irons, my experience in club making so far is a grip change for a putter so not huge.

So I have a set of ping isi becu irons with the original ping jz shafts in them but they are to soft for me so I would like to look at putting in something stiffer (currently I play s300's in all my irons so will be looking for something similar to try out). I understand that pings are a little harder to pull the shafts on than other because of the epoxy they use but with a heat gun and a little force they can be pulled.

I am keen for any suggestions re shafts to try and if you think I am taking on more than I should with my limited experience. Also is there any suggestions regarding what type of epoxy to use.

chappy1970
25th June 2013, 07:22 AM
Looney pulling iron heads is no big deal, applying the right amount of heat then removing the heads is not challenging.

Where you will need to be careful is with the iron heads you want to pull. They are BeCU, so I would recommend a mask of some sort due to the risk of toxic fumes

Captain Nemo
25th June 2013, 08:02 AM
Like Chappy said, be careful with the becu's, id get a pro to do it....

Looney
25th June 2013, 08:16 AM
What's the fun in getting a pro to do it titleist?

Dotty
25th June 2013, 08:25 AM
You may need to play in a cart, because your lungs could be so bad that you can't walk the course.

BeCu kills. That's why they stopped making these clubs 20 years ago.

Captain Nemo
25th June 2013, 08:30 AM
See above....
Just get him to pull them all and you do the rest?

Looney
25th June 2013, 08:36 AM
ok thanks guy will get the pulled by a pro as I didn't realise the risk on the becu. any suggestions on what shafts to put in them?

Captain Nemo
25th June 2013, 08:39 AM
Stiffer shafts and 2 part golf epoxy!
Everything you need here:
http://www.aussiecustomgolf.com.au/shop/

Looney
25th June 2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks titleist I will check them out

Captain Nemo
25th June 2013, 08:52 AM
Coupla sets of x100's lying about in the pro shop....