PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 24th June 2013

matty
24th June 2013, 01:35 PM
Social hit at Stonies off comp tees. 5 over in wet conditions. Fairways pretty wet but no rain. Caused a couple of fat shots. Missed only one fairway. Unfortunately had stupid, stupid, stupid, doubles on the par 3's on 16&17. Very happy with the rest.

KristianJ
24th June 2013, 03:45 PM
Social hit at Stonies for me as well...albeit a couple of hours after Matt teed off.

Horrendous front 9...53, a 4 putt GIR on the 1st, terrible bunker play...you name it, I did it.

+4 on the back 9 though. Stupid double on 17 for me as well.

Greens are tremendous though...

AndyP
24th June 2013, 04:30 PM
24/06/2013, Wolston Park GC, Social 9 Holes.

Score: 37 (+2)

Stupid game! I have a 7 week break and come back and feel great over the ball first hit out.

Next round: Stableford comp on Saturday. I need to start building up towards pennant season, although playing golf seems to be bad for my golf game.

matty
24th June 2013, 04:37 PM
Greens are tremendous though...

Thought the same. Great speed and very true.

playing golf seems to be bad for my golf game.

Haha. Finding the same. The less I play, the better!

Outcast
24th June 2013, 10:10 PM
I had a social 9 last Friday... I'm not sure I've ever played so badly...

Other than that, I have been taking a break & I've yet to decide when I'll go back to playing. It had only been a week.. clearly that wasn't long enough..

Not really missing it much to tell the truth

Outcast
26th June 2013, 04:34 PM
First comp round back for a few weeks..

New Razr Xtreme Driver in the bag... it's a friggin bomb & straight too... shame that my iron play sucks dogs balls big time at the moment & my putting wasn't real hot either...

32 Pts, best round in a while though, not saying much really....

Shortylook
27th June 2013, 08:27 PM
Had 35 points today, played pretty crappy. But on a high note had a birdie a par 3 and won closest to the pin.

Outcast
27th June 2013, 08:39 PM
Shorty,

Well done on the 35 pts today, you'll be off single figures in no time at all at this rate

Just curious but, why do you start a new thread to post your score this week?

Generally, someone starts a new weekly thread on a Monday & we just add to it until yet a new one starts the following Monday. Occasionally, we get lazy & keep posting in the thread well into the next week. Well, until someone notices anyway...

Not a biggy but, as I said, just curious

KristianJ
27th June 2013, 09:13 PM
Threads merged...

mike
27th June 2013, 09:16 PM
Excellent. Ozgolf is such a well oiled machine.

Shortylook
27th June 2013, 09:35 PM
Shorty,

Well done on the 35 pts today, you'll be off single figures in no time at all at this rate

Just curious but, why do you start a new thread to post your score this week?

Generally, someone starts a new weekly thread on a Monday & we just add to it until yet a new one starts the following Monday. Occasionally, we get lazy & keep posting in the thread well into the next week. Well, until someone notices anyway...

Not a biggy but, as I said, just curious
Um not sure, I just posted to the last WDYSLW colum thread. :x

Courty
28th June 2013, 08:48 PM
I played in the Navy day at Sea Temple Palmer Sea Reef today. I came second with 78/71 (the winner shot 85/59 :shock:). Only 1 birdie on the 9th, and no doubles (first round in bloody ages without at least one double or worse). 3 x 3 putts were a bit annoying, but unsurprising as I struggle to pick the subtle breaks up there.

Hatchman
28th June 2013, 09:17 PM
I played in the Navy day at Sea Temple Palmer Sea Reef today. I came second with 78/71 (the winner shot 85/59 :shock:). Only 1 birdie on the 9th, and no doubles (first round in bloody ages without at least one double or worse). 3 x 3 putts were a bit annoying, but unsurprising as I struggle to pick the subtle breaks up there.

Great round by the 26 handicapper.

BenM
28th June 2013, 09:22 PM
Great round by the 26 handicapper bandit.

Fixed that for you ;)

AndyP
29th June 2013, 01:03 PM
29/06/13, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

6/11 effective tee-shots, 6/18 effective approaches, 7/9 up and down successes, 1/2 sand saves, 28 putts.
0 birdies, 14 pars, 4 bogeys, 0 others.

Scoring: PPPBPPPP BPPPPBBPP
(http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20120820-p102.html)Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20130629-p120.html): 36-35-71 stab 21-20-41pts. (Par 35-32-67 ACR 65)

H/cap Change: -0.6 -> 8.4.

Practising, playing lots and warming up are overrated. My first comp in 8 weeks and I equal my course PB (albeit with one temp hole). Very solid game all round with the approaches being the weak link. The short game made up for that though. It would have been nice to get a birdie or two when I was hitting greens, as a few were a good chance, but only par putts would drop today.

Next round: The first pennant trial at Ashgrove in two weeks time.

Lucasto23
29th June 2013, 01:09 PM
Nice work Andy,

Jindalee single stab - shocking 31pts
3 over front 9
8 over back 9 with a triple, and two doubles was headless to say the least

3Puttpete
29th June 2013, 01:34 PM
Oh what could have been!

30 points
8/13 fairways
4 GIR

6 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles, 6 wipes

Courty
29th June 2013, 03:39 PM
-3 in a Par vs. Bogey Bisque :? at Cairns GC this morning.

I obviously used up all my good shots yesterday, as there weren't too many to be had today. I did make a 2-putt birdie after driving the 1st green, and held the NTP on the long par 3 5th when I left. But the rest was completely unremarkable.

It may be worth noting that Solarman had a 3-putt par. Not once, but twice. :shock:

AndyP
29th June 2013, 04:27 PM
How does that format work, Courty?

Courty
29th June 2013, 04:56 PM
It's versus Par scoring (pluses, squares and minuses), and Busque means you get to chose which holes you get your shots on.

timah!
29th June 2013, 05:01 PM
34 points around a soggy soggy soggy Gainsborough Greens. I knew it had been raining from the state of my yard, but didn't expect the amount of water that lay around GG.

All in all though pretty happy. Uni starts next week, so no idea when my next round will be.

AndyP
29th June 2013, 05:08 PM
I've never played a bisque. Is it good for something different?

Outcast
29th June 2013, 05:12 PM
+2 in Par Vs Bisque Bogey at Cairns today..

Drove very well (I'm really loving this new Razr Xtreme driver); approach shots were somewhat unremarkable although I did manage 8 GIR today

35 putts... was not very helpful... My iron play still sucks dogs balls...:cry:

WBennett
29th June 2013, 06:37 PM
37 points to win A Grade today.
Lipped out 5 (yes 5) birdie putts.
Could have been anything.

One week of 11 and back down to 10.

popper81
29th June 2013, 06:56 PM

Good job, Benno... Congrats!!!!!!!!

Courty
29th June 2013, 06:58 PM
I've never played a bisque. Is it good for something different?

I guess it depends on how you chose to use the shots, and how well you happen to play on the day. Vs Par always rewards consistency (which I tend to lack, hence my bias against the format). Without thinking too hard about it, I would think that the final score wouldn't vary too much regardless which holes the shots are used on. I used most of my shots on the same holes I would have in a non-Bisque round, because they are (generally) the most difficult. That said, I can mess up the non-shot holes just as easily as I can birdie shot holes.

The good thing about todays event was that it was still an individual event, which I rate higher than any 4BBB. The only real negative that I can see is that (as I witnessed today) people tend to stand around longer between holes trying to decide if they will use a shot or not.

Ferrins
29th June 2013, 07:01 PM
Good shooting AndyP, I haven't made 7 up and downs this year..

Dingo
29th June 2013, 07:15 PM
I guess it depends on how you chose to use the shots, and how well you happen to play on the day. Vs Par always rewards consistency (which I tend to lack, hence my bias against the format). Without thinking too hard about it, I would think that the final score wouldn't vary too much regardless which holes the shots are used on. I used most of my shots on the same holes I would have in a non-Bisque round, because they are (generally) the most difficult. That said, I can mess up the non-shot holes just as easily as I can birdie shot holes. The good thing about todays event was that it was still an individual event, which I rate higher than any 4BBB. The only real negative that I can see is that (as I witnessed today) people tend to stand around longer between holes trying to decide if they will use a shot or not.

I played in the comp at Cairns today as well. First time in the bisque idea. Scored square. My experience was different to yours. At least two or three times I completely stuffed up holes where I got a stroke. As a result I got to save those strokes until later in the round.

The strategy aspect was interesting. Do you use two strokes to score a square after a double bogey or call it a loss and save the shots hoping to make two pars later on?

WBennett
29th June 2013, 07:26 PM
I just worked out the stats.

9/14 fairways
9/18 greens

1 shank
32 putts
no FRATS.
6 beers.

Courty
29th June 2013, 09:01 PM
I played in the comp at Cairns today as well. First time in the bisque idea. Scored square. My experience was different to yours. At least two or three times I completely stuffed up holes where I got a stroke. As a result I got to save those strokes until later in the round. The strategy aspect was interesting. Do you use two strokes to score a square after a double bogey or call it a loss and save the shots hoping to make two pars later on?Interesting. What would you have scored if today was s stableford round?

bergsey
29th June 2013, 10:52 PM
42 points for Bergsey today after dragging myself out of bed with the flu. Drove the ball pretty ordinary but got up and down regularly. Beware the injured golfer!

Jeffo1123
30th June 2013, 01:21 AM
42 points for Bergsey today after dragging myself out of bed with the flu. Drove the ball pretty ordinary but got up and down regularly. Beware the injured golfer! Good shooting there Bergs!!!Get a win for the comp?

bergsey
30th June 2013, 10:17 AM
2nd on count back. Perfect conditions yesterday so some good scoring.

idgolfguy
30th June 2013, 10:23 AM
2nd on count back. Perfect conditions yesterday so some good scoring.

Commiserations, Bergsey. Good shooting though.

PeteyD
30th June 2013, 10:39 AM
The only bisque strategy I have heard is try and use all your shots to help with countbacks. So I guess it is get 9 on the back 9 if you can.

idgolfguy
30th June 2013, 10:41 AM

Good win, Benno. Putting!

bergsey
30th June 2013, 11:22 AM
Commiserations, Bergsey. Good shooting though. Cheers 23 putts helped. Nailed most inside 6 feet

Had 39 off the stick on the front nine, first time i've shot sub 40 for a nine at Yokine so pretty stoked with that. 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a (silly) double.

Lucasto23
30th June 2013, 11:43 AM
37 points to win A Grade today. Lipped out 5 (yes 5) birdie putts.Could have been anything.One week of 11 and back down to 10. Nice work mr spud

graham_w
30th June 2013, 06:25 PM
37 (15/22) points in the wind and rain at Royal Nudgee today for an equal PB 86 (46/40) good enough for 2nd in my div

First comp round out with my Razr X Tour irons shafted up with C-Tapers. Very happy with them.

Cap down to 15.8 (still playing off 16 but going in the right direction)

backintheswing
30th June 2013, 07:11 PM
Played yesterday for 72 gross at Mackay. 2 birdies and 3 bogies. Was 2nd best gross score of the day out of 230 in the comp.

JADO75
30th June 2013, 08:44 PM
34pts in the slop at Penrith today including five 1 pointers & two wipes, finished bogie bogie to get done in a count back (choker!) Course was a mud pie but it was great to get out & have a hit

Dingo
1st July 2013, 03:43 AM
Interesting. What would you have scored if today was s stableford round?

Based on reusing two strokes on holes where I would have had a wipe with a stroke, and scoring a birdie for what would have been a four pointer on number 9, I think I'd have done no better than 33 points.

Dingo
1st July 2013, 03:47 AM
The only bisque strategy I have heard is try and use all your shots to help with countbacks. So I guess it is get 9 on the back 9 if you can.

Being a par round, one other strategy is not to waste your strokes on holes where you make a birdie. I don't think it would have been as interesting to play a bisque stableford.

Mububban
1st July 2013, 10:21 AM
Shot 91 at my local public course, 5 pars, one birdie, but two triple bogeys and too many doubles as well :( I've had to accept the inconsistencies of high handicap golf due to my lack of regular play or practise. I drove fairly well, that's improved a lot. 31 putts was about average for me. Had a pitching/chipping implosion on 11 for triple after par the previous hole. Sigh.

Waddzy
1st July 2013, 11:28 AM
Shot 36 points last Wednesday somehow.. was all over the place but must of scrambled well.. came to Saturday had my first lesson with our local pro , worked a lot on hitting down on the ball, started the round great , sitting on 14 points after 5 holes , 5 par's that soon followed a 4 double bogey finish to the front 9, I gotta stop looking at my card :S , once again started the back 9 great , 3 solid pars , birdie on 13 and then either 1 pointers or wipes, wiped 17 and 18 with shanks.. went away from my original swing thoughts at the start of the day. 32 point finish but what could of been if I kept my head in the game. Looking forward to actually having a crack at getting to low teens with some effective practice.

Shortylook
1st July 2013, 02:02 PM
Shot 36 points last Wednesday somehow.. was all over the place but must of scrambled well.. came to Saturday had my first lesson with our local pro , worked a lot on hitting down on the ball, started the round great , sitting on 14 points after 5 holes , 5 par's that soon followed a 4 double bogey finish to the front 9, I gotta stop looking at my card :S , once again started the back 9 great , 3 solid pars , birdie on 13 and then either 1 pointers or wipes, wiped 17 and 18 with shanks.. went away from my original swing thoughts at the start of the day. 32 point finish but what could of been if I kept my head in the game. Looking forward to actually having a crack at getting to low teens with some effective practice.
Hey Waddzy, I've somehow managed to get a small change in my swing for some reason. Seems I'm hitting down on the ball a lot more after my last lesson. When I do this and keep my finish I hit the ball really well.
Eg 150 ish and I can almost hit green with 7 iron. Before a 5 iron would almost get me there. I don't do it after enough but. Little brain farts keep creeping in unfortunately.

rubin
1st July 2013, 02:12 PM
22 F***ING points yesterday at Mandurah. Distracted all day, and just couldn't really score from mostly great tee shots.

Got off the tee pretty well for the most part, Driver, 3wood Hybrid behaved very well, and hit most fairways (didn't keep stats this time). A few highlights from the tee - driving the corner on 4 to go driver, 5 iron (flew the green unfortunately, misjudged the distance), and tee shot on 10.

dropped so many shots with the short game. just not committing to the shot, and on a lot of chip shots I was decelerating into the ball, or just plain old stuffing them up.

If i keep playing like this, Yoss's $100 will be safe.

idgolfguy
1st July 2013, 02:51 PM
We have those days!

Mububban
1st July 2013, 10:14 PM
We have those days!

But we all keep coming back for more!!!

BenM
2nd July 2013, 09:38 PM
I had 33 points on Saturday, which was a great turnaround from 23 points the week before and probably the best I've played in months.

Had 2 unplayable lies in the first 2 holes - great start. But then played pretty solidly, a few bad holes but quite a lot of fantastic golf shots, and missed 3 or 4 really good birdie opportunities from 6-15 feet. Made me remember why I play this damn game!

hocko
2nd July 2013, 09:41 PM
22 F***ING points yesterday at Mandurah. Distracted all day, and just couldn't really score from mostly great tee shots.

Got off the tee pretty well for the most part, Driver, 3wood Hybrid behaved very well, and hit most fairways (didn't keep stats this time). A few highlights from the tee - driving the corner on 4 to go driver, 5 iron (flew the green unfortunately, misjudged the distance), and tee shot on 10.

dropped so many shots with the short game. just not committing to the shot, and on a lot of chip shots I was decelerating into the ball, or just plain old stuffing them up.

If i keep playing like this, Yoss's $100 will be safe.

Why were you distracted?