PDA

View Full Version : AFL to go to 9 ?????

Jarro
23rd December 2005, 05:30 PM
Nine 'secures' TV rights
By staff writers and wires
December 23, 2005

THE AFL has accepted a massive $780 million bid from Channel 9 for the new television broadcast rights deal.

The league announced its decision this afternoon at AFL House in Melbourne, chairman Ron Evans and chief executive Andrew Demetriou confirming the deal.

It represents one of the biggest deal for a sporting event in Australia's history.

The deal will not be secured for at least another fortnight.

"This does not mean the process is over," Evans said of today's announcement.

"We have advised the Seven Network and the Ten Network of the decision and they have up to 14 days to match that offer."

Under the first-and-last rights clause, the bid by Channels 7 and 10 have 14 calendar days to match Nine's offer.

With the Christmas period coming up, that is reduced in business terms by public holidays.

However, the AFL did not agree that this put the Seven and Ten constortium at any disadavantage.

Currents rights holder Nine, in conjunction with Foxtel, has been bidding for the new deal against a joint Seven and Ten consortium.
The AFL had been resigned to continuing negotiations into the new year, but its executive held an emergency meeting yesterday afternoon and another this morning to allow today's announcment to be made.

The new deal will start in 2007 and will run for either five or six years.

It allows Nine to sub-licence up to four games to another free-to-air or pay-TV operator.

No details were given of what the deal woudl bring to the Sydney and Brisbane markets, which are already saturated by Nine's National Rugby League coverage.

The deal also does not cover Internet, mobile or 3G rights.

Nine and Ten will broadcast AFL in 2006 before the new deal takes hold.

gazgolf1
23rd December 2005, 05:49 PM
They've had it for a few years now and suck at it.....nuthin new. :?

AndyP
23rd December 2005, 05:57 PM
Ch 7 and 10 have the opportunity to match the offer. Fingers crossed that we don't have Eddie for another 5 years.

If 9 get it, Friday and Saturday night footy on free-to-air will be practically non-existent and shafted to 1am the next morning, as 9 plan to show double header bum-sniffing matches, I believe.
However, those with Fox may get it live.

You can be sure that whoever wins the rights, Dennis Cometti will be there.

Jarro
23rd December 2005, 08:17 PM
AndyP .. i believe the contract states 4 games Live per week, 4 games delayed telecast. Not sure how they're going to fit them all in with 9 already commited to the NRL. I also believe i heard on the news that if a Rugby league game was to clash with an AFL game .. the AFL would be shown on SBS :?

markTHEblake
23rd December 2005, 09:51 PM
didnt you read the story.

It allows Nine to sub-licence up to four games to another free-to-air or pay-TV operator.

The AFL has realised that there were several flaws in the current broadcast agreement mainly Channel 9's friday night clash with NRL, and have stipulated that the new rights must address this - in other words there will be live Friday night football in Brisbane on Free to Air television no matter what.

This could even mean that if 9 gets the rights again they may be forced to give away the games for free if nobody pays there asking price. Dont tell me we will be seeing Indira Naidoo and Andrew Denton doing Friday night Live ?

Also a major change is Ch9 bidding for the rights on their own. though its obvios they will onsell to Foxtel

AndyP
24th December 2005, 06:03 AM
I heard that Head of Sports at SBS Les Murray said no to a partnership with Ch 9 for broadcasting AFL games after 9 approached them.

Details of who broadcasts what won't be released until the 14 days are up anyway. So it's all speculation ATM.

Fishman Dan
27th December 2005, 07:04 AM
I see 9 as the big evil. I seriously hope 7 and 10 catch up with them. Although they say they will broadcast all 8 games, somehow i sense that NSW and QLD viewers will get stiffed.

Apparently it will mean SBS show the Friday night games live?

Please... let Eddie rest.

markTHEblake
27th December 2005, 07:51 AM
I heard that Head of Sports at SBS Les Murray said no to a partnership with Ch 9 for broadcasting AFL games after 9 approached them..

yep, that was on the news. that means SBS said no to paying for it.