PDA

View Full Version : While I'm asking ?'s, let's talk sleeping and waking pc's

goughy
23rd June 2013, 08:04 AM
Since most here know more than me and clikchic....

She's having an issue with her main pc when trying to access drives etc on it from her laptop. We think it may be an issue with waking up, or waking on lan activity or something. I think she may have installed some app on her phone? or something that seems to wake it up and then it works better. But shouldn't we be able to do this easily?

I've also had the same sort of issue with out htpc, which means atm it just doesn't sleep. I haven't been able to get it to wake up via the remote (yesterday my bil said I need to set it to keep the usb powered when in sleep/suspend). I also haven't been able to get it to wake when remotely trying to access content on it from another pc or from my tablet or phone. and I also need to access it remotely via dyndns to set recording while away. I know to do all this I'll need to set stuff in bios, windows and mediaportal - but am I missing something on the router? Should it be sending a wake up message to the pc?

markTHEblake
23rd June 2013, 08:10 AM
To wake up a sleeping PC you need to send it a Wake on Lan (WOL) packet. Whilst most network adapters support WOL that is the easy part. You got to have a device on your network to send the WOL packets and I never figured that one out.

bergsey
23rd June 2013, 11:39 AM
For the htpc (and the other) download the 'mce standby tool'. It is a great little utility that allows you to setup all the sleep settings and shows you what apps, hardware etc may be preventing your pc from sleeping or waking up. I needed to use this to get my htpc waking/sleeping properly...