PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Who would attend NSW Champs?

matty
21st June 2013, 12:29 PM
Need a show of hands please on who would attend. Need 20 to make it worthwhile.

I have made a shipload of calls the last couple of days to accomodation and courses throughout the Central Coast and same in the Southern Highlands. That includes package deals, without packages, green fees, deals, the works. Without going in to details the clear winner on cost, availablity, and logistics is the southern higlands.

At least the Canberra boys will attend. Hopefully the Newy contingent will come down for a weekend away.

Accomodation cost is good. Golf very good. Most importantly if I get back within a week we get the group slot on the timesheets at both courses in the AM. Would be part of the club comp too.

The weekend I have confirmed is Oct 12/13.

Golf-:
Sat: Mt.Broughton, approx 10.30am hit off
Sun: Moss Vale, approx 8am hit off (those travelling home on Sunday will get away at a reasonable time)
Presentation: Moss Vale GC
Prizes-: NTP on 2 holes each day. 1 Long Drive each day, 1 Drive and pitch each day. Trophy for gross/net winners/r-ups. Putting comp Sat morning. All to be verified. Signature banners for winners/runner-ups.

Accommodation-: Dormi House on Moss Vale GC. Includes brekky.

Cost: Twins $230-240/night depending on view (Roughly $120 per person a night!)
Triples $259-$269/night depending on view (Roughly $90 per person a night!)

Pls, no suggestions on Peppers accommodation, other courses, central coast options etc. They've all been looked at. Most have issues that I don't want to deal with/organise. This is the best deal/option to get the NSW champs up and running in 2013. We can look at making it bigger and better next year whether this goes ahead or not.

Friday golf can be looked at later if the numbers suggest this is going ahead. Who's in?

1) Matty - October

Dotty
21st June 2013, 12:32 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October

Thanks for organising.
Normally club champs is around then, but stuff it, I haven't got past the 2nd round in the last 30 years, so I may as well take this guaranteed Sunday game.

ps. I can't make Sept. 14/15, due to a BB/LF odyssey in Tassie.

PeteyD
21st June 2013, 12:33 PM
Bugga not this year for me.

Monsta
21st June 2013, 12:37 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October
3)Monsta - Either for me is fine

virge666
21st June 2013, 12:52 PM
Yep. Would be there

Captain Nemo
21st June 2013, 01:22 PM
Either for me.

golfbound
21st June 2013, 01:32 PM
If it were the following weekend in october i would probably be there.

GuyIncognito
21st June 2013, 01:34 PM
In for September only, Oct is club champs etc

sms316
21st June 2013, 03:07 PM
No. Too many stars need to align for it to happen.

Dotty
21st June 2013, 03:36 PM
At least make it easy for Matty to get the EOIs ...

1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
3) Monsta - Either for me is fine
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
6) GuyIncognito - Sept. only

KristianJ
21st June 2013, 03:45 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either

mrbluu
21st June 2013, 04:03 PM
8.) Mrbluu September

WBennett
21st June 2013, 04:10 PM
Unlikely for both for me this year due to a coinciding family holiday to Fiji in October and a heap of other weekends away between now and then related to my Oxfam Trailwalk and training program.

I should be able to do a day trip for one of the days and would be happy to have a round at either course either day.

live4golf
21st June 2013, 05:00 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G - October

davepuppies
21st June 2013, 05:11 PM
Davepuppies either

matty
21st June 2013, 05:13 PM
UPDATE - if this happens it will be the October weekend.

Received a call from the courses. Both core their greens in the week or two before the September weekend.
Good news is by October the greens will be beautiful, it's the first weekend of daylight savings, and it gives a month longer for everyone to organise their stuff.

GuyIncognito
21st June 2013, 05:23 PM
[ ] GuyIncognito

WBennett
21st June 2013, 05:26 PM
Both tracks should be spot on by then. I like Moss Vale. Shortish, with a few really fun holes.

rqrox
21st June 2013, 05:36 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G - October
10) Rqrox - in there like swim wear!!

davepuppies
21st June 2013, 05:45 PM
Just realised I will be in Europe for Octoberfest etc.........

Bugger!

markTHEblake
21st June 2013, 05:54 PM
No idea where central coast or southern highlands is, except I guess central or southern of something. Perhaps should put a map in the first post so us out of Towners know what you are talkin about. I think the accommodation is far too expensive too. Don't need anything flash for a golf trip ;-). I always see those golf trips advertised along the Murrray that cost 2/5s of buggar all and they look particularly appealing.

Courty
21st June 2013, 05:58 PM
Not this year, too many trips already organised.

Dotty
21st June 2013, 06:38 PM
The NSW Champs won't be the same without Blakey. ;)

sms316
21st June 2013, 06:46 PM
No idea where central coast or southern highlands is, except I guess central or southern of something. Perhaps should put a map in the first post so us out of Towners know what you are talkin about. I think the accommodation is far too expensive too. Don't need anything flash for a golf trip ;-). I always see those golf trips advertised along the Murrray that cost 2/5s of buggar all and they look particularly appealing.The Murray is dirt cheap to play. Not so dirt cheap to get to though.

WBennett
21st June 2013, 07:02 PM
In december I am doing the murray masters. Thurgoona howlong corowa two nights accom three days of meals and a ton of prizes for $300. Bargain.

Dotty
21st June 2013, 07:12 PM
But the Murray isn't 2 hours drive from the northern edge of Sydney.

Feel free to take the initiative and organise the 2014 NSW Champs there, after the 2013 edition has be run and won.

Haystacks
21st June 2013, 08:07 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G - October
10.5) Haystacks - pencil...depending on the work situation

Peppas
21st June 2013, 08:16 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G - October
11) Peppas - Either should be ok. Current dates in Oct are OK for me.

Leon Phelps
21st June 2013, 08:26 PM
1) Matty - October
2) Dotty - October only
4) Virge666 - Either
5) Titleist - Either
7) KristianJ - Either
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G - October
11) Peppas - Either should be ok. Current dates in Oct are OK for me.
12) Leon Phelps - should be right for any either

wazandnic
21st June 2013, 08:56 PM
Nice work Matty. Yes there are lots of options but good work in locking the speculation down and doing the hard work. A good easy trip down there.

As mentioned in the other thread I did almost this exact weekend last week. Actually took out the comp on the Sunday at Mossvale, so I'm a fan! ;)

One question is the accomodation at Dormie a two night requirement? Previous enquiries from us had 2 night minimum stay, so accom always became a little dearer there??

Anyway...

1) Matty
2) Dotty
3) Monsta
4) Virge666
5) Titleist
7) KristianJ
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G
10) Rqrox
11) Peppas - should be ok
12) Leon Phelps - should be right
13) Waz - heavy pencil - should be just need to check a couple of things at work

Anfield
21st June 2013, 09:02 PM
Mark me down with a 5B pencil!!

WBennett
21st June 2013, 10:41 PM
But the Murray isn't 2 hours drive from the northern edge of Sydney.

Feel free to take the initiative and organise the 2014 NSW Champs there, after the 2013 edition has be run and won.

Dotty

I appreciate the initiative being shown. The boys will have a great time. Fyi the pub as Moss Vale near the rail crossing has topless barmaids on Friday afternoons....

Dotty
22nd June 2013, 05:49 AM
Dotty

I appreciate the initiative being shown. The boys will have a great time. Fyi the pub as Moss Vale near the rail crossing has topless barmaids on Friday afternoons....
All cool. I didn't want to see this thread lost to 'Murray is cheaper', 'Too close to WA Champs', 'Ocean Shores would get more Qld'ers', etc. distractions.

WBennett
22nd June 2013, 06:29 AM
I reckon its a great idea, and as you know I am a huge fan on supporting and hosting Ozgolf Days.

Dormi House is great - you are right at the Golf Club, the RSL is 2 minutes down the road, and you only need to stagger 6 metres to the first tee from your room!

matty
22nd June 2013, 06:54 AM
All cool. I didn't want to see this thread lost to 'Murray is cheaper', 'Too close to WA Champs', 'Ocean Shores would get more Qld'ers', etc. distractions.

It won't be. I don't think most could be bothered replying. I like the idea of a Murray trip after hearing the reports from my uncle's trip a couple of months ago, but not this year. If we have the champs we can gauge interest for that possibly next year.

If we nudge 20 participants by the time the weekend is over its a goer. If we stay on 13 or 14 I'll look at confirming 20, then it's first in best dressed. It'd be good to get the first ever NSW Champs going, as long as an interstater doesn't visit and win :)

Captain Nemo
22nd June 2013, 07:52 AM
Waz and I went down the Murray (yarrawonga) early May for the Aussie TCC w/end.
Great venue and courses, but a long way to go for the w/end....

matty
22nd June 2013, 08:13 AM
Nice work Matty. Yes there are lots of options but good work in locking the speculation down and doing the hard work. A good easy trip down there.

As mentioned in the other thread I did almost this exact weekend last week. Actually took out the comp on the Sunday at Mossvale, so I'm a fan! ;)

One question is the accomodation at Dormie a two night requirement? Previous enquiries from us had 2 night minimum stay, so accom always became a little dearer there??

Thanks Waz. I don't remember the two night minimum at Dormi being mentioned. Ill verify it next week but it was the case at Peppers. Could've been mentioned. I rang that many places. Dormi is situated good in relation to the course, the rsl, and other stuff wbennett mentioned (topless bar :mrgreen:) The lady mentioned all those but not wbennett's local, strangely enough.

You do realise you just positioned yourself as the favourite to take it out! ;)

KristianJ
22nd June 2013, 08:19 AM
http://www.dormiehouse.com.au/page/rates__packages.html

Looks like one night...

wazandnic
22nd June 2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Waz. I don't remember the two night minimum at Dormi being mentioned. Ill verify it next week but it was the case at Peppers. Could've been mentioned. I rang that many places. Dormi is situated good in relation to the course, the rsl, and other stuff wbennett mentioned (topless bar :mrgreen:) The lady mentioned all those but not wbennett's local, strangely enough.

Things may have changed or may be different if booking a big group perhaps. It is a big call to always have a min 2 night stay, but yeah worth checking.

And we actually stayed at that pub one year... very very cheap accomodation where you definitely get what you pay for, old shoes next to the bed, no windows, right next to the railway, etc!! Didn't know about the ladies on Friday's but I will say after checking into our rooms and heading down stairs for a brew we got many sly looks from the locals and ended up going to another pub for dinner and more brews! ;)

You do realise you just positioned yourself as the favourite to take it out! ;)

Ha ha... I won't tell you about my round on the Saturday at Mt B. Lets just say hitting it straight off the tee is not one of my strong points!!! ;)

WBennett
22nd June 2013, 07:37 PM
There is a cabin park 200m from the rsl. Much cheaper but the owners are cranky if noisy...

wazandnic
22nd June 2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.dormiehouse.com.au/page/rates__packages.html

Looks like one night...

Cool. Hey Matty the other thing to maybe check is the bed configuration... we were also told once that the majority of double rooms are actually just 1x queen bed. Again may have changed in recent times (and worth their while to) but yeah just worth asking the q

There is a cabin park 200m from the rsl. Much cheaper but the owners are cranky if noisy...

Speaking of owners getting cranky, we almost had a major disaster last week. Booked at the Bong Bong Motel just at the top of the hill in the main street of Mossvale. Booked well in advance. Had recieved a follow up call week before. Confirmed numbers on the Thursday before. Turned up late Sat after our game at Mt B and nope no booking and no vacancies!! We definitly had the right place as we relayed a story the guy had told us when booking and hea greed that was his story. Anyway after a little while of questioning and being polite about it all the guy that booked it got a little fed up and made the comment "well you've done yourself out of some regular bookings" to which the hotel guy replied "Doesn't worry me mate I'm booked out most weekends anyway and told us to piss off" Prick!

After ringing around several places with not much luck we contacted Briars, they only had one room available... but had another 3 bedroom apartment that was not being used only due to the cushions on the lounges being dry cleaned. They were happy to let us use it due to the circumstances and even took a nice discount off it. Now that is service and we didn't even contemplate using the lounges as the pub was warm and beer cold. Was a great spot to stay and the included hot breakfast in the morning made it even better!

kiwitown
24th June 2013, 11:26 AM

Anyway...

1) Matty
2) Dotty
3) Monsta
4) Virge666
5) Titleist
7) KristianJ
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G
10) Rqrox
13) Waz - heavy pencil - should be just need to check a couple of things at work
14) Kiwitown. go like shit in the club champs anyway. (don't know about spending the night as i have 40th to go to but can make both days).

Monsta
24th June 2013, 01:30 PM
If we nudge 20 participants by the time the weekend is over its a goer. If we stay on 13 or 14 I'll look at confirming 20, then it's first in best dressed. It'd be good to get the first ever NSW Champs going, as long as an interstater doesn't visit and win :)

Does ACT count as an interstater????? Hang on what am I saying, Ive got no chance of winning, so ignore my question Matty.

But great work on the organisation....

wazandnic
24th June 2013, 02:02 PM
It was stated:

Need a show of hands please on who would attend. Need 20 to make it worthwhile.
...the clear winner on cost, availablity, and logistics is the southern higlands.

At least the Canberra boys will attend.

So yeah you should feel free to attend! ;)

liptout
24th June 2013, 02:15 PM
1) Matty
2) Dotty
3) Monsta
4) Virge666
5) Titleist
7) KristianJ
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G
10) Rqrox
14) kiwitown
15) Anfieldred - pencil
16) Liptout

awesome work Matty.
haven't had a golf weekend away in a couple of years, so im there for sure!! :)

matty
24th June 2013, 02:21 PM
Got royally stuffed around by Dormi House today. They totally stuffed things by accepting a group booking in the interim. Their prerogative though. No fear, looks like I've got better and cheaper accom sorted with a change of venue for Sunday golf. Details to be finalised shortly. Mt Broughton still on the list.

matty
24th June 2013, 02:23 PM
1) Matty
2) Dotty
3) Monsta
4) Virge666
5) Titleist
7) KristianJ
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G
10) Rqrox
14) kiwitown
15) Anfieldred - pencil
16) Liptout

awesome work Matty.
haven't had a golf weekend away in a couple of years, so im there for sure!! :) Good stuff. Another drinking partner!

Peppas
24th June 2013, 02:26 PM
Matty, I might not need accomodation... can get back to you on that though.

Jono
24th June 2013, 02:27 PM
1) Matty
2) Dotty
3) Monsta
4) Virge666
5) Titleist
7) KristianJ
8.) Mrbluu September
9) L4G
10) Rqrox
14) kiwitown
15) Anfieldred - pencil
16) Liptout
17) Jono

No golf for me until October due to shoulder injury but I'd still come to meet everyone and walk around the course.

matty
24th June 2013, 02:29 PM
Jono, can you PM me your mobile. I recently lost all my contacts.

liptout
24th June 2013, 02:30 PM
Good stuff. Another drinking partner!

and i play some of my best golf drunk/hungover, so its all happy days........... :)

wazandnic
24th June 2013, 02:39 PM
Got royally stuffed around by Dormi House today. They totally stuffed things by accepting a group booking in the interim. Their prerogative though. No fear, looks like I've got better and cheaper accom sorted with a change of venue for Sunday golf. Details to be finalised shortly. Mt Broughton still on the list.

Bummer.

And are you saying that Mossvale has thus been scratched form Sunday? There goes my odds! ;)
For what my opinion is worth I do maintain Mossvale the next best course down there after Mt B though, a shame to not include it??

matty
24th June 2013, 03:02 PM
It'll be included for those wishing to play Friday. Even Moss Vale changed their time sheet from the previous Thursday on me.

wazandnic
24th June 2013, 03:59 PM
Fair enough. That's pretty crap on their part... but as you say I guess they just want to make bookings so first in best dressed!

matty
24th June 2013, 04:04 PM
Okay. It looks like we'll have enough to make it worthwhile. I'll start the proper thread tomorrow when I get on the work computer. For some reason my home computer doesn't like to put paragraphs in on the Ozgolf site. (Using iPad)

These are now locked in and booked!

Quick rundown-:
Fri - For those wishing to have a hit-: Moss Vale GC, 12pm (3 groups reserved)
Sat - Mt.Broughton GC, 11am. $72/head which includes club comp. (have to check re carts tomorrow as they have a large group off earlier).
Sun - Highlands GC. 8.30am. $30.50/head which includes club comp, green fees, and BBQ with presentation on the balcony overlooking 18th green. 9 carts available. $40/cart. I'm reserving one seat!

Accommodation - Mittagong RSL Motel. Was a bit dubious on this at first but apparently it's only a year or two old and is 4.5star. Looks good on the website. I've reserved 10 twin rooms at $180/room a night. That's room only. It's only a sand wedge to the rsl (8 iron for Dotty). The RSL do breakfast packages so I'll enquire about them in due course.

I'll link the reservation form to the thread tomorrow. Up to everyone to get a roomie and reserve their room.

Dormi House caused a reshuffle after booking in rooms and moving us on the time sheets. These are now locked in. From the ringing around I gather October starts to get busy with this sort of stuff. Everything was becoming a bit iffy with bookings, even 4 months out.

The later tee times on Fri and Sat will suit those travelling on either day. The 8.30 hit off on Sunday we all get away at a decent time in the arvo.

At this stage it looks like numbers will be limited to 24 as i was given six groups on the sat and sunday comp sheets. Think we are at about 15 or so now. So get your name down!

KristianJ
24th June 2013, 04:13 PM
Great work, Matt. At this stage I'll try and get that Fri off to play Moss Vale, but if not I'll be in the car heading down the Hume straight after work.

Let me know if you'd like a hand organising anything like prizes and what not...

matty
24th June 2013, 04:23 PM
I will thanks. Will be in touch.

Dotty
24th June 2013, 04:57 PM
... It's only a sand wedge to the rsl (8 iron for Dotty).
I read that as ...
'Dotty will easily get to the RSL. Everyone else will either pull up short, or be in the garden at the back.'

Thanks for the extra effort today, Matty.

wazandnic
24th June 2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah nice work Matty. Tough gig to organise these things, especially when you are looking at 20+.

rqrox
24th June 2013, 06:12 PM
Matty you're a champion! Might as well try and get down there for the Friday round as well!

JADO75
24th June 2013, 06:16 PM
I'm in please, don't mind a wrestle after a bunch of cans either (no homo). Cheers for the leg work Matty

live4golf
24th June 2013, 06:21 PM
I'm in please, don't mind a wrestle after a bunch of cans either (no homo). Cheers for the leg work Matty

WTF? - no amount of (no homo) can make this any better...it is uber-ghey end of story.

matty
24th June 2013, 06:28 PM
Haha. I remember after a work Xmas party about 4 years ago a full contact footy match started in a park about midnight. It got ugly, but was fun. I think Jado is talking about wrestling with one of the local girls after a skinful.

Peppas
25th June 2013, 06:15 AM
Nice work with the organising Matty, appreciate all your efforts.

Now, who is taking first tee footage? :)

matty
25th June 2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for volunteering peppas. I'll make sure you're in the last group on Saturday.

From memory the first hole at Mt.Broughton is a short dog leg with a huge tree on the corner. Best shot is to fade a hybrid or something around it or play to the corner. Should make for some good opening shots!

KristianJ is going to create a sub forum for the NSW Champs. I'll start the proper thread when that goes up. 3.5 months to see who will get the first sky blue champs banner in their signature. (Another job for KJ)

Monsta
25th June 2013, 09:08 AM
Nice work with the organising Matt
Now, who is taking first tee footage? :)

I will have mycamera there boys, only decision is stills or video footage?? Might have to look at the practise swings and decide then :mrgreen:

Peppas
25th June 2013, 09:08 AM
Excellent, I will find a camera before the day.

I hate that first hole. Actually you could say that about most of the holes at Mt Broughton.

Leon Phelps
25th June 2013, 09:25 AM
Excellent, I will find a camera before the day.

I hate that first hole. Actually you could say that about most of the holes at Mt Broughton.

The second is way more hate worthy than the first peppas

matty
25th June 2013, 09:35 AM
The second is way more hate worthy than the first peppas

Took the words out of my mouth. Very intimidating.

I hit it the only time I've played there. Hopefully will bring the good ju ju with me to that hole.

Leon Phelps
25th June 2013, 09:52 AM
Took the words out of my mouth. Very intimidating.

I hit it the only time I've played there. Hopefully will bring the good ju ju with me to that hole.

The last time we played there it was a head wind and I didn't get there with a 3 wood. Excellent visual hole, lovely view from up at the blacks. At the NSW PGA that was played over the summer, I think the hole average was closer to 4 than 3....

davepuppies
25th June 2013, 03:35 PM
Agreed, it's a cracker the second........

KristianJ
26th June 2013, 05:30 PM
Benno, is this the pub you were referencing on the last page?

http://www.centralhotelmossvale.com.au/

I (http://www.centralhotelmossvale.com.au/)f so, looks like a decent dinner option for Friday night. Then Mittagong RSL on Sat night?

matty
26th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Don't know if I could be bothered driving. Can only have a couple.

wazandnic
26th June 2013, 09:04 PM
That is the pub... and I'll just say that apart from the photo of inside being flattering, the first comment "The Central Hotel is Mossvales friendliest hotel" is quite comical!

Not we we found when we stayed there! ;)

LeftyHoges
26th June 2013, 09:17 PM
I'd attend a NSFW champs...

WBennett
26th June 2013, 09:17 PM
Its rough. Been there three times on a friday and the topless barwenches wander around and bring your beers. Full of rough nuts and bikers so 30 blokes in golf pants would attract some attention!

KristianJ
26th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Its rough. Been there three times on a friday and the topless barwenches wander around and bring your beers. Full of rough nuts and bikers so 30 blokes in golf pants would attract some attention!

Only 12 of us in the slacks on the Friday. :mrgreen:

Admittedly I didn't think much about the fact that there may be a desire to have a few too many to drive back...in any case I'm sure that sort of thing will be easily sortable as we get closer to the weekend.