PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Why no NSW Champs?

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 11:13 AM
Just wandering?

live4golf
18th June 2013, 11:25 AM
Just wandering? Where are you wandering to?

PeteyD
18th June 2013, 11:30 AM
Up until last year there was only the champs held in SEQ. Since the WA and Vic have added some champs, both of which were very successful.

It takes someone to organise and run with the idea. Previously OzGolf has had a rather small NSW contingent that did not play a lot of games together. This appears to be changing, with a number of larger days in the first tee. NSW has also been well represented at the OzGolf champs in the past.

KristianJ
18th June 2013, 11:36 AM
Our monthly days seem to be going well, and I reckon they'll only get bigger so that we can have a few NSW "Majors" (events where you can get some sort of fancy bar in your signature saying you won - we generally need 16 players in attendance for an event to be given "major" status). There's one in 2 Sunday's time and one spot left if you're keen to come and join us.

Also I think if there was a NSW Champs in the future it'd need to be outside of Sydney because it'd be near impossible to get on enough quality Sydney tracks on weekends.

Peppas
18th June 2013, 11:40 AM
I nominate KJ to run the first NSW champs ;)

AndyP
18th June 2013, 11:44 AM
We had the NSW Champs; they were at Coolangatta Tweed in 2004/5. ;)

I thought open days at courses were always a bit of an issue for organising NSW days.

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 12:05 PM
ah F*** Dapto Mall

Captain Nemo
18th June 2013, 12:07 PM
We had the NSW Champs; they were at Coolangatta Tweed in 2004/5. ;)

I thought open days at courses were always a bit of an issue for organising NSW days.

That would be the biggest issue.....
We'd have to look ate resort style venues outside of Sydney, which would be great.

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 12:12 PM
I've been watching the 1st tee post and the 30th of June i can't make, but i'm keen to play the July event. I agree getting a course for 30 odd players on a sunday can be tricky..

Captain Nemo
18th June 2013, 12:16 PM
I've been watching the 1st tee post and the 30th of June i can't make, but i'm keen to play the July event. I agree getting a course for 30 odd players on a sunday can be tricky..
Exactly right.
My club prob would have let me have 1 more group...

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 02:14 PM
Exactly right.
My club prob would have let me have 1 more group...

My club would with enough notice, but Antill Park is not the most difficult track.

Peppas
18th June 2013, 02:24 PM
ah F*** Dapto Mall

The easy place to shop and save?

Monsta
18th June 2013, 02:30 PM
ah F*** Dapto Mall

The easy place to shop and save?

Five finger discount is the only way to shop at Dapto isnt it?????
Most stolen items include:
Winnie Blue's
Flanelette shirts
Ugg boots
19" rims (or just the whole car)

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 03:21 PM
Five finger discount is the only way to shop at Dapto isnt it?????
Most stolen items include:
Winnie Blue's
Flanelette shirts
Ugg boots
19" rims (or just the whole car)

Winnie blues, thats a bit up market they smoke Holiday ciggies in the hood...
Flanno's are so yesterday, we got track suits down here..
Ugg boots replaced by thongs..
Push bikes are the prefered mode of transport thank you..

Dotty
18th June 2013, 04:58 PM
I nominate BPE to organise the NSW Champs at Lynwood.

KristianJ
18th June 2013, 05:03 PM
I nominate BPE to organise the NSW Champs at Lynwood. Sleeping bags in the old homestead??As for Pep's nomination, I will gladly decline...

Peppas
18th June 2013, 05:06 PM
Sleeping bags in the old homestead??As for Pep's nomination, I will gladly decline...

WHY!?

KristianJ
18th June 2013, 05:08 PM
Unless by "run" you mean "delegate the arrangement of accommodation and courses to other poor souls".

LeftyHoges
18th June 2013, 05:11 PM
Take it from me, you don't want to be the poor soul organising a champs by yourself! :lol:

I'm kidding of course, but if you are going to do it get a bunch of guys to do it and delegate duties. It's really not that hard with enough prep time, and even easier with a bunch of blokes to bounce ideas off.

Of course, any more champs and we will be probably stealing "attendees" off each other.

Peppas
18th June 2013, 05:17 PM
Unless by "run" you mean "delegate the arrangement of accommodation and courses to other poor souls".

I have faith in you KJ, like they said in waynes world 2, if you book it they will come.

goughy
18th June 2013, 05:21 PM
When was it that that trip to Ocean Shores??? occured? I'm sure there was a trip organised a few years ago that had a few go down that way. Granted, I don't know if it got into the deep south of NSW, or even to the middle. But a few went to that.

goughy
18th June 2013, 05:26 PM
I have faith in you KJ, like they said in waynes world 2, if you book it they will come.

I think this is very much the case. The champs in Qld have always been organised by Qld'ers, and really when you have a few organising something like this they do it where they are familiar and near. The WA champs, did someone just decide to get one going? Was that the same with the Vic one? I'd say if you want one in NSW it would work fine. Just get a little committee together and start sorting it out.

Wasn't there a Tassie trip a few years ago too?

JADO75
18th June 2013, 05:33 PM
Play Magenta & Kooindah?

goughy
18th June 2013, 05:40 PM
Those names sound familiar! Maybe they played those too.

GuyIncognito
18th June 2013, 05:43 PM
Play Magenta & Kooindah?

this.

JADO75
18th June 2013, 05:47 PM
Two great courses, accommodation, could play Shelly beach or Toukley before or after too

goughy
18th June 2013, 05:51 PM
Here's some links to some threads regarding what I think was it.
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/7241-Magenta-Shores-Sat-Sept-1?highlight=magenta
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/7746-Mac-Grange-2nd-September-7-40am?highlight=magenta (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/7241-Magenta-Shores-Sat-Sept-1?highlight=magenta)

GuyIncognito
18th June 2013, 05:51 PM
it has my vote.

Peppas
18th June 2013, 06:08 PM
Central coast would be good. Guess it can't be too far from the main airport but easy enough to get on and around?

AndyP
18th June 2013, 06:10 PM
Goughy, you are probably thinking of the trip I had down to Newcastle/Sydney many moons ago.

We played Newcastle on the Friday, stayed at Magenta, then played there on Saturday. There were 4 groups each day, which was big back then. A few went down for a Sydney game with Grunt on Sunday, while Iain and I went to the footy, then played Bonnie Doon on Monday with Amanda and Jono.

It was one of the great OZgolf weekends.

live4golf
18th June 2013, 06:12 PM
If on central coast, newcastle is an option.

How many days and courses?

davepuppies
18th June 2013, 06:37 PM
Would be great if we could get a NSW champs going.

We have a heap more active members than the other site, and they manage to get a group together every couple of months.
surely we can do better?

live4golf
18th June 2013, 06:43 PM
Would be great if we could get a NSW champs going.

We have a heap more active members than the other site, and they manage to get a group together every couple of months.
surely we can do better?

It's not a competition :)

davepuppies
18th June 2013, 06:52 PM
It's not a competition :)

Not with that attitude!

davepuppies
18th June 2013, 06:53 PM
I have participated in a couple of I seek days and they are a lot of fun, but I reckon we have enough new members here to make a proper go of it.

rqrox
18th June 2013, 07:25 PM
We should "do" the central coast, some nice courses and we can save some cash and camp in the back yard at PJ's!

Peppas
18th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Looks like L4G for organiser! ;)

WBennett
18th June 2013, 08:34 PM
We had 10 or 11 in Canberra last year, with Dotty and Grunt down from Sydney and Mudguts from Brizvegas.

Mudrat and KJ have recips at Gungahlin Lakes so I would be more than happy to organise again. I think we had the last 3 groups in the Saturday comp as I asked weeks in advance and they extended by 2 groups to accommodate us.

We also had 12 at Mt Broughton a while ago, and I did notice another Mt Broughton $50 for 2 deal advertised on Golflink yesterday - here http://golflinkdeals.com.au/deal/sydney/mt-broughton-18-holes-for-2-includes-range-balls-beer?affiliate_code=golflink&utm_campaign=golflink&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=golflink

So, do we announce Mt Broughton again, set a date 2 months in advance, get 20 acceptances and end up with the standard 8 to 10?

Dotty
18th June 2013, 10:49 PM
So, do we announce Mt Broughton again, set a date 2 months in advance, get 20 acceptances and end up with the standard 8 to 10?
That answer is so 2010. ;)
(Answers the thread title perfectly, and the death of the NSW Matchplay comp.)

Benno, there's a new breed of OzGolfers up here, with regular monthly games of 10-12 participants.

Also helped by clubs no longer hesitating to say 'yes' at taking 3-4 times slots on a Sunday.

wazandnic
19th June 2013, 12:31 AM
I just did MtBrougton Saturday and Mossvale Sunday, with about 12 mates last weekend. Hit off 11pm at MtB and 8am at Mossvale. No issues with tee times, played in the comps and very affordable... a worthy option!

Newcastle / Megenta / Central coast option also very doable in my opinion.

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 01:08 AM
My friends just did Kooinda Waters and the Springs, not sure it was comp, but the boys get away once year and we generally get around 30-40ppl. I missed out this year cos it was too close to when the bub was due.

live4golf
19th June 2013, 07:06 AM
My friends just did Kooinda Waters and the Springs, not sure it was comp, but the boys get away once year and we generally get around 30-40ppl. I missed out this year cos it was too close to when the bub was due.

What did they think of the 2 courses mate...is the springs in good nick?

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 08:19 AM
What did they think of the 2 courses mate...is the springs in good nick?

Have really had a chance to catch up to them. We've have played at Kooinda in the past and I really like that course....much fairer test of golf than Magenta. I'm not a fan of Magenta at all. I would have liked to play the Springs as I've heard good things about it.

live4golf
19th June 2013, 08:43 AM
Have really had a chance to catch up to them. We've have played at Kooinda in the past and I really like that course....much fairer test of golf than Magenta. I'm not a fan of Magenta at all. I would have liked to play the Springs as I've heard good things about it.

You get a chance today. ?.can you see what the springs was like please?

matty
19th June 2013, 08:48 AM
I really liked the Springs. Played in my first ever Ozgolf day there with MT and a couple of others. Like Kooindah too.

Magenta is dissapoint.

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 08:57 AM
You get a chance today. ?.can you see what the springs was like please?

Yes sir, I will get onto it right away for you!!!

live4golf
19th June 2013, 08:59 AM
Yes sir, I will get onto it right away for you!!!

Stupid mobile devices....only if you get a chance. I forgot all about the springs and they have opened membership there. Just want to know if the course is a better standard now.

live4golf
19th June 2013, 09:00 AM
I really liked the Springs. Played in my first ever Ozgolf day there with MT and a couple of others. Like Kooindah too.

Magenta is dissapoint.

Magenta is a good sometimes course.

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 09:07 AM
Stupid mobile devices....only if you get a chance. I forgot all about the springs and they have opened membership there. Just want to know if the course is a better standard now. I knew what you meant...

Sydney Hacker
19th June 2013, 09:31 AM
I had a hit at the springs a month or so ago, it was absolutely bucketing down. From what I saw the condition was pretty good, greens were in good nick despite the rain, some minor areas in less then ideal condition but by no means was there a lot of them.

matty
19th June 2013, 09:40 AM
Magenta is a good sometimes course.

I can imagine it is sensational. Just bloody punishing. Golf has to be enjoyable too.

Next time I'll leave driver, maybe just take a short hybrid. Actually, I would probably score better with 6-PW! It's a course you have to know inside out.

Dotty
19th June 2013, 09:43 AM
I'll be playing the Springs in early July. I've heard they have improved things in the last year (clubhouse, hole numbering, etc.)

From what I remember, the greens and fairways are usually fast. Couple of places the ball can run too much and find unexpected trouble. Rough was just cleared/uncleared scrub.

Elevation changes, gives it a half star advantage over Lynwood.

sms316
19th June 2013, 01:23 PM
***cough***

September 21/22 ;).

kiwitown
19th June 2013, 02:28 PM
So, do we announce Mt Broughton again, set a date 2 months in advance, get 20 acceptances and end up with the standard 8 to 10?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan i would be happy with that. dormie house is a nice place to stay.

GuyIncognito
19th June 2013, 03:26 PM
I'd be very happy to see Springs/Kooindah/Magenta/Newcastle as a four day event, having never played either of the four...

What is it ppl don't like about Magenta?

matty
19th June 2013, 03:35 PM
Played there?

edit- just reread your post. It's more than tough. Might've just been because it was the first time.

Dotty
19th June 2013, 03:37 PM
***cough***

September 21/22 ;).Is there a wedding reception booked that weekend?

Dangals
19th June 2013, 03:50 PM
I'd be very happy to see Springs/Kooindah/Magenta/Newcastle as a four day event, having never played either of the four...

+1 I'd be down for this as I have played all of those except Kooindah and they are certainly varied enough to make it a great weekend.

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 10:22 PM

It's track that is essentially hard for no reason at all. When I played there when you miss the fairway it's a lost ball and you go back to the tee. There is no bailout areas or any sort of risk reward holes. I heard they have thinned out the bush a little but it's still quite punishing. We had around 36 players play 2 rounds there and no one shot their handicap.

IMO Koonidah is a much better course and a fair test of golf.

goughy
20th June 2013, 07:11 AM
If you want to do a nsw champs, then just do it. That's the only way it will happen. Get 3 or 4 members to become a committee and nut it out. You won't be able to please everyone, you won't be able to find a weekend that works for everyone. But just do it.