PDA

View Full Version : The best 3 wood?

goughy
17th June 2013, 06:27 AM
For you! Disclaimer - I'm not looking for one. I've found mine and I love it.

But it seems the 3 wood is a mystery of a club. It's spose to be your safety go to club on those tight/short par 4's, or for when the driver is not performing. It seems to be the club that once found, you hang on to for a while. Don't the pro's keep the favourite in the bag for a long time?

So what is it for you? Or are you one of those who's search for that elusive perfect 3 wood is an ongoing tragedy? Or what do you think was the best 3 wood of all time?

Mine - TM200 tour 15* w shaqx

Jaster had many. The one he hit best was a Ping TiSi Tec, don't know the shaft. But it was a monster of a club and as consistent as all buggery. The ho in him got it though!

Dcanto
17th June 2013, 06:52 AM
For me it's my Callaway Steelhead III with the original RCH shaft.

BUSHY
17th June 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Nike Sasquatch. The original shaft was a little whippy but i found a shaft to put in it which has made it the most dependable club in my bag.

Dotty
17th June 2013, 07:21 AM
TM VSteel with MAS2 shaft (not the ultralite)

Unfortunately, 3 woods were made redundant, with some modern 4 and 5 woods getting the same distance/height/forgiveness.

chappy1970
17th June 2013, 07:49 AM
When I could actually play, I would have put my Sonartec 3wd up against any other 3 wd out there.

Even with the stock Penley stiff shaft, it was brutal.

The Mizuno mp650 with HD6 I am gaming at the moment goes close.

Jarro
17th June 2013, 07:59 AM
Titty 910F for me.

At this stage .............

JADO75
17th June 2013, 08:05 AM
Burner 07 TP was a beauty, sat well & was easy to hit. Got a Stage 2 Tour 14.5 at the moment & even though its early days with it (honeymoon phase) it's the best 3 wood I've ever hit

meh
17th June 2013, 08:10 AM
I have the stage 2 standard version. Very easy to hit off the deck.

mrbluu
17th June 2013, 08:35 AM
Best all round 3 wood for me is the vsteel. The longest is the xtd but I find it a little inconsistent and a little difficult to hit off the deck..a new shaft might fix that. I also have a soft spot for the callaway steelhead and steelhead plus, both super 3 woods for their time.

I have high hopes for the rbz doesn't our stage 2 which is on the wish list.

KristianJ
17th June 2013, 09:15 AM
Ongoing tragedy here...

I reckon though that my first proper 3 wood (Srixon Z Steel) was the best in terms of ease to hit. Had a decent stock shaft that seemed to go okay, and was easy to hit off the tee and deck.

A dozen 3 woods later, I'm hoping that the Burner 07 TP will live up to the hype.

dc68
17th June 2013, 09:31 AM
RBz tour stage one is the best I've had so far.

Vice MC
17th June 2013, 09:33 AM
Callaway Diablo...love it

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 09:56 AM
Calmly Razr Hawk with a stiff & heavy Blueboard.

Outcast
17th June 2013, 09:58 AM
Love my 909F3 with Tour AD proto; a bomb off the tee & generally very straight, not bad off the deck either

909F3 in 5 wood with same shaft is a fantastic club too, a real go to club for me especially long shots out of the rough. Possibly my favourite club in the bag!

GuyIncognito
17th June 2013, 10:01 AM
TaylorMade Firesole...

virge666
17th June 2013, 10:58 AM
R11s with stock shaft - well slightly adjusted.

I took and inch off the butt and a 1/2 inch off the tip.

It is now a beast !

Lucasto23
17th June 2013, 11:05 AM
For me it was a cobra s9-1 pro with axivcore tour red 79g tipped 2 inches until I caved the face. Never found anything like it yet :(

JADO75
17th June 2013, 11:18 AM
For me it was a cobra s9-1 pro with axivcore tour red 79g tipped 2 inches until I caved the face. Never found anything like it yet :(

Can't get another one?

TheTrueReview
17th June 2013, 11:29 AM
Nike SQII 4 wood (tour version) - thanks Virge. Searched long & hard for this gem.

sms316
17th June 2013, 11:34 AM
Nike SQII 4 wood (tour version) - thanks Virge. Searched long & hard for this gem.
Is a "tour version 4 wood" a 3 wood?

Jerrymoo
17th June 2013, 12:02 PM
I really liked the TM 2007 Burner TP.

Lately, Titleist 913F.d Low Spin — really solid.

davepuppies
17th June 2013, 12:18 PM
I have never been able to hit. 3wood off the deck, so have never carried one.

I carry a 5 wood though, and enjoy my 910f, but felt the 909f was the best....

Mububban
17th June 2013, 12:43 PM
My Ping K15 (http://www.mygolfspy.com/ping-k15-fairway-wood-review/) is easy to hit off the deck with its low profile, as well as easy off the tee. Stock stiff shaft works for me. Easy to get up the air.

markTHEblake
17th June 2013, 12:43 PM
PGF Status MkV. Never should have traded it but the Ho in me wanted to go persimmon. Nothing has worked as good since.

Dotty
17th June 2013, 12:56 PM
PGF Status MkV. Never should have traded it but the Ho in me wanted to go persimmon. Nothing has worked as good since.
+1.

There is one in an 'honour box set' in the shed at Berridale golf club. If it didn't involve a nine hour round trip, I'd consider snaffling it. ;)

Hatchman
17th June 2013, 01:24 PM
Callaway Warbird 3+ by a long shot. Hit little draws off the tee or deck with ease. Stupidly sold to a mate and have barely tolerated many others since.
Ping G2 wasn't too bad and if the recent Tity 910F doesn't perform it may find it's way back into the bag. I love my 910F 5 wood.

LeftyHoges
17th June 2013, 03:34 PM
Used to be an Orlimar Trimetal 19* with Accuflex Evolution shaft that I'd snapped the tip off trying to pull out of a three wood.

Whacked it into the 19* and this thing was an absolute thing of beauty. Could hit it high, low, straight, draw, fade, slice, hook all on command. Anywhere form 170 -230. Sadly the shaft cracked in the hosel and had to be replaced. Have had moderate success with a Diamana Whiteboard replacement but was nowhere near the same as she used to be.

Now have a Titty 15* (adjusted to 16.5*) with Diamana Whiteboard that is quickly becoming my new pride and joy. Still not quite to the level of the Orlimar but getting close...

IamViva
17th June 2013, 04:26 PM
my old cleveland launcher with stiff stock fujikura (the gold one) was a boomer. i hit this long and with baby draws, was a go to club when my handicap was higher as it was reliable as all hell. i traded it for a stubbie when i was on the turps one day :roll:. many have failed since, i've considered buying another

Jarro
17th June 2013, 04:42 PM
Used to be an Orlimar Trimetal .......

I had one of those years ago, fantastic club ..... but a little intimidating with such a shallow face :shock:

razaar
17th June 2013, 05:53 PM
Cally Hot X, the 1st model, with the large head and shallow face and 44" shaft. The older and weaker I get, the more I appreciate this club.

matty
17th June 2013, 06:22 PM
I just realised I have never had a 3 wood in the bag. Couldn't hit one when I started so never tried again. The hybrids seem to go far enough. Thinking of getting a 17* hybrid for my '3 wood'.

rqrox
17th June 2013, 07:16 PM
KZG cobalt with an NVS shaft before I snapped it! or it might just be the egg spoon I just grabbed...I guess I'll see!

highballin
17th June 2013, 08:21 PM
Callaway Razr Fit with x stiff shaft. One of those clubs just feels right whenever you pick it up. It is arrow straight more often than not ��

solarbear
17th June 2013, 08:49 PM
For me it's my Callaway Steelhead III with the original RCH shaft.

Love the Steelhead III. Have a 4+ with a steel shaft. Sounds amazing. I think it is 16° so really just a short 3 wood.

Puji
17th June 2013, 08:58 PM
RBZ tour spoon w/ VTS silver 6X.

Anyone who has seen me hit this thing will agree its a beast. It's a driver killer. Haven't hit driver this month. No need.

CanuckDownUnder
17th June 2013, 09:26 PM
Nike Dymo which I'm currently using now. May need a stiffer tipped shaft, but long nonetheless. Close 2nd was the Covert Tour with New Blue Grafalloy. May get that back into the bag.

Hatchman
17th June 2013, 10:37 PM
Used to be an Orlimar Trimetal 19* with Accuflex Evolution shaft that I'd snapped the tip off trying to pull out of a three wood.

Whacked it into the 19* and this thing was an absolute thing of beauty. Could hit it high, low, straight, draw, fade, slice, hook all on command. Anywhere form 170 -230. Sadly the shaft cracked in the hosel and had to be replaced. Have had moderate success with a Diamana Whiteboard replacement but was nowhere near the same as she used to be.

Now have a Titty 15* (adjusted to 16.5*) with Diamana Whiteboard that is quickly becoming my new pride and joy. Still not quite to the level of the Orlimar but getting close...

Grey model or the second release black one?
I had the black one and it was good from memory but didn't use it for long enough to really know. Loaned it to a golf mate about 2 months before I walked away from the game. Didn't bother to get it back and lost contact after not playing. 6 years later I wish I'd made the effort.

golf2013
17th June 2013, 10:59 PM
Callaway steelhead great off the tee and off the deck.

LeftyHoges
18th June 2013, 05:17 PM
Grey model or the second release black one?
I had the black one and it was good from memory but didn't use it for long enough to really know. Loaned it to a golf mate about 2 months before I walked away from the game. Didn't bother to get it back and lost contact after not playing. 6 years later I wish I'd made the effort.

Original run, grey release.

mike
18th June 2013, 09:44 PM
V Steel. Had it for 8 years now.

990B Luva
19th June 2013, 05:00 AM
I'm in the same boat as goughy, Tm 200Tour 15° with a Pro Lite 35X. When I get a hold of it, it's a monster. Even miss hits are good.

Anfield
19th June 2013, 08:23 AM
R11 15deg with grafalloy epic stiff, stupid easy off the deck, and seriously long off the tee

mrbluu
19th June 2013, 08:40 AM
seriously long off the tee That's cos you're a beast!!!

Tongueboy
19th June 2013, 09:31 AM
When I could actually play, I would have put my Sonartec 3wd up against any other 3 wd out there.

Even with the stock Penley stiff shaft, it was brutal.

The Mizuno mp650 with HD6 I am gaming at the moment goes close.

+ 1 for the Sonatec......love em! have got the SS-02 in 14* and 15* and also the 5 at 19*!

also got an SS-03 and two Sonartec drivers and a couple of their hybrids.

chappy1970
19th June 2013, 09:55 AM
TB mine is the SS-03.

Like a few posts here, this club excels with the right shaft in it, but can be a complete dog with the wrong one.

Anfield
19th June 2013, 03:35 PM
That's cos you're a beast!!! I'm sure you mean a girly man beast Binh?Either way, the club works for me and for us mere mortals, I think its long!

freddy a
20th June 2013, 09:48 AM
+1 for the Sonartec I had the SS04 with a Graphite Design Purple Ice awesome combo!

Swingersparty
20th June 2013, 07:50 PM
"Jaster had many. The one he hit best was a Ping TiSi Tec, don't know the shaft. But it was a monster of a club and as consistent as all buggery. The ho in him got it though!"

Definitely one of the best going around and rare as hens teeth now. I had one with a 757 speeder that was hard to miss hit.

R9 set up properly is a good one too.

Shortylook
20th June 2013, 09:52 PM
R11s f/w is one of my more consistent clubs in the bag, has been for a couple of weeks. I have lots of confidence with this club,either off the tee or the deck

Ferrins
22nd June 2013, 07:04 AM
Cally Hot X, the 1st model, with the large head and shallow face and 44" shaft. The older and weaker I get, the more I appreciate this club. Hope someone at QAGA is enjoying mine.

Dotty
22nd June 2013, 07:21 AM
Hope someone at QAGA is enjoying mine.
Sure did.

Cut the graphite shaft in two, for a tibia and fibula. Melted the titanium head down for a knee joint.

:)

Swingersparty
22nd June 2013, 02:52 PM
Callaway Warbird 3+ by a long shot. Hit little draws off the tee or deck with ease. Stupidly sold to a mate and have barely tolerated many others since.
Ping G2 wasn't too bad and if the recent Tity 910F doesn't perform it may find it's way back into the bag. I love my 910F 5 wood.
The Ping G2 was a great 3 wood with the right shaft, awesome feel out the centre and a great head shape. Long too!

Ty Webb
23rd June 2013, 02:32 PM
I've had a Taylor Made R580 3 wood in the bag for about 7 years. I've tried the 910F, Nike VR-S and Callaway X-Hot, but none of these are as easy to hit and work as the TM. It has an Aldila NV stiff shaft in it and try as I might, I haven't been able to part company with it. I've also got a 7 wood version with exactly the same shaft for a 209m par 3 with postage stamp green at my home club.

mrbluu
23rd June 2013, 02:43 PM
I've had a Taylor Made R580 3 wood in the bag for about 7 years. I've tried the 910F, Nike VR-S and Callaway X-Hot, but none of these are as easy to hit and work as the TM. It has an Aldila NV stiff shaft in it and try as I might, I haven't been able to part company with it. I've also got a 7 wood version with exactly the same shaft for a 209m par 3 with postage stamp green at my home club. I had one of those as well, it was quite easy to hit off the deck. Thought the head was quite good, but for me not as good as a vsteel....it might have been the stock shaft.

mrbluu
13th July 2013, 06:39 PM
Best all round 3 wood for me is the vsteel. The longest is the xtd but I find it a little inconsistent and a little difficult to hit off the deck..a new shaft might fix that. I also have a soft spot for the callaway steelhead and steelhead plus, both super 3 woods for their time.I have high hopes for the rbz doesn't our stage 2 which is on the wish list.Ok so I went out and got the rbz stage 2 tour 3 wood and so fair for me yes been a dog. I either hit hit crappy slices or top it along the ground. I cut half an inch of the butt of the adams xtd and it feels awesome. I hope ir keeps going.

yaksta
13th July 2013, 07:31 PM
I've got a Ping i20 in mint condition if anyone is after one