PDA

View Full Version : Drills for under 1 foot putts

wizard_of_oz
13th June 2013, 04:00 PM
Anyone got drills or tips on under 1 foot putts? I do the circle drill but occasionally will miss the tiny tap in putts which is pretty annoying. What technique to use? Open stance? Short back stroke and long follow through? Aim dead centre and smash it through?

Lucasto23
13th June 2013, 04:02 PM
Take up a new sport.

Best tip is short back swing long follow through. Should it persist see option 1

wizard_of_oz
13th June 2013, 04:08 PM
I think about option 1 each time I miss it, trust me.. ;)

AndyP
13th June 2013, 04:26 PM
I think the long follow through is the way to go too.

Yossarian
13th June 2013, 04:27 PM
When you practise try and have a really slow and deliberate back stroke. It helped me a lot.

razaar
13th June 2013, 04:51 PM
Do you get the yips, wizard? If you haven't got the yips, then it won't be long before they are part of your game if you are missing from inside a foot. There is a saying about short putts - "left shoulder up ball in the cup; right shoulder around ball above ground". Use a light grip and let the left shoulder rock up in a see-saw movement on the forward/through stroke. Practice at home hitting a chair leg from two feet. Try for 100 without a miss.

backintheswing
13th June 2013, 05:01 PM
Just had a putting lesson. For short putts try and lip out all 5 balls when you are practicing. So you are aiming at the lip of the hole and it is quite hard to lip them all out. Then after a few minutes of this go back to trying to hole them.

Also don't concentrate on the hole, concentrate on a spot in the middle of the hole at the back of the hole.

matty
13th June 2013, 05:17 PM
Practice at home hitting a chair leg from two feet. Try for 100 without a miss.

Like that one. Learn to drill it straight.

wizard_of_oz
13th June 2013, 05:21 PM
Do you get the yips, wizard? If you haven't got the yips, then it won't be long before they are part of your game if you are missing from inside a foot. There is a saying about short putts - "left shoulder up ball in the cup; right shoulder around ball above ground". Use a light grip and let the left shoulder rock up in a see-saw movement on the forward/through stroke. Practice at home hitting a chair leg from two feet. Try for 100 without a miss. I'm not sure if it's the yips or not raz..I just push or pull it occasionally for some reason, maybe lack of commitment to it being a straight putt and read it as a tiny break and hit it with too much speed that it lips out..

sms316
13th June 2013, 05:52 PM
#missingteninchputtsisfunny

sms316
13th June 2013, 05:54 PM
I've never seen anyone who anchors miss from a foot or less.

BUSHY
13th June 2013, 06:05 PM
I put a tee in the ground and keep bouncing putts off it from all directions from 1-2ft. I try and concentrate on a little 'pop' stroke similar to what Brandt Snedeker uses rather than a slow deliberate stroke. I found that severe downhill 1 footers are the best to practice because I used to try and tip-tap it down which brings too many things into play. Confident 'pop' and aim specifically.

razaar
13th June 2013, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure if it's the yips or not raz..I just push or pull it occasionally for some reason, maybe lack of commitment to it being a straight putt and read it as a tiny break and hit it with too much speed that it lips out..
With putting, even on short putts always come in from behind the ball and set the putter face to the line. If the approach is from side on the tendency is to get the body too far ahead which messes with lining up the putter face. In putting the ball always starts where the face is aiming. You just need to get into good habits. We all have short misses, mainly from trying to hole it on the run or back hand it.

razaar
13th June 2013, 06:18 PM
A very light grip is the key, which allows the putter to do the job it is designed for.

Courty
13th June 2013, 06:49 PM
Many times I've seen people miss short putts by tapping it one-handed from all sides. If you go through your setup routine like you would over a longer putt, you should never miss from that range.

wizard_of_oz
13th June 2013, 07:10 PM
I put a tee in the ground and keep bouncing putts off it from all directions from 1-2ft. I try and concentrate on a little 'pop' stroke similar to what Brandt Snedeker uses rather than a slow deliberate stroke. I found that severe downhill 1 footers are the best to practice because I used to try and tip-tap it down which brings too many things into play. Confident 'pop' and aim specifically. Yeah those downhill putts with a little break are the worst. Don't hit them firm enough and they trickle off path, but miss them and it's a 5 foot putt back. Might give this drill a go, sounds interesting thanks.

wizard_of_oz
13th June 2013, 07:14 PM
Raz and courty.. Quite true actually, I probably don't put enough concentration in or set up as I normally do and don't view the putt from the front, and just step in and try to tap it in as they do on TV.

markTHEblake
13th June 2013, 07:18 PM
measure out 3 feet from a hole and mark a spot (a putter length).
Start putting and dont stop until you get 100 in a row. Dont worry at all about technique, it is not important on a putt that short, just hole them.

I know your problem is 1 foot, but seriously, that is too easy.

TheNuclearOne
13th June 2013, 07:44 PM
Walk in from behind the ball on each one as part of your routine so you get the same feel for and view of the line every single time.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2013, 07:53 PM
Seriously 1 foot?
Your taking the piss arnt you?

mike
13th June 2013, 07:58 PM
Get a broomy

Steve
13th June 2013, 08:00 PM
Take your line and put with your eyes closed.

Steve
13th June 2013, 08:06 PM
That's for practice

Minor_Threat
13th June 2013, 08:39 PM
Seriously 1 foot?

That was my first thoughts also..

Yossarian
13th June 2013, 08:46 PM
Missing 1 footers happens, don't judge.

Toolish
13th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Practice
Start at 10cm from the hole...sink 100 putts in a row, if you miss one start from 0 again..., once you have 100 in a row go home.
The next session (preferably within a day or two) hole 5 from 10 cm, then 100 in a row from 20 cm.
Next time 5 from 10 cm, 5 from 20 cm, 100 from 30cm
keep going growing the distance each time.

It helps in 3 ways:
Repetition hones the stroke. You may not be perfect technically but repeatability is the key.
You learn how to turn your brain off to the other shit and just focus on what is important.
Confidence.

I few years back I got to holing 100 from 90cm...felt invincible over short putts. Due to life I have never got back to that level again!

FoxGolf
13th June 2013, 09:15 PM
measure out 3 feet from a hole and mark a spot (a putter length).
Start putting and dont stop until you get 100 in a row. Dont worry at all about technique, it is not important on a putt that short, just hole them.

I've been using this the past few weeks and it has helped my short putting heaps. Best I've done is 100 in a row from 3 feet and then 44 from 4 feet.

Johnny Canuck
13th June 2013, 09:37 PM
Always take a practice swing.

3Puttpete
13th June 2013, 09:45 PM
Heaps of practice from 3 feet. I can get nearly all of them to within 1 foot now.

mrbluu
14th June 2013, 12:15 AM
Anyone got drills or tips on under 1 foot putts? I do the circle drill but occasionally will miss the tiny tap in putts which is pretty annoying. What technique to use? Open stance? Short back stroke and long follow through? Aim dead centre and smash it through?

Copious amounts of alcohol...either before or after missing!!!

wizard_of_oz
14th June 2013, 01:26 AM
Seriously 1 foot?

Wish I was taking the piss :( ..I've missed tap in birdies twice that was about 6 inches from the hole! Could be worse, I could have been putting to win the Kraft Nabisco Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbKY7FU48U

wizard_of_oz
14th June 2013, 01:32 AM
Practice
Start at 10cm from the hole...sink 100 putts in a row, if you miss one start from 0 again..., once you have 100 in a row go home.
The next session (preferably within a day or two) hole 5 from 10 cm, then 100 in a row from 20 cm.
Next time 5 from 10 cm, 5 from 20 cm, 100 from 30cm
keep going growing the distance each time.

It helps in 3 ways:
Repetition hones the stroke. You may not be perfect technically but repeatability is the key.
You learn how to turn your brain off to the other shit and just focus on what is important.
Confidence.

I few years back I got to holing 100 from 90cm...felt invincible over short putts. Due to life I have never got back to that level again!

Like this! Thanks for the tip. :)

Dotty
14th June 2013, 07:32 AM
Missing 1 footers happens, don't judge.
Easily fixed.

Just practice knocking your wedges closer than a foot.

sms316
14th June 2013, 07:39 AM
This has to be a gee up. From 12 inches away you can hit a putt just over 10 degrees either side of dead centre and still go in.

Waddzy
14th June 2013, 07:47 AM
I've got a feeling people are over estimating the length of 1 foot, grab a 30cm ruler and mark it out and I bet its more 2-3ft where the struggles begin.

Captain Nemo
14th June 2013, 07:50 AM
This has to be a gee up. From 12 inches away you can hit a putt just over 10 degrees either side of dead centre and still go in.

Thats why i posted...dead set 6" is the length of most on here's ****'s, surely you can hole them.... (ho homo)

razaar
14th June 2013, 07:55 AM
Shaun, key in "Golfs most famous putt" on you-tube. Can you remember Hale Iwin's dismal attempt to backhand the ball from inside a foot and completely missed the ball. I think it was in a major, British Open?

PerryGroves
14th June 2013, 07:56 AM
If you go through your setup routine like you would over a longer putt, you should never miss from that range.

Trust you are taking the piss Courty.

Think I will go spare if I have to endure 4 choppers in front of me grinding over their one footers. Pick a line, walk up and hit it firm at the back of the hole, move on, the blokes behind are keen to get into the clubhouse before dark.

sms316
14th June 2013, 08:00 AM
Shaun, key in "Golfs most famous putt" on you-tube. Can you remember Hale Iwin's dismal attempt to backhand the ball from inside a foot and completely missed the ball. I think it was in a major, British Open?
I remember Lanny Watkins doing it in a Masters and missed the hole. I think he missed out on a playoff by 1.

Only someone with serious issues misses one-footers on a regular basis.

razaar
14th June 2013, 08:10 AM
Snedeker 4 Putt Collapse BMW Championship is another famous missed putt from a foot. Following 3 practice putts.:)

haysey
14th June 2013, 08:10 AM

Sadly, he isn't.

Courty
14th June 2013, 08:28 AM

I don't mean get a line from 4 different sides and then take 30 seconds to actually putt it. I mean set your feet square to the line and make a proper stroke, not reach in one-handed from an odd angle with one foot behind the other.

Sadly, he isn't.

:roll:

Dcanto
14th June 2013, 03:01 PM
Sadly, he isn't. Now that's funny. :)

Muscles
14th June 2013, 03:52 PM
Heaps of practice from 3 feet. I can get nearly all of them to within 1 foot now.

:lol:

Whats your forearm smash like?

wizard_of_oz
14th June 2013, 04:19 PM
Harsh guys, harsh. 100 putts practice here I come!

Craig_Syd
14th June 2013, 05:50 PM
Set it square and hit it hard!

BroKar
15th June 2013, 06:33 AM
My close puts now, I don't look at the hole anymore, I choose a spot and even after the put I wait to hear the sound of it dropping before lifting my head.

Works for me but I do this from 6 feet in

kiwitown
18th June 2013, 02:35 PM
look at the hole from all sides so you know how the 2 foot return putt will break..works for me!

Ty Webb
23rd June 2013, 01:34 PM
I've changed to cross-handed for 1-2 footers and my success rate has increased tenfold.

Hatchman
23rd June 2013, 01:56 PM
I've changed to cross-handed for 1-2 footers and my success rate has increased tenfold.

Have you noticed you missing by a lot less from longer range as well?

AndyP
27th July 2013, 07:54 PM
Hi. I just thought I would check in. Maybe not under 1 foot, but they were definitely sitters and they were back-to-back to make it a three putt. That shit messes with your head.

TheNuclearOne
27th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Hi. I just thought I would check in. Maybe not under 1 foot, but they were definitely sitters and they were back-to-back to make it a three putt. That shit messes with your head.

Sounds like one for the helpful Jack thread AndyP!

AndyP
27th July 2013, 08:23 PM
Nah, I've already got common sense. It was just a mental lapse.

TheNuclearOne
27th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Jack is very knowledgable and helpful on the mental side of things too AndyP. Perhaps he could set you straight. Missing back to back tap ins should not be taken lightly unless due to a hotheaded moment.

sms316
28th July 2013, 06:38 AM
I have seen 2 putts between 2 people over the last fortnight missed from inside 12 inches. They actually missed 5 between them, but after the first ones I couldn't bring myself to watch them any more. Horrid stuff. Yippers.

popper81
28th July 2013, 07:18 AM
Nah, I've already got common sense. It was just a mental lapse.

I missed two putts inside 4" yesterday....yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AndyP
28th July 2013, 07:40 AM
Jack is very knowledgable and helpful on the mental side of things too AndyP. Perhaps he could set you straight. Missing back to back tap ins should not be taken lightly unless due to a hotheaded moment.If I wanted his advice I'd email or tweet him, instead of posting in a thread where he can't answer. I think you should keep your man-love for Jack to yourself, and stop trying to force it on other people.

TheNuclearOne
28th July 2013, 09:53 AM
If I wanted his advice I'd email or tweet him, instead of posting in a thread where he can't answer. I think you should keep your man-love for Jack to yourself, and stop trying to force it on other people.

Well as they say, you can lead a horse to water!!!!!

Good luck with the tweeners Andy :D

Daves
28th July 2013, 09:54 AM
I missed two putts inside 4" yesterday....yay.

If you call angry back hand swipes putts.....:wink:

I have seen Blakey have an airy from inside 6"....:shock:

TheNuclearOne
28th July 2013, 09:55 AM
I have seen 2 putts between 2 people over the last fortnight missed from inside 12 inches. They actually missed 5 between them, but after the first ones I couldn't bring myself to watch them any more. Horrid stuff. Yippers.

The greens are super fast here at the moment after the pro am, people aren't missing from a foot but 3-6 footers are being left the same distance past the hole (or more on occasion) all too often. Three putt paradise.

popper81
28th July 2013, 09:57 AM
If you call angry back hand swipes putts.....

I missed more Saturday... I actually did a Blakey, but just tapped the ball. Not great. Poor attitude.

IamViva
28th July 2013, 10:24 AM
I missed more Saturday... I actually did a Blakey, but just tapped the ball. Not great. Poor attitude.

more beers are required to fix this

razaar
28th July 2013, 01:41 PM
It is a really perverse affliction in a perverse game. Once doubt and apprehension enters into the stroke and a twitch appears, it's time to work hard on making the stroke automatic without any thought during execution. That is the purpose of a pre putt routine and a post putt routine. Easy to say difficult to do. The funny thing about golf is the last thing we learn or introduce into our game is the first thing we forget under pressure.

Captain Nemo
17th July 2014, 10:26 PM
Anyone follow Ernie Els on twitter, maybe post this link to him!
:)

wstarks
22nd September 2014, 05:39 PM
mark and line up all of them, won't miss if you concentrate

Monsta
23rd September 2014, 10:23 AM
I have a couple of putting drills that I do at home on the carpet to help improve my putting

1: Put a coin down about 20cm away from ball and hit 20 putts that roll over the coin

2: Putt a piece of 16mm conduit/pipe, try to get the pipe to roll straight (not easy to start), this ensures that the putter face is square at contact

3: Putt a poker chip along the carpet, this makes sure that the putter is not coming up when contact is made

jocker
23rd September 2014, 01:25 PM
one handed putts - 20 in a row, start again if you miss

all putting drills needs some 'skin in the game'

hoggy33
12th October 2014, 07:48 PM
Always go through your routine, dont get careless.
also I work alot with a metronome to get my rhythm perfect for short putts.