PDA

View Full Version : Low Trajectory :|

Courty
28th June 2004, 04:37 PM
I had a bit of a discussion with a few of the boys in the charrom last night, but my mind is no clearer on the outcome. :roll:
The problem is I find that my trajectory with the driver is too low. I have a sneaking suspicion that a big part of the problem is the shaft. My setup is as follows: 400cc head/ 9* loft/ Proforce UST 75 Stiff (Tip Stiff)/ 46" long. I am taking a stab in the dark that my swing speed is 100-105mph with a reasonably flat swing plane. In the dry my distance is quite reasonable (good hits averaging 270-280m), but in the wet (no run) I lose quite a bit. I want to get more carry, and (correct me if I'm wrong) the easiest way to do this would be to get my launch angle up. Is it as simple as a re-shaft? Help! :smt100

AndyP
28th June 2004, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you need to make use of one of Terry's Launch Monitor nights. It's a shame you live 2000km away. :P

McMw
28th June 2004, 05:03 PM
try a "livelier" shaft in the UST65 stiff... :wink:
that might work...(hopefully)

been to the clubfitter yet???

I've used the USD75stiff once - OUCH!!!

gazgolf1
28th June 2004, 05:05 PM
Yep,its the shaft.
Look for something with softer tip or a low-kick shaft.

Fishman Dan
28th June 2004, 05:20 PM
What do they say? Tee it high and let it fly?

Since using my TaylorMade 300 i've been tee'ing it up pretty high and getting good ball flight. Since my swing reconstruction (or 4 month brain fart) i'm not getting good, high left-right. I don't have the big tee's at the moment, but the ones i am using are only in the ground a few mm's.

From the R7 Quad release i went to with Burger, TM are using a technology that basically means that the sweet spot is dead-centre of the face and upwards.

Hate to say it, but Jarro was right in chat last night ;)

Get some bigger T's - i mean the big bastards, it will give you the extra height to play with.

Courty
28th June 2004, 05:27 PM
What do they say? Tee it high and let it fly?
Hate to say it, but Jarro was right in chat last night ;)
Get some bigger T's - i mean the big bastards, it will give you the extra height to play with.

I have got the big bastard tees! :shock: They reckon that half the ball should be above the top of the club at rest. Well, the way I tee it, the WHOLE ball is above the clubface (and then some). I don't think this is the problem. That's why I came to the forum for a 'second opinion' :wink: :roll:

terryand
28th June 2004, 05:29 PM
Courty,how far forward in your stance do you have the ball?

Terry.

Fishman Dan
28th June 2004, 05:32 PM
I'd say my club face is about 1/4 up the ball at address.

With the newer swing the coach took me through a drill, and as a result "Topping is your friend". Easy to say when you're not playing golf with 3 strangers and your hitting the ball on the scone off the tee. ;)

Courty
28th June 2004, 05:37 PM
Courty,how far forward in your stance do you have the ball?

I tee the ball level with my left heel. I have tried pushing it further out, but wasn't comfortable with the way the swing felt. I am very comfortable with my setup and swing and am hesitant to change it after taking so long to get it where it is.

markTHEblake
28th June 2004, 07:32 PM
courty, that shaft doesnt sound too stiff for you at all, if you are right with your head speed guesstimate. Going for a softer one sounds like the worst choice.

to compare my speed is 99 and i carry it 220-230. Friend of mine is 115 and he carries it 260.

there is probably only a few reasons why anyones ball flight is too low,
1. shaft too stiff
2. technique
3. club head design feature

I reckon the best thing you can do is get your self properly checked out and measured. Anything less than that and you are just going to waste money.

and if you are so inclined have a real close look at sections of Dave Tutlemans website, there is some terrific stuff and myths exposed here.

http://www.tutelman.com/golfclubs/DesignNotes/index.php?ref=clubmakeronline

Fishman Dan
28th June 2004, 09:00 PM
Golf Club Innovations will match your swing, speed and shaft type up perfectly. Only thing is i'm sure there's a cost involved :?

Courty
28th June 2004, 09:03 PM
Golf Club Innovations will match your swing, speed and shaft type up perfectly. Only thing is i'm sure there's a cost involved :?

I'm sure they would, but I'm in Cairns... and they're not. :cry:

markTHEblake
28th June 2004, 09:46 PM

They will do the consultation for free - no obligation, as should any clubmaker. Hopefully courty can find a good one up there.

Courty
28th June 2004, 09:50 PM
Yep,its the shaft.
Look for something with softer tip or a low-kick shaft.

I think you may be right, Gaz. Found this on the UST website:

The 75 GOLD is a tip stiff, low torque wood shaft that has a little more beef to it than most standard ultra lights. This allows strong players to really go for it off the tee. The high kickpoint helps keep the ball low, and the low torque keeps the shot pattern tighter on off center hits.

OK, now I need suggestions for a good stiff shaft with a lower kickpoint.

I've been looking here (http://www.frontiergolf.com.au/index.html) and like the look of an SMT Nemesis with an Accuflex Vizion X-stiff. Any thoughts?

3oneday
29th June 2004, 06:37 AM
Have a look at the Pro Launch Blue from Graffaloy, for your swing speed no more than 65 gram (they come in 45 gram, 55, 65 etc) and go with regular and they play slightly stiffer.

They should cost you no more than $100 or very close to. If you can't get a decent ball flight with that, it's your swing plane.

Pete

Kee
29th June 2004, 07:36 AM
Courty, I had the same problem with my Adams GT363 9* drivers. The trajectory was very low. I also thought that I might reshaft the driver to get a better ball flight. I went to Golf Club Innovations and the actual angle of the driver face was 7* :shock: . No wonder It had a low trajectory. GCI said that it doesn't matter what shaft I put in there, its just due to the face angel of 7*. My swing speed is probably in the 90-95Mph mark.

Fishman Dan
29th June 2004, 07:49 AM

I'm sure they would, but I'm in Cairns... and they're not. :cry:

Well, i said there'd be a cost - just happens to be return airfares to/from Brissy ;) :oops:

BrisVegas
29th June 2004, 07:55 AM
Courty,

I recently switched my "tip-stiff", "high-kickpoint" Rifle Graphite shaft out of my driver. I was having slightly different problems (excessive torque causing blocks and cuts) to you but have found a more suited shaft to be a revelation.

I went with the Grafalloy Blue S, which is a mid-kickpoint design and much stiffer than I had. I'm not sure about how stiff the tip is, but it's not marketed as a tip stiff design. Some people don't like the Blue shafts, claiming they are "wooden". I can't say that I have noticed. I like the trajectory I am now getting and reckon the light weight and stiffness is helping me get more carry.

Like you, I use the BIG tees. My swingspeed is 105+ with pretty slow tempo. According to Tez's launch monitor I am launching now at around 13-14 degrees with my 8.5 degree driver.

Golfgirl
29th June 2004, 01:48 PM
Courty

Hubby has a naturally low ball flight and said that low kickpoint shaft may help you......

Or you could just move to Shellharbour where having a low trajectory will be of extreme use to you..... :roll: :lol:

markTHEblake
29th June 2004, 02:03 PM
The 75 GOLD is a tip stiff, low torque wood shaft that has a little more beef to it than most standard ultra lights. This allows strong players to really go for it off the tee. The high kickpoint helps keep the ball low, and the low torque keeps the shot pattern tighter on off center hits.

Maybe its a good idea to ask them how much lower is the ball flight when using the high kickpoint shafts, before you spend any money based on that marketing spiel.

From www.tutelman.com on shaft kickpoints.

In any event, the most complete study of shafts found a range of less than 2.5 inches between the lowest and the highest (kickpoint, and a range of about an inch within any one manufacturer and material)

In the second place, controlled experimental evidence does not support the notion of large changes in trajectory due to kick point. The only measurement I've ever seen suggests that the ball may fly one degree higher for each inch lower of the kick point.

mike
29th June 2004, 03:49 PM
Courty you're kiddin' me aren't ya ? :?
I've seen you hit plenty of drives and the trajectory is fine and the distance you get is awesome.
Yeah if it's boggy you lose distance but so does everybody.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Courty
29th June 2004, 06:25 PM
Have a look at the Pro Launch Blue from Graffaloy

I went with the Grafalloy Blue S, which is a mid-kickpoint design and much stiffer than I had. I'm not sure about how stiff the tip is, but it's not marketed as a tip stiff design. Some people don't like the Blue shafts, claiming they are "wooden". I can't say that I have noticed. I like the trajectory I am now getting and reckon the light weight and stiffness is helping me get more carry.

Thanks guys. I actually spoke to Terry on the dog'n'bone today about shaft variables and how they may affect my trajectory. I have taken his advice on board and am organising to try a mate's driver with a Grafalloy Blue. I will also be getting a couple of SMT's up to try soon. :twisted:

Kee, I'm positive that the clubhead is not the problem. The more I thought about it today, I realised that before I re-shafted the driver, the trajectory was fine. It is only since I put the new shaft in it that I have had the problem.

Or you could just move to Shellharbour where having a low trajectory will be of extreme use to you.....

Thanks, but I'm happy where I am. :D

Courty you're kiddin' me aren't ya ?
I've seen you hit plenty of drives and the trajectory is fine and the distance you get is awesome.
Yeah if it's boggy you lose distance but so does everybody.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Thanks, Mike, I think. :wink: The thing that frustrates me is that on 6 holes at Cairns GC, I have to allow for trees which should not even warrant consideration (1, 2, 7, 9, 12 &14). I am not able to play these holes the way I would like because of this. :evil: Maybe it's just an excuse to become more of a Ho! :shock: :roll: :wink: [/quote]

mike
29th June 2004, 07:01 PM
The thing that frustrates me is that on 6 holes at Cairns GC, I have to allow for trees which should not even warrant consideration (1, 2, 7, 9, 12 &14). I am not able to play these holes the way I would like because of this.

You want more height on 7 ? :shock: What are you gonna try clear the mango tree ?

mike
29th June 2004, 07:08 PM
Anyway , I shouldn't even be here. I usually avoid topics containing the words launch angle, stiff tip, torque and kickpoint.

Courty
29th June 2004, 08:10 PM
You want more height on 7 ? :shock: What are you gonna try clear the mango tree ?

Abso-frickin-lutely! I reckon if I got the trajectory right, I could get over it :twisted:

AndyP
29th June 2004, 10:51 PM
Anyway , I shouldn't even be here. I usually avoid topics containing the words launch angle, stiff tip, torque and kickpoint.

Do we have another anti-ho on our hands? 8)

Jarro
30th June 2004, 06:27 AM

stop trying to round up numbers AndyP, you know you'll always be a minority in here :P

Courty, i know it's probably a bit expensive but the Fuji Speeder is an awesome shaft. Kicks the ball up nice and high but also supplies plenty of carry. I can slice my ball over the tallest of trees now :lol:

give those NV's that you are about to recieve a good workout, they are also quite a good shaft.

good luck 8)

wavemaker
30th June 2004, 07:45 AM
hey courty, id love to see that. ive often wondered if it could be done.

Courty
30th June 2004, 04:15 PM
Courty, i know it's probably a bit expensive but the Fuji Speeder is an awesome shaft. Kicks the ball up nice and high but also supplies plenty of carry. I can slice my ball over the tallest of trees now :lol:

I did read about the Fujikura shafts, but the pricetags scared me away. :shock:

McMw
30th June 2004, 04:51 PM
stay away from the ProLite if u want a high ball flight... :D

I felt embarassed when I saw the cover of AGD with Jack on it...he was using a speeder...and for a man spotting me 40yrs...that's shameful... :oops:

mike
30th June 2004, 06:53 PM

You betcha.

C'mon guys, you're poisoning Courty's brain here. Up till now our equipment conversations at Cairns have been confined to " Hm , a Prolite 75. Pretty colour "

mike
30th June 2004, 06:56 PM

Abso-frickin-lutely! I reckon if I got the trajectory right, I could get over it :twisted:

By the way , I can clear it with driver/8 iron.

Courty
30th June 2004, 08:45 PM
C'mon guys, you're poisoning Courty's brain here. Up till now our equipment conversations at Cairns have been confined to " Hm , a Prolite 75. Pretty colour "

I'm actually a closet Ho, Mike. I've been reading all the equipment threads for ages, but without letting on. :wink: :D

AndyP
1st July 2004, 01:35 PM
I'm actually a closet Ho, Mike. I've been reading all the equipment threads for ages, but without letting on. :wink: :D

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :o :smt011

Jarro
1st July 2004, 01:43 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :o :smt011

another one to the good guys AndyP :wink:

AndyP
1st July 2004, 02:47 PM
I'll be on the next plane up there courty !
Forget about it g69, he's lost. Let's just rally the troops, and focus on who we have left. We may have lost Courty, but we have gained Mike.

Jarro
1st July 2004, 02:54 PM
I'll be on the next plane up there courty !
Forget about it g69, he's lost. Let's just rally the troops, and focus on who we have left. We may have lost Courty, but we have gained Mike.

now i know Courty is part of the gang, i'll get him to set upon mike :wink:

before long we'll be taking over :!:

you anti-ho's are doomed i tells ya.......... DOOMED

Courty
1st July 2004, 04:26 PM
I think Mike is having a HO-dentity crisis. He was almost finished assembling a bag that contained nothing but Titleist (never quite got the Scotty sorted), surely the sign of a HO. Then he sold/ traded his Titleist irons (more HOing) to replace them with Silver Diamonds. And last I was talking to him, he was still keen on getting another putter. Not really the behaviour of an anti-ho. :? :wink: :D

mike
1st July 2004, 11:23 PM
Whoa now hang on there a minute, big fella . :o :) The 975J has been my driver for 18 months now with no intention of getting rid of it. The Titleist irons fell into my hands for $ 150, not gonna knock back a deal like that. They were being naughty so were sold ( for a profit ) and I went BACK to the Silver Diamonds ( original clubs I bought when I started out )
The 975F and I never really got along that well. So out she went , too.
Got the Hogan irons a couple of months ago .They're here to stay. And I've had just one putter in the 5 years I've been playing. I sorted out the yips, so no need for a new putter just yet.

Me no ho.

P.S. My driver shaft is a Aldila HM2000 with about 48 jigawatts of torque and a kickpoint 73 mm below the grip. And it's a pretty colour, too.

Jarro
2nd July 2004, 06:57 AM
P.S. My driver shaft is a Aldila HM2000 with about 48 jigawatts of torque and a kickpoint 73 mm below the grip. And it's a pretty colour, too.

that sure sounds like 'ho talk to me :wink:

i think you're in denial mike :smt036

Iain
2nd July 2004, 08:56 AM
All Ho's (Including Mike) Repeat After me....

New Clubs Will Make Me Swing Better and Hit it Longer....

Fishman Dan
2nd July 2004, 09:17 AM

New Clubs Will Make Me Swing Better and Hit it Longer......

Nice - but it won't necessarily lower your scores though, will it.. :smt102 [-X

My work here is done... :smt109

terryand
2nd July 2004, 10:19 AM

Nice - but it won't necessarily lower your scores though, will it.. :smt102 [-X

My work here is done... :smt109

Did for me 8) 8)

Terry.

Golfgirl
4th July 2004, 11:15 AM
You guys just crack me up......

BTW, did I tell you all that I finally got a new driver lined up....

here's hopin'..... :wink: :lol:

Jarro
4th July 2004, 01:08 PM
BTW, did I tell you all that I finally got a new driver lined up....

well come on .... spill the beans :roll: :lol:

Golfgirl
5th July 2004, 09:48 AM
Already did over in the equipment threads.... 8) :lol:

Jarro
5th July 2004, 04:40 PM

ooohh sorry... didn't see that :oops:

AndyP
6th July 2004, 03:25 PM

ooohh sorry... didn't see that :oops:

Are you actually moderating this forum or what? :P

damoocow
6th July 2004, 08:37 PM
Jarro's idea of moderating is to get a cold midstrength and put on a Rocco DVD -oh shit sorry - that's masturbating - what were we talking about - oops!
damoocow

Jarro
6th July 2004, 08:45 PM
Jarro's idea of moderating is to get a cold midstrength and put on a Rocco DVD -oh s#$% sorry - that's masturbating - what were we talking about - oops!
damoocow

settle down Evil Gilligan :wink: :lol: